Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
My last group had a Kenku for a bit and the vocab thing was never an issue. It was less a restriction on what he was allowed to say and more an excuse for him to mimic the other players' voices as he repeated their phrases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's meant to be a little more harrowing. He's a ranger, he fights the undead, he was trained by the temple to speak Celestial. When you're rich and powerful you don't skimp on hiring an afterlife guide.

Have his name be a beckoning jackal "yip yip"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wepwawet

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I went with "Moz," as short for "mausoleum." Because I absolutely will not be a Liam.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If you want a crack at something different, "Par-djed" is the ancient Egyptian word for a fancy important tomb. It means "House of Eternity."

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I really want to make a kenku bard who makes persuasion rolls with “gimme a kiss [kissy noises]” now

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So to avoid my usual analysis paralysis, I'm polling opinions:

I got an open invite to a group consisting of this:
    cleric (war)
    paladin
    rogue
    ranger
    fighter (EK)

Starting at level 6, Princes of the Apocalypse. Looking to add "a couple players," so they might end up with 6 or 7 PCs.

Any suggestions for fun/interesting builds to compliment the group? Obvious Answer: Bard

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

P.d0t posted:

So to avoid my usual analysis paralysis, I'm polling opinions:

I got an open invite to a group consisting of this:
    cleric (war)
    paladin
    rogue
    ranger
    fighter (EK)

Starting at level 6, Princes of the Apocalypse. Looking to add "a couple players," so they might end up with 6 or 7 PCs.

Any suggestions for fun/interesting builds to compliment the group? Obvious Answer: Bard

Bard is the obvious answer and literally never a wrong choice, but nobody's playing wizard/sorcerer yet so you could bring your favorite flavor of Wizard to the table.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That group seems like it'd benefit a ton from a wizard or bard and you even get to skip wizard's garbage levels. Conjurer would be my pick because Benign Transposition is awesome and recharges off the kind of support spells you'll want to be casting.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, there's so many martials there that a full caster would be a great idea. Heck, with that many PC's, you should use it as an excuse to make a character you'd fine fun as opposed to being necessarily min-maxed. It's the perfect opportunity for some of the less-than-optimal subclasses like Illusion (good, but needs a lot of imagination), Storm Sorcerer, or basically any non-hexblade/non-max-Eldritch Blast Warlock.

Of course, you can also just go full optimal Whizzard or Lore Bard and outpace everyone else, but you've got options!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah that's already a pretty balanced party that's light only in big area control, so you could really play pretty much anything, but a Wizard, Bard, or Sorc would probably be the best fit.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I'm trying to construct a solo encounter using giffyglyphs monster creator and I'm stuck at how to make the melee part of the fight interesting vs a party of 5 melee PCs. Adding cleave or a conal attack feels like it would just punish the groups composition, but just standing there and slugging it out wouldn't be much fun either. The only idea I have left would be to add a bunch of ranged minions?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Free Triangle posted:

I'm trying to construct a solo encounter using giffyglyphs monster creator and I'm stuck at how to make the melee part of the fight interesting vs a party of 5 melee PCs. Adding cleave or a conal attack feels like it would just punish the groups composition, but just standing there and slugging it out wouldn't be much fun either. The only idea I have left would be to add a bunch of ranged minions?

Movement abilities, and locations on the map where it's better or worse to attack or defend from - collapsing floors, gas clouds, etc - or places you can affect other peoples' attacks from. 5e isn't an amazing tactical movement game, but it's better than stand-and-bang..

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Twinned haste will make you a lot of friends in that group make up.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Running the second half of Sunless Citadel this weekend for three 3rd level players. Paladin, rogue, and 'some kind of tank probably". They're about to star meeting the goblins. Should I beef up the encounters a bit?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Free Triangle posted:

This is extremely level dependent. At party level 3, I'd give the solo a couple of Paragon actions, and no legendary actions/resistances (allows the creature to move or perform one action after another creature's turn - use this to perform a dodge action, or disengage early and then move after a second player's turn in the round. Attack back if the paladin tank comes up and smites the poo poo out of it).

