Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cabbit posted:

These Loss edits are getting pretty obscure.

My brain has been broken enough by the internet that I can almost see that. Like how random music will usually seem to sync up with whatever is being shown on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Next X-doc on New X-Men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Trl4Kdczk
No Morrison or Quitely interviewed, but Gerry Duggan calls Quitely Quietly :mad:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Teenage Fansub posted:

calls Quitely Quietly :mad:

Oh god, I've been saying that gentleman's name wrong all these years :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh god, I've been saying that gentleman's name wrong all these years :(

Well that's ok, it's not his real name anyway.

It's a spoonerism of Quite Frankly.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Cabbit posted:

These Loss edits are getting pretty obscure.

I don't know. it seems pretty obvious to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1139577659896340481

First Hickman and now this. X-Men's back in business, baby! :flashfap:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just found out there’s going to be a Wolverine/Captain America: Weapon Plus mini starting next month.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no claremont put that away.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Modern Claremont is always a risky prospect, but it could be really good!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

more sienkiewicz art is good regardless

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whatever happened to that thing where Marvel was going to publish John Byrne's weird X-Men offshoot where he didn't leave the book when he did?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

Whatever happened to that thing where Marvel was going to publish John Byrne's weird X-Men offshoot where he didn't leave the book when he did?

The Hidden Years? That was published like a decade ago. Wasn't good.

Unless you mean like a continuation of that? Is there really anyone who wants that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The Hidden Years? That was published like a decade ago. Wasn't good.

No? there as something more recent I thought, like in the last three-four years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

No? there as something more recent I thought, like in the last three-four years.

So far X-Men Elsewhen is being kept to the Byrne forums and it's not released into the wilds. He won't let Marvel publish it for reasons he won't go into.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He probably won’t let them publish it because they don’t want it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

What a tangled web we weave.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

According to Johnston Cebulski approached him a while back, which I do think is Cebulski overestimating Byrne nostalgia but there was talk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess Sentinels become three-headed Evas.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1140651095234088960

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

man stop being a tease and release them already... I just want to know!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_hfjRpXW-s

"There's no alternate universe version of the X-Men that we're doing. Time travel or any of that kind of stuff stuff. This is a very cause and effect, very linear, narratively straight-forward story."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’m all about Jason Aaron wearing a Balor Club is For Everyone shirt.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'm gonna be using this to try and get into current X-Stuff instead of just catching up on old stuff and I have questions like is it gonna be good and do I need to know anything that's happened since IvX?

And finally I just want to say I hope all my favourites get to do a cool thing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stanfield posted:

I'm gonna be using this to try and get into current X-Stuff instead of just catching up on old stuff and I have questions like is it gonna be good and do I need to know anything that's happened since IvX?

Do you mean the current ongoing series or the upcoming Hickman series?

Because "is it gonna be good" really depends on what you're reading. I'd recommend X-Men Red and All New Wolverine and by the time you finish those, just start with House of X / Powers of X.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
The Hickman series, I've never read anything he's done.

I actually have been catching up on All-New Wolverine though and it is, in fact, quite good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stanfield posted:

Hell, same.

As for Hickman, people tend to either really like his stuff or really dislike it. I am in the "like" camp and am very much looking forward to this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stanfield posted:

I actually have been catching up on All-New Wolverine though and it is, in fact, quite good.

I personally think his F4 run was the best since Kirby left the book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stanfield posted:

make sure to read Mariko Tamaki's X-23 series that followed ANW

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hickman said in interviews that you don't need to know any previous work going into this.

But he's also a comic history nerd so if you have read a lot of older stuff you might get more out of it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Aphrodite posted:

Hickman said in interviews that you don't need to know any previous work going into this.

But he's also a comic history nerd so if you have read a lot of older stuff you might get more out of it.

I felt this was also the case with his Avengers and Fantastic Four runs. They weren't slaves to strict continuity in an exhausting sense, but had enough nods and references under the surface for those who were curious.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 20, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah his history delving stuff is really more cute winks and background details, nothing that will make things confusing.

You don't need to know Reed #227 is from some specific obscure as hell What If story, but if you do you might be amused.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So the latest issue of Uncanny...I wanna say ironically?...indulged in some heavy anti-vaxx rhetoric.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

So the latest issue of Uncanny...I wanna say ironically?...indulged in some heavy anti-vaxx rhetoric.

