Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Binowru posted:

New York to Paris Car Race for sure.

this is easily the best dollop of all time, I must have listened to it like 6 times

the last time I really paid attention to it I really did have the entire outline of a movie adaptation start to finish in my head, it'd be incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

this is easily the best dollop of all time, I must have listened to it like 6 times

the last time I really paid attention to it I really did have the entire outline of a movie adaptation start to finish in my head, it'd be incredible

They should make a movie out of that story and cast James Adomian as the German captain the fat reporter every single character.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in what way. i don't think they are all hits but some are at least pretty interesting. i do think evans fucks up oppertunities like with Oswald Mosley. he just kinda does bad jokes with his friends for alot of that two partier. but georga tann episode is great but really depressing as is assad.

He needs better guests. The guy he had on the cosby one challenged him a bit and added interesting commentary / nuance to it. On other eps it's just some random who punctuates every couple minutes with "oh my god I cant even. This guy's so bad!!" Might as well not even be there.

Also, he needs to stop hamming it up with the bagel throwing bullshit or whatever. I think he's actually a pretty naturally funny guy and a good storyteller, but tryharding on the comedy actually has a reverse effect

Anyways just one man's opinion. I still listen occasionally to it, but I really don't think it's as good as it was at the start

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

terrorist ambulance posted:

He needs better guests. The guy he had on the cosby one challenged him a bit and added interesting commentary / nuance to it. On other eps it's just some random who punctuates every couple minutes with "oh my god I cant even. This guy's so bad!!" Might as well not even be there.

Also, he needs to stop hamming it up with the bagel throwing bullshit or whatever. I think he's actually a pretty naturally funny guy and a good storyteller, but tryharding on the comedy actually has a reverse effect

Anyways just one man's opinion. I still listen occasionally to it, but I really don't think it's as good as it was at the start

You’re not wrong. I think sometimes the guests are good but his jokes get old and he stops the story full halt to do some memey tangent. Also some are kinda weak like this weeks https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/the-white-savior-fake-doctor-who-may-have-killed-100-babies.htm

like i believe what he is saying about the lady, but the way he starts it made me think it was some screed. he doesn't start with the heavy poo poo i guess is the problem.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 20, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I think the quality of the episodes really depends on the guests, the subject and even the general mood. As dumb as this sounds, I couldn't even get through one third of the first ep of the Mark Zuckerberg 3-parter because of the sheer number of "HAHA! Look at this nerd!" jokes.

My favorite is still the Steven Seagal one with Seanbaby.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

All time great for any podcast, not just btb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, I think the quality of the episodes really depends on the guests, the subject and even the general mood. As dumb as this sounds, I couldn't even get through one third of the first ep of the Mark Zuckerberg 3-parter because of the sheer number of "HAHA! Look at this nerd!" jokes.

yeah. like it depends on the monster with me. like zuckerberg is dumb monster rear end in a top hat but he isn't as interesting as manafort, cosby, assad or a literal baby thief/molester/muderer lady who invented adoption.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I write historical fiction sometimes, and find that The Dollop has a lot of information and topics that help me with ideas, sometimes. This leads me to a question:

I am writing about con artists around the turn of the century, mostly before it. Are there any good episodes that cover this topic besides the Victor Lustig episode? I love that one have heard it three or four times. But I am looking more for slightly earlier stuff. Suggestions?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I write historical fiction sometimes, and find that The Dollop has a lot of information and topics that help me with ideas, sometimes. This leads me to a question:

I am writing about con artists around the turn of the century, mostly before it. Are there any good episodes that cover this topic besides the Victor Lustig episode? I love that one have heard it three or four times. But I am looking more for slightly earlier stuff. Suggestions?

The Prince of Swindlers is a recent one that covers this; Lord Gordon Gordon from a little while back is also good.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

JethroMcB posted:

The Prince of Swindlers is a recent one that covers this; Lord Gordon Gordon from a little while back is also good.

Yessss!! Thank you!!

Edit: Also wanna add that the crimping episode was useful. Bunko Kelly is an outlaw hero.

edit 2: or, well, since crimping was legal, maybe not outlaw.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 21, 2019

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dapper_Swindler posted:

You’re not wrong. I think sometimes the guests are good but his jokes get old and he stops the story full halt to do some memey tangent. Also some are kinda weak like this weeks https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/the-white-savior-fake-doctor-who-may-have-killed-100-babies.htm

like i believe what he is saying about the lady, but the way he starts it made me think it was some screed. he doesn't start with the heavy poo poo i guess is the problem.

One problem, I think, is that there's basically no comedy to wring out of a woman allowing countless children to die through incompetence, but he really really tries. Stuff like L. Ron Hubbard is comedy gold, and even atrocity-adjacent stuff like talking about Hitler's sex life has some funny stuff in it. But while I'm glad I listened to this episode, I wonder if it even belongs on the same show.