At level 5-7 I might give the creature a potion of greater invisibility that lasts maybe 3 rounds, max. Give them something to try and swing wildly at or allow the creature to reposition during the fight. I might also give it a legendary resistance on refresh of 5-6.

Alternatively or also, give it a single-use dispel magic crystal so when they load up on heat metal, bane, slow, and entangle in the first round before the creature's initiative roll, it's not immediately defanged. Make sure you let the party know either as an arcane check from an arcanist, or afterwards when they roll the body that this particular crystal was a one-time use object and they might be able to formulate one, themselves at a later time. (Always try to allow players the ability to get any cool tchotchkes that you make for your BBEGs.)

Solo's have a ton of HP in his monster maker, allow this. You'll be amazed how quickly a decently effective low-to-mid level party can chew through a couple hundred HP on a single creature.

Finally, if the party still chews right through your HP sponge, I've often given a creature resistance to several forms of damage after a certain HP threshold (say under 25%) as well as it telegraphing some sort of rage/berserk, or cornered animal feature. If the fight is close, don't activate this. If the party is still >75-80% of their total HP and haven't blown even half of their spell slots, consider a berserker rage at 25/33/40% remaining HP and make it immune to control effects with resistance to all but (pick 3) types of damage (radiant/psychic/force, for example). Give players the ability if they insight, or arcana, or detect magic, or detect thoughts, or some sort of divination to figure out that the creature's vulnerable, otherwise, just play it out and make it a little more exciting for the party.

I find that adapting the encounter to how the players approach it to ensure that it's challenging, not only to their HP pools, but also to their per-rest resources, and gives them the ability to intuit weaknesses or learn about new ways of approaching encouters other than face-first to be just as necessary (and rewarding) as being able to come up with novel scenarios, traps, and puzzles.

e: The last solo BBEG encounter I ran for a party of 7 players at level 6, playing a weeky slow-grow game over the last 7 or 8 months who have gotten *really* good at working together.

quote:

Tarik The Betrayer

Medium Dragonborn, lawful evil

Level 9 Striker
Elite (2500 XP)

Armor Class 19

Hit Points 255

Speed 30

Str 20 (+5)
Dex 10 (+0)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 14 (+2)

Saving Throws Con +9, Str/Int +5, Cha/Wis/Dex +2

Skills Athletics +13, Intimidation +6

Damage Vulnerabilities psychic

Damage Resistances acid

Condition Immunities blinded, frightened

Senses passive Perception 11

Languages Elvish, Draconic

Challenge 6

Attacks +11 to hit. Hit: 18 damage

Attack DCs primary 19, secondary 16

Dragonbreath. You can breathe dragonfire as an attack (15ft cone, 6d6 damage), or use it to light small fires.

Arcane Protection. Once bloodied, you are resistant to all magical damage.

(Striker) Revenge. Deal bonus damage equal to your level against anyone that hurt you in the previous round. (use once per round at top of initiative)

(Striker) Savage Assault. Once per turn, add your level in extra damage to an attack.

(Controller) Knockback. Halve your attack damage to knock the target back up to 15ft.

Paragon Actions
You can take 4 paragon actions, choosing to either move or perform one action. Only one paragon action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. You regain spent paragon actions at the start of your turn.

Legendary Actions
You can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. You regain spent legendary actions at the start of your turn.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day):. If Tarik fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions):. The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 10 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or take 14 (2d6 + 7) bludgeoning damage and be knocked Prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.

Made with Giffyglyph's Monster Maker

koreban fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 19, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

quote:

Mearls: I can say purely from a tabletop space, one of the things we found was that the ranger character class, in tabletop players really felt the first couple of levels, they weren’t really making choices that they felt were having a real impact on gameplay... One of the things we learned is that we had some assumptions about how exploration would play out in the game back when we were developing 5th edition—we thought, “Oh, we’ll give the rangers some of these toys to play with because exploration is part of the game.” And we’ve just found that either a lot of DMs don’t use a lot of the sub-systems that those spoke to, or they weren’t really coming up on a level of play at the table that was actually impactful to the narrative.

