Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would like a good, maybe short series of books in the scifi or fantasy genre.

Is there any like, several book series that is not a 1000 page tome each, maybe not military-scifi?

Something that's kind of like Star Trek or something campy and cool?

One example I liked a lot was the Axiom series by Tim Pratt (new book this October!), or John Scalzi's "Old Man War" series (I still have to finish Zoe's Tale, but Zoe is so boring of a character).

I also recently read The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson, which was a nice short romp. I also enjoyed (still need to finish the last two books) of The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.

I also enjoyed Wesley Chu's Time Salvager series.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Hooded Swan series by Brian Stableford sounds like what you want.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union books. Merchanter's Luck is a good place to start.

Edit: Stephen Leigh's The Crystal Memory isn't part of a series but is very similar to the Alliance-Union books and is worth checking out if you enjoy them.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 1, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any like, several book series that is not a 1000 page tome each, maybe not military-scifi?

One example I liked a lot was the Axiom series by Tim Pratt (new book this October!), or John Scalzi's "Old Man War" series (I still have to finish Zoe's Tale, but Zoe is so boring of a character).

I also recently read The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson, which was a nice short romp. I also enjoyed (still need to finish the last two books) of The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells.

You might enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Yeah, it's kinda military SF, but it's not militaristic.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh man you want the Bobiverse then. Those are the most afternoon in a hammock books.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like Red Rising although it's a little militaryish in some of the later books.

Also I'll always recommend Becky Chambers' Wayfarers series

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for good audiobooks to learn a bit during my work commute.

My interest are (beginner-level / amateur level) programming, coding, wine, self-improvement, science and general knowledge.

Examples of books I like are the Wine Bible,the Drunkard's Walk (a book about how statistics influence our lives) and Why We Sleep (about sleeping and its importance and how to improve it)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Can someone recommend an unsettling book?

I just read The Vegetarian by Han Kang. I thought it was good but it was really weird/unsettling to read.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

succ posted:

Can someone recommend an unsettling book?

I just read The Vegetarian by Han Kang. I thought it was good but it was really weird/unsettling to read.

The Other Side by Alfred Kubin, Night by Bilge Karasu.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Yoko Ogawa's stuff is unsettling in a somewhat similar way to the Vegetarian

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can I get some recommendations for works with a strong identity with Ireland and/or Scotland? I’m open to literary fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

I’ve already got James Joyce and Irvine Welsh on my bookshelf.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Any preference when it comes to period? Are you looking for a portrayal of Irish culture, or an impression of Irish writing in general? In the case of the latter: Being Various: New Irish Short Stories, edited by Lucy Caldwell, is a recently-released anthology which includes 24 short stories by contemporary Irish authors.

Other than that: Amongst Women by John McGahern is an obvious classic, as are The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien, The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen and At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien; Colm Tóibín's Brooklyn is based on the common phenomenon of young people leaving Ireland for the US; I quite enjoyed Danny Denton's debut The Earlie King & the Kid in Yellow, but that's set in a fictional dystopian Ireland of the future and isn't necessarily "Irish" in the sense I think you're looking for; then there's stuff like Mike McCormack's Solar Bones, All We Shall Know by Donal Ryan and a whole host of other recent good to great novels, but those two also don't necessarily revolve around an Irish identity as much as they are simply set in Ireland.

note: I've not read all of these myself, the ones I haven't are on definitely my to-read stack though (for when I finally get time to read for leisure :sigh:). Anyhow, there's a bunch. I'm a sucker for Irish literature. Not very familiar with Scottish works though. Oh! Also, Granta #135 is a few years old now, but it'd probably make for an amazing starting point in your search.

e: there's also The Long Gaze Back: An Anthology of Irish Women Writers, edited by Sinéad Gleeson (which I only came across thanks to your post, so thanks! Does mean I don't know much about it, though).

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Can I get some recommendations for works with a strong identity with Ireland and/or Scotland? I’m open to literary fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men[/i] is a good start for Irish mythology if you want that.

Seamus Heaney is the modern Celtic poet par excellence.

For Scottish literature, probably Sir Walter Scott? I mean, it's in the name. Rob Roy is better as a movie. I forced my way through a shitload of Walter Scott novels decades ago and honestly the only one I actually enjoyed was Ivanhoe, because Robin Hood.

Otherwise, way to leave out the Welsh, the Forgotten Celts! Seriously though, read the Mabinogion, the Irish are heavily involved. Also I normally only recommend this in fantasy threads but Evangeline Walton wrote an excellent historical novel version of the Mabinogion under the same title, basically doing for welsh myth (not really separable from Irish myth) what Mary Renault did for greek mythology.

