Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying my best to make Shedinja work (Alpha Sapphire), but boy oh boy it's not going too well. How do you use Shedinja?
Silver Wind and pray, basically. I love Shedinja's gimmick but imo it's a garbage pokemon to use in its generation. Gen 4+ you get things like Swords Dance and X-Scissor, so with a focus sash you can deal some serious damage, but otherwise... ehhhhhh, I've never put in the effort while playing Gen 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Last fight against Red? Horrible level spike, yay!

I remember using the Onix you get traded in Violet City against his Pikachu

Level 45 Onix, got Charmed, then one-shot a level 81 Pikachu with Earthquake anyway

It's not that hard a fight, and a team in the sixties can easily demolish either his Gen II/IV team

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying my best to make Shedinja work (Alpha Sapphire), but boy oh boy it's not going too well. How do you use Shedinja?

In Ubers with ally swap.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Moriatti posted:

They were also explicitely after Ghost Pokemon (since they had the SILPH Scope) at one point, which are the only pokemon that are supposed to be able to take Psychic Pokemon (even though that's not the case in gen 1.)

The only thing tying the mansion to Rocket is pretty weak, it's that you can find almost all of their common pokemon there (namely koffing, raticate and muk)

there's also that the cinnabar lab created porygon which can only be acquired in the rocket run game corner also provides a link to team rocket gathering fossils

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Moriatti posted:

In Ubers with ally swap.

Not sure what this means but I'm just going the story right now

Also, bring back Game Corners! With slot machines!!

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Farecoal posted:

They're referring to a competitive doubles metagame, in which Shedinja has a super niche spot.

Otherwise yeah it's only useful if you can accurately read if its opposing Pokémon has a move to hit it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was about to say that I didn't think Shedinja could actually learn Ally Switch but I looked it up and I guess that's an ultra-SM tutor move. Cool

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, basically Shedinja is good for dunking on people who know very little Pokemon or a niche in a competitive metagame.

In the story you can probably use it to pivot?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If Gen IX isn't Fusions, then what's the point in continuing to make new pokemon

https://twitter.com/Ni_Cd0173/status/1141353232083537920

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

Agreed, Emerald is the best mainline Pokemon game, and the second best Pokemon game overall (best being Pokemon Snap, the only nonviolent FPS ever made).

I keep wanting every new game to grab me like Emerald did, and they just fall short. Hell, I didn't even play Emerald as my first - I started with Blue, then went Silver, then skipped gen 3 and didn't play Emerald until after I finished Diamond. Emerald just has the best range of pokemon, the best concept, the Whismur line being introduced right before a bat cave (making me immune to supersonic and, after giving it rock smash (I think? there was a fighting move, anyway) making it the only poke you needed to get through what is always a Bullshit Cave (and cementing my love for the line) and just. gently caress yeah, gen 3, gently caress yeah Emerald, I want the new game to remind me of Emerald so badly.

Gen 3 is hands down my favorite Gen and yes I love Omega Ruby and Alpha sapphire too for making the villain teams better and letting us fly around the map on our legendary. Also diving and swimming around the ocean floor ruled.

Edit: I aIso remember thinking they also knew how to show proper loving respect for the their dead and didn't convert their cemeteries into godforsaken radio towers. How utterly hosed is that? That's like asking for some Grudge poo poo.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Whalley posted:

Silver Wind and pray, basically. I love Shedinja's gimmick but imo it's a garbage pokemon to use in its generation. Gen 4+ you get things like Swords Dance and X-Scissor, so with a focus sash you can deal some serious damage, but otherwise... ehhhhhh, I've never put in the effort while playing Gen 3

It has a distinctive niche of being untouchable by Kyogre, altho gen 4 plus that obviously was made harder with rocks being everywhere. I have no clue if it still fills that niche ever I just know in earlier gens it saw rare play

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Blaziken386 posted:

On my current run of HG, I wanted Yanmega, Weavile, and Gliscor on my final team.

