Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol "He [Chris] is obligated to give us nothing"

Words and sentence structure are important, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPpIzaanhY

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

SPOILER ALERT!

Community voted no. ........because of course they did.
They'll buy anything if they can use it as an LTI token.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Holy loving whiplash, that was at 108 this morning, now it's back up to 109.

A net movement of -9 since they announced the Beta date for SQ42.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCx32lrBSNQ

At 17:13, the part Kickstarter Related Stress starts. I mean, yeah, he got only 113k and the project is a realtime strategy game on diskette in box and everything that runs on an 4.77Mhz IBM compatible.
Parts I found interesting:
- The panic he describes when he hit technical roadblocks while having spent a good amount of the money on other resources. In the end he asked an x86 assembler guru for help. Imagine Chris Roberts saying "Listen, I'am not knowledgable enough to solve this problem, I need help". Yeah, I can't neither.
- Chose some cheap copyshop for the boxes to save money. Yeah, CIG wasting money, unthinkable.
- A quite accurate plan which money went to what (equipment, manufacturing).
- He talks about actual stress to complete due to kickstarter because he would have needed to go into debt in case he couldn't complete. Which lead me to the question: At which point is a Kickstarter considered failed?

Anyway, it was quite interesting to listen to a guy that actually seemed commited to deliver on what he promised and felt some kind of obligation to the backers. CIG in constrast just looks like a giant opium den for Chris to dick around in and some junior devs to learn their ropes.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 19, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol "He [Chris] is obligated to give us nothing"

Words and sentence structure are important, folks.

I'm with tferroato - he will give us something amazing. Sadly tferroato no longer exists.

Found this, though.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's crazy they have this intricate and complicated virtual goods economy when few of the virtual goods even exist

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/humanevil51/status/1141371752871800834

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Come to think of it I might need an explanation of what insurance is. Do you only get a single copy of a ship without it, never to respawn? And assume it's something that's not even turned on yet because of the lack of persistence?

It's only been 7-8 years now, do you really think CIG would have stuff like this ironed out? What do you think this is?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's crazy they have this intricate and complicated virtual goods economy when few of the virtual goods even exist

Tell me friend, how versed are you in the modern economy? Have you considered the word of our Lord and Savior Bitcoin?

The whole something for nothing industry has gotten juiced since cryptocurrencies turned up and you could 'mine coins with your computer', leading to this current weird gestalt where everything is possible, you just have to imagine it and put it in front of dumbfucks.

Which I wouldn't entirely mind, but they're so goddamned loud about their ignorance. Same as backers and their 'you can just join up computers to make a super computer - A hack from the 90s said'.

It's partially because of the entire financial services industry being effectively _magic_ to a whole segment of the population. This is why Etrade and Scotttrade, as well as the upstarts like Robinhood are only too happy to deal directly with the public. Chum in the water for the millisecond 0.0002% volume trades and the quick boom/bust cycles to _extract_ value from whatever foot the public puts in the water. Sure you can make money like this, but mostly people are simply throwing their cash at a dream.

Like Star Citizen. Except this isn't dead money to them; it's the front door to a better world, a better universe than the one they currently have. I'd be extremely happy if it actually turned into everything they wanted and more, because they'd gently caress off from other games, but unfortunately the human experience is replete with self-serving individuals heading for the hills with a bag marked 'swag'.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

"I wonder if now people will sort of appreciate the time and effort that needs to be injected to build a house on sand"

No, why would anyone appreciate wasted time and effort?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ItvwYv-fc

ObsidianAnt's description of Infinity Battlescape is :discourse:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The shilling here is so transparent that it made me wonder if there is a legal way to compel CIG to reveal all the reddit/twitter/spectrum accounts that are under their control, either directly by customer service or through an intermediary like Agency Oasis. Like maybe Crytek could find a way to ask for the names all their sock puppet accounts in discovery if they are in fact communicating on behalf of CIG. Or if they can find payments to overseas 3rd world upvote farms on the books.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: BoredGamer looks for the silver lining in the collapse of Amazon Gaming Studios...

"It could be that they're not struggling at all... It could be that they're struggling a lot."

Thank you, Bored, for your continuing explication of the obvious and mundane.

