Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

White/Barb/Rang/Sam meant that bosses were a breeze. Random encounters were surprisingly painful as I was stuck doing damage with basic attacks until rapid fire.
Shinryu and exdeath were trivial. The party have healing, buffs, the ability to berserk and tons of damage.

Omega was a bit of a pain. Rapid fire triggers counters twice, and confusion was a real danger with the deadweight barb.
The plan was to reflect his search to let the ranger freely attack twice per reflect. Seven attacks to kill meant that he had to go through his script three times. It took a lot of resets until he eventually died.

In retrospect I could have leveled so that I could kill him in 6 hits (~8 more levels) or gambled more on early counters. It would probably have taken less time than resetting over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ah poo poo, is there somewhere to get Esuna if you missed it in Karnak?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

You can buy it in world 2 like the rest of Level 4 white magic, yeah.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Shoehead posted:

Butes' hometown

derra
Dec 29, 2012

blinking beacon nose posted:

Monk / Red / Geo / Dancer was pretty good for W1. It'll be fine forever, I'm sure. :downsgun:

I'm noticing that Monk is really starting to lose her potency but I'm going to assume that she gets it back. And sure, she might take around three times more damage than I'd like, but she also has maybe 1.5x the HP so it works out. :downsgun:

Though Dancer + Main Gauche is decent when she's not spamming Mystery Waltz. Sometimes blocking attacks and sometimes dealing a lot of damage is sometimes good. I'm looking forward to the equipment that raises the probability of Sword Dance, probably the one thing that'll make this class (maybe this whole drat party) halfway viable till the endgame.

And one of my classes can break rods and use staves! That's pretty good. :downsgun:

Dancer is the inverse of Monk; it starts off sucking but is great late game. Giving it Barehand for the Monk's strength is an obvious combo, and remember Dance never breaks Sleep, so if an enemy is vulnerable yoy can murder it.

Grats to those doing the <100 runs, and let me know if I missed someone (I edit the original post). I've done the Catoblepas RNG before, but these days with Time I would have wailed on Almagest and then Quickleaked it when the screen was shaking

Also I do use the ATB bars, especially on setting up Stop on heavies to avoid counters (Titan, Omega).

derra fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 19, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

After getting Knight and Monk, I tried the !Guard + Counter strategy against Gil Turtle. As long as you don't mess up the inputs, it's technically foolproof, because it completely negates his attacks. I wouldn't even have needed Float since killing an enemy with a counter doesn't trigger the React: Death script.

However, I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you're playing on an emulator and can thus automate the process. Lenna did a pathetic ~850 damage on a counter, and even that only when she didn't miss due to Gil Turtle's respectable evasion. The fight took over 30 minutes in real-time.

Forget Omega and Shinryu, the real superboss is the Gil Turtle.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah somehow I didnt have money for Esuna, I bought too many rods!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoehead posted:

Woah somehow I didnt have money for Esuna, I bought too many rods!

First select your berserker, then select the wild nakks.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Esuna isn't worth it. Items can be cheaply bought, used by everybody* and don't cost MP. For sleep or confuse, never sell Lenna's starting Knife; it will do no damage to anyone wearing anything more than "tattered rags" but will break the effect. Healing Staff is better obviously if you can use it.

That leaves Old, and Esuna doesn't restore the lost levels, only prevents you from losing more. This is really only a problem for, what, three potential bosses - SoulCannon, Calofisteri and the optional Gilgy fight?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

derra posted:

That leaves Old, and Esuna doesn't restore the lost levels, only prevents you from losing more. This is really only a problem for, what, three potential bosses - SoulCannon, Calofisteri and the optional Gilgy fight?

NED too.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
if it's an option I wanna have it open to me. Which is why I have that one summon who I think just binds for a turn?

Also holy hell I've never seen Galuf's underwear and kneehighs before, I love how dancer looks

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Apparently, passive Berserk (at least on GBA) isn't on always, it takes a tiny amount of time to be applied at the start of a battle.

How do I know? Because Lenna managed to get Rocket Punch'd instantly, confusing her, THEN she turned berserk, which would have prevented the confusion!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah there's a chance in Grand Cross I guess.

Realistically the main fight I struggle with levels on is *fricken Antlion* and Esuna does nothing against Dischord.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

White Mage / Zerker / Bard / Samurai. Purobolos is going to be a pain, but no more than the natural Knight/Thief/WM/BM funrun I was doing before this.

Also, free multitarget stop is seeming real good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

White Mage / Zerker / Bard / Samurai. Purobolos is going to be a pain, but no more than the natural Knight/Thief/WM/BM funrun I was doing before this.

Also, free multitarget stop is seeming real good.

Zeninage will shut down Purobolos easily. And the stop song is among the weakest of the Bard's abilities, so have fun.

Shoehead posted:

Also holy hell I've never seen Galuf's underwear and kneehighs before, I love how dancer looks

Source

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shoehead posted:

if it's an option I wanna have it open to me. Which is why I have that one summon who I think just binds for a turn?

I have used Remora to avoid Titan's death Earth Shaker. Also Remora Grand Cross (do not Remora Grand Cross)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Will !xfight/!rapidfire allow me to keep using monk as a physical attacker(since it sets defense to 0) or should I just slot summoner for the entire game?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

I have used Remora to avoid Titan's death Earth Shaker. Also Remora Grand Cross (do not Remora Grand Cross)

I once calm-locked a pissy boss mode Grand Coif because I mismanaged my damage numbers.

