Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

duz posted:

Doesn't seem safe having a pole that just jumps out of nowhere like that.

https://i.imgur.com/O03xppY.mp4

This appears ridiculous at first glance, but I think it's understandable.

Judging from the long shadows and general luminosity it looks like the time of day when sun is setting at the perfect angle to blind windscreens. And from the direction of the shadows he has to driving be straight towards it. It was probably a super glare, which would definitely obscure a slim object with its dark side towards you.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Judging from the long shadows and general luminosity it looks like the time of day when sun is setting at the perfect angle to blind windscreens. And from the direction of the shadows he has to driving be straight towards it. It was probably a super glare, which would definitely obscure a slim object with its dark side towards you.

Slylock Fox account spotted

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the car never makes a shadow so that's not applicable for the duration of the gif.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chomp8645 posted:

Probably just in the blindspot of the A pillar...good lord, some of those are MASSIVE these days.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Chomp8645 posted:

You are right. If you can't really see because of the sun, just drive :)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

FuturePastNow posted:

don't forget steel coils

Fun fact: the railroad cars used to haul these are some of the heaviest in general freight and because railroads don't replace bridges until they have to, there are many routes where they have to space the coil cars out with an empty flatcar in between.

The drivers at the company I worked for used to call that form of flatbed loading a "suicide load".

tater_salad posted:

Fork truck with a spindle / crane with a chain etc...

Standing it up would suck for moving it around also probably harder to support to be able to get under it.

Yep, one of these:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

why would you mount that in an orientation where it can roll

Shippers and receivers have different limitations and sometimes these also change depending on weight of the coil. So you can have eye to the side (suicide) loading where a crane or special forklift thing (shown upthread) can unload it. You can also have eye to the sky loading, this will be on a pallet to allow unloading via a standard forklift. IIRC sometimes you could do eye to the sky without a pallet but you'd need it to be chained and blocked up right to allow for crane/forklift unloading in that style.

Actually what's cool about that picture is that the headache rack did it's job and prevented the coil from crushing the cab.

edit: oh yeah and another loading method is "shotgun style" where the coils are loaded with the eyes to the front/rear so it's like a long tube on the flatbed (googled for a pic \/\/).

Ignore the hoops and walls on the trailer, that's just from the driver only taking half of their walls down because the coil load didn't require it. Those aren't normally a part of a shotgun load.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 19, 2019

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

duz posted:

God drat A pillars! :argh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Probably just in the blindspot of the A pillar...good lord, some of those are MASSIVE these days.

Absolutely not, the driver's face is visible to the camera, through the windshield, for the entire time so the blind spot zone is even further to the right of the camera.

And as already posted, that car is 100% in the shade so sun glare isn't a contributory factor either. Dude's just dumb as hell.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also here's a cool training video about how to secure suicide rolls

https://youtu.be/vJW8KS-2oQM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My great grandpa died from a log truck losing it's load ahead of him. I've always been super nervous when I see those types of trucks as a result.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

look at this and go back and look at the truck that lost it's load of logs over he bridge, gently caress this load

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Part of a multi-vehicle accident today, north/south freeway in a construction zone sharing one side of the freeway, separated by those movable concrete barriers.

One semi hit the center dividers and moved them, causing a bunch of vehicles to hit them, and another semi to jump the sidewall and off the freeway, shown above.

The trailer burned and then exploded. Two semi truck drivers died, it's not yet known what vehicles and roles they played in the situation.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

RabbitWizard posted:

You are right. If you can't really see because of the sun, just drive :)

Your wish is my command

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqGfE8CfS4

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

duz posted:

P sure since this dumbass gets out of the vehicle with his phone already in his left hand I'd say he didn't see the pole because he was on his phone

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gently caress SNEEP posted:

P sure since this dumbass gets out of the vehicle with his phone already in his left hand I'd say he didn't see the pole because he was on his phone

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blyat

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

`Nemesis posted:

Part of a multi-vehicle accident today, north/south freeway in a construction zone sharing one side of the freeway, separated by those movable concrete barriers.

One semi hit the center dividers and moved them, causing a bunch of vehicles to hit them, and another semi to jump the sidewall and off the freeway, shown above.

The trailer burned and then exploded. Two semi truck drivers died, it's not yet known what vehicles and roles they played in the situation.

Apparently one semi driver made a "mistake" of some sort trying to change lanes and overcorrected, which is what sent him into the median barriers. The 3 cars got involved with that. The semi pictured was behind the whole thing and swerved off the road to avoid hitting anyone :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/RDlstJn.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gvsagg1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/HFPgvlG.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I watched this like five times all "What's the joke here, does he really think it's rolling back from the gun's recoil?"

... Then I saw it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

I watched this like five times all "What's the joke here, does he really think it's rolling back from the gun's recoil?"

