Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Side question - what do you guys use to keep bugs off you that's not going to cause cancer in 20 years?

I went out today and left early because it was loving gnats swarming around my head no matter how often or where I moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

SlyFrog posted:

Side question - what do you guys use to keep bugs off you that's not going to cause cancer in 20 years?

I went out today and left early because it was loving gnats swarming around my head no matter how often or where I moved.

I just suck it up and use something with DEET. Might kill me eventually but the mosquitos and especially ticks are so bad around here I'd rather shave a few years off than go into the woods without it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

long sleeves and pants, I've got a buff to cover the neck and face too

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SlyFrog posted:

Noseeums are awful. Just get a wide brimmed hat and a fine mesh insect head net. Peppermint also helps keep them away a bit. Lavender is good for the bites (I am not an essential oils nut, but I have found these things useful in these specific applications, also they smell hella nice)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ghostnuke posted:

long sleeves and pants, I've got a buff to cover the neck and face too

Cover up good and drinks lots of water.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Got all my gear, gonna fish tomorrow for the first time in more than 10 years. I am excited. I bought some gear a few years ago that never ended up being used. This time will be different!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I just remembered one time I was playing golf and had a hell of a time with gnats. I put some icy hot on the brim of my cap and they stayed away.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
In high school my catcher once had some of his Icy Hot leak onto his jock strap and into his cup while in his bag. That was loving hilarious.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Citronella spray?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hagie posted:

In high school my catcher once had some of his Icy Hot leak onto his jock strap and into his cup while in his bag. That was loving hilarious.

When i got pepper sprayed I managed to wash it into rear end cracked and dick hole.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went fishing on Father's Day and got skunked. Again. However, no matter how many times I got snagged on the dock pilings, my improved clinch knot never failed.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Decided to go back to my trout fishing roots yesterday, and caught one tiny bluegill while trout were jumping a foot in the air all around me. I swear I could hear a little "gently caress youuuuu" every time they jumped.

Going back tomorrow or Thursday with my waders to get away from the heavy pressure area. Trout are definitely not as dumb as bass or panfish!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thread, please help me take my mind off the fact that my new fish finder won’t be here until tomorrow afternoon, and I have to charge it for two hours before I can use it, and I want to wait till it’s charged before I go fishing, and I don’t know if it’ll be done charging before dark tomorrow.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 19, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Go fishing before that. Find a pond, cast, catch fish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Elmnt80 posted:

Go fishing before that. Find a pond, cast, catch fish.

I mean I could, but... it’s already dark outside.

I could go early in the morning tho.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Well try and catch a fish that is. I tried to go today and got chased off by a thunderstorm after 45 minutes. All I managed to hook was a pine tree despite seeing tons of baitfish swimming around and fish rolling in a local pond. At the point I started seeing lightning, I decided holding a 7' graphite stick wasn't the smartest idea and packed up. Instead I spent the day looking at spinning rods to upgrade from my 6 year old veritas. It would help if I wasn't a picky rear end in a top hat who also hated cork grips.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2019

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I. M. Gei posted:

Is this one any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Deeper-Smart...ps%2C171&sr=1-1

Or is there something more cost-effective out there?

I see you already ordered one later in this thread, but I'll post this anyways: a friend of mine has the Deeper Pro+ and it gets generally reviewed as the best one (read: best sonar, most reliable) in the form factor, though the UI has a bit of a learning curve. The same company makes a budget model (the "Start") which is probably your best-raw-tech-for-dollar version (since it costs half as much and still has some of the higher-end features), which puts it right in line with the super-entry-level iBobber (which I've heard is the Ugly Stik Combo of these things, not necessarily the most refined or advanced of anything, but easy and reliable, with a much simpler UI).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I CAUGHT A BASS TODAY :D for about 5 seconds, before it fell off my line as I was reeling it in. gently caress :negative:

Can anybody give me any general tips for bass fishing besides “Cast, Reel in, Repeat until fish”?

I also need help figuring out how to read the data from my fish finder. It’s showing me fish, but not so much how far away the fish are or in what direction.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What kind of lure/hook are you using? Making sure its a good match to your rod/line will help make sure that once you set the hook you keep it pinned until you get that green rear end in a top hat all the way back to you. They will 100% spit the lure/hook if you don't get it set good. Bass are assholes like that.

And just remember, there is no replacement for practice and it takes patience. Don't get discouraged, keep at it and most importantly, have fun. :glomp:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I. M. Gei posted:

I CAUGHT A BASS TODAY :D for about 5 seconds, before it fell off my line as I was reeling it in. gently caress :negative:

Can anybody give me any general tips for bass fishing besides “Cast, Reel in, Repeat until fish”?

