Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

redpleb posted:

goon friends! the day is coming when badger will finally send me my patriot for their 55th birthday deal and I'm a poor that will require a compressor. I read the OP and know that my options are slim, but has anything changed in the world of small cheap compressors in the 3 years since the op? it seems like the recommended ~$200 compressor is more like <300 now and that's a little out of my price range.

I bought a No Name Compressor from Spraygunner, and I love it. You might give it a whirl. They'll be out of stock for about a week though, you'll have to wait:

https://spraygunner.com/galaxy-air-airbrush-compressor-by-no-name-brand/

https://spraygunner.com/skyline-airbrush-compressor-by-no-name-brand/

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A long time ago I came across a third party bits site that had tiny resin grips/triggers for modifying modern GW space marine weapons with the hands attached to be complete weapons for dioramas. Has anyone seen these? I wish I'd bookmarked them. I've tried Anvil, Zinge, Spellcrow, Kromlech. :(

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Really liked how the yellow dude turned out, so I painted up some friends for him today.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

EvilBeard posted:

I bought a No Name Compressor from Spraygunner, and I love it. You might give it a whirl. They'll be out of stock for about a week though, you'll have to wait:

https://spraygunner.com/galaxy-air-airbrush-compressor-by-no-name-brand/

https://spraygunner.com/skyline-airbrush-compressor-by-no-name-brand/

Thanks! That's super helpful

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

redpleb posted:

goon friends! the day is coming when badger will finally send me my patriot for their 55th birthday deal and I'm a poor that will require a compressor. I read the OP and know that my options are slim, but has anything changed in the world of small cheap compressors in the 3 years since the op? it seems like the recommended ~$200 compressor is more like <300 now and that's a little out of my price range.

I also use a no name, off brand compressor (with no tank at that), paid 60 eurobucks for it and it works just fine. I use it only like 2 hours a week though so ymmv.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Furism posted:

I also use a no name, off brand compressor (with no tank at that), paid 60 eurobucks for it and it works just fine. I use it only like 2 hours a week though so ymmv.

I bought one for $110aud from a hobby shop. I was like "I don't know man" but the guy guaranteed it would work great and he didn't lie.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Mistafab posted:

Just wanted to jump in and say, drat that's a fantastic paintjob on an awesome model. Been flirting with getting it for a while and your paintjob is making it even harder to resist. Really all the newish goblin and troll models are fantastic. But seriously, this needs more love, amazing job!

Thanks! It was quite fun; nearly want to paint another right after, but will see if my enthusiasm survives doing the Troggboss too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The No Name Skyline seems like a good deal.

Thanks for compresser recommendations!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Has anyone still given a try on how Contrast paints work on an airbrushed primer? I've seen a lot of conflicting reports on how well they work if you don't use GW's special new primers.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Worked fine on Badger's white primer for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Great, thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

redpleb posted:

$130 with a tank, you will need an adapter fitting for the patriot

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBT7PTW

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah unless you have an extreme use case, TC40T will be more than enough for miniature painting.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

richyp posted:

Really liked how the yellow dude turned out, so I painted up some friends for him today.

Okay this may have just single-handedly sold me on Contrast paints. These look great!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TotalHell posted:

Okay this may have just single-handedly sold me on Contrast paints. These look great!

Thanks, I did a write up on Goonhammer: https://www.goonhammer.com/beer-bristles-episode-4-contrast-uniformity-and-other-oxymorons/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For people who photograph with lightboxes, does anyone know where I can get a couple of those neat textured backdrops? Everything I'm finding is for giant studio-sized setups and trying to print out images leads to some unimpressive results. I've seen a few people post photos with them and they had a noticeable fabric texture, so obviously someone makes them, but I can't figure out how to find them.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I finally played a game of Titanicus - which means I have some non potato camera pictures of my titans.

Puer Magnus

Puer Quaestio

Lupus Callidus and Lupus Mortiferum

House Piger Pictorem - They were frosted pretty badly by GWs varnish which is a shame because I was really pleased with how they turned out at first (especially considering how little effort I put into painting them).

We played 2 v 2, each player controlling a titan for our first game. Ended in a draw after my teammate destroyed the opposing reaver, who careened into his own reaver, destroying it.