Technically, Lord Dunsany was also an Irish (anglo-Irish) writer, and you can see the celtic influence in a lot of his stuff.

Tolkien on the Celts:

quote:

I do know Celtic things (many in their original languages Irish and Welsh), and feel for them a certain distaste: largely for their fundamental unreason. They have a bright colour, but are like a broken stained glass window reassembled without design. They are in fact 'mad' as your reader says – but I don't believe I am.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
If you like Irvine Welsh and want to extend all this to Wales Niall Griffiths is in a similar vein. Less about the absolute highs and lows of drugs and more about enduring poverty and displacement of being an outcast. It's very page-turner like Welsh, but deals with the reality of society's cast offs. I prefer him to Welsh, who has a banging soundtrack to all his novels, with Griffiths more having an aspiring producer with equipment bought out of a car's boot in the pub car-park.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lex Neville posted:

Any preference when it comes to period? Are you looking for a portrayal of Irish culture, or an impression of Irish writing in general?

Either/or. It's an open-ended request for a reason, I'm open to either as long as the setting is one or the other or the author is a notable person from Ireland or Scotland.

The requests so far have been excellent! Thank you both.

Mrenda posted:

If you like Irvine Welsh and want to extend all this to Wales Niall Griffiths is in a similar vein. Less about the absolute highs and lows of drugs and more about enduring poverty and displacement of being an outcast. It's very page-turner like Welsh, but deals with the reality of society's cast offs. I prefer him to Welsh, who has a banging soundtrack to all his novels, with Griffiths more having an aspiring producer with equipment bought out of a car's boot in the pub car-park.

I'll check Griffiths out based on this, but I'm going on a trip to Ireland and Scotland soon and I just like reading different things related to trips I have to take. Wales, sadly, is not a part of this trip.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I shamefully forgot Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lex Neville posted:

I shamefully forgot Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle :)

In my own asking, I also forgot about Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett* and Laurence Sterne, though I don't see the latter touted for being Irish, despite being born there.

*but I also didn't mention I was open to plays

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If you're open to plays, then yeah Beckett is good though the majority of his plays were written when he was in France and were much more influenced by French artistic movements so I'm not sure they're what you're looking for.

For other Irish playwrights, try Brian Friel (The Faith Healer, Translations, Dancing at Lughnasa), Sean O'Casey (Juno and the Paycock), Conor McPherson (The Seafarer), or for something completely different, Martin McDonagh (The Connemara trilogy). Works in parentheses aren't necessarily their best or anything, just plays I liked and that are either set in Ireland or have a heavy Irish literary influence. You could also try Brendan Behan or Frank McGuinness, though I haven't read either personally.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

If you're open to plays, then yeah Beckett is good though the majority of his plays were written when he was in France and were much more influenced by French artistic movements so I'm not sure they're what you're looking for.

For other Irish playwrights, try Brian Friel (The Faith Healer, Translations, Dancing at Lughnasa), Sean O'Casey (Juno and the Paycock), Conor McPherson (The Seafarer), or for something completely different, Martin McDonagh (The Connemara trilogy). Works in parentheses aren't necessarily their best or anything, just plays I liked and that are either set in Ireland or have a heavy Irish literary influence. You could also try Brendan Behan or Frank McGuinness, though I haven't read either personally.

Very cool. Thank you!

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

All of Yeats is deeply Irish, from a folklore bent early on, to a nationalist bent later. I'd leaf through his "Collected Poems" as he is very much greater than the sum of his parts.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

burns, stevenson, taht one gideon fell which is in scotland

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

edit: the case of the constant suicides

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the scots translation of spleen de paris i found in a feminist bookstore in edinburgh

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Flann O'Brien, Alaisdair Gray, Lewis Grassic Gibbon

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

In my own asking, I also forgot about Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett* and Laurence Sterne, though I don't see the latter touted for being Irish, despite being born there.

*but I also didn't mention I was open to plays

Beckett's novels own anyway even if you don't care about plays.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Can't embed this image, so. https://imgur.com/a/ak5KrAq

I've recently bought

[b]Black Leopard Red Wolf
Left hand of darkness
Roadside Picnic
Sword & Citadel
North American Lake Monsters
Stories of your life by Chiang
And not pictured Tolkien's Children of Turin & Unfinished Tales[/b

I'd like recommendations that someone that chose those books would enjoy but aren't exactly more of the same. Something less pure sci fi/fantasy maybe, but not non fiction.

