Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

why does every movie have to end with a massive battle. why can't it just be a few dudes (dudes being gender neutral here).
So, Civil War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
imo the slums of a massive city on another continent is a good place to hide

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Farg posted:

imo the slums of a massive city on another continent is a good place to hide

Not if you're concerned about endagering lives every time you have a wet dream.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The location being downtown in real life wasn’t supposed to be a clue to anything either, any more than avengers battle for New York taking place in cleaveland. You just in general aren’t supposed to know details of filming locations.

He's actually specified as being in Rocina for whatever reason, like, in the film. I don't know why they specified this. I mean, it's where they shot it, and it is a remarkable location that they use well. It just make no loving sense and has troubling implications.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

He's actually specified as being in Rocina for whatever reason, like, in the film. I don't know why they specified this. I mean, it's where they shot it, and it is a remarkable location that they use well. It just make no loving sense and has troubling implications.

I guess I'm saying you are just not supposed to ever know anything about filming and setting locations. They are nearly universally wrong. Like every movie has the pyramids in the middle of the desert instead of next to the pizza hut and like, every american city is in toronto.

Like rocina is next to a jungle because they say it is, just like the plane graveyard that is clearly in a desert is somehow on the other side of a wall at a museum in washington dc in transformers 3.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess I'm saying you are just not supposed to ever know anything about filming and setting locations. They are nearly universally wrong. Like every movie has the pyramids in the middle of the desert instead of next to the pizza hut and like, every american city is in toronto.

Like rocina is next to a jungle because they say it is, just like the plane graveyard that is clearly in a desert is somehow on the other side of a wall at a museum in washington dc in transformers 3.

Oh, I knew what you were saying. I just think it's hilarious that the first half hour could have been set anywhere (the outskirts of the city, for instance) and they specifically wrote that it took place in the centre of this giant city right next to the cbd and one of the most visited tourist spots on the planet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Thanos' weird double sword actually supposed to be reference to his helicopter or is that just a coincidence?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

No, it was specifically done as a reference to Thanoscopter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s a reference to the double-bladed knife he shows Gamora in Infinity War, when he says the “perfectly balanced, as all things should be” line.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does this movie still rule

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it’s been downgraded to “not bad”

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, it hasn't beaten Avatar in box office gross. As we all know, box office gross is the only true metric of cinematic quality. We all agree on this fact. And, even if we don't, it's certainly how our capitalist overlords decide what media we are allowed to consume as we slave and toil to grow their ungodly wealth in our wretched, debaucherous, diseased nation as we live our short, pointless, existentially insignificant jokes of a life.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Also nobody talks about it anymore. Now it’s all about that MCUXmen speculation.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It never did

Bard Maddox posted:

it’s been downgraded to “not bad”

Yeah that's about right. I was forced to rewatch infinity war yesterday, and I was mostly bored throughout, but a couple of things stood out

The avengers jingle was seriously overused

The hulk was done dirty

Vision was done worse
The plan during the invasion was dumb as all gently caress. Like, the shield was obviously pretty good at keeping things out , opening a section of it was pretty drat stupid

The movie goes to great lengths to portray thanos as a misunderstood person making the hard choices, and that's pretty loving gross imo

Thors sidequest was pretty cool, felt appropriately mythical

They also seemed to build towards comparing Stark to Thanos as a similar great man making hard choices, but that kinda fizzled out?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

The hulk was done dirty

Vision was done worse
[in InfWar]

I was pleasantly surprised by Endgame at least trying to give everybody a Moment, but in hindsight it just makes Vision's treatment in the last one more hilarious. They managed to give loving War Machine a few emotional moments, but the guy who was a Macguffin in several movies gets only mentioned in passing by Scarlet Witch, and you can't even be sure if she talks about him or her deceased brother.

Anyway, they should have kidnapped Quicksilver from another dimension, he could have grabbed the Gauntlet and been halfway across the country before Thanos could even twirl his copter blade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yes

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
ready for endgame 2?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Neverending Game

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Put an intermission in there with an interlude and the whole thing and maybe I'd see it again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The fact that that vision was a huge part in infinity war, to the detriment of captain America and cap-adjacent characters, but is 100% forgotten in endgame is really funny.

Like, loving Ultron has a larger acknowledgement by the movie (he's directly alluded to by stark), get hosed vision

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ninjewtsu posted:

The fact that that vision was a huge part in infinity war, to the detriment of captain America and cap-adjacent characters, but is 100% forgotten in endgame is really funny.

Like, loving Ultron has a larger acknowledgement by the movie (he's directly alluded to by stark), get hosed vision

Him being iced out of Endgame would be fine if Infinity War was a satisfying, self-contained story (it isn't), but then his story is still poo poo. It's like if Pulp Fiction gave the glowing briefcase a love interest.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

LesterGroans posted:

It's like if Pulp Fiction gave the glowing briefcase a love interest.

