Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Blue Box is cool af extra oscillator controls sounds fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Blue Box is cool af extra oscillator controls sounds fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's a neat pedal i just like shitposting

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I might have to look into this relicing thing, I do poo poo like that at work all the time, now you guys have me seriously thinking about ruining guitars for money

Thanks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Snowy posted:

I might have to look into this relicing thing, I do poo poo like that at work all the time, now you guys have me seriously thinking about ruining guitars for money

Thanks

relicing your own guitars is fine but I'll die on the hill that paying ten times the cost to have it done for you is still dumb

beat the poo poo out of your guitar yourself, blueslawyers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shugojin posted:

relicing your own guitars is fine but I'll die on the hill that paying ten times the cost to have it done for you is still dumb

beat the poo poo out of your guitar yourself, blueslawyers

Sure but if someone would pay ten times the money for a nicely beaten up guitar then it’s silly to not beat up guitars if you know how.

Years back I worked with a woman who supposedly reliced guitars and got paid well for it. She even did some weird acid bath and electroplate poo poo but I never saw photos and now I’m finally interested.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What’s extra dumb is the dudes (let’s be honest it’s almost exclusively dudes) who pay a lot extra for instruments that look beat up would likely not consider buying actual beat up instruments from a pawnshop or whatever. They want a brand new high-end instrument that comes with a Fender factory warranty, they just want it to look like it’s seen things and been places.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thermos H Christ posted:

What’s extra dumb is the dudes (let’s be honest it’s almost exclusively dudes) who pay a lot extra for instruments that look beat up would likely not consider buying actual beat up instruments from a pawnshop or whatever. They want a brand new high-end instrument that comes with a Fender factory warranty, they just want it to look like it’s seen things and been places.

I actually think that's somewhat fair. Not paying extra money, but wanting a guitar that looks beaten up. Not sure how many musicians you've been around but I'd rather not buy a guitar from some dude whose filthy unwashed and potentially diseased hands have greased up the whole guitar right after he's touched who knows what or who... for years and years.

But I like some guitars that look beaten up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 20, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
that's what cleaning is for

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

that's what cleaning is for
You can't just erase a guitar's history like that!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
WATCH ME TRY ANYWAY, BUSTER. :mad:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

#throwbackthursday when i didn’t realize i was scraping 30 years of patina off of my 80s SG to clean it :negative:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
guess that dingus from gibson wasn't just issuing idle threats

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-sues-dean-guitars-trademark-infringement/

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Wow, Gibson is just as full of poo poo as ever, apparently.They're suing Dean over a headstock and the V body shape.

I hope they get laughed out of court.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it'll get tossed immediately because dean's been around since the 70s, and in order to have a copyright or in this case trade dress claim you have to actively protect it. fender lost big time when they tried suing over the strat and tele body shapes for the same reason decades after copies first started showing up

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it'll get tossed immediately because dean's been around since the 70s, and in order to have a copyright or in this case trade dress claim you have to actively protect it. fender lost big time when they tried suing over the strat and tele body shapes for the same reason decades after copies first started showing up

I don't know how the law works but it would be nice if Gibson were to do something like this and lose, thereby setting the precedent that it's now open season for anybody to make anything they want, up to and including the Les Paul body and headstock shape, just so long as they put their own brand logo on it or something.

I'd buy the hell out of a by-the-book Les Paul made by a good guitar shop, but with a neck scarf joint, a shallower headstock angle, and with decent better quality wood that didn't weigh a million lbs instead of "modernized" chambering that does weird things to the guitar's resonance.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 20, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Apropos of nothing, remember when Gibson and the Hendrix estate teamed up to do a Hendrix "signature" guitar?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:thunk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would a "Go home, Gibson. You're drunk" meme would be considered too passé? Because holy poo poo, it's 2019: It was embarrassing back in 2002/2003 when they sued PRS, and it's even more pathetic now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GreatGreen posted:

Wow, Gibson is just as full of poo poo as ever, apparently.They're suing Dean over a headstock and the V body shape.

I hope they get laughed out of court.

The V body shape is terrible so I don't care about it. But how is that headstock special or unique? It looks like every other headstock (except the ones that have all the tuning machines on one side) (and also steinbergers).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

prefect posted:

The V body shape is terrible so I don't care about it. But how is that headstock special or unique? It looks like every other headstock (except the ones that have all the tuning machines on one side) (and also steinbergers).