I recognized the story Evans told about going to Guatemala from something he tweeted a couple of months back. In the episode it was treated as kind of weird dumb thing he experienced. When he tells it here it's a earnest, infuriating story about the same type of white-savior archetype brought up in this episode. And I'd rather have a story presented like that than how it was on the podcast. It would work so much better as a serious subject, and probably absent a guest.

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1097281565367783425

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rochallor posted:

One problem, I think, is that there's basically no comedy to wring out of a woman allowing countless children to die through incompetence, but he really really tries. Stuff like L. Ron Hubbard is comedy gold, and even atrocity-adjacent stuff like talking about Hitler's sex life has some funny stuff in it. But while I'm glad I listened to this episode, I wonder if it even belongs on the same show.

I recognized the story Evans told about going to Guatemala from something he tweeted a couple of months back. In the episode it was treated as kind of weird dumb thing he experienced. When he tells it here it's a earnest, infuriating story about the same type of white-savior archetype brought up in this episode. And I'd rather have a story presented like that than how it was on the podcast. It would work so much better as a serious subject, and probably absent a guest.

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1097281565367783425

see if he had told this full story on the podcast instead of the way he introduced it. i probably would have liked it more. I hate the types of assholes like these ladies because my cousin is a doctor who works in hospitals in Botswana 6 months out of the year. anyway. i can see why he tries to be funny and sometimes it works but alot of times he kinda just keeps poking the joke and waiting. but this was one of those cases that needed less memes and more explanations, because while i absolutly get why kony2012 is good example. i also get why people wouldnt view it as one. i feel like he should have legit told this story and then used kony as another example.

also he is absolutely right about the fridges thing. my godparents who genuinly good people went to south africa on a trip and saw the Pretoria Central Prison and were talking about that and the slums around it and they kinda kept looking for excuses about why it was so lovely. it was kinda sad to say the least. it sucks when you notice that poo poo now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 23, 2019

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Gaston Means is also later than you want, most of the action starts in the 20's -- but oh boy, it's one of my favorites in terms of sheer audacity on display.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

NmareBfly posted:

Gaston Means is also later than you want, most of the action starts in the 20's -- but oh boy, it's one of my favorites in terms of sheer audacity on display.

Isn't that the guy Stephen Root played in Boardwalk Empire?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Isn't that the guy Stephen Root played in Boardwalk Empire?

The very same.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Nice. Yeah, Gaston, who definitely has never shot a widow at a gun range, how dare you even insinuate as much?

edit: poo poo, now I wanna go back and rewatch some BE.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 24, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1142975881947729920

e: an obvious joke but i feel like he would be fine with being banned from twitter too, so he'd never have to look at twitter replies again

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1142975881947729920

e: an obvious joke but i feel like he would be fine with being banned from twitter too, so he'd never have to look at twitter replies again

what was it. i assume it was about matt shea. also gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was it. i assume it was about matt shea. also gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Politico headline: What would Bernie bomb?
Dave reply: the Politico offices, hopefully

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Politico headline: What would Bernie bomb?
Dave reply: the Politico offices, hopefully

lol, jesus.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I kinda dropped out of listening to The Dollop around episode 330. What are some Must-Listen episodes I've missed since then?

Have there been any episodes with a "supernatural" subject since then?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

I kinda dropped out of listening to The Dollop around episode 330. What are some Must-Listen episodes I've missed since then?

Have there been any episodes with a "supernatural" subject since then?

"Supernatural" - Ghosting in Victoria, Proctor & Gamble & Satan, America's First Ghost, The Convent in Charlestown (less so but kind of)
"What the gently caress" - The Beaver Drop, The Piedras Negras Jail Break, The Truck Nuts War, Moving Day, Mince Pies, The Loomis Fargo Robbery, The Sydney Cove Shipwreck
"Dave being Dave" - John McCain, George H.W. Bush, The Resnicks, Wells Fargo, Andrew Jackson, Representative Matt Shea, Operation Wetback, Feinstein and the Flag
"Gary being Gary" - Colonel Harland Sanders, The Landlord's Game

Gareth did a reverse dollop on George Lazenby

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

"Supernatural" - Ghosting in Victoria, Proctor & Gamble & Satan, America's First Ghost, The Convent in Charlestown (less so but kind of)
"What the gently caress" - The Beaver Drop, The Piedras Negras Jail Break, The Truck Nuts War, Moving Day, Mince Pies, The Loomis Fargo Robbery, The Sydney Cove Shipwreck
"Dave being Dave" - John McCain, George H.W. Bush, The Resnicks, Wells Fargo, Andrew Jackson, Representative Matt Shea, Operation Wetback, Feinstein and the Flag

Thank you!

I'll take other suggestions, but this post alone is plenty to get back into the swing of things.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I would add John Delorean, Ludwig Leichhardt and Pilot Hans Bertram to the What The gently caress category.