I also need help figuring out how to read the data from my fish finder. It’s showing me fish, but not so much how far away the fish are or in what direction.

If you get into some small panfish there are probably some bass lurking nearby in slightly deeper water. This time of year I usually have luck with a spinnerbait or a beetlespin.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Elmnt80 posted:

What kind of lure/hook are you using? Making sure its a good match to your rod/line will help make sure that once you set the hook you keep it pinned until you get that green rear end in a top hat all the way back to you. They will 100% spit the lure/hook if you don't get it set good. Bass are assholes like that.

At the moment I’m using plastic worms and spinnerbaits. Mostly spinnerbaits, and specifically chartreuse spinnerbaits because I’m told bass in my area are responding to those the most right now.

I also have creaturebaits, but I’m not really sure how to put those on hooks yet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, with both of those options you're going to have to set the hook and then keep that rod tip up to keep that hook pinned or the bass will get leverage on the hook and spit it every damned time. It sounds like you're on the right track though. You should be able to set the hook as hard as the line will allow for, so have at. :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That Works posted:

Anyone know much about cane pole fishing or telescoping poles?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5SL6N/ref=psdc_3409871_t1_B000B5A6VM

Basically am just looking for something cheap / simple to fish in the river that runs adjacent to my property. Fish would be brook and rainbow trout and supposedly there are freshwater eels. There are a lot of tree falls and trees right up to and over the river so fly casting and spincasting are problematic. My wife has been fishing it a good bit and spends more time cleaning up snags and losing hooks to the trees / shrubs than anything. Anyone used something like in the link there or have a recommendation for something like that / line+leader suggestions?

The river is only 10-15' wide and about 4' deep along our property. Just 200 yds downstream is a more open pool on the river where I've watched people haul in some decent sized rainbow trout so I know there's stuff going by here.

So, nothing on cane poles or Tenkara stuff?

Just kinda thinking of trying to fish a consistent spot on the property that's got a lot of tree and brush cover around it, no need for long distance casts etc.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That Works posted:

Just kinda thinking of trying to fish a consistent spot on the property that's got a lot of tree and brush cover around it, no need for long distance casts etc.

I have zero experience, but as I understand cane pole fishing is some of the simplest fishing there is. Every lake has an old person there who would love to tell you all about how they caught sunfish all day as a child using only a stick, sewing thread, and a safety pin. You totally have the right idea about the concept, though: long reach in order to put bait/lure on top of the fish without casting. Tenkara would especially be worth exploring if you're after trout.

edit: I apologize for offering nothing of value in terms of tackle advice. The Amazon link you posted is probably fine to get started.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have zero experience, but as I understand cane pole fishing is some of the simplest fishing there is. Every lake has an old person there who would love to tell you all about how they caught sunfish all day as a child using only a stick, sewing thread, and a safety pin. You totally have the right idea about the concept, though: long reach in order to put bait/lure on top of the fish without casting. Tenkara would especially be worth exploring if you're after trout.

edit: I apologize for offering nothing of value in terms of tackle advice. The Amazon link you posted is probably fine to get started.

Nah it's cool, thanks. Mostly just throwing it down before buying in case someone has a "omg this is a terrible idea because X" kinda thing.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

That Works posted:

I do tenkara for panfish in local ponds. I bought it for stream trout who are waaaay more fiddly to catch on anything, but it works great for small ponds. Caught some big slab bluegills with a 12.5' rod, same length furled line, and oddly enough a mini trout magnet 1/200 jig head with a red body. That thing is guaranteed to catch bluegills.

Tenkara purists would probably drop dead to know I use it in still water for something as low-class as panfish but it's fun as hell and always starts a conversation.

I'm honestly looking to buy a second, longer rod for still water. Those Chinese rods are mighty tempting after I spent 160 bucks for something I'm using for kid fish :D

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm just getting back into fishing after some decades off and I keep reading debate about what kind of line to use. I see that most use braid with a fluoro leader. Is there a reason I couldn't just use 100% fluoro on a light weight rig?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

Tenkara purists would probably drop dead to know I use it in still water for something as low-class as panfish

This attitude is common among fly fishermen. It's really loving stupid.

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm just getting back into fishing after some decades off and I keep reading debate about what kind of line to use. I see that most use braid with a fluoro leader. Is there a reason I couldn't just use 100% fluoro on a light weight rig?

No, no reason at all. And people catch fish with reels full of monofilament all the dang time, too.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not at all. They use the braid because its an even thinner diameter than the floro, but plenty of people use straight floro.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Isn't floro usually stiffer and more expensive?

