Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's the weakest lead-in for sure and I very much have no enthusiasm for the story going into this expansion since all we know is we're gonna gently caress up some ascians and become the warrior of darkness. On the flipside, it's the expansion I am most enthusiastic for from a mechanics and feature list.

Heh, I feel very much the opposite just because it feels like the story has gone bonkers and after the snooze fest Stormblood was it'll be a welcome change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Eimi posted:

I would love if it was just a single player story mode thing. I've always wanted to re-experience the story since I remember it so fondly, but :effort: at installing it for pc again.

They actually recently released an updated installer that greatly streamlines the process, so you're looking at less than an hour of update time as opposed to several hours on first install.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Givin posted:

Just take the MCH guns and paste the DRK blade portion on the end of it. Vola. Instant best glams. A Gatling gun of bladeswords.

Well thanks, now I'm going to be upset that there isn't an oni bat shaped gunblade.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

my buddy Superfly posted:

Well thanks, now I'm going to be upset that there isn't an oni bat shaped gunblade.

You'll live

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a glock with a blade six times as long glued to the front is an acceptable replacement for an oni bat

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Vitamean posted:

a glock with a blade six times as long glued to the front is an acceptable replacement for an oni bat

Yeah but what if that glock had a huge bat with spikes on it glued to the front!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

well that'd obviously be ridiculous

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

It's magic it'll be fine.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Can I get an orator job where I talk people to death?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

vandalism posted:

Can I get an orator job where I talk people to death?

Its called Mentor :v:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

You can see who has the Orator job unlocked by casting Clemency or mentioning that you skip cutscenes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Huh, how did I never catch this reference my first go around?

E: Its a Tactics Ogre reference, Obda is a unique gryphon. Also how the hell does firefox not have gryphon in its dictionary, and why is the suggested word "entryphone" :psyduck:

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 19, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Leal posted:

Huh, how did I never catch this reference my first go around?

E: Its a Tactics Ogre reference, Obda is a unique gryphon. Also how the hell does firefox not have gryphon in its dictionary, and why is the suggested word "entryphone" :psyduck:

"Griffin" is how I see it in most non-Warcraft places. FFXIV goes with "griffin". Probably why Firefox doesn't recognize it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 20, 2019

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Not exactly a sequel, but I really want to see what they do with the announced FFXI mobile remake. If they somehow manage to fix all the spaghetti code, modernize the UI, and let you keep using your old characters, I'll be mightily impressed. Granted, I'm not expecting that, but oh man, imagine if they pulled it off.

Its being made by nexon, who is notoriously lovely when it comes to mmos.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, that's another big change between FFXIV and other MMOs. Square doesn't do public test servers so aside from what they show us in Live Letters and whatnot, datamining isn't nearly as much of a thing. We'll know changes when they are live and not really much sooner beyond a very broad view of things.
From a bit back, but datamining is exactly as much a thing here as it is in other MMOs.

It's just that SE tries a little harder in the version control department when it comes to keeping spoilers out of the game and the miners have to wait for the prepatch like everyone else before they can pull up concrete details.

Didn't stop RDM, BLU or Hrothgar from being spoiled ahead of time though :v: (although to be fair, the Hrothgar being unveiled by a bug in the French/Italian (i forget which it was) version is pretty hard to plan for.)

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, expect the dataminers to go wild on the 27th once the game goes down and the 5.0 patch becomes available.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

For patches I'll data mine music for myself and friends, but for new expansions I leave that alone since there's so much and I wanna get a lot of it fresh.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

It is currently impossible to create a new character on any world in either the Primal or Aether data centers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Wylie posted:

It is currently impossible to create a new character on any world in either the Primal or Aether data centers.

You snooze you lose.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Go to Crystal

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Kwyndig posted:

Go to Crystal

Too late I'm already there. I have friends in an FC on Goblin, which is both a preferred server and locked from new characters at the same time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly this is probably just traffic shaping on their part in preparation for the expansion. Things should go back to normal in a month.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I would be happy with crystal just getting more people on it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There was a 40-person queue to get into this game at 8:00 on a Wednesday.

