Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brightman posted:

So since we're in a middle layer with two stolen Annies, there's at least 3 layers, with 4 timelines, with the bottom two being Annie-less? I think the presence of the top layer with its own Annie makes it 2^(N-1) for Annie-less timelines. I wonder if Loup's power could even allow for infinite timelines being created at an exponential rate or if there's a cap to it maybe?

code:

Loup steals 1 Annie
					|
				Loup2 steals 2 Annies
				/                    \
			Kat3 is sad		Kat4 is sad

At the very least it's this.

Unless it's this.

Didn't the whole Jones in orbit thing establish that Loup has a major in science thingies? He probably knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

Mikl posted:

When no one was looking, Loup took two Annies. He took 2 Annies.

That's as many as two Boxbots. And Boxbot is terrible.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Annie C-137

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I wonder who died and took their fairy tales of obtuse spirit bureaucracies into the ether.
You know what they say about people who commit suicide. In the afterlife they become civil servants.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

neogeo0823 posted:

You know what they say about people who commit suicide. In the afterlife they become civil servants.

It's probably all the office workers who thought, "I've died and gone to hell" each and every day in their cubicle.

It actually reshaped hell into that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Goons worried about going from 2 Annie back to 1 Annie, but instead we're getting infinite Annie.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
At this rate, who's gonna blame Tony if he keeps a spare one for his experiments, mmh?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

YaketySass posted:

At this rate, who's gonna blame Tony if he keeps a spare one for his experiments, mmh?

This timeline's Annie accidentally died 6 months ago, and when another one showed up, Tony pretended nothing ever went wrong.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In the beginning, the Annies came back from the Forest every six months, then three, then one, then every two weeks. The last one…was a week. In four days, we could be seeing Annies arriving every eight hours until they are coming every four minutes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Don't say that they're hypocritical
Say rather that they're apolitical
"Once the Annies are here, who cares if it all goes to hell?
That's not my department" -arbiter Saslamel

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
And now for something different.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Darth TNT posted:

And now for something different.

And now... equivalent exchange.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1917

Can't wait to see that robodong

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
science goes FKSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Juliet came here just to see her boyfriend.

This is why no one wants to hang out with Annie.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Etheric jail is being told your friends are otherworldly impostors.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Coyote was really carefree and basically fueled by whim so the idea of Loup accidentally taking two Annies because he wanted to do two things with her and forgot in between things actually sounds plausible to me. And we know Ysengrin would have wanted to protect her so unconsciously pulling another Short Haired Annie from a timeline where she was warned off makes sense. What doesn't quite make sense to me is nobody suspects that Short Hair doesn't belong. They just saw it as she went to the forest and came back.

So the only thing I can think of to patch that hole is for there to be a third Annie that actually belongs here and was removed somehow (swiped, killed?) sometime after she left to go to the forest... :psypop:

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 19, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Original Annie can't come back, she was stolen by Loup to replace the Annie Loup stole from Loup.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

CrashCat posted:

What doesn't quite make sense to me is nobody suspects that Short Hair doesn't belong. They just saw it as she went to the forest and came back.

Eh, I dunno why that doesn't make sense? They saw Annie go into the forest, come out later as they expected would eventually happen, and then lived and worked with her for like 6 months before some other Annie showed up. They had a lot of time to accept the first one as the real Annie and never had any reason not to think that until much later.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
The forest is frozen in time and Annie is still there frozen with the rest of it. Loup is unfreezing copies and sending them in as necessary.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, I dunno why that doesn't make sense? They saw Annie go into the forest, come out later as they expected would eventually happen, and then lived and worked with her for like 6 months before some other Annie showed up. They had a lot of time to accept the first one as the real Annie and never had any reason not to think that until much later.
It doesn't make sense unless there's a third Annie, if these two really don't belong and really nobody noticed a problem, some other Annie had to be around before and disappeared for some reason, whether they died or got moved to another timeline or are just lost out there. I assume we'll see at least some evidence of third Annie at some point though just to really screw with the readers, but I would be surprised if the two Annies actively seek it out.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
y'all assuming Annie prime was displaced recently when in reality it happened years ago

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

dragon enthusiast posted:

y'all assuming Annie prime was displaced recently when in reality it happened years ago

Yeah, that's possible too, Coyote could've swapped her around at any point in the story probably.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Brightman posted:

Yeah, that's possible too, Coyote could've swapped her around at any point in the story probably.

Probably when the art style changed. Original Annie was polygonal.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Obviously, it happened before the comic began. We don't know how Annie came to be. For all we know, she's just a timeshifted Surma, who slowly ate herself. Old Surma was surprisingly okay with that, but Tony not so much. The only way he is so close to "Annie" is that Surma made him raise her as his daughter.

That's actually terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There Bias Two posted:

Probably when the art style changed. Original Annie was polygonal.

Gasp, it all makes sense now.

No one's head suddenly stops being a football!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Here's what I actually think:

When he went to check which Annie belonged in this timeline, he saw that Annie "shouldn't" be around at all. This will turn out to be unrelated to Loup's recent prank, and have more to do with Annie's fire elemental nature or psychopomp debt or something.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

In the beginning, the Annies came back from the Forest every six months, then three, then one, then every two weeks. The last one…was a week. In four days, we could be seeing Annies arriving every eight hours until they are coming every four minutes.

In a decade, "Annie" is going to be more an ethnicity than a person. In 15 years they'll have no choice but to colonize space because Earth can't accommodate them all. The average human will be a ginger woman with a Yorkshire accent.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

When he went to check which Annie belonged in this timeline, he saw that Annie "shouldn't" be around at all. This will turn out to be unrelated to Loup's recent prank, and have more to do with Annie's fire elemental nature or psychopomp debt or something.

I bet she was supposed to die falling off the bridge and the entire comic is leading up to the whoever is behind the TicTocs intervention to save her life retroactively, cos a lot of poo poo wouldn't have happened if Annie had died then.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

madjack posted:

I bet she was supposed to die falling off the bridge and the entire comic is leading up to the whoever is behind the TicTocs intervention to save her life retroactively, cos a lot of poo poo wouldn't have happened if Annie had died then.

It'll turn out that Kat is the one who set Diego and the TicTocs in motion retroactively after achieving godhood.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Maldraedior posted:

The forest is frozen in time and Annie is still there frozen with the rest of it. Loup is unfreezing copies and sending them in as necessary.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Didn't Annie have a whole vacation summer in the Forest?

That seems like the absolute perfect opportunity to convince Annie to stay and send a clone in her place. Perhaps that is the memory sealed in the Goose Bone. And since the Annie that came back was shifted, when Loup pulled the same trick, no one was the wiser.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, that was my other thought too. A bit more boring than three Annies but probably more likely if I have to be honest. If that's the case then I hope they don't actually go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what the arbiter's assistant meant.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's ALIVE! ALIVE! :science: Also briefs! :goku:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
drat I dont know what I was expecting but not that. Ffs Kat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CYBERPANTS

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEx8__ie6bg

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mimesweeper posted:

welp, now we know why Kat-in-the-future is the Machine God and her power is leaking backwards in time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mimesweeper posted:

Hey, this body was made to Arthur's specifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clearly some of you remember more than I do. What are you all freaking out about?