Also, for some reason I ended up in the Peloponnesian war wikipedia page. After reading the Silmarillion I could try and read something set on the real world. Is there a middle point between ancient historians and something 100% pop history?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr. Nemo posted:

I've recently bought

Black Leopard Red Wolf
Left hand of darkness
Roadside Picnic
Sword & Citadel
And not pictured Tolkien's Children of Turin & Unfinished Tales

I'd like recommendations that someone that chose those books would enjoy but aren't exactly more of the same. Something less pure sci fi/fantasy maybe, but not non fiction.

That reads much like my reading list so far for this year. Roadside Picnic and Lake Monsters are amazing, and Left Hand of Darkness a classic that I should reread again soon (I reread Dispossessed in the past year). So I guess check out my books on Goodreads? https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/61729436 Mind you, it's a dog's breakfast genre and theme wise but everything is striking me as interesting these days

quote:

Also, for some reason I ended up in the Peloponnesian war wikipedia page. After reading the Silmarillion I could try and read something set on the real world. Is there a middle point between ancient historians and something 100% pop history?

Read the ancient historians. History of the Peloponnesian War is a classic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Not entirely historic, but since you've got Sword and Citadel in there - have you tried Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist? It's basically a road trip of ancient Greece narrated by a man who cannot remember more than a day back and (maybe) can talk to gods and spirits.

You've probably read it but as far as ancient historians go, Xenophon's March of the Ten Thousand is easy and fun.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 20, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Alaisdair Gray

Which would you recommend first? One of his novels, like Lanark: A Life In Four Books, or a short story collection?

Mr. Nemo posted:

I've recently bought

Left hand of darkness
Roadside Picnic
Sword & Citadel

Jorge Luis Borges (Collected Fictions for all his prose; Labyrinths or Ficciones if you want a shorter collection)
Flannery O'Connor (The Complete Short Stores for it all; A Good Man Is Hard To Find for a shorter collection)
Etgar Keret (any of his collections)
George Saunders
Pale Fire by Nabakov

CestMoi posted:

stevenson

I've read Treasure Island and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Anything specific you'd recommend?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 20, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Which would you recommend first? One of his novels, like Lanark: A Life In Four Books, or a short story collection?

Lanark is the one I read and its generally thought to be his best iirc

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

go for short stories with stevenson like new arabian nights

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

Lanark is the one I read and its generally thought to be his best iirc

CestMoi posted:

go for short stories with stevenson like new arabian nights

Thank you both, Lit friends.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Franchescanado posted:

Jorge Luis Borges (Collected Fictions for all his prose; Labyrinths or Ficciones if you want a shorter collection)
Flannery O'Connor (The Complete Short Stores for it all; A Good Man Is Hard To Find for a shorter collection)
Etgar Keret (any of his collections)
George Saunders
Pale Fire by Nabakov

I'm from Argentina, so I've already read Borges, and if any of the other recommendations are any near as good as him I'll be very happy. Although I don't see how you got from my post to him.

Soldier of the mist sounds quite good!

Fine, I'll dive into some ancient history, apparently that book is a cornerstone of western literature, so that's something!

Thanks all for the recommendations, that was quick

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'm from Argentina, so I've already read Borges, and if any of the other recommendations are any near as good as him I'll be very happy. Although I don't see how you got from my post to him.

At least two of the books listed deal with trying to understand absurdity through a grounded logic, and how people deal with that or fail to comprehend it. A few others are written by authors who intend for their reader to be invested in exploring the negative space and putting work into it. So I gave you more stories that provide that reading experience but also are fun and entertaining in their own right.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'll add to the above Italo Calvino if you haven't read him

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

I've recently bought

Left hand of darkness
Roadside Picnic
Sword & Citadel

THE DICTIONARY OF THE KHAZARS BY MILORAD PAVIC

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey everyone, I'm looking for something in the thriller/crime genre (a genre I've read basically nothing of), the only requirement is that it should have a strong female protagonist. Any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looking for more horror like Nathan Ballingrud. Vaguely Lovecraftian takes on traditional horror tropes with flawed protagonists.

I’ve read Wounds and North American Lake Monsters and thought they were both great.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Azran posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for something in the thriller/crime genre (a genre I've read basically nothing of), the only requirement is that it should have a strong female protagonist. Any recommendations?

Terribly obvious, but Silence of the Lambs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
^^ I have not read it in 20+ years but it was a great book. So are the pre / post quels but I don't think they have female leads.

More recently "Sharp objects" - Gillian Flynn was amazing (so was the HBO miniseries made based on it)

Maybe "Girl with a Dragon tattoo"? Good page turning thriller with a strong female even if they are not necessarily the lead protagonist.