Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Windower at 60FPS and certain color settings really makes this game look really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

frodnonnag posted:

Hey fuckers. I want to do a new thread with relevant info for newcomers and old addicts coming back. Post anything here that should go in it.

make sure the discord link is in the OP!!!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frodnonnag posted:

We also need a new and equally terrible thread title.

Final Fantasy XI: SMN Burn all the things!
Final Fantasy XI: 1st place best autism simulator 17 years running
Final Fantasy XI: If you miss barrens chat try Asura yell

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Decided to come back to playing FFXI because my brain is broken. So while leveling up I want to do the quests that give me sparks, and any quests that unlock jobs I want to play?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Decided to come back to playing FFXI because my brain is broken. So while leveling up I want to do the quests that give me sparks, and any quests that unlock jobs I want to play?

You'll also want to follow along with the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel (RoV) quests as you are able to do them. It will give you rewards such as trusts, an easier way to unlock your Support job, as well as "Rhapsody in <color>" key items which give a bunch of permanent bonuses like increased exp/skill gains, reduced home point/survival guide travel costs, higher trust summon limit cap, etc. It will eventually require you getting into each of the expansion questlines somewhat as well (i.e. you'll have to do up to a certain mission in the respective expansion before progressing further in RoV) over the course of it so you can experience those as well. You'll want to keep up with this while leveling as best you can as the increased exp gains from those Rhapsody key items stack, so at 30% each, it can really add up down the road.

One other important thing about the key items is the Curio Vendor Moogles in each of the main cities will sell a lot of useful little things for pretty cheap, such as consumables like potions and Prism Powders/Silent Oils, ammo, Warp and Reraise scrolls, and other useful stuff like food and coffer keys. The farther along in RoV you get, the more/higher level stuff they sell.

Come to think of it this should all probably go in the new OP too!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

New OP is a great idea.

Linking the BG Wiki article is good.
I would also maybe go over the actual account creation/login steps. Making a new account in SEs insane system always jams people up.
Stressing the importance of RoV would be good too.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

keep it down up there! posted:

I would also maybe go over the actual account creation/login steps. Making a new account in SEs insane system always jams people up.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vanareturn/

They have this now at least. Haven't actually gone through it though so I don't know how helpful it is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grabbing the full client is much faster now, you just download everything from the official website. Logging into FFXI and getting through the PlayOnline launcher, is still a terrible user experience that hasn't changed.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Grabbing the full client is much faster now, you just download everything from the official website. Logging into FFXI and getting through the PlayOnline launcher, is still a terrible user experience that hasn't changed.

So it still does that 6 hour long file check? Boo. 🙁

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thread title suggestions:

Final Fantasy XI: Still the world's #1 crab-killing MMO

Final Fantasy XI: DO NOT JOIN A PRIVATE SERVER!!!

Final Fantasy XI: The Rise of Chains of Treasures of Wings of Seekers of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel

Final Fantasy XI: No, you don't have to party to level anymore

Final Fantasy XI: I'm just here for the PlayOnline music.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

So it still does that 6 hour long file check? Boo. 🙁

It doesn't do that long of a check. The install is of a much more recent update batch. I'd expect under an hour install

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

quote:

Final Fantasy XI: DO NOT JOIN A PRIVATE SERVER!!!

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

It doesn't do that long of a check. The install is of a much more recent update batch. I'd expect under an hour install

Oh good! I am coming back to retail soon and I was dreading that whole process.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Thread titles:

FFXI: REMA required for Shitpost (| Do you have it? |)

FFXI: Real endgame is getting on the Asura Twitter feed

FFXI: Where the girls are cats, RMT is who you can trust and the grind is neverending

FFXI: The newest expansion is letting the game play itself

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ffxi: I dont have time for that poo poo

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

DizzyBum posted:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Final Fantasy XI: /mount crab

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

time for crab

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do notaru play a private server-werver!

I am very glad Tarutaru speech didn't make it into FFXIV.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Final Fantasy XI: The best way to play this game is to not play the game

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Final Fantasy XI: The best way to play this game is to not play the game

The only way to win this game is not to play.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

The only way to win this game is not to play.

How about a nice game of Ballista?

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I grinded for hours but all I got was this stupid t-shirt subligar.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ffxi: you have to cheat to win beseiged!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I might come back soon. And I might deactivate my security token.

Might go full chaos mode.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

You might lose access to the mog satchel storage if you deactivate the security token. There is a phone app that can be used too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

Do notaru play a private server-werver!

I am very glad Tarutaru speech didn't make it into FFXIV.

I still call them tarutaru though and refuse to say 'lalafel'

You're not a falafel you're a gnome

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Necrosaro posted:

You might lose access to the mog satchel storage if you deactivate the security token. There is a phone app that can be used too.

Nope, I deactivated a long time ago and still have the satchel

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Nope, I deactivated a long time ago and still have the satchel

:same:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Zaphod42 posted:

I still call them tarutaru though and refuse to say 'lalafel'

You're not a falafel you're a gnome

Same. They will always be Taru, Galka, Mithra, Hume and Elvaan.

I am 100% racists towards Galka in both games too. They can't be trusted...

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

That is pretty wild!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yb3VB1nJ04

Finally finished this, you can play it now over at itch.io! (works on mobile, too!)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kazy posted:

Finally finished this, you can play it now over at itch.io! (works on mobile, too!)

sweet!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Kazy posted:

I played through San d'Oria Rank 6 last night, between the visuals, music, and scenario layout it's a fantastic demake. When I realized I instinctively knew where everything was it was pretty clear this was put together with a lot of attention to detail. It really left me wanting for a full-featured demake with proper leveling and combat and stuff because I think it could really work! Square please make a single player vana'diel game

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

pretty soft girl posted:

Square please make a single player vana'diel game

isnt this more or less what the mobile version is supposed to be

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tanners posted:

isnt this more or less what the mobile version is supposed to be

No, if only because nobody has any idea what's going on with that project outside of two screenshots or whatever

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, if only because nobody has any idea what's going on with that project outside of two screenshots or whatever

It'll be quietly cancelled around the same time they announce two new ivalice games and a ff4 remake

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

pretty soft girl posted:

I played through San d'Oria Rank 6 last night, between the visuals, music, and scenario layout it's a fantastic demake. When I realized I instinctively knew where everything was it was pretty clear this was put together with a lot of attention to detail. It really left me wanting for a full-featured demake with proper leveling and combat and stuff because I think it could really work! Square please make a single player vana'diel game

Thanks! :toot: There's a (very small) secret that happens once you beat all 3. I think adding combat and levels would probably make this as long as a full game, it's already like an hour of story content per nation (maybe less now that I've implemented teleports and warps)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I started up last night. FFXI has always been very nostalgic for me. Back when it first came out I had to play it at a friend's house because I wasn't allowed to play MMOs at home. Then when I finally got it installed at home on the sly I had to ask a different friend to let me use his debit card to run my account. Yet, despite starting it up about 5 times over the course of my life I think the furthest I ever got was one time I managed to get my sub-job quest completed. I don't know what kept pulling me back in to a game I spent hours getting almost nowhere on.

But here I am back again. With the new Trust system I'm ready to play through the whole game this time. I love the whole concept of playing through an MMO with an AI party just like it's a solo RPG. Due to my work it's hard for me to dedicate enough time to do any serious grouping, so it's great being able to do group content on my own.

I'm Tarajara on Asura, and I'm on the Discord too. If you see me around give me a wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey so I resubscribed to this game, my only real experience playing was for like three months last year. I really shouldn't because I don't have time for this, but I'm doing it anyway :ohdear:

Frostypox, on Asura, my highest job is Bard at 30, but I'm interested in giving Puppetmaster or Blue Mage a try.