What? Jesus loving Christ this book couldn't be more of a trash fire if they were trying. Hickman's run had better start with Magick walking in on Rahne in the shower saying "I had the strangest dream."

Can I get spoilers?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Vaccines now actually kill people. Now we'll see if people love their kids enough to go against conventional wisdom/science and refuse to vaccinate!

(E: this is a deliberately bad faith reading but somehow still better than this garbage book deserves)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Basically there's a mutant cure around, and nowadays every parent is taking their kids to the doctor to get a shot to prevent them from becoming mutants. Cyclops has asked Dark Beast to figure out a way to...cure this cure.

He succeeds and distributes this anti-cure everywhere but, being Dark Beast, he makes it so that if you're actually a mutant, getting the cure will probably kill you, the rationale being that now only the most monstrous parents will be taking their kids to get this cure and doing so will expose them as the hateful people that they are..

The opening pages of this issue, incidentally, is a scene of a mom taking their son to get a shot, asking the nurse if this is "safe" and being reassured that it is, and then the kid coughs up blood and dies from the vaccine. Here it is btw

I really want to say that this is Rosenberg's attempt at dark humor or him poking fun at the vaccine paranoia nowadays, except that the way the scene comes across, taken at face value, feels like a weird endorsement of anti-vaxx talking points: vaccines are actually super dangerous! You don't know what'll happen if you get them! You'll probably die or something!

I don't know. The most charitable conclusion to draw right now is that he didn't give it the slightest bit of thought and it's just unintentionally doling out weird lovely rhetoric, but we saw how that all went with the Wolfsbane thing.

Oh yea and then Illyana teleports Dark Beast's head into solid stone.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just want my OG New Mutants to get some love and respect :smith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

Basically there's a mutant cure around, and nowadays every parent is taking their kids to the doctor to get a shot to prevent them from becoming mutants. Cyclops has asked Dark Beast to figure out a way to...cure this cure.

He succeeds and distributes this anti-cure everywhere but, being Dark Beast, he makes it so that if you're actually a mutant, getting the cure will probably kill you, the rationale being that now only the most monstrous parents will be taking their kids to get this cure and doing so will expose them as the hateful people that they are..

The opening pages of this issue, incidentally, is a scene of a mom taking their son to get a shot, asking the nurse if this is "safe" and being reassured that it is, and then the kid coughs up blood and dies from the vaccine. Here it is btw

I really want to say that this is Rosenberg's attempt at dark humor or him poking fun at the vaccine paranoia nowadays, except that the way the scene comes across, taken at face value, feels like a weird endorsement of anti-vaxx talking points: vaccines are actually super dangerous! You don't know what'll happen if you get them! You'll probably die or something!

I don't know. The most charitable conclusion to draw right now is that he didn't give it the slightest bit of thought and it's just unintentionally doling out weird lovely rhetoric, but we saw how that all went with the Wolfsbane thing.

Oh yea and then Illyana teleports Dark Beast's head into solid stone.

I just finished the issue and I can't believe what you posted is the entire scene. The kid starts growing massive puss bubbles and vomiting up blood and that's it. I'm sure Rosenberg didn't intend to write an anti-vaxx storyline, but the vibes are certainly there.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BrianWilly posted:

Basically there's a mutant cure around, and nowadays every parent is taking their kids to the doctor to get a shot to prevent them from becoming mutants.

So... uh... isn't this *exactly* the plot of Endangered Species and Last Stand?

EDIT: okay not Endangered Species, but... uh... the one where that Indian doctor came up with that 'cure'. You know, that one.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 19, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gynovore posted:

So... uh... isn't this *exactly* the plot of Endangered Species and Last Stand?

EDIT: okay not Endangered Species, but... uh... the one where that Indian doctor came up with that 'cure'. You know, that one.

The first story arc for Whedon's Astonishing?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I just finished the issue and I can't believe what you posted is the entire scene. The kid starts growing massive puss bubbles and vomiting up blood and that's it. I'm sure Rosenberg didn't intend to write an anti-vaxx storyline, but the vibes are certainly there.
I mean, if we insert any context into the situation whatsoever it's obviously not a story about how real life vaccines don't work and cause autism or whatever, and obviously I think this run is poo poo and probably went into the issue looking for something to dislike about it.......but I promise that I didn't go traipsing into the issue thinking "let's see if I can find anything in this here X-Men book that comes across like some anti-vaccine paranoia writ large!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dawgstar posted:

The first story arc for Whedon's Astonishing?

I think that's it, yeah.