Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The thing that really makes you wonder is how he portrays himself when he's in his own film (Red Zone Cuba). Why was he so utterly unflattering to himself? Did he think it was something people wanted to see? Or did he think he was being a badass? The only surety is all of the possible answers will make you feel dirty.

I think Coleman Francis was depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've said it before, I still contend that Francis came up with the last line first ("Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette."), and then wrote the script to match.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If the FBI discovered that Coleman Francis was secretly a serial killer, I would not be at all surprised.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If the FBI discovered that Coleman Francis was secretly a serial killer, I would not be at all surprised.
He shot all his victims from a light aircraft. :ohdear:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

dentist toy box posted:

I think Coleman Francis was depressed.

He would love to be in the current world what with all the coffee shops and such.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m Cherokee Jack.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i wonder what his creative output would have been like had he a larger budget and any idea how to make a movie.

i don't know what it is about coleman francis, i'm just fascinated by the guy, possibly because i'm a suicidal depressive myself. he was clearly trying to say something but WHAT the gently caress was he trying to say?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

WHAT the gently caress was he trying to say?

TL posted:

I’m Cherokee Jack.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

no, YOU shove off

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Flag on the Moon. How did it get there?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They should set a place for Eraserhead.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Thrill as Coleman Francis's lovely kids dump soda on someone's pigs!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I am the dark spector of food... I sensed there was mail

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The pie doesn't make you want to kill yourself, want some?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, are there any other MST3Ks like Rocket Attack USA that riff on Cold War propaganda? Falling Down is the centerpiece of my next movie night and I thought it’d be cool to screen something like that beforehand (our movie nights are long).

EDIT: I’ll also take Rifftrax suggestions.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

invasion usa

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There's Invasion USA. And I feel that Space Children has plenty of that cold war paranoia with bonus dumb aliens.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The Starfighters doesn't directly reference the Cold War, but it is essentially a Cold War-era Air Force recruitment film masquerading as a feature film.

The Violent Years is a teen delinquency-scare film with the second act twist that the delinquents are unknowingly working for Russian spies, so that sort of counts.

Can't thing of anything as blatant as the Rocket Attack and Invasion USAs, though.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 20, 2019

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Red Zone Cuba?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

rydiafan posted:

Red Zone Cuba?

The only thing Red Zone Cuba is propaganda for is nihilism.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, are there any other MST3Ks like Rocket Attack USA that riff on Cold War propaganda? Falling Down is the centerpiece of my next movie night and I thought it’d be cool to screen something like that beforehand (our movie nights are long).

RiffTrax did Duck and Cover if you wanted a short.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Starfighters doesn't directly reference the Cold War, but it is essentially a Cold War-era Air Force recruitment film masquerading as a feature film.

The Violent Years is a teen delinquency-scare film with the second act twist that the delinquents are unknowingly working for Russian spies, so that sort of counts.

Can't thing of anything as blatant as the Rocket Attack and Invasion USAs, though.

Between the Violent Years, High School Big Shot, I Accuse My Parents, Teenage Crime Wave and others I'm probably forgetting, I wonder what the hell was going on in the fifties that made parents so terrified of their children.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Probably the Korean War. With so many men overseas, people worried that without their fathers around, children were going rudderless and getting into trouble. They had the same fears during the 40's. But IIRC, any uptick in juvenile delinquency was more perception and media hype than reality.

Or it was comic books' fault.

(I just read The Ten-Cent Plague a few weeks ago. Good book!)

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 20, 2019

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
S Enters Korean Wa! :v:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'd also chalk it up to what a deeply reactionary time the 50s was. Fear of youth was bound up with this paranoid idea of the future that would flatten and destroy America.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

Invasion USA is a treat. I think it was supposed to be a satire, but boy howdy, it's so, so dumb. Like, a fascist first grader wrote it.

SolarFire2 posted:

Between the Violent Years, High School Big Shot, I Accuse My Parents, Teenage Crime Wave and others I'm probably forgetting, I wonder what the hell was going on in the fifties that made parents so terrified of their children.

As depressing as the Coleman Francis troika is, High School Big Shot is so relentlessly depressing, misogynistic, and hateful. It's just the worst. Everyone but the colorful safe-cracker is awful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

Aw, they should have known a cherubic short-order cook would have come along and sorted things out.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

how's the german expressionist date going?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SolarFire2 posted:

Fear of the new. Teenagers had just been invented.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Failson posted:

As depressing as the Coleman Francis troika is, High School Big Shot is so relentlessly depressing, misogynistic, and hateful. It's just the worst. Everyone but the colorful safe-cracker is awful.

And the safe cracker is basically Wimpy of Popeye fame.

There were no winners in this nightmare.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Failson posted:

Fact - the lead in the film died before the movie was released. It was the final film he worked on.

You know, in case you didn't want the movie to be any more depressing.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

what's more, he was in a car accident and his body wasn't found until weeks later, at the bottom of a ravine

i always thought he was a really good actor in bigshot. such a drat shame.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. I'm going to have to watch The Girl In Lovers Lane to cheer myself up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Fear of the new. Teenagers had just been invented.

Yeah. Teenager was barely even a word before the 50s, let alone a concept.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'd also chalk it up to what a deeply reactionary time the 50s was. Fear of youth was bound up with this paranoid idea of the future that would flatten and destroy America.

Hey, like now, I guess. (Teenagers : 1950's :: Millennials : 2010's)

Sort of related: I just watched Joel's TV Wheel last night, for the first time in a while. I'd forgotten what a cool concept that was, but man, did some of those sketches just not hold up ("KISS in the Beginning" and "Vick Lawston's House of 1000 Mysteries" are still gold, though).
(I'd post the video, but the only continuous version I could find on YouTube was really lousy quality and had Joel's overly-pedantic explanation of the "X-Box" concept tacked on to pad for commercial time :smith: )

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

Fact - the lead in the film died before the movie was released. It was the final film he worked on.

You know, in case you didn't want the movie to be any more depressing.

Yeeeesh. I had no idea.

And speaking of depressing! Things didn't end well for the director of Carnival Magic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Adamson#Death

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Failson posted:

Yeeeesh. I had no idea.

And speaking of depressing! Things didn't end well for the director of Carnival Magic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Adamson#Death

well this makes their jokes about sequels and the "carnival magic cinematic universe" over the end credits a little bleak

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

well this makes their jokes about sequels and the "carnival magic cinematic universe" over the end credits a little bleak

I'm sure that More Carnival Magic exists. I can hear the chimp voiceover coming from under the floorboards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Failson posted:

Yeeeesh. I had no idea.

His last act of Carnival Magic was a disappearing act! :pseudo:

(:ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Carnival tragic