Highlight moment.

"A so-called engine?! I mean it IS an engine! A game engine!"
(reading)
"...wasn't built for the kind of multiplayer games Amazon wanted to make and the company's efforts to retool it have proved difficult."
(reacting)
"So this is an OPINION of someone that they talked to rather than... factual... it's ANECDOTAL."

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: BoredGamer looks for the silver lining in the collapse of Amazon Gaming Studios...

"It could be that they're not struggling at all... It could be that they're struggling a lot."

Dozens of employees gone, not great, not horrifying. Just keep pouring cash into the reactor funding tracker

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

Highlight moment.

(reading)
"...wasn't built for the kind of multiplayer games Amazon wanted to make and the company's efforts to retool it have proved difficult."
(reacting)
"So this is an OPINION of someone that they talked to rather than... factual... it's ANECDOTAL."

lol thank you for watching this G0RF

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

That is not just mundane, it is just loving stupid. That can be obvious when there is no news at all. Could go either way. But we had news so it is a loving stupid thing to say.

G0RF posted:

He is really loving stupid and dumb. How would he propose to make that statement factual anyways? We have Amazon developers stating their own engine is not suited for multiplayer, pretty solid "anecdote" if you ask me, what else do you need.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 19, 2019

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I've never seen 1 second of these guys videos, but my gut reaction on seeing screenshots of them is as follows:

BoredGamer:
Eeyore teaching me how to build something with Redstone in Minecraft would be more interesting than this guy's videos.

Montoya:
This guy just looks really dumb.

Captain Richard:
His face looks like the most basic of Wacky Fake Surprise YouTube Thumbnail Man templates and that makes me automatically hate him.

Rex:
If cut, he will bleed Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

The Titanic posted:

:lol:

I...

:lol:

I'm not sure what joke to make here. I feel embarrassed for the developers at CIG who are making this stuff that's literally starting to look like some of the stuff people build when they are starting to learn how keyframes work in some 3D program.

This is bad guys. I'm super sorry, but this is pretty silly and bad and you should feel silly for trying to ever imagine an elevator like this, even in a future of infinite possibilities.

Let's be honest, this elevator is a symptom of the "Chris Roberts school of arse backwards game design".

So the level has been built, much time has been invested into building the environment and layout of the area, and many many weeks have been put into polishing the thing to gently caress.

But oh wait, there's a fundamental issue with the level! And because we didn't prototype it, and because we didn't iterate that prototype, we're now up poo poo creek.

Because we focused on stupid details before even getting the fundamentals right we are now in a position where so much work and time has been invested based on a flawed design that we now have to shoe-horn in this ridiculous elevator just to make the level work!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Tsar Mikey posted:

BoredGamer:
Eeyore teaching me how to build something with Redstone in Minecraft would be more interesting than this guy's videos.

:laugh:

Tsar Mikey posted:

Captain Richard:
His face looks like the most basic of Wacky Fake Surprise YouTube Thumbnail Man templates and that makes me automatically hate him.

:master::vince::master:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ItvwYv-fc

ObsidianAnt's description of Infinity Battlescape is :discourse:

G0RF posted:

Highlight moment.

(reading)
(reacting)

Great find! :hfive:

I worry that BoredGamer will have a breakdown if Squadron 42 fails, Star Citizen releases incomplete, CIG collapses, etc

:ohdear:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

Great find! :hfive:

I worry that BoredGamer will have a breakdown if Squadron 42 fails, Star Citizen releases incomplete, CIG collapses, etc

:ohdear:

Nah the real fun one to watch will be Montoya´s :gary:

Boredgamer will likely capitulate and acquiesce. Montoya´s mental gymnastics will be epic though.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

"it's not P2W, it's fundraising" is one of the dumbest loving takes I've seen, holy poo poo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

He is really loving stupid and dumb. How would he propose to make that statement factual anyways? We have Amazon developers stating their own engine is not suited for multiplayer, pretty solid "anecdote" if you ask me, what else do you need.

He's not really that dumb; I mean he is getting something for producing such puffery, even if it's just the platform ad share. He's also defending something that he's part of, so heavy scads of bias there.

