Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Dogen posted:

OT is just imperial star destroyer. In the x wing series of games and I think some novels there’s a victory class that’s older and smaller, but I don’t know if that’s canon anymore.

PT is the venator. I dunno what they call em in the new movies.

:goonsay: The Resurgent class is the one in Force Awakens, snokes flagship is a Mega-class Star destroyer, and the victory class is canon via Tarkin. Then there’s the Acclamator class, which were the ships seen at the end of Attack of the Clones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Are interdictors canon??

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yep, they're in Rebels

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Habibi posted:

Would be cool if it's to Tantive IV scale. Like...the size of a bedroom.

It'd be a lot longer than that. more like a house. SD is a mile long and the Tantive IV is 400 feet so it'd have to be about 30 feet long :spergin:

I've actually been thinking lately about how doable the Tantive IV would be at minifigure scale. It would be about 3 times the size of the UCS Falcon, so, loving huge but not unattainably so. Obviously I'd never actually do it because I don't have the time, space, or money but that would be an awesome thing to build for a Lego convention. As far as I can tell it's only been attempted once and frankly it wasn't great but I think it could be done really well. It's the only huge SW ship that is small enough to actually build at proper scale.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 17, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A UCS version of the "New Order" ISD wouldn't be terrible: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Resurgent-class_Star_Destroyer

Kinda like the streamlined look of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they've made 600 MF variants, I have a feeling it will just be a normal Star Destroyer despite them already making a few of those. It's the one everyone knows. Why take a risk on another "most expensive lego set ever" with something die hard nerds might skip.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They've made a couple of playset style ones, but the UCS one was close to 20 years ago at this point. No chance in hell I'm ever buying it but I'm curious to see how it turns out, Lego has come a long way in those years.

Also yeah why the hell haven't they made a UCS AT-AT yet.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
They could make one $500 set with instructions to build 4 or 5 different classes. Worst case scenario it still sells, best case scenario is sells 4-5x more. L

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If they've made 600 MF variants, I have a feeling it will just be a normal Star Destroyer despite them already making a few of those. It's the one everyone knows. Why take a risk on another "most expensive lego set ever" with something die hard nerds might skip.

This is why basically all UCS are original trilogy I'm sure. Nearly everyone likes the original trilogy, only some people like the prequels and Disney movies. If they make a super pricey set from either of those it's probably a guarantee it won't sell as well.

I'm not complaining though. I only collect OT stuff anyways.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

This is why basically all UCS are original trilogy I'm sure. Nearly everyone likes the original trilogy, only some people like the prequels and Disney movies. If they make a super pricey set from either of those it's probably a guarantee it won't sell as well.

I'm not complaining though. I only collect OT stuff anyways.

The weird thing is that to defray some of the cost of such a set I'd probably end up selling my old Kenner Electronic Super Star Destroyer.

I always wanted a stupidly expensive and wildly impractical toy growing up (the USS Flagg playset, in particular), and a UCS ISD would scratch that itch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think that is weird. Lego UCS sets are way cooler than the Kenner Toys.

I'd probably do the same and dig up any collectable junk I have that I'm not displaying and make a fun money fund so I'm not just dumping a months rent on a Lego set.

The thing that is both cool and sucks at the same time is that my Lego SW collection has accidentally become an actual collection. I used to just buy stuff that I was in the mood to buy but now I feel this sense of obligation to get anything that appeared in the OT that I don't have lol. At least I have most of it now. Then I'll stop. Right?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 18, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I was at a show a couple of weeks ago and there was a dude who had built a proper minifig-scale AT-AT and he was saying what a huge engineering challenge it was because it's so top-heavy. It's not so bad at the playset-scales that the official Lego ones have been, but to get to UCS scale is very difficult.

I was at another show a week after that and the set designer for Voltron was there, and he was saying how much of an engineering challenge that one was too. Apparently, as part of the design process, they'll put the set in an oven for a while to simulate someone leaving the set on their shelf for years. If the model sags then they have to change it until it doesn't, and that was part of the reason why it took a year and a half for the Voltron set to get produced.

I can see a UCS AT-AT being quite difficult to produce and I wouldn't hold my breath for one.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are the opinions of the orange Porsche 911 GT3 42056 vs the blue Bugatti Chiron 42083?