Vincent Vega was just that

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So a movie finally fridges a male character. Gender equality my goons.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

why does every movie have to end with a massive battle. why can't it just be a few dudes (dudes being gender neutral here).

A lot of the MCU movies don't end in a huge final battle. Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spiderman, Ant-Man come to mind. Dr Strange doesn't even have a final fight at all!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LinYutang posted:

A lot of the MCU movies don't end in a huge final battle. Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Spiderman, Ant-Man come to mind. Dr Strange doesn't even have a final fight at all!

What? Thor and Iron Man and Captain America all have final battles.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The post I quoted was only a few words: "why does every movie have to end with a massive battle. why can't it just be a few dudes (dudes being gender neutral here)."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LinYutang posted:

The post I quoted was only a few words: "why does every movie have to end with a massive battle. why can't it just be a few dudes (dudes being gender neutral here)."

Fair, but I wouldn't think of any of those as lacking a big climax. Iron Man even has to do some really stupid poo poo to get to its final battle, where Stane gets in a mech suit and goes on a rampage rather than just, i don't know, ordering security to stop Pepper. But, dammit, we need two CGI things to hit each other.

Strange is an especially weird example, since it has a big battle (the backwards one) it's just not the focus of or resolution to the scene.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/avengers-endgame-is-returning-to-theaters-real-soon-a-1835649149/amp

I literally can't think of them doing this for any other reason than just trying to eke out enough to be avatar for highest grossed. I mean I know that sounds stupid, but it actually sounds like something I could see an executive wanting to do just so they can say that they helped oversee the highest grossing movie of all time. I mean, can you think of any other reason to release an Extended Cut of a film only a couple months after its original release and to do so in theaters?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
To make number assemble

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
They should just do a full lord of the rings, extended cut edition for a re-release if they're going to try and do this, screw only this 'bonus credit screen.' Stick in enough to bring it up to over 4 hours, toss in an intermission. Make it so long we have to take an entire day off work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

coolusername posted:

They should just do a full lord of the rings, extended cut edition for a re-release if they're going to try and do this, screw only this 'bonus credit screen.'
Old Steve ponders Falcon's question.

"No... I don't think I will. Just know that after I returned all the stones, closed off all the parallel branches, and restored the timeline, I decided to see what I missed out on in my 1940. And yeah, I met a girl, maybe you could say I had an old debt and a dance to pay, and I explained everything about being frozen, how I would eventually be found decades later, who I was, when I came from. . . I wanted to make sure I was doing it by the book, making sure she knew it all, knew what she would get into.

And by god, we lived a good life. Lived a whole lifetime together. You wouldn't believe what the world was up to behind our backs these last years, when we were so busy. But I made sure I got back here, I just took the long way about it."

Woden
May 6, 2006

coolusername posted:

They should just do a full lord of the rings, extended cut edition for a re-release if they're going to try and do this, screw only this 'bonus credit screen.' Stick in enough to bring it up to over 4 hours, toss in an intermission. Make it so long we have to take an entire day off work.

Or they could do Endgame: Defeminized.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Does this need to keep getting linked?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It rules that the cinema ecosystem is getting actively choked to death because an executive screamed at bob iger in a board meeting over their ten year, billion dollar investment not unseating the blue cat movie

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It rules that the cinema ecosystem is getting actively choked to death

que?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Theaters have a limited number of screens and now endgame game of the year edition is going to be taking them up for even loving longer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Theaters have a limited number of screens and now endgame game of the year edition is going to be taking them up for even loving longer.

It's ok the other Hollywood trash movies have proved unpopular so it's just MIB and X-Men space.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It'll be funny if Disney fucks Tarantino over again in snaking the premiere location away from his movie again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Covok posted:

I mean, can you think of any other reason to release an Extended Cut of a film only a couple months after its original release and to do so in theaters?

From what I know, it's not even an an actual extended cut either. The "new" footage is actually just a scene culled from Spider-Man: Far From Home that's been attached to Endgame as the post-credits stinger. Disney is literally re-releasing Endgame as a 3-hour long advertisement for the next movie in the MCU. It's clear this is an attempt to maximize profits, but more importantly, it's also pretty obvious that the studio wanted some kind of push to dethrone Avatar as the top worldwide grosser worldwide. Disney might own Avatar now, but they don't want James Cameron at the top. It has to be their studio at the top of the worldwide box office, and now they have the power to do that. It's petty as gently caress lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It rules that the cinema ecosystem is getting actively choked to death because an executive screamed at bob iger in a board meeting over their ten year, billion dollar investment not unseating the blue cat movie

It's very very depressing.