We're so hosed on launch day.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

From a bit back, but datamining is exactly as much a thing here as it is in other MMOs.

It's just that SE tries a little harder in the version control department when it comes to keeping spoilers out of the game and the miners have to wait for the prepatch like everyone else before they can pull up concrete details.

Didn't stop RDM, BLU or Hrothgar from being spoiled ahead of time though :v: (although to be fair, the Hrothgar being unveiled by a bug in the French/Italian (i forget which it was) version is pretty hard to plan for.)

I really meant in the kind of terms WoW has it. Like, yeah, once a patch is out, dataminers go wild. And sometimes things can leak early if people read the tea leaves in code.

But there's no, like, WoWhead where people know exactly what has been changing for weeks before a release thanks to a PTR. For FFXIV, the datamining mostly happens once the content is out. You can maybe read some things super quick waiting for maintenance or something, but at that point players can just... go play it pretty much.

Which I find refreshing, honestly. PTR datamining and weeks of pre-patch analysis seemed to make things worse for the WoW community, not better. By the time content was out, everyone already had their preconceived notions on it. Hell, a lot of people had already played that content on PTRs. FFXIV has some grumblings pre-patches, too (healers for SHB, etc), but the community seems a lot more open to giving things a shot first, largely because they don't really know the specifics of things until it's pretty much playable.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

jokes posted:

I'm thinkin'.. XIV is very popular right now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icAsFsKKkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChsoerYvIQ&t=1130s
I'm not the first to catch this or anything but I didn't remember seeing it in thread so... Gunbreaker's LB3 is called "Gunmetal Soul". There was a bullet called "Soul Gun Metal" in Final Fantasy Unlimited used as part of the show's ultimate summon.
Could be a stretch to link the two, but it's also not like the team doesn't put in pretty obscure references already.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zoig posted:

I would be happy with crystal just getting more people on it

It's not like we're hurting for people, guy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jokes posted:

remember raubahn ex :kheldragar:

Mechadestroyer
Jul 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

remember raubahn ex :kheldragar:

Honestly, those memories are going to be what ends up causing me to actually alarm clock the expansion release, just in the hopes that if something like that does happen again i'll be able to slip ahead of it and work my way through the game at a relaxed pace.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icAsFsKKkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChsoerYvIQ&t=1130s
I'm not the first to catch this or anything but I didn't remember seeing it in thread so... Gunbreaker's LB3 is called "Gunmetal Soul". There was a bullet called "Soul Gun Metal" in Final Fantasy Unlimited used as part of the show's ultimate summon.
Could be a stretch to link the two, but it's also not like the team doesn't put in pretty obscure references already.

Cartridges are called Soils in the JP version of the game, it's not a coincidence.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechadestroyer posted:

Honestly, those memories are going to be what ends up causing me to actually alarm clock the expansion release, just in the hopes that if something like that does happen again i'll be able to slip ahead of it and work my way through the game at a relaxed pace.

I expect at this point I just won't be playing around launch week--too many other games on the field atm--so that'll dodge that problem nicely

Plenty of time for that to change though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I'm thinkin'.. XIV is very popular right now.

They really ramped up their marketing compared to Stormblood's pre-release and have made a concerted effort to draw people back in during the pre-expansion doldrums with various special events. The game crested over 1 million concurrent subscribers for the first time in its history, and that kind of hype only builds on itself. WoW making GBS threads the bed certainly helps to open up market space, but a lot of it seems to be coming down to smart decisions by the developers over anything else.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So I hear that blue mage sucks poo poo, and also can't do group content?
(new to the game, be warned)

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

BLU acts more as a mobile fireworks show than an actual job.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

it's more of a side activity that happens to be able to sometimes do funny poo poo than a proper class/job, so yes-ish

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'm not sure if yall mean this in a good way or a bad way.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The job has multiple kill yourself spells. That should tell you all you need to know.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

it's literally just optional side content, like mahjong or lord of verminion. it can be fun to mess around with, if you don't like it you don't gotta interact with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Personally I found Blue Mage fun to play for the week or two worth of content that it had, but the real problem is that it really is only a week or two worth of content since you can't use it for endgame activities or most forms of farming/grinding.