Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

theflyingexecutive posted:

looks like he wore the ski mask op

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

[brain bug It’s Afraid pic]

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Does Biden think ferment and foment are the same word

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Does Biden think ferment and foment are the same word

The Kombucha revolution has been bubbling up for a while now. The government tried to put a lid on it, but the pressure is building.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Brawnfire posted:

The Kombucha revolution has been bubbling up for a while now. The government tried to put a lid on it, but the pressure is building.

and the hillaristas cried out as one to the mother

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"I need you very badly"

Was Joe Biden talking to a 9 year old girl at that moment?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

THS posted:

[brain bug It’s Afraid pic]

The DNC wishes they could run a giant maggot with a vulva for a face in 2020

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Peanut President posted:

"I need you very badly"

Was Joe Biden talking to a 9 year old girl at that moment?

If it was a 9 year old girl he would feel so entitled to her body he wouldn't bother pleading and would just grab her hair and start sniffing away.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheCoalitionSF/status/1141401379094724608?s=20

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

liberalism.jpg

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Is that pocket spagheti n meatballs

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Hahahahaha

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I didn't think I'd ever have a chance to use this quote when it was first posted but haha here we are:

tranime scholar posted:

if you're ever having to defend your side by saying 'no, you see, it's not really a concentration camp..', you're probably rooting for the wrong side

e:

Whorelord posted:

is this who i think it is
holy poo poo hahaha

Syd Midnight has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jun 19, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Who originally called them concentration camps anyway? Did the Nazis do it themselves, or their appeasers, or their opponents?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sooo Nazis without the discipline or sense of taste

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Who originally called them concentration camps anyway? Did the Nazis do it themselves, or their appeasers, or their opponents?

the Nazis called them labor camps and then European newspapers were like “they are concentrating minorities into these labor camps” and then shorthand took over from there

when we did it to the Japanese we called them internment camps and then when word got back that “camps” was a bad, bad look we started calling them
“detention centers”

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought the lid would be off by now that "detention" is just another word for governments holding people extra-legally but I guess not?

The euphemism treadmill means that whatever word you choose to represent the bad poo poo ends up with as much negative connotation as all the previous words for the bad poo poo because it's...bad poo poo. It seems to be taking longer than usual with "detention" though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wheeee posted:

liberalism.jpg

I’m more inclined to put this in the capitalism.bmp bucket.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bust Rodd posted:

the Nazis called them labor camps and then European newspapers were like “they are concentrating minorities into these labor camps” and then shorthand took over from there

when we did it to the Japanese we called them internment camps and then when word got back that “camps” was a bad, bad look we started calling them
“detention centers”

the Nazis had a distinction between concentration camps and extermination camps; the first type were called what they were and the second type were called something like “special camps”. Concentration camp as a term didn’t start with the Nazis, though; I think it was the British during the Boer War who first built them and named them as such.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pirate Radar posted:

the Nazis had a distinction between concentration camps and extermination camps; the first type were called what they were and the second type were called something like “special camps”. Concentration camp as a term didn’t start with the Nazis, though; I think it was the British during the Boer War who first built them and named them as such.

it was yeah. Concentration camps as they are have always existed but the modern versions as invented by the Brits during that war.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

arguing over the etymology of concentration camps is such a severe case of missing the forest of the trees i hate the internet, and humanity

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

whenever you do something bad the only possible reaction is to start frantically thumbing through the dictionary looking for milder-sounding synonyms for the thing you did and employing them in your explanations
any kind of apology or, god forbid, rectification is a non-starter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
well yeah they don’t really care if it’s a CC or not they just can’t accept they might be the bad guys and want to rationalize it away.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

They called them Konzentrationslager or KZ-lager for short, but there were subsets of these for different groups and purposes.

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m more inclined to put this in the capitalism.bmp bucket.

whats the difference

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

whats the difference

:hmmyes:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That's a loving fantastic way to motivate workers

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://twitter.com/Reweth/status/1141225638407237632

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

THS posted:

arguing over the etymology of concentration camps is such a severe case of missing the forest of the trees i hate the internet, and humanity

I want to clarify that the concentration camps at the border are concentration camps

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My go-to is internment camp since that reminds people we've done this poo poo before while also being Hitler-adjacent chronologically.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

:suicide:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

https://twitter.com/CInsistence/status/1141509291611807744?s=19

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/MConwayKLKN/status/1141452990257270785

DrPossum