... Then I saw it.
It's a lot more obvious if you unmute.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

jesus christ, she’s awfully chill about nearly getting her head blown off

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She went to war in sandals, she probably DGAF

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

snugglz posted:

i'm gonna say it's probably not the first time she's almost been shot

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it woudl be good i think to not just have stuff about wars in the thread for laughing at funny workplace things.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Thanks to reading this thread for a long time, I picked up a multi-meter to ensure that the breakers turned the power off when my wife and I were swapping all of our smoke detectors in our new house over to Nest protects, which involved removing the 120v line, uncapping everything, taking out the red/orange wire, and re-capping black and white back up with the new Nest power cables.

Was it necessary? Probably not, house isnt THAT old, and all of the detectors are on one breaker, but still. Seen enough stories to know better than to trust "its off" with electricity. And I got a new toy. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobsterboy posted:

Thanks to reading this thread for a long time, I picked up a multi-meter to ensure that the breakers turned the power off when my wife and I were swapping all of our smoke detectors in our new house over to Nest protects, which involved removing the 120v line, uncapping everything, taking out the red/orange wire, and re-capping black and white back up with the new Nest power cables.

Was it necessary? Probably not, house isnt THAT old, and all of the detectors are on one breaker, but still. Seen enough stories to know better than to trust "its off" with electricity. And I got a new toy. :v:

That's exactly how you do it.

De-energize whatever circuit you're doing work on. And then verify the circuit has no power before you proceed. Electricity is one thing I do not gently caress around with when it comes to safety.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

snugglz posted:

The kind of person who can sight up an enemy combatant in a scope and pull the trigger to precisely kill them is the kind of person who's not going to crap their pants when shot at.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lobsterboy posted:

Was it necessary? Probably not,
It's never necessary until it is, and when it is and you don't have it you're gonna be doing a great Thor impression. Except you're not a god, no matter how many times Ernie Hudson tells you to say you are.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Proteus Jones posted:

De-energize whatever circuit you're doing work on. And then verify the circuit has no power before you proceed. Electricity is one thing I do not gently caress around with when it comes to safety.

When my brother bought his house, we discovered the hard way that all the breakers were mislabeled.

And by hard way, I mean my uncle tested the circuit with a multimeter before he killed himself.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lobsterboy posted:

Probably not, house isnt THAT old, and all of the detectors are on one breaker, but still.

You always need to insert an '*' into statements like that to include aftermarket DIY, incompetent sparkys, drunk sparkys and just plain acts of god.

I once found a stunned industrial electrician sitting on my office desk. Despite having 20 years of experience of electrical installations in factories, he got caught out when two sockets, side-by-side, were unfathombly wired to separate circuits.

I lived in an apartment block that was built and wired to all the relevant commercial residential standards. A team of electricians replaced 42 hallway light fittings. All but one were on the correct common area ciruits. That single odd one was the middle one in a string of 8 and was wired to the bathroom vanity mirror light of one of the units.

Pat on the back from me for taking care of yourself

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Renegret posted:

And by hard way, I mean my uncle tested the circuit with a multimeter before he killed himself.

"Well, it looks like this line is still hot."
:suicide:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Proteus Jones posted:

I live in a house that was built in 1900, and still has several low amp circuits that are plug and post for lighting. I'm pretty sure the guys who wired it back in the day were either incompetent, or drunk, or both. I was switching out a light fixture, and assumed that the hot would be switched with the common all the way through, so I just switched off the light. Nope. They switched the common, and left the hot, well, "hot". Luckily it was just a screwdriver that got partially melted, and not parts of my body. Now, before any wiring changes, breaker's thrown, and everything's tested with a meter to verify it's de-energized.

Renegret posted:

Wait... what?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AFewBricksShy posted:

"Well, it looks like this line is still hot."
:suicide:

God you just reminded me of the most depressing thing. He said, "don't touch this, it's hot" and went to check on the breaker. My brother, the idiot he is, thought "hot" meant temperature, and went to touch it anyway because he didn't understand why a wire would be warm.

For a fleeting moment, I considered letting him touch it as punishment for being a loving dumbass.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

he, uh, tested the wire and saw it still had current running through it even though it shouldn't have? Am I wording something wrong?

I admit I only know enough about electric city to know to stay the gently caress away and let a professional handle it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But why did he die if he tested it and saw it was hot?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Lone Badger posted:

He was very depressed?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
He's still very much alive.

I guess I just worded that poorly, and I followed my trend of terribly worded posts when it's too early in the morning to think straight.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

He didn't.

To re-phrase: Before Renegret's brother could kill himself, his uncle tested it with a multi-meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Proteus Jones posted:

He didn't.

To re-phrase: Before Renegret's brother could kill himself, his uncle tested it with a multi-meter.

Or, "And by hard way, I mean my uncle tested the circuit with a multimeter instead of killing himself."