I've never been more terrified by a NED fight in my life.

DalaranJ posted:

Will !xfight/!rapidfire allow me to keep using monk as a physical attacker(since it sets defense to 0) or should I just slot summoner for the entire game?

The issue with Monk is that unless you grind your nuts off, their damage falls off because their "weapon" power sucks. At normal levels to beat the game (the mid 30s), their fists are only like 70 attack power weapons, compared to the weakest thing in the sealed weapon pool at 82 (the Flame Lash).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

The issue with Monk is that unless you grind your nuts off, their damage falls off because their "weapon" power sucks. At normal levels to beat the game (the mid 30s), their fists are only like 70 attack power weapons, compared to the weakest thing in the sealed weapon pool at 82 (the Flame Lash).

On the other hand, their punches can do critical hits, and that's not affected by RapidFire. The critical hit chance is 12%, so over the course of one RapidFire, you've got roughly a 21% chance of no crits, a 35% chance of one, a 26% chance of two, and an 18% chance of three or more.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I once calm-locked a pissy boss mode Grand Coif because I mismanaged my damage numbers.

I've never been more terrified by a NED fight in my life.

I have devoted characters to do this (not as desperation on enrage, but just to shut down a piece), and I also like siccing Blue Mages to just spam Mind Blast at GC.

A recent NED scare of my own - I Kiss of Blessing & Dark Sighed Fight (GBA) and ignored it for last, thinking that a Blind Berserked NED piece wouldn't do much.

Then the Meteors started.

Obviously I had Chemist so I pulled through but that was a scramble.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Kinda dangerous on the last part, rushing through berserked Shinryu with Faris' Dragon Whisker, but whatever works :shrug:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

derra posted:

I ended up confusing some gaelcats to float me and skipped his gently caress you attack

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

derra posted:

Oh, didn't notice this one until SC linked it.

link

Counted these, great work everyone :tipshat:

Going to count this as well, haha

(Is listing posts like this too spammy?)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Took a lot of tries because I forgot to equip Thief Gloves. Good thing Chemists are extremely broken.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MagusDraco posted:

Thief Knife mugging took Faris until half of NED was dead and the last part was almost dead so I had to kill Lenna but it's done. I got me my two Ragnaroks.

Procrastine posted:

Double Ragna you say?

Neo Exdeath did NOT want to give up his sword, but it happened in the end. Triple crowned with Red/Zerk/Chem/Monk.

1234567890num posted:

Took a lot of tries because I forgot to equip Thief Gloves. Good thing Chemists are extremely broken.

Awesome. :getin: Two down, eight slots Three down, seven slots in the annals of double apocalypse glory left!

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 19, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Awesome. :getin: Two down, eight slots in the annals of double apocalypse glory left!

Procrastine posted:

Double Ragna you say?

rude <:mad:>

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

wtf I went through like 3 pages looking for mentions of it

I blame the headache I have from being on the same conference call at work for 3 hours :negative:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

agradine posted:

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Done!

Also, this was my very first time doing this:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hempuli posted:

Counted these, great work everyone :tipshat:

Man I totally forgot about your pledge, I was just so fuckin pumped that my run ended as dramatically as THE RUN did

Thank you for donating

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

derra posted:

Dancer is the inverse of Monk; it starts off sucking but is great late game. Giving it Barehand for the Monk's strength is an obvious combo, and remember Dance never breaks Sleep, so if an enemy is vulnerable yoy can murder it.

Grats to those doing the <100 runs, and let me know if I missed someone (I edit the original post). I've done the Catoblepas RNG before, but these days with Time I would have wailed on Almagest and then Quickleaked it when the screen was shaking

Also I do use the ATB bars, especially on setting up Stop on heavies to avoid counters (Titan, Omega).

Don't forget you can give Monk equip ribbon and they get access to a single weapon at the end of the game :eng101:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Current combined level is 92. Could TC easily (because Winner team is absurd), but eh. :effort:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you did the Fiesta last year, submitted (a) victory pic(s) through the website, and no Awaiting Verification is showing up on your Fiesta page, click the link under History for last year. They might have been submitted for a run from last year.

I submitted mine through the website, then decided to look at my runs from last year, and noticed that the last run, which I never finished, had icons saying it was awaiting verification for beating the game and Omega. As I noted a few posts up from this, this was my first time ever beating Omega. All I can guess is that some code didn't get changed for this year, so it's still processing victories as last year. I tweeted Eric about it, but he's probably asleep right now, so it may be awhile before he see it...

Edit
He just confirmed that it was a bug, and that it should be fixed now. If you submitted via website, and don't see the Awaiting Verification icons, try submitting again.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 19, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Does the rod store exist in W3 or does it get voided?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

agradine posted:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

You got it, Chief.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

DalaranJ posted:

Does the rod store exist in W3 or does it get voided?

you can get all four rods in world 3, Karnak and werewolf town are still around.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

you can get all four rods in world 3, Karnak and werewolf town are still around.

It's important to note that anywhere that has a piano is safe from the Void.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You know what? Red Mage's alright.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

It's important to note that anywhere that has a piano is safe from the Void.
And equally important to not shorthand this, because Lix has two songs but no piano and that's not accessible in W3 at all.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And equally important to not shorthand this, because Lix has two songs but no piano and that's not accessible in W3 at all.

Lix is Bartz's hometown? That only has one. The Library also has a missable song though that is only attainable for a brief time in W3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yeah I think Lix has one and Istory has one. Does Istory survive the Void? Can’t remember.