Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a Yokai, actually.
I'm pretty sure its malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
RotomDex is my enemy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

This is the main problem with calling for help. You put status moves and the like on a pokemon specifically for catching pokemon, who probably isn't a member of your main team. Calling for help only being abated by status effects means that if you find a cool pokemon you want to catch out of the blue, you're pretty much poo poo outta luck.

if none of your main team can paralyze, sleep, poison, or burn, you're probably doing something wrong with your move choices

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Farecoal posted:

Fair, and sorry, that came off as kind of rude :(

I have been complaining a lot. I should try to do the opposite of complaining whenever I find a good thing too

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gripweed posted:

Is this why Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon exist? Because genuinely, it's almost worth releasing entirely new games just to remove calling for help

In the fabled year of 2019 its perfectly possible for GF to just patch stuff like this ya know.

But they never do that because why make QoL improvements when you can fleece people for a third version still.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Ghosts are in the game canon sometimes Definitely People (Gengar, Yamask), sometimes a Shinto animism This Thing Was Neglected/Lasted A Long Time/Had Bad Feelings Directed At It Now It's Got A Soul (Banette, Sandghostle), sometimes Naughty Spirits What Do Bad Things Including Murder (Drifloon), and sometimes A Combination Of The Above (Phantump/Trevenant, which goes from "ghost of lost child" to "angry spirits of trees" when evolving).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I had like maybe a dozen pokemon call for help in my story run of S/M when i wasn't explicitly trying to get them to. What are you doing to those poor pokemon.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm quite happy with calling for help as they got rid of Horde battles which were the absolute loving worst when you got five Roggenrola with Sturdy.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm quite happy with calling for help as they got rid of Horde battles which were the absolute loving worst when you got five Roggenrola with Sturdy.
I had a shiny Roggenrola pop up in one of those packs. It was pretty excruciating extracting him from the 4 other Roggenrola.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

I had a shiny Roggenrola pop up in one of those packs. It was pretty excruciating extracting him from the 4 other Roggenrola.

Small mercy that he only Hordes at levels low enough that he can't learn Explosion. RIP that one shiny wild Graveller everyone encountered and lost in G/S/C.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Imagine the horror of a shiny seviper appearing in the middle of a zangoose horde.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gruckles posted:

Imagine the horror of a shiny seviper appearing in the middle of a zangoose horde.

Yeah, having a shiny Corsola call a Mareanie is bad but nowhere near as evil as this.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I have played every one of these poo poo games since 1998 and I have never once seen a shiny pokemon. gently caress off

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

YOURFRIEND posted:

I have played every one of these poo poo games since 1998 and I have never once seen a shiny pokemon. gently caress off

I'm going to tally my "natural" wild caught shinies now (no Friend Safari, no chaining, no breeding)

G2: red Gyarados obviously, but the first "real" shiny I got was my Pink Drowzee. I was playing in the dark past my bedtime with the light coming under the crack in the door and was so excited I ran out to tell everyone about it. I didn't even get in trouble because I had educated mum on how special and rare shinies were :c00l: I duplicated him with the box deposit duplication glitch and got an army of Pink Hypno. He died, tragically, along with the cart, of course.
G3: green Spinda. Collecting all that ash was a good idea!
G4: NOTHING! RIP.
G5: Purrloin! I kept her around in my team as Liepard for way longer than was comfortable. I really felt Liepard's abysmal stats by halfway through the game. Sadly she was nicked by some jerk on the Serebii trading IRC :negative: Then in Black 2 the first Audino I found was shiny!
G6: NOWT
G7: Stella Alba the white Staryu. She even had a Star Piece!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

YOURFRIEND posted:

This. I've been a fan since day one of the anime and put thousands upon thousands of hours into these stupid games and the only wild shiny I've seen is the Red Gyarados, which doesn't count.

I did get a shiny Barbaracle off of Wonder Trading but I'm pretty sure it's hacked. :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got a shiny Corsola in Gold who would later die because of the loving battery.
Shiny Zigzagoon in Ruby (which i bought some time after finishing Sapphire)
I think that's it.

FerociousStrike
Dec 27, 2003
Gotta post the Junji Ito Gengar illustration while ghost chat is still relevant!

Bonus Shuppet Banette!

FerociousStrike fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 20, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

This. I've been a fan since day one of the anime and put thousands upon thousands of hours into these stupid games and the only wild shiny I've seen is the Red Gyarados, which doesn't count.

I did get a shiny Barbaracle off of Wonder Trading but I'm pretty sure it's hacked. :argh:

If it's from USUM, it's probably legit. Shiny Barbaracle is extremely easy to obtain thanks to Ultra Wormholes, even I caught one and I don't really do the whole shiny farming thing.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

FerociousStrike posted:

Gotta post the Junji Ito Gengar illustration while ghost chat is still relevant!

Bonus Shuppet!

Are those actually his work or just his style? :five: in either case.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I caught a shiny Zubat and Graveler in Diamond/Pearl probably and that's all I can remember.

The only Shiny I'd want is a Breloom and Shinies take entirely too much time and effort to try and get so I'm good.

FerociousStrike
Dec 27, 2003

d3lness posted:

They're really his! They did a collaboration with him a couple Halloweens back.
https://www.pokemon.jp/special/kowapoke/

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Blaze Dragon posted:

If it's from USUM, it's probably legit. Shiny Barbaracle is extremely easy to obtain thanks to Ultra Wormholes, even I caught one and I don't really do the whole shiny farming thing.

It was one of the Gen VI games, and it came at level 100 with perfects IVs. Preeetty sure it's hacked, sadly.

d3lness posted:

They're actually his. The Pokemon Company announced several years back he would be doing a Pokemon collab and those two pictures are what came of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

It was one of the Gen VI games, and it came at level 100 with perfects IVs. Preeetty sure it's hacked, sadly.

Oh, well that sucks. Not only is it not legit, it isn't even particularly valuable as far as shinies go.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

FerociousStrike posted:

They're really his! They did a collaboration with him a couple Halloweens back.
https://www.pokemon.jp/special/kowapoke/

Vandar posted:

They're actually his. The Pokemon Company announced several years back he would be doing a Pokemon collab and those two pictures are what came of it.

Holy poo poo, that's loving rad and makes me unreasonably happy. Thanks for the info!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I never got a wild shiny until I was doing some EV training in emerald to do the battle frontier a couple months back, when I found a shiny zubat

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have never run into a wild shiny, and only ever got one after starting what was basically a Bulbasaur breeding mill. I lost count around 1000 some odd hatches, with a foreign Pokemon and the shiny charm.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Fair, and sorry, that came off as kind of rude :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm going to tally my "natural" wild caught shinies now (no Friend Safari, no chaining, no breeding)

G2: red Gyarados obviously, but the first "real" shiny I got was my Pink Drowzee. I was playing in the dark past my bedtime with the light coming under the crack in the door and was so excited I ran out to tell everyone about it. I didn't even get in trouble because I had educated mum on how special and rare shinies were :c00l: I duplicated him with the box deposit duplication glitch and got an army of Pink Hypno. He died, tragically, along with the cart, of course.
G3: green Spinda. Collecting all that ash was a good idea!
G4: NOTHING! RIP.
G5: Purrloin! I kept her around in my team as Liepard for way longer than was comfortable. I really felt Liepard's abysmal stats by halfway through the game. Sadly she was nicked by some jerk on the Serebii trading IRC :negative: Then in Black 2 the first Audino I found was shiny!
G6: NOWT
G7: Stella Alba the white Staryu. She even had a Star Piece!

my natural shinies are as follows

g2: nothing. i killed gyarados
g3: nothing. i was too old for pokemon
g4: Buizel in Pearl. And Rattata while running around in the grass in HG
g5: nothing.
g6: Slurpuff. I caught 2000+ eggs deep trying to breed a shiny Greninja and I was so insulted that I put it on GTS
g7: nothing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

currently grinding out some BP in the battle subway and I'm somewhat annoyed that they threw out the Battle Factory after Gen 4, considering "you get to rent some already competitively viable pokemon to fight with instead of your own" is probably the only gimmick that's actually been fun and good.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

currently grinding out some BP in the battle subway and I'm somewhat annoyed that they threw out the Battle Factory after Gen 4, considering "you get to rent some already competitively viable pokemon to fight with instead of your own" is probably the only gimmick that's actually been fun and good.

Bring back Challenge cup for Home.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The battle factory made me so mad when I was doing the gen 3 battle frontier. I didn't breed and ev train these pokemon just to use some bullshit pokemon you're giving to me!!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

The battle factory made me so mad when I was doing the gen 3 battle frontier. I didn't breed and ev train these pokemon just to use some bullshit pokemon you're giving to me!!!
I like it, it means I don't NEED to go make pokemon with perfect movesets/natures/IVs, and I can play it as soon as it's unlocked

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaziken386 posted:

It’s in Gen 7 with the Battle Agency but they ruined it because 2 out of 3 of your rentals has to come from other players, and now that Gen 7 is like 4 years old you pretty much have to coordinate with others if you want to rank up.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

21 win streak ended because somehow a garbodor that was one hit away from death outsped my flaming pig that had already gotten two speedboosts :negative:
no that's okay I didn't want that Swords Dance TM, I'll just fight through another hour and a half of annoying trainers

RatHat posted:

It’s in Gen 7 with the Battle Agency but they ruined it because 2 out of 3 of your rentals has to come from other players, and now that Gen 7 is like 4 years old you pretty much have to coordinate with others if you want to rank up.
Oh yeah, I remember that. It was a pain in the rear end even when Gen 7 had just come out. Forced online is the worst.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I got a shiny Corsola in Gold who would later die because of the loving battery.
Shiny Zigzagoon in Ruby (which i bought some time after finishing Sapphire)
I think that's it.

Oh, I got a shiny Zigzagoon in Ultra Sapphire too. Shiny Zigzagoon is a tier above Red Gyarados as it was widely distributed to fix the berry glitch. I still love my wild caught one though, like I love all Zigzagoons :kimchi:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

g3: nothing. i was too old for pokemon
Kids are their own worst enemies sometimes. Imagine thinking you can be too old for something you enjoy.

No judgment intended btw, I grew out of Power Rangers back in like Elementary school and now I'm a huge Tokusatsu fan. Pokemon though I've never stopped playing.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kids are their own worst enemies sometimes. Imagine thinking you can be too old for something you enjoy.

No judgment intended btw, I grew out of Power Rangers back in like Elementary school and now I'm a huge Tokusatsu fan. Pokemon though I've never stopped playing.

I watched a number of kids do the same when Ruby/Sapphire hit around here, especially my younger cousins. I reckon I managed to dodge this feeling due to already being 19 when Gen 3 hit. :corsair:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ziddar posted:

I watched a number of kids do the same when Ruby/Sapphire hit around here, especially my younger cousins. I reckon I managed to dodge this feeling due to already being 19 when Gen 3 hit. :corsair:
That could have a lot to do with it, I didn't consider ages. I'm not that much younger, I played Diamond and Pearl in my last year of high school I believe. That sort of "I'm an adult now, can't be seen doing kiddy poo poo" mindset is more prevalent during Middle School or early High School I think.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
pokemon came out when i was in middle school, but for some reason i thought it sucked when i was in high school. i actually almost skipped dppt in college but then i played mystery dungeon and that brought me around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'd probably care more about shiny hunting if 3/4 of them weren't the same horrible shade of puke green. There's cool ones that work like black charizard or white Vikavolt, but mostly it's like Why would you want a Machamp that looks like he's about to vomit?