Yanma: has a one percent chance of appearing in the route after goldenrod

Late to this, but Yanma is a Swarm pokemon. Bug Catcher Arnie (on that same route, next to the cuttable tree that leads to Sudowoodo) will call you about it. When swarming 50% of the encounters are Yanma.

Yanma was my second to last pokemon in Gold, next to Raikou. I got the 1% encounter because Arnie wouldn't loving call me. After I caught it I deleted everyone's phone except his and Joey and he called 9 times for swarms before I caught Raikou.

Just passed through Goldenrod in Silver, registered Arnie's #, and he called with a swarm within the time it took to bring the letter to the guy who gives the Nightmare TM and get back to Goldenrod.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Loathe it or hate it, it seems like we are stuck with the Galar Dex. What I want to know is, what would an idealized version of such a Dex look like, if we carried forward the most popular Pokémon from each Generation, and let the unloved die on the vine. If you care to weigh in, I've created a poll here: https://forms.gle/cQ3kpaMt8y53kBLT6 . There are already a couple hundred responses, but a previous version of a poll that went around last week asking for people to choose their singular favorite Pokémon hit 50k+, so I'd like to get a similar turnout to have good data to compare against.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Vinylshadow posted:

If Gen IX isn't Fusions, then what's the point in continuing to make new pokemon

https://twitter.com/Ni_Cd0173/status/1141353232083537920

I got your back, fellow trainer.

... that should totally say chode.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Klungar posted:

Loathe it or hate it, it seems like we are stuck with the Galar Dex. What I want to know is, what would an idealized version of such a Dex look like, if we carried forward the most popular Pokémon from each Generation, and let the unloved die on the vine. If you care to weigh in, I've created a poll here: https://forms.gle/cQ3kpaMt8y53kBLT6 . There are already a couple hundred responses, but a previous version of a poll that went around last week asking for people to choose their singular favorite Pokémon hit 50k+, so I'd like to get a similar turnout to have good data to compare against.

Gosh darn it, it's hard picking just five families from Gen V.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

d3lness posted:

Nidoslash & Sandrina

Why is everything with Magnemite terrifying

Domer is a good boy

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Pentaro posted:

Gosh darn it, it's hard picking just five families from Gen V.

Gen 5 was the sneaky hardest generation for me to pick as well. Gens 6 and 7 I had to struggle to get to 5, but I thought Gen 1 would be the hardest to pick.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

think of trainer school as "the first gym but not really" - it's less "hburr fire is super effective on grass" and more "go fight some easy trainers then a less easy one"

the first island in general is kinda tutorial-y, but after that? eh.

There's cutscenes and poo poo like every 5 minutes. The game holds your hand so hard you lose circulation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Klungar posted:

Loathe it or hate it, it seems like we are stuck with the Galar Dex. What I want to know is, what would an idealized version of such a Dex look like, if we carried forward the most popular Pokémon from each Generation, and let the unloved die on the vine.

Even with an idealised version of the dex... I think it's the old starters that's going to really piss people off. Old starters aren't part of later regional dexes, and people get fond of their starters. They like to carry them on and bring them in. I'll bet old starters make up a decent proportion of people's imported pokemon overall, and they'll definitely be gone.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

d3lness posted:

There's an expanded one here: https://japeal.com/pkm/

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Even with an idealised version of the dex... I think it's the old starters that's going to really piss people off. Old starters aren't part of later regional dexes, and people get fond of their starters. They like to carry them on and bring them in. I'll bet old starters make up a decent proportion of people's imported pokemon overall, and they'll definitely be gone.