"It has the open book design on the top so it's special" or something.

Credit where it's due though, Gibson's headstock does look great. The Dean headstock looks good too, but nothing like the Gibson, and no guitar player would mistake the two. Like, Gibson might as well sue Martin because their headstock is also "kind of a rectangle with 3 pegs per side." Like at a certain point, you can't avoid those design features because they're a necessary component of the function of the instrument. You'd have to sacrifice the quality and functionality of the instrument to not have those features.

It's generic enough that I'm surprised Gibson hasn't sued any guitar makers for happening to use Mahogany, or metal frets.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Villains publicly failing is such a wonderful thing that never gets old.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
relic'd guitars are fine if they're half the cost of an unrelic'd because you know the stock they're using for the relic'd is because some dumbass dropped it at some point or the paint job diarrheaed the wrong mix all over the finish

but trying to sell b-stock at the same cost as a-stock? lmao just lmao

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GreatGreen posted:

"It has the open book design on the top so it's special" or something.

Looks more like a mustache to me

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Gibson already lost a similar case against PRS over the single cut(Les Paul) body shape.
You'd think they would have learned by now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The especially lovely thing is that Gibson is banking on the ignorance or apathy of the general population towards guitar specifics.

The difference between the Dean and Gibson headstock is about as different as the general silhouette of a mid sized sedan of any given car company against another mid sized sedan of any other car company. They're kinda similar because they both do the same things, but one is not going to be mistaken for the other. But Gibson is hoping that in court, they can hold up pictures of the two and convince some non-musician that they're too closely related. I really hope they bring in a handful of musicians to tell the court how frivolous the lawsuit is, and show pictures of every other 3-peg-per-side headstock on the market to make people see the kind of hair-splitting Gibson is trying to pull.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 20, 2019

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Philthy posted:

relic'd guitars are fine if they're half the cost of an unrelic'd because you know the stock they're using for the relic'd is because some dumbass dropped it at some point or the paint job diarrheaed the wrong mix all over the finish

but trying to sell b-stock at the same cost as a-stock? lmao just lmao

We’ve moved on to all dogpiling on Gibson’s terrible PR decisions now, the relic issue is settled. The verdict was “it’s dumb but it’s your $”

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gently caress Your Website posted:

We’ve moved on to all dogpiling on Gibson’s terrible PR decisions now, the relic issue is settled. The verdict was “it’s dumb but it’s your $”

uh I believe I wrote the court's dissenting opinion which is: "if it's super subtle it's fine and you can still pretend to be an 'authentic' person."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

uh I believe I wrote the court's dissenting opinion which is: "if it's super subtle it's fine and you can still pretend to be an 'authentic' person."

*Shock G runs in, panting*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31A6RjOxE74

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

The especially lovely thing is that Gibson is banking on the ignorance or apathy of the general population towards guitar specifics.

The difference between the Dean and Gibson headstock is about as different as the general silhouette of a mid sized sedan of any given car company against another mid sized sedan of any other car company. They're kinda similar because they both do the same things, but one is not going to be mistaken for the other. But Gibson is hoping that in court, they can hold up pictures of the two and convince some non-musician that they're too closely related. I really hope they bring in a handful of musicians to tell the court how frivolous the lawsuit is, and show pictures of every other 3-peg-per-side headstock on the market to make people see the kind of hair-splitting Gibson is trying to pull.

Also Dean has the magic of precedent from the PRS case this time

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Also Dean has the magic of precedent from the PRS case this time

lol yeah that's honestly probably the most important thing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol Dean Guitars' version of Saul Goodman is licking his fuckin' chops right now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Your Website posted:

Never! Making fun of bluezlawyers is always on topic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Sunn/EQD pedal sounds pretty darn good imo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Sunn/EQD pedal sounds pretty darn good imo.

You got one? How’s about a sample

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For reals: Pass them goddamn samples, Bhabhi.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Not my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku4buRp5y9g

edit: pre-emptive:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 21, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
so david gilmour had auctioned off some of his stuff for charity and his black strat just went for a little under $4 million

the winning bid came from the indianapolis colts owner. guy so rich he literally bought himself a football team har har har

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ummm I like it

Edit- the pedal that is

Would it sound good playing faster through it like a heavier mid tempo Gloom? If not then what do I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWt-Q-ZacOA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat! I'm so tempted to buy one now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels