Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

Also the best: Norm MacDonald getting openly mopey about the design on SNL.

Was it mopey? The only joke I remember was something like "It fixed the only issue people had with the original costume -- not gay enough!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Random Stranger posted:

2004. It's generally called "three-boot" by nerds.

This is really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadpool was only turned into a parody because Rob stole the Deathstroke design so blatantly that Fabian Nisceza felt the need to make him a parody to protect them legally, hence naming him Wade Wilson.

TMNT was never intended to be a parody, it was more of a pastiche of things that were popular/liked by the creators at the time, with no comedic or satirical intent.

Lobo absolutely is a parody though, and a really funny one.

Random Stranger posted:

Basically between 1994 and 1997 (basically, when Marvel Knights started and Priest's Black Panther run began) the only Marvel books you needed to read were written by Kurt Busiek.

Mark Waid was writing Cap during those years, so you're way off.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 18, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Deadpool was only turned into a parody because Rob stole the Deathstroke design so blatantly that Fabian Nisceza felt the need to make him a parody to protect them legally, hence naming him Wade Wilson.

I think Fabian himself said that naming him Wade Wilson was an inside joke between the two that Fabian started because his design was so obviously close to Deathstroke until they decided to just make it official.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Mark Waid was writing Cap during those years, so you're way off.

Waid's second run in that period is good, but the first one was broken by editorial interference and kicking him off the book as soon as he got on for the sake of

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Waid's second run in that period is good, but the first one was broken by editorial interference and kicking him off the book as soon as he got on for the sake of

Yeah but before it gets broken up it's still really good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but before it gets broken up it's still really good.

Except for the First Strike crossover that was supposed to launch years of Avengers stories that were thrown in the dustbin as soon as some marketing guy said "Let's just give them to Lee and Liefeld".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

What did happen to Rahne's kid? Is he(?) now and orphan?

Strong Guy murdered him in order to become King of Hell, because the deal in that (very stupid) X-Factor story was that Rahne's son was the [X]th person ever to be born on Earth, and various evil deities had made an agreement at the dawn of time that whoever killed the [X]th person born on Earth would become King of Hell for eternity, no backsies. So Strong Guy takes the opportunity to pip Mephisto and Satannish etc. to the post by murdering his friend's son.

Rahne later works with Strong Guy (willingly!) in New Mutants: Dead Souls because "he wasn't himself at the time". It's super bad and hokey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean he literally didn't have a soul at the time, which seems like a pretty good excuse for doing dickish things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Strong Guy murdered him in order to become King of Hell, because the deal in that (very stupid) X-Factor story was that Rahne's son was the [X]th person ever to be born on Earth, and various evil deities had made an agreement at the dawn of time that whoever killed the [X]th person born on Earth would become King of Hell for eternity, no backsies. So Strong Guy takes the opportunity to pip Mephisto and Satannish etc. to the post by murdering his friend's son.

Rahne later works with Strong Guy (willingly!) in New Mutants: Dead Souls because "he wasn't himself at the time". It's super bad and hokey.

Weird. I never read much of the later X-Factor stuff because PAD clearly liked Madrox way more than I did so I forget that even before her very unfortunate death Rahne was knocked up by a wolf god or something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

Was it mopey? The only joke I remember was something like "It fixed the only issue people had with the original costume -- not gay enough!"

After that joke, he broke character for a second and said something like, "What is wrong with this country? That's not Superman..."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I mean he literally didn't have a soul at the time, which seems like a pretty good excuse for doing dickish things.

Yeah, but there's a difference between, "I was magically turned evil when I teamed up with the bad guys, it wasn't my fault!" and "I was magically turned evil when I killed your son to become King of Hell, it wasn't my fault!"

Like, even though Guido's excuse is technically reasonable, it's still bizarre that Rosenberg wrote a book where they teamed up and all Rahne's childhood friends are like, "sheesh, I know Guido killed your child, but we're a team and we don't want to exclude him".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Since I have Marvel Unlimited and thus nearly all of Marvel's backlog is mine to peruse, I am trying to read the mid-00's X-Factor. David still loves the whole 'person mentions Monet is very subdued/cut to Monet dancing to Right Said Fred' shticks that he always has and at four issues in I'm kinda tired of Layla Miller knowing stuff but it's not bad.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My wife really likes Wonder Woman, are there any good trades I could pick up for her?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10 Beers posted:

My wife really likes Wonder Woman, are there any good trades I could pick up for her?

Morrison's Earth One is a good starting point

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Retro Futurist posted:

Morrison's Earth One is a good starting point

Thanks! Is the Year One Rucka stuff any good?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my fav is still the legend of wonder woman 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between, "I was magically turned evil when I teamed up with the bad guys, it wasn't my fault!" and "I was magically turned evil when I killed your son to become King of Hell, it wasn't my fault!"

Like, even though Guido's excuse is technically reasonable, it's still bizarre that Rosenberg wrote a book where they teamed up and all Rahne's childhood friends are like, "sheesh, I know Guido killed your child, but we're a team and we don't want to exclude him".

I don't know, a pet peeve of mine is characters blaming others for things they did while they had mind control, amnesia, a curse or whatever affecting their actions*, so it sounds fine to me. And if the storyline really was that dumb, ignoring it also sounds fine.

*Burn in hell, Yennefer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Since I have Marvel Unlimited and thus nearly all of Marvel's backlog is mine to peruse, I am trying to read the mid-00's X-Factor. David still loves the whole 'person mentions Monet is very subdued/cut to Monet dancing to Right Said Fred' shticks that he always has and at four issues in I'm kinda tired of Layla Miller knowing stuff but it's not bad.

His second X-Factor run is extremely Peter David-y, so people's millage will vary a lot. And I think his stroke threw the end of his run (which is where soulless Guido killing Rahne's kid comes from) into disarray so don't feel too bad if you liked it but hop off before the end. There is some extremely good stuff in that run, though, and one unforgettable moment which in the comic David asks for people to not spoil so I won't say more than that (if you read the run, yes, I'm talking about that one).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

my fav is still the legend of wonder woman 2015

Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman: The True Amazon is pretty good too. And you probably can't go wrong with Perez's work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was it Rucka's run that leaned heavily into the politicking of the Greek gods and Wonder Woman being Athena's champion. And Athena is trying to overthrow Zeus I think? I read some trades of that a while ago and liked them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Was it Rucka's run that leaned heavily into the politicking of the Greek gods and Wonder Woman being Athena's champion. And Athena is trying to overthrow Zeus I think? I read some trades of that a while ago and liked them.

Yeah.

10 Beers posted:

Hideika is a standalone story that's really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

Hideika is a standalone story that's really good.

Hiketeia, and no, I didn't know the correct spelling off hand.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Hiketeia, and no, I didn't know the correct spelling off hand.

That is actually the correct spelling.

Of course, it's also the book whose cover features Wonder Woman's boot stomping on Batman's head, so it may not be safe to read in public.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New 52 Wonder Woman is metal as hell and highly recommended by me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I really did love the Azzarello New 52 run. All the Greek gods felt like distinct characters as they fought over Zeus’ place in the pantheon. And the dialogue is so drat crisp.

I’d recommend Earth One first though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you want a great standalone Wonder Woman story with gorgeous art and is perfect for any first time reader you cannot go wrong The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae De Liz.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

I really did love the Azzarello New 52 run. All the Greek gods felt like distinct characters as they fought over Zeus’ place in the pantheon. And the dialogue is so drat crisp.

I’d recommend Earth One first though.

alright fine, I'll light the BrianWilly Symbol

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

poo poo! Better mention James Robinson’s run as a smokescreen.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Random Stranger posted:

His second X-Factor run is extremely Peter David-y, so people's millage will vary a lot. And I think his stroke threw the end of his run (which is where soulless Guido killing Rahne's kid comes from) into disarray so don't feel too bad if you liked it but hop off before the end. There is some extremely good stuff in that run, though, and one unforgettable moment which in the comic David asks for people to not spoil so I won't say more than that (if you read the run, yes, I'm talking about that one).

I'm pretty sure Guido losing his soul predates the stroke.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

New 52 Wonder Woman is metal as hell and highly recommended by me.

I can't hate a comic that flat-out says that Wonder Woman is siblings with Wesley Willis.

Selachian posted:

Of course, it's also the book whose cover features Wonder Woman's boot stomping on Batman's head, so it may not be safe to read in public.

Wesley Willis being her brother makes more sense now that I think about it...

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Gavok posted:

I can't hate a comic that flat-out says that Wonder Woman is siblings with Wesley Willis.

Wesley Willis being her brother makes more sense now that I think about it...

Rock over Gotham / Rock on Blüdhaven / Themyscira: Uh-huh!

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Not a comic but Jill Lepore’s Secret History of Wonder Woman is a fascinating read.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

After that joke, he broke character for a second and said something like, "What is wrong with this country? That's not Superman..."

Hahaha that sucks

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Are Superman: Red Son & Superman Earth One good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

I haven't read Earth One, but I liked Red Son, it's from when Mark Millar still had Grant Morrison helping him, so it doesn't have any of those Millarisms we've come to know and love cringe at.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Red Son is one of the most tolerable Millar works there is. Earth One is a goddamn waste of a good idea.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Didn't they do a bunch of "Earth One" issues? Whats wrong with Superman's Earth One? What are the good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Didn't they do a bunch of "Earth One" issues? Whats wrong with Superman's Earth One? What are the good ones?

Wonder Woman: Earth One by Grant Morrison was decent.