Charizard is the Champion's main Pokémon, so that line is in at least, and depending on how you count them, Pikachu and Eevee are already confirmed to be in the game. I'd expect some more to make the cut as well. Don't want to give away results until the survey is done, but as you might expect, each Generation currently has a starter in the Top 5 families for that Generation, and several have multiple. Gen 1 currently has all 3 in the Top 5. However, there are a number of starters that clearly have little popularity and wouldn't be mourned if they didn't come over.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Klungar posted:

Charizard is the Champion's main Pokémon, so that line is in at least, and depending on how you count them, Pikachu and Eevee are already confirmed to be in the game. I'd expect some more to make the cut as well. Don't want to give away results until the survey is done, but as you might expect, each Generation currently has a starter in the Top 5 families for that Generation, and several have multiple. Gen 1 currently has all 3 in the Top 5. However, there are a number of starters that clearly have little popularity and wouldn't be mourned if they didn't come over.
Torterra better be in the list :rant:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

MikeJF posted:

I have brought my Torterra from Pearl into every game to make a victory lap through that region's league to get the ribbon. I really hope that A'Tuin doesn't have to sit this one out. :(

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Dienes posted:

There's an expanded one here: https://japeal.com/pkm/

Well, it passed my QA testing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Whalley posted:

Torterra better be in the list :rant:

Ziddar posted:

I have brought my Torterra from Pearl into every game to make a victory lap through that region's league to get the ribbon. I really hope that A'Tuin doesn't have to sit this one out. :(

Torterra is currently in the Top 5 for Gen 3, but isn't the most popular starter on that list. Not sure if it is just different populations are who are contributing to this poll or what, but Torterra started out as one of two Pokémon families that had universal support (Tyranitar was the other), but quickly started sliding down the rankings. Still popular, and anecdotally the loudest supporters I've seen for people worrying the line wouldn't make it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

d3lness posted:

this thing sounds like dr rockso in my mind

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm magnetrio, the electric/ground mon! I am in pain.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

d3lness posted:

Beedrill with hydreigon is just....hydreigon.

I like how mixing things with ho-oh tends to give them an additional set of wings.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Whalley posted:

when I replayed emerald a while back, I was like "oh hey, I'm gonna use a shedninja, that should be fun and quirky" only to find out that every single trainer is packing either flying, rock, or dark type moves somewhere, and that its only move of note is swords dance until it gets shadow ball at level 38 :shepicide:

Farecoal posted:

Also, bring back Game Corners! With slot machines!!
you are a horrible person and I'm glad the EU mandated that those be removed, even if it means the only way to get a porygon in HGSS is through voltorb flip

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Electivire has dropped out of PU

hashtag tragic

hashtag hot mess

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

less laughter posted:

Electivire has dropped out of PU

hashtag tragic

hashtag hot mess

Why will it even matter if he isn't available in Galar anyway.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zuzie posted:

It's weird that they're including my good good friend Electabuzz but not his evolution.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blaziken386 posted:

you are a horrible person and I'm glad the EU mandated that those be removed, even if it means the only way to get a porygon in HGSS is through voltorb flip

Oh my god at least with the slot machines you could just buy the coins; it's loving excruciating having to play a ton of Voltorb Flip every time you want the fuckin TM for Thunderbolt again, or whatever.
(now's the part where someone tells me you could just buy these coins, too, and I spent all those hours playing Voltorb Flip for nothing).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ignite Memories posted:

"I'M MAGNETRIO THE MAGNET MOLE POKEMON. I DO C-C-C-C-CARBOS."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

what does the gen VII metagame have to do with her availability in gen VIII

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Blaziken386 posted:

when I replayed emerald a while back, I was like "oh hey, I'm gonna use a shedninja, that should be fun and quirky" only to find out that every single trainer is packing either flying, rock, or dark type moves somewhere, and that its only move of note is swords dance until it gets shadow ball at level 38 :shepicide:

I gave up after every other trainer had a poisoning move or Leech Seed

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, Pokémon Showdown has said that they’ll support both all-Pokémon and Galar-only Gen 8 metas (and there’s a good chance the actual games will effectively do the same via Home).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If loving Voltorb is in the Galar dex I'm unironically going to be very upset

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
At the risk of derailing this thread into Pokefusion nonsense, I want to post this because it is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Adi Shankar of Castlevania fame has produced a five minute animation for Pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNayLYeX_No

I love this edgelord. :allears: