Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bregor posted:

Yeah I think Lix has one and Istory has one. Does Istory survive the Void? Can’t remember.

Nope. You gotta get the songs from Lix and Istory before you leave for Galuf's world, or they're lost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bregor posted:

Yeah I think Lix has one and Istory has one. Does Istory survive the Void? Can’t remember.

Nope. Lix and Istory songs are world 1 only. Library song is lost if you don't get it before pyramid.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pretty smooth sailing for a Brave Blade run. Lots of damage, lots of health, and a lot of status effects. The Knight and Red Mage were tearing the Void apart with Two-Handed and Berserk.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Kyrosiris posted:

I have bad news.

Yeah but I can always get the Kaiser knuckles in the Great Sea Trhahaha kill me now

Good to know that the Dancer actually continues to become worth a poo poo though. Just so I'm clear: Barehanded gives you Monk's strength even if you have a weapon in hand? Hilarious loophole if so. And if so.. it looks like my lovely classes are going to give me some awesome support abilities at least, what with that and Dualcast :hellyeah:

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 20, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

blinking beacon nose posted:

Yeah but I can always get the Kaiser knuckles in the Great Sea Trhahaha kill me now

Good to know that the Dancer actually continues to become worth a poo poo though. Just so I'm clear: Barehanded gives you Monk's strength even if you have a weapon in hand? Hilarious loophole if so. And if so.. it looks like my lovely classes are going to give me some awesome support abilities at least, what with that and Dualcast :hellyeah:

All the 'Equip Weapon' abilities come with their class' strength score, and all magic abilities come with a magic score.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

blinking beacon nose posted:

I'm gonna see how fist only dancer goes for a bit. I call this character build "Mosh Pit Fighter" .

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

e: nvm

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yo Kyrosiris, I noticed my dumb toxx isn't on the first page:

Cattail Prophet posted:

So this might be a terrible idea, but screw it. Worst case, if everyone else decides it's too much of a pain in the rear end, well, no harm done, right?

Towards the end of last year's fiesta, I stumbled across a Castle Tycoon cutscene that I'm pretty sure I'd never seen before. This inspired me to make it a goal this year to see every optional cutscene in the game, and I'd like to challenge you all to do the same. As such:

:toxx: I will donate $5 (capped at $50) for each goon who views and screenshots every optional cutscene in their run, where cutscene is arbitrarily defined as "any time a party member has a line of dialogue." :toxx:

When I finish my run, I'll post every scene I found as a guide so you know what all you need to do. Also, uh, FFV has a heck of a lot of optional stuff, as in I'm pretty sure a complete submission is going to be over a hundred images, so you probably shouldn't just post them all directly in the thread. Personally I plan on using the screenshot LP test poster (This is close enough to being an LP, right?). If you're interested, here's some extra details that I didn't want to clog up this post with. I also put in every optional cutscene available prior to the Wind Shrine as an example to give you an idea of how thorough I'm being.

:siren:Bonus: If you complete this before I finish my run, flying blind as it were, or manage to find a cutscene that I missed, the $5 I donate for your run will not count towards the $50 limit!:siren:

For the record, I'm at the end of world 1 right now and so far I've got 37 screenshots. Also:

:getin:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I probably missed it, but did we ever learn how #winner works?

Also, I've never been happier to play without all jobs unlocked from the beginning. :v:

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Funktastic posted:

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

I've never played FFV before, but I figure this is as good of a reason as any.

The first job I got was Black Mage, so that seems like it should be an easy start.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

When Gilgabot became active around the end of last month/beginning of this month, there were polls for "Which Job Is Better?". The 4 winners were Berserker Time Mage, White Mage, Blue Mage, and Summoner. So, those are the jobs you'll get from #Winner

Thanks W.T. Fits, for the correction!

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 20, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kheldarn posted:

When Gilgabot became active around the end of last month/beginning of this month, there were polls for "Which Job Is Better?". The 4 winners were Berserker, White Mage, Blue Mage, and Summoner. So, those are the jobs you'll get from #Winner

It was Time Mage, not Berserker. The people who have Berserkers are people who went for #berserkerrisk on their first run.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

It was Time Mage, not Berserker. The people who have Berserkers are people who went for #berserkerrisk on their first run.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Updated my post.

And I think that's what I'm going to make my 2nd run. I've never had Time, White, or Summoner. Well, I had a White Mage last year, but it got VOIDED, so I don't count that.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

At least it's all uphill from here, right? :shepicide:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

yeah I somehow thought the sheep was in Lix as well as the music box I'm real dumb

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Definitely job fairing this poo poo, half of my party is the same. Thinking about going with Mystic Knight + Ninja for maximum freelancer comedy.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Four Monks through W1 was .. new.

Not as bad as poor Ed, but I never get this class. Good thing the remaining classes are Chem / Dragoon / Time!

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
First time beating the game! Had a White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, Dragoon. Ninja did the heavy lifting with scrolls, and was able to do some braindead leveling up with !Throw and a corresponding rod. Took out Shinryu, but couldn't find a winning strategy for Omega so cut my losses.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

And a comfortable #winner-risk first run is complete.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Iceberg-Slim posted:

First time beating the game! Had a White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, Dragoon. Ninja did the heavy lifting with scrolls, and was able to do some braindead leveling up with !Throw and a corresponding rod. Took out Shinryu, but couldn't find a winning strategy for Omega so cut my losses.

This is an odd one as you have Black AND White. One way needs Reflect and the other dislikes it, so you have to see which works for you. Get float on the whole party before attempting via Confuse.

The White way to do it would be to come in with Hermes, Shell everyone up, and attack him with rod-boosted Thunder Scrolls on a caster, only attacking immediately after Wave Cannon or Search. Use Lamia Tiaras / Genji Helm / Bone Mail status bug to be Confuse immune.

The Black way to do it is to wear 3 (not 4) Reflect Rings with a sacrifice who is wearing Hermes / a lightning resistant Diamond gear piece (and vitally NOT the Aegis shield). Reflect Thundagas on your party as long as you have >60% health (he won't counter as long as at least one member of your party is hit along with him), using Elixirs to heal. White can cast Shell on the non-reflected person / bounce them off Omega and hope they hit the right target if they somehow have a free turn. Since he doesn't counter you can attack more freely, but most of your party will not be hasted.

Both ways are RNG dependant. Sometimes Omega will just nuke you off the map. White requires a longer battle and familiarity with Omega's attack routine and also is more feasible if you're higher levelled; Black lacks Haste so it's harder to recover from and you'll need a lot of Elixirs. Personally I'd lean to White especially since with the AoE heal and non-weapon based damage you could probably sneak in multiple throws

derra fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 20, 2019

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

another Butes for the pile.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Triple crown wasn't too bad. Thief was useful for Hi-Potions early on and for !Mug for MK to use for Chicken Knife. MK basically carried the run, though Beastmaster was great as always when I had to put in the effort. Dragoon was there. I might do a #750 next just so I can use actual magic.

Kyrosiris, if you want to count it for your :toxx: , here's 2 Ragnaroks from a failed run. I didn't manage to get it on my winning run before I had to Odin that part away.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bleh. I apparently forgot to save last night and now I have to kill liquidflame with three spearless dragoons and a geomancer again.

Man that kills a lot of motivation.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

It turns out it takes around 30 elixers and 2 hours to 1000 needles Omega to death.
It's my first Omega victory without beastmaster, bard, chemist, or quickleaking summoner, so that's something at least. Doubt I'll make the effort again any time soon.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i've been playing this and kindred spirits on the roof at the exact same time. simultaneously. i am strong

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

http://imgur.com/a/zxdrgqX

Did a winnerrisk, got Blue sent to the void. My first wipe against NED was a zombie Gaia hammer, which was pretty funny. Especially since my victorious attempt included what you see, berserk toad Krile finishing NED with a Gaia hammer proc.

Honestly not sure how much different it'd have been if I took two summoners instead. having two aegis holders absorbing white hole was pretty nice for treedeath.

And I'm not sure who thinks Phoenix isn't worth the trek, it absolutely carried me through that fight and saved on elixirs to boot.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

alcharagia posted:

i've been playing this and kindred spirits on the roof at the exact same time. simultaneously. i am strong

what if...three games.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

fool_of_sound posted:

All the 'Equip Weapon' abilities come with their class' strength score, and all magic abilities come with a magic score.

More proof that Gaia ain't magic.

Also my first run is done! 2 Bards, a Geomancer and a Berserker had its rough patches but it was an easy (although time-consuming) Triple Crown. might be the first time I've ever used the Gaia Hammer in a Fiesta run

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

And I'm not sure who thinks Phoenix isn't worth the trek, it absolutely carried me through that fight and saved on elixirs to boot.

Phoenix Tower is hilariously easy with a Summoner because none of the normal enemies in there are Heavy, so you can just spam Odin over and over again. It does take a while though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ask me about my Ninja -> Monk -> Thief -> Dancer and then job fairing into Samurai upgrade run

ask me about beating the crystals with four dancers

ask me about swearing to never do upgrade again

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Freelancers through Garula was a no-brainer, as you'd expect.
Time/White for Liquid Flame ended up as a lazy Demi>Frost Rod.
At least I have Mystic Knight now to do actual non-rod damage! Probably going to Fair away my Earth/Ranger for Monk - tempted to try out every class once this Fiesta, may as well get the pain out of the way while I've got an otherwise incredibly solid party.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, I've never been happier to play without all jobs unlocked from the beginning. :v:

Jesus Christ did you ever dodge a bullet

My one Classic run ever was enough to make me swear to job fair if I ever got stuck with four Thieves or White Mages on Ifrit and Byblos again

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Currently playing WinnerRisk and I've just gained White Mage - when it comes to blue magic, are there any spells you can't get either just fighting or confusing enemies? Since I'm at the end of W1, I want to make sure I've not missed anything. :)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm pretty sure you can't get 1000 Needles without a Beastmaster, as a confused Lamia will only cast it on themselves, and it's not in their normal rotation.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Everything can be obtained either from enemies' normal AI routines or Confuse, tho possibly not at the earliest opportunities

You can get 1000 Needles elsewhere, tho not until at least world 2

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

ask me about beating the crystals with four dancers

Did you throw a million Shurikens at them?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

You're not in the clear until you have another job for Adamantoise

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hellioning posted:

Bleh. I apparently forgot to save last night and now I have to kill liquidflame with three spearless dragoons and a geomancer again.

Man that kills a lot of motivation.

:nallears: If you did it once for real, just switch to Freelancers, wreck LF and move on

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Everything can be obtained either from enemies' normal AI routines or Confuse, tho possibly not at the earliest opportunities

You can get 1000 Needles elsewhere, tho not until at least world 2

1000 Needles (which isn't available till world 3 if you don't have a Beastmaster) and a couple of the level-based spells, although you'd need some source of reflect in the Barrier Tower (so Chemist, basically). 1000 Needles would be useful at a couple points in world 2, but it's not usually the end of the world if you don't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016
One the Blue Magic topic:
Can you get Mind Blast from Wendigo via Confuse?