EDIT: Also Lord Gordon Gordon and the Need a Hiroo Reverse Dollop. Also in WTF.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 1, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

They should make a movie out of that story and cast James Adomian as the German captain the fat reporter every single character.

There's actually two movies about this race. The one I've seen a few times is The Great Race, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Race
I could of sworn it was much longer than 160mins. It's pretty funny too as I remember it.

I was shocked to learn that that movie was based on an actual real life event, because the whole premise just sounded ludicrous.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can't stres enough how good mince pies was

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Supernatural"
"What the gently caress"
"Dave being Dave"
"Gary being Gary"

I was not expecting "America's First Ghost" to just...end. No big reveal, no definitive modern forensic explanation, just "And that was the last anybody saw of the ghost, everybody involved died shortly thereafter, The End."

The Piedras Negras Jail Break was amazing. Meanwhile all the "Dave Being Dave" episodes are one that I have consciously avoided or shut off halfway through. I want to laugh, not sit there feeling miserable for an hour.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Veskit posted:

Can't stres enough how good mince pies was

Yeah, start here. It felt like it was from their first year, in a very positive way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JethroMcB posted:

The Piedras Negras Jail Break was amazing. Meanwhile all the "Dave Being Dave" episodes are one that I have consciously avoided or shut off halfway through. I want to laugh, not sit there feeling miserable for an hour.

I think it was the McCain thing that got me so depressed I couldn't keep going. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have an unhealthy fascination with podcasts that make me sad/angry at the real world.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have an unhealthy fascination with podcasts that make me sad/angry at the real world.

You need to listen to It Could Happen Here

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If you want to be depressed/freaked out, most definitely.

poo poo's definitely worst case scenario, but feels like it's only a couple standard deviations away from the likely scenarios. Listened to it while playing Far Cry 5, which actually took me from "going to do the missions and check out the story" to "must exterminate every one of these motherfuckers."

Edit: Listen to the dollop on Matt Shea first, so you know that ICHH isn't making poo poo up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

That podcast legit gives me such loving anxiety

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gripweed posted:

It's on my list, I just got so many Podcasts I'm way behind on most of them.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

MonsieurChoc posted:

heck, :same:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gripweed posted:

Robert Evans is correct.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gripweed posted:

i need to at some point.

stealie72 posted:

If you want to be depressed/freaked out, most definitely.

poo poo's definitely worst case scenario, but feels like it's only a couple standard deviations away from the likely scenarios. Listened to it while playing Far Cry 5, which actually took me from "going to do the missions and check out the story" to "must exterminate every one of these motherfuckers."

Edit: Listen to the dollop on Matt Shea first, so you know that ICHH isn't making poo poo up.

like i think it could happen here, but for various reasons, i think it would be extremely, extremely hard to pull off and more importantly, keep working. at this point, the hard right doesn't have the brain power and base to pull off a full take over openly. outside some weird Not ISIS type take over of a couple counties in isolated parts of the country. i feel like the country is more likely to balkanize than get a full take over by out and out nazis. i mean yeah trumps president, but he is a moron and i thank god for that everyday. all the current crop of facists are too busy trying to gently caress each other over and are all weird socially broken assholes.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 2, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like i think it could happen here, but for various reasons, i think it would be extremely, extremely hard to pull off and more importantly, keep working. at this point, the hard right doesn't have the brain power and base to pull off a full take over openly. outside some weird Not ISIS type take over of a couple counties in isolated parts of the country. i feel like the country is more likely to balkanize than get a full take over by out and out nazis.

Listen to the podcast. That's essentially what he talks about.

But for real, listen to the Matt Shea dollop so you know ICHH isnt talking out of its rear end.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i need to at some point.

like i think it could happen here, but for various reasons, i think it would be extremely, extremely hard to pull off and more importantly, keep working. at this point, the hard right doesn't have the brain power and base to pull off a full take over openly. outside some weird Not ISIS type take over of a couple counties in isolated parts of the country. i feel like the country is more likely to balkanize than get a full take over by out and out nazis. i mean yeah trumps president, but he is a moron and i thank god for that everyday. all the current crop of facists are too busy trying to gently caress each other over and are all weird socially broken assholes.

Balkanization is exactly the scenario that manifests in ICHH - the presupposition is "Syrian Civil War," not "coup d'etat." It's also horrifyingly plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Listen to the podcast. That's essentially what he talks about.

But for real, listen to the Matt Shea dollop so you know ICHH isnt talking out of its rear end.

i don't think he is talking out his rear end and i listended to the shea episode. i will listen.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Balkanization is exactly the scenario that manifests in ICHH - the presupposition is "Syrian Civil War," not "coup d'etat." It's also horrifyingly plausible.

ok that makes sense, that sadly seems more possible. i guess my stupid veering on imperialist feeling is that the chuds wouldnt be able to keep their poo poo stable and it would collapse into in fighting fast. maybe i am overly hopefull but people like shea and spenser and others are cowards. if they tried a genuin war on the govement, they would probably start getting killed, hard.