The ranger, for instance: Oh, I’m gonna pick desert as my favored terrain. We can’t get lost in the desert. Which sounds great—I wouldn’t want to get lost in the desert. But when you’re playing a tabletop role-playing game, it basically means, “OK, you’ve crossed the desert, you’re done.” It’s not really giving the ranger a chance to shine. So we’re looking at maybe play-testing this summer some new options that complement what’s there without overriding it.

So Mearls is still doing things. Also maybe they're gonna graft on some Ranger improvements.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wow they figured out that a smattering of noncombat QOL adjustments don't actually make a class interesting? Why the must have worked on that conundrum for 10 or more years ago!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would rather a team that didn't have Mearls in it just did a full pass over the entire PHB but oh well

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So Mearls is still doing things. Also maybe they're gonna graft on some Ranger improvements.

LOL at thinking a feature that says "you can't get lost" doesn't lead to anything interesting. No poo poo, getting lost is the interesting thing that can happen.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm reminded of Cyberpunk 2020's Solos and their "you don't get into firefights" ability.

Edit: or rather "Firefights end immediately"

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Piell posted:

LOL at thinking a feature that says "you can't get lost" doesn't lead to anything interesting. No poo poo, getting lost is the interesting thing that can happen.

They should just shift it that Rangers get, like, some variation of Alert while in their preferred terrain

I already like the sound of that, time to start brewing

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think a big misstep for 5e was the replacement of modifiers with advantage/disadvantage. AV/DV should be big boons/banes and reserved for exceptional cases, but boiling most modifiers down to AV/DV removes a lot of flexibility game design wise and makes class combinations less dramatic when all you need to do is apply AV to gain a tremendous benefit for the whole party, which can be done as early as level 1 in some cases.

If I were changing things I’d return to modifiers and increasing values like AC and DC.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"I mean how do you even make a 'desert ranger' interesting?"

<Makes a Barbarian only tangentially related to elemental principles>

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
There's nothing inherently interesting about living in a place. You gotta have more than that. Connections to a culture, local animals, druids. Or some other thing entirely. Just knowing poo poo about where you live isn't an identity, it's common sense. Which is one of the major identity issues with the Ranger class, they treat it like "You live in forests, but like...more" as a core feature.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Make it be like Mog from FF6, where you're all about manipulating terrain and changing up the weather to gently caress with your enemies. Get all the thematic spells like Snilloc's Snowball Swarm and Erupting Earth, you and your buds get to be immune to difficult terrain penalties, stuff like that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The Gate posted:

There's nothing inherently interesting about living in a place. You gotta have more than that. Connections to a culture, local animals, druids. Or some other thing entirely. Just knowing poo poo about where you live isn't an identity, it's common sense. Which is one of the major identity issues with the Ranger class, they treat it like "You live in forests, but like...more" as a core feature.

You're right, but you just make poo poo up. That's my point. Magic lightning barbarian is no more or less plausible than 'desert ranger'.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Favored terrain was always weird to me. Either it's gonna come up a lot, and be weirdly good, or it's not gonna come up often, which is weirdly bad. Same general thing like Favored Enemies, too. It's hard to balance a class around "Is better at fighting a thing, without taking into account of often that thing shows up".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That's why forests are good as a favored terrain, what kind of D&D campaign doesn't have a forest. On the other hand, Favored Enemies doesn't give you a mechanical bonus to actually fighting the thing? You just know more about it, which I guess could help if you knew their weakness.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also, our wizard finally summoned a familiar tonight, and went for a flying monkey. I was fine with it but realized afterwards that it has a carrying capacity of 130 pounds and he'll probably use it to pull off flying shenanigans.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ranger is just a flawed class concept if you consider that navigation is by itself a very boring aspect of 5e.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The current iteration of Artificer is really kooky and fun at level 1. I cast Arcane Weapon as a bonus action and then shot a guy for 16 damage on a non-crit on my first round of combat ever.

Rapidly falls off as the die on heavy xbow stops being so impressive, but lol

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Honestly I would change the narrative of what a ranger is before I start fixing stuff.

Make rangers very powerful ambushers
Give them unique traps they can lay out
Let them tame beasts half their level or lower
Make them ranged-combat monsters who can ignore defenses of creatures they’ve fought before or studied

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Verisimilidude posted:

Ranger is just a flawed class concept if you consider that navigation is by itself a very boring aspect of 5e.