It's worthwhile noting that the 'anecdotal' thing usually only comes into play where it's possible to test something under controlled circumstances, so the first time most cockwombles hear about 'anecdotal evidence', they believe that the counter is 'factual' rather than being either double-blinded tests, or in the case of humans, getting them to give the evidence again under the punishment of perjury.

I believe the best evidence against Lumberyard being not ready for the kind of experience tarred with the epithet 'MMO' is the sheer vacuum of games proudly displaying the 'Made with Lumberyard' badge.

Asmodai_00 posted:

"it's not P2W, it's fundraising" is one of the dumbest loving takes I've seen, holy poo poo

He's not actually wrong, though. It IS fundraising, it's just that the marks don't realise it and believe that it's actually P2W. Oh, they'll swear that it isn't, that they're not after competitive advantage. They'll probably even suggest that they're happy to have funded development, and it'll be fine if this doesn't happen; Chris tried his best.

Don't be fooled, they believe it's pay-to-win, it's the only reason they keep paying.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 19, 2019

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

You worry me dude, you've been sitting on these for a year, or have them archived for the right time or something!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

reverend crabhands posted:

You worry me dude, you've been sitting on these for a year, or have them archived for the right time or something!

Mirificus is a bot, it has everything archived

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's not pay to win, it's fundraising! Nevermind that these two things are not mutually exclusive and actually go hand in hand every single time, look at the new spaceship!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

He's not really that dumb; I mean he is getting something for producing such puffery, even if it's just the platform ad share. He's also defending something that he's part of, so heavy scads of bias there.

Yeah. In many respects, the endless dev cycle has benefited him more than most. He’s got the coziest gig of the Star Citizen profiteers, pulls in enough bank to have paid staff, gets free access to guys like Erin for kid glove exclusives, sits near the top of the referral pyramid, and doesn’t have to grind and perform for hours a day like Rexzilla to make coin.

He certainly chose his niche well. He’s gotta be looking at guys like BadNewsBaron & Richard these days and thinking, “there but for the grace of God go I.”

Tsar Mikey posted:

Captain Richard:

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/1139337396422471680

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what is it with beardos on twitch/youtube and that loving face?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Daztek posted:

Mirificus is a bot, it has everything archived

Maybe he is archiving us too :witch:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

While the game isn't interesting, you still have to pretend it is.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

Haemimont sure gets around. I think their last 3 or 4 games have all had different publishers. Surviving Mars was published by Paradox, for example.

Sluts of the gaming world then?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Sluts of the gaming world then?

It's why I've declared fidelity to CIG.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its not just on the internet, its in real life. Beardy wierdies are everywhere these days. They are back in fashion.

In another 20-30 years the young generation will look back on this time with horror. That is if there is anyone left alive after the ice caps melt. Still, maybe Star Citizen will be in beta by then.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Agony Aunt posted:

Its not just on the internet, its in real life. Beardy wierdies are everywhere these days. They are back in fashion.

In another 20-30 years the young generation will look back on this time with horror. That is if there is anyone left alive after the ice caps melt. Still, maybe Star Citizen will be in beta by then.

no i mean the fake shock youtube thumbnail face.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Views

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

It's why I've declared fidelity to CIG.

:razz:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I think it's just a sign of the times. For a while every ad looked like this:

Then a little later we got these:

Then we slid abruptly into

Then we spent a couple decades in the land of the generic

And now it's all this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/1139337396422471680/photo/1

I think ultimately we have to just wait it out.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh, those!

Yeah, i just want to kidnap those people, chop their limbs off, cover their faces in poo poo, and anally rape them, just to see what expression they have on their faces after that. Then post it to youtube.

Oh, hello FBI! Just kidding of course.

Ahem...

Yeah, anyway, here is one of the kings of the douchebags of silly faces.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Matroix/videos

I mean, can you honestly say you wouldn't like 5 minutes alone with him and a baseball bat?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, 400 server error is the worst.

Edit: gently caress you fixed that fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Zadda posted:

There was a Forbes article (first on their website then in the magazine) which made the citizens pretty mad as mentioned some previously unknown stuff like that Sandi tried to strangle Chris and there was a restraining order against her :v:
Also Crytek has new lawyers.

Nice!