Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i loved how Sean Sapp admitted that he doesn't actually watch any joshi after stirring the "women in New Japan" pot

I'm sensing a pattern :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Not having anyone from Ring of Honor this year is interesting.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Kasey Owens is a Northern Irish wrestler; comes from the group that work Eve regularly and actually wrestled Jamie Hayter at their last show: did some NXT UK jobs at their last few tapings and also works a fair but for ICW as well as other random British indies. She's one of those wrestlers that honestly I can't remember a lot about despite seeing her wrestle a few times which probably means that either she always goes on at the end of the shows so I'm drunk already, or that she's not terrible but also not exactly fantastic. I do remember that match with Hayter was pretty good though. Its basically them going back to the place where they seem to have picked up a tonne of their recent British foreigners.

Avary is Australian. Can't say that I've ever seen her so that's all I can really say!

Notable that not only is there no ROH talent but there are no Americans full stop in the thing. Perhaps that says something about the quality of unsigned American talent, or Stardom's ability to find them compared to British wrestlers, or perhaps even the relationship they have with the prominent unsigned Americans or a mixture of these. There are only three unsigned foreigners in the tournament though (not counting Bea since she's full time Stardom apparently) which I think is the least they've had for a while and perhaps shows that they're at the point where they don't really need foreign talent to fill these things out quite as much?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

In sheer terms of quantity, I'm pretty sure Stardom have one of if not the deepest roster in Japan outside of NJPW so yeah being able to do a big tournament like this with a minimal amount of outsiders is good for them. Even excluding the high schoolers who can't do a tour like this with weekday shows there are wrestlers who didn't make the cut too.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It’s also something that’s relatively new: it’s not long ago that while they had a great top end of their card it was as thin as anything and you had undercards that weren’t any good and they were an injury away from a disaster. Consider late 2017 if Io didn’t come back: Mayu got hurt and without being able to go back to Io temporarily (to both cover for Mayu and also to build up Momo) they were, to be frank, a bit hosed. Now while they are still reliant on their top people they have cover in case someone gets hurt which is a luxury that not many companies outside of New Japan really have.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

i loved how Sean Sapp admitted that he doesn't actually watch any joshi after stirring the "women in New Japan" pot

I'm sensing a pattern :thunk:

I for one am just shocked that someone would post controversial "woke" comments while not actually doing anything that helps in the here and now.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

Notable that not only is there no ROH talent but there are no Americans full stop in the thing. Perhaps that says something about the quality of unsigned American talent, or Stardom's ability to find them compared to British wrestlers, or perhaps even the relationship they have with the prominent unsigned Americans or a mixture of these.
There's no shortage of American talent, you just have to know where to look.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

For some reason, though, they seem drawn to bad American talent like Rebel Kel and Alex Gracia. Not saying they can't improve, but oof. Gracia especially was pretty bad on her tour.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rebel Kel may not have been the greatest of wrestlers but her promos and her Twitter account made her the best foreigner in Stardom's history.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I always love watching the bad american talent do the tours. Its like a stop motion montage of culture shock and acceptance. Sometimes they get better. Sometimes they hilariously fail(hiya Mandy)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tam/Arisa was pretty good!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Here's the STARDOM episode of that Viceland Wrestlers show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w43CaUgh7mM

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Somehow the host manages to pronounce "Io" so that it rhymes with "Mayu" and calls Queen's Quest "Hail the Queens" but other than little stuff like that it's a pretty good episode! I've only seen that one and the DDT episode (which was very good) so far but I'm looking forward to catching more of the series.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Johnny Landmine posted:

Somehow the host manages to pronounce "Io" so that it rhymes with "Mayu" and calls Queen's Quest "Hail the Queens" but other than little stuff like that it's a pretty good episode!

Yeah, that stuff + the host bug me. He also bugged me during the Death Match episode. I do not think I like the host, but I do like the show in general.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

it's back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQaCxIJX0J0

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Yeah, there's no plans of a Mae Young Classic at least as we know it. There's no talk inside or outside the company about it.