I only ever use it as leader for snapper.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Enigma posted:

Isn't floro usually stiffer

This was my concern, I want to be able to easily tie knots still. But hopefully on a light rig it won't be an issue.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Floro is stiffer, floro leader is definitely stiffer. But even with 20lb you can tie a knot easily enough.

Edit: And good floro is basically 1:1 pricewise with good braid. Midrange braid will be a bit cheaper. I'd just go with what works for you.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, with both of those options you're going to have to set the hook and then keep that rod tip up to keep that hook pinned or the bass will get leverage on the hook and spit it every damned time. It sounds like you're on the right track though. You should be able to set the hook as hard as the line will allow for, so have at. :v:

I just realized I don’t think I know how to set a hook. I fished again early this morning and got a couple of really good bites that led nowhere, and I’m wondering if that knowledge could’ve helped me.

I think a good Youtube video on the basics and best practices of bass fishing would help me out a lot, if any of y’all have one you’d recommend. I also wouldn’t mind some info on how to fish with lures besides spinnerbaits and plastic worms, as I understand a lot of them take special techniques to get the most out of them. I’ve pretty much only had luck with spinnerbaits so far and I feel like I’m missing out on potentially better options.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

The only big advantage of fluoro over normal mono is the refractive index, so there's nothing to really justify the 2-5x price to spool up the whole reel with it.

If you don't care about the cost, knock yourself out. If you're willing to spend, though, you might as well get braid and tie on a fluoro leader.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

I do tenkara for panfish in local ponds. I bought it for stream trout who are waaaay more fiddly to catch on anything, but it works great for small ponds. Caught some big slab bluegills with a 12.5' rod, same length furled line, and oddly enough a mini trout magnet 1/200 jig head with a red body. That thing is guaranteed to catch bluegills.

Tenkara purists would probably drop dead to know I use it in still water for something as low-class as panfish but it's fun as hell and always starts a conversation.

I'm honestly looking to buy a second, longer rod for still water. Those Chinese rods are mighty tempting after I spent 160 bucks for something I'm using for kid fish :D

Sweet, yeah I'm gonna be alone in my backyard likely crushing beer and refusing to put on waders so no purists around to tsk-tsk at me thankfully (or laugh at me as I snag tree branches overhead or on the opposite bank for the 1000th time).

This is my spot.

Definitely seen people getting rainbows up and down stream a few hundred yards where the river crosses a few nearby roads / opens into a pool. No clue if there are perch etc in it or not. I kinda hope there are.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hooplah posted:

The only big advantage of fluoro over normal mono is the refractive index, so there's nothing to really justify the 2-5x price to spool up the whole reel with it.

If you don't care about the cost, knock yourself out. If you're willing to spend, though, you might as well get braid and tie on a fluoro leader.

There are other reasons to use straight floro. Where mono and braid will float, floro sinks which can help you tune exactly how fast you want a bait to fall or how deep you want it to run. The other big difference is that mono will have alot more stretch to it vs braid or floro. This means that braid and floro will transmit more sensation up to the rod, but mono will better absorb fish doing stuff like shaking their head, making it easier to keep them hook once you do get one on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh man I would be grooming the hell out of that. Make a little platform right at the edge for casting. Selectively cutting limbs.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Alright cool, think I'll just go 100% fluoro then. Also I would kill all of you and your mothers to have a stream like that in my back yard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh man I would be grooming the hell out of that. Make a little platform right at the edge for casting. Selectively cutting limbs.

Eventually I will. Got a lot of house specific / up front of the property garden and landscaping going on. For now just trying to catch stuff on it as is but when I learn a little more about what to do I figure I'll mess with it some.

I've seen a bunch of different minnows and some crawfish scooting around just right there already and there's lots of peepers and waterbugs around as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I just realized I don’t think I know how to set a hook. I fished again early this morning and got a couple of really good bites that led nowhere, and I’m wondering if that knowledge could’ve helped me.

I think a good Youtube video on the basics and best practices of bass fishing would help me out a lot, if any of y’all have one you’d recommend. I also wouldn’t mind some info on how to fish with lures besides spinnerbaits and plastic worms, as I understand a lot of them take special techniques to get the most out of them. I’ve pretty much only had luck with spinnerbaits so far and I feel like I’m missing out on potentially better options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-n9psOOLk

Brian Latimer has some excellent tutorials on his youtube channel. And is an FLW pro angler, so he has the cred to back up his videos. His videos will have some personal bits to it like this one with him being a proud dad teaching his son to ride a bike and he does pimp his sponsors a bit. There is still a ton of good info in his videos and I learn stuff from watching him all the time.