Explicit exploration-pillar and social-pillar abilities are cool and good to give to players, it's just really really stupid that only a couple of classes/subclasses get them, and they get them instead of combat abilities. Also separately, a lot of the Ranger exploration abilities are boring and stupid. At least Druids can talk to animals and ghosts and poo poo that might be interesting.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The problem with Rangers is that there's just nothing about them that doesn't feel like a worse version of another class. Want to be the archer? Why not a Dex fighter for good DPR or Rogue for burst? Want to be a cool nature guy? Why not a Druid for better spells or Scout Rogue for better skill monkeying? Want to be a caster/melee hybrid? Why not a Paladin for better AC and utility or a Warlock for faster spell progression? The only reason to pick a Ranger is because they can do a little bit of all of that, but no one usually wants to have the star moments be them being "eh" at everything.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean sort of yeah but niche protection is already not present. All the arguments against why should a Ranger exist apply equally to Barbarians or Rogues. On its face neither "gets real mad" nor, "decent at locks, enjoys small spaces" meaningfully differentiated those classes from Fighters, either.

There is nothing wrong with Rangers represeting some kind of archer/finesse survivorman but you have to make their abilities proactive and fun. They don't even need to be better than another class in terms of DPR or whatever (though if would be nice if they were designed to be fun and cool); they just need to have a unique, proactive feature and the closest thing they get is Hunter's Mark.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I disagree about Rogues - I think there's very much something to that class and archetype that isn't adequately represented by anything else in D&D and that they had some genuinely good ideas about in 5E (Cunning Action is cool) - but the overall point that niche protection isn't really a thing in D&D is valid. There's barely any class in the game that can't somehow be replaced by another, mechanically or thematically.

Unfortunately, the Ranger kinda sucks mechanically and is kind of boring and unappealing thematically. If you rated each class on a 1-10 scale in each of those two ways, its combined score would almost definitely be the lowest in the game, granting how subjective the latter is. And it has been for a very long time, bar 4E where it was at least real good at murder.

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 20, 2019

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
What the Ranger is missing the most is the Woodsman and Streetwise skills.

Being able to differentiate between scrounging up resources, tracking quarry, navigating quickly, or gleaning information in urban versus natural settings instead of “roll survival” is an oversimplification that went too far.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Free Triangle posted:

Give him a cone, a cleave and a solo damage move then, warm them "he reads up his tail poised to strike, he leans back and takes a huge gulp of air." Type stuff so they're always on the move to avoid attacks.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I disagree about Rogues - I think there's very much something to that class and archetype that isn't adequately represented by anything else in D&D and that they had some genuinely good ideas about in 5E (Cunning Action is cool) - but the overall point that niche protection isn't really a thing in D&D is valid. There's barely any class in the game that can't somehow be replaced by another, mechanically or thematically.

I was watching Matt Colville and he had an interesting take (from an even old gamer he knew) on how the introduction of rogues screwed up the game for everyone else. He said before the rogue, everybody would sneak around, and anyone could try to pick a lock. Then the rogue came along and turned everyone else into lumbering buffoons so that it could have its own niche. I don't know if I agree totally, but it does make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I feel like ranger is an interesting idea marred by a combination of fear of martial power, and weird limitations.

Favored terrain is neat and interesting, and it would be cool if it did some extra stuff mechanically. For instance, I gave a PC in a game I ran advantage vs poison, poison damage, poison spells, etc with their jungle ranger. I also gave him an equivalent of cunning action limited to his favored terrain, but limited to only being able to re-hide while in it during that extra action.

It kept the other powers, which let it be an exploration power and a mechanical one that came up in combat. (It helped that I also had the campaign take place in jungles for 4/5ths of it)

I don't think rangers need to all be battlemaster bow fighter level combatants with DPR, personally.

Give them more neat hunting abilities. Let them negate the Resistances of things they are tracking. Give them access to unique traps. I dunno. But I think 'straight up add numbers so they shoot arrows as hard as a fighter' is a boring way to fix them.