They might actually use the name still. But expect a tournament between Raw, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK on the WWE Network this year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

Yeah, there's no plans of a Mae Young Classic at least as we know it. There's no talk inside or outside the company about it.

They might actually use the name still. But expect a tournament between Raw, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK on the WWE Network this year.

It did what it was supposed to do: poach all the drawing women and get them off the indies during the primes of their career.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

I mean if it does happen, its pretty obvious a RAW or Smackdown woman is going to win it if Worlds Collide is any indication, where I think the only time a main roster woman lost (in non battle royal competition) was the Toni Storm vs Nikki Cross vs Bianca Belair match, and Zelina Vega vs Piper Niven.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Not surprised if that is the case - not been a sign in anyone in Japan going over there (only people leaving to the States are Hikaru Shida and Riho; both to AEW) and especially now with the emptying of the US and increasingly U.K. scenes that’s where you’d go for talent.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/meowdyxyall/status/1141053813060771840

I have no idea what is going with Allie Kat, but I hope she finds happiness and comes back to wrestling after this break. She is someone I really have enjoyed the last year or so. She was just starting to get pushed in CHIKARA too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I suspect its a her&MJF thing. I don't know much beyond they were dating at one point.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

I suspect its a her&MJF thing. I don't know much beyond they were dating at one point.

Yeah, I figured them breaking up is a possibility. She JUST moved to Long Island from Indiana so I don't know if he's still with her there or not. Her being in the northeast was gonna really help her bookings for CHIKARA and Beyond.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/prowrestlingeve/status/1141091942840897536?s=21

This is a main event that I think most people figured we’d get for this show and it’s very very good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DDT uploaded the main event of their recent KBS Hall show. If you want to see ASUKA and MAO vs HARASHIMA and Saki Akai in one of the most gorgeous venues you'll ever see in wrestling, for free, here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv4R0_5nyMw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DM Punk posted:

Yeah, I figured them breaking up is a possibility. She JUST moved to Long Island from Indiana so I don't know if he's still with her there or not. Her being in the northeast was gonna really help her bookings for CHIKARA and Beyond.

welp :(

https://twitter.com/meowdyxyall/status/1141365248294887424

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Deleted already. What was that?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ganso Bomb posted:

Deleted already. What was that?

airing of dirty laundry. She found out MJF was sliding in other girls DMs and now they're broke up.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

coconono posted:

airing of dirty laundry. She found out MJF was sliding in other girls DMs and now they're broke up.

Blaaaaahhhhhhh that sucks.

I hope her sabbatical serves her well and she does come back eventually. She's super fun and has been growing a lot this year.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

coconono posted:

gotta live the gimmick brother

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

gotta live the gimmick brother

MJF gives off the vibe of a more genuine version of Miz. Basically, Mike Mizanin is a decent dude, so the Miz persona, fun as it is, often rings false. MJF seems like he is a douche IRL, so the gimmick feels real.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Maria Manic
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1141443631561281537

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

You know she's manic because she intentionally joined Women of Honor

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Midnightghoul posted:

You know she's manic because she intentionally joined Women of Honor

Maria probably isn't on anyone else's radar. I mean, Twitter banned her for possible cannibalism, so ROH might be her only ticket.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

DM Punk posted:

Maria probably isn't on anyone else's radar. I mean, Twitter banned her for possible cannibalism, so ROH might be her only ticket.

...what

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Just watch this. She explains everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4aYowlHQR4

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Being in WOH and not killing anyone on the roster will do well to establish that she's not dangerously crazy, she just makes poor decisions. I think it's a net positive.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Toni Storm was announced for the WXW show over Summerslam weekend

https://twitter.com/wXwGermany/status/1141782953468583941?s=19

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/prowrestlingeve/status/1142196674535796737?s=21

Im accidentally going to the best match of 2019 and it’s NEXT WEEK MY GOD

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/twf87/status/1142913817346637824?s=19

Momo has really come along a lot from the awkward teenager she was two years ago. I can't believe some people still think she's supposed to be a face when she's saying stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There are people other than Rossy who think Momo's a face?