Which one would be more interested for my friend who likes to tinker, and his 8-year old son?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would probably both be just as interesting. I would say whichever one appeals to them more is what they should go with. Both of them contain cool functions and gears and whatnot.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Just passed by a pop up church operating out of an old clothes store. It had a poster looking for Lego Master builders for making lego bible scenes...

It's spreading!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It said "master builders?"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

PowerBeard posted:

Just passed by a pop up church operating out of an old clothes store. It had a poster looking for Lego Master builders for making lego bible scenes...

It's spreading!

They're gonna love my Flagellation of Christ MOC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Habibi posted:

They're gonna love my Flagellation of Christ MOC.

Sodom and Gomorrah before the rain of fire. :heysexy:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I ran a 'LEGO Masters' game at youth group where I got the kids to recreate a Bible scene with LEGO.

The winning group did Ehud stabbing that king whose name escapes me, complete with his bowels emptying themselves messily behind the throne.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

It said "master builders?"

I think they're using it euphemistically, rather than seeking actual registered MBs

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Bonded Master Builders aren't easy to find

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Isn't standard religious practice to kill master builders after they've finished their masterpieces in order to prevent them from blabbing about the secret passageways or constructing grand works for rival powers?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Habibi posted:

Isn't standard religious practice to kill master builders after they've finished their masterpieces in order to prevent them from blabbing about the secret passageways or constructing grand works for rival powers?

No, but they short your check 10% calling it a tithe, which is almost as bad.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Who is running out to pick up the JP set today?

Guys?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Dogen posted:

Guys?

Maybe if it dips under $100. I hear the T-Rex is impressively large, and those are some good Minifigs, but the whole gate, to me, is a waste.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I did enjoy this photo from the brothers brick review.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1141345002800451584

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Brooding on a rooftop is the definitive image of Batman imo.

A good set.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dogen posted:

Guys?

Hard.
Pass.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel bad disliking that set so much, because the T rex is such a cool build as it's own thing. But it doesn't even look like the JP T Rex, doesn't scale to the minifigures, and they just utterly failed so hard at what people wanted out of a big JP set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah reading the interview that’s interspersed with the review on brothers brick it seems like a series of bad decisions on the part of the development team. I get they had trouble maybe getting both a Ford and Jeep license or whatever, and that maybe there were scale issues (I don’t think these would be insoluble) but then like just don’t make the set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder why the vehicle licenses even are even necessary? Do they even need it to do a rough approximation of an explorer/Jeep? Just don't put the branding on them if it's an issue. They make plenty of sets that are just basically Jeeps and Explorers already. And that's jnot even taking into account that Lego seems to have zero problems getting vehicle licenses for other sets including Ford.

But yeah, it just seems like a huge misfire on the creative teams part. I can't think of any other explanation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I don’t understand the underlying licensing issues either, but that was part of the reason they gave for not including vehicles (the other being the scale thing).

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
No Ford or Jeep licensing issues with the Research Center, which is what people have been talking about wanting since Lego got the license. Instead we got a gate that's out of scale with everything else, which nobody wanted or asked for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I think this is it. They probably did some focus testing and decided that people people recognize the main gate and the T-Rex and they figured they could put a few tiny dioramas inside the gate to justify throwing in a few minifigs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This whole fiasco has really opened my eyes to how fervent people on the internet are about JP. I don’t see any of the posters here doing it, but some of the histrionics over this set on other forums are approaching Ghostbusters 2016 levels of insanity.

I don’t particularly mind them doing the gate and the little vignettes are fine, but pairing it up with a big ugly brown and beige T-Rex just makes the whole thing look boring as hell. You really needed the neon green and red of the vehicles to make the whole set pop. :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll give it credit for one thing. After watching the designer video I think it's a nicer looking display piece than the photos lead on. Still not even remotely considering buying it though.

It's less disappointing than Cloud City I guess.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

In the video about the JP set the guy who designed it admits to stealing the dino from a Creator build.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

veni veni veni posted:

I feel bad disliking that set so much, because the T rex is such a cool build as it's own thing. But it doesn't even look like the JP T Rex, doesn't scale to the minifigures, and they just utterly failed so hard at what people wanted out of a big JP set.

They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've decided Architecture sets, like most others, look much better in person.