All the scenery belongs to my friend. It looked incredibly cool but i'm thinking it would be more practical to play on a flat map as opposed to the forgeworld tiles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hit the ghosted varnish with another coat. It should clear it up.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hit the ghosted varnish with another coat. It should clear it up.

Honestly I don't think they were hit so bad its worth the chance. My friends Grim Ironjaw and White Dwarf got ghosted and a second coat made it worse (It's heartbreaking to me because I can see their lovely dwarf paint job in my minds eye).

It just taught me to stick to doing it by hand and passing off the large models to my airbrush owning friend to varnish.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For people who photograph with lightboxes, does anyone know where I can get a couple of those neat textured backdrops? Everything I'm finding is for giant studio-sized setups and trying to print out images leads to some unimpressive results. I've seen a few people post photos with them and they had a noticeable fabric texture, so obviously someone makes them, but I can't figure out how to find them.

Many folks (including me) seem to have the Macromat set from tablewar. It's great for photographing single miniatures or squads.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 21, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Many folks (including me) seem to have the Macromat set from tablewar. It's great for photographing single miniatures or squads.

If, you know, you like the fabric texture in your backdrop.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrFlibble posted:

Honestly I don't think they were hit so bad its worth the chance. My friends Grim Ironjaw and White Dwarf got ghosted and a second coat made it worse (It's heartbreaking to me because I can see their lovely dwarf paint job in my minds eye).

It just taught me to stick to doing it by hand and passing off the large models to my airbrush owning friend to varnish.

I have had good success using a gloss coat and then trying again, but I totally understand the hesitation.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Ive been messing around with contrast on these squigs and its been a lot of fun largely just slapping it on and playing with it

Im coming up on the end of the group and I have to figure out what color to use for the handlers' robes. Any thoughts? The standard black would probably be a good counterbalance to the bright colorful squigs but it seems kind of boring. Anyone here have some night goblins for inspiration?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

MrFlibble posted:

I will second what others have said. Gloss it and then re-varnish. Fuzzing is really scary it gloss makes it magically disappear.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have had good success using a gloss coat and then trying again, but I totally understand the hesitation.

My friend is sorting out the dwarves...by painting them again, over the varnish. I'm curious to see how that works out, but contrast paints are super thin and it sounds like its working.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Booley posted:

If, you know, you like the fabric texture in your backdrop.

Is there a good way to avoid that? I tried printing some out but it kinda looks like rear end, I dunno if its just because of the ink / paper that I used but it interacted really weirdly with the lighting, with big patches that were very matte and others that reflected way too much light.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

:siren: :frogsiren: WIP :frogsiren: :siren:

There's still plenty to be done here. I've still got to shade and highlight the additional armor panels - I've already taken care of the panels that are part of the body. After that, I've got details to do like the plasma (blue) and lenses (yellow). Still not sure what color to do the missiles, but may go with bone. I'm planning on an urban basing scheme for these models to help offset the green and brass.

And then there's the decals. :shepface:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The words "fly as hell" come to mind

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin'

:siren: :frogsiren: WIP :frogsiren: :siren:

There's still plenty to be done here. I've still got to shade and highlight the additional armor panels - I've already taken care of the panels that are part of the body. After that, I've got details to do like the plasma (blue) and lenses (yellow). Still not sure what color to do the missiles, but may go with bone. I'm planning on an urban basing scheme for these models to help offset the green and brass.

And then there's the decals. :shepface:

great. Love the metal.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a good way to avoid that? I tried printing some out but it kinda looks like rear end, I dunno if its just because of the ink / paper that I used but it interacted really weirdly with the lighting, with big patches that were very matte and others that reflected way too much light.

That happens because your printer doesn't have a 'white' ink tank, so instead of printing something, it'll just leave that spot as paper.

High end printers have a gloss tank to hit that area with a 'varnish' so the finish is uniform.

If you take that artwork and get a commercial printer to do it for you, it'll also fix it. Might cost $10 for a print, but eh.

Other option, place your miniature further away from the backdrop so your depth of field doesn't have it in focus.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

That happens because your printer doesn't have a 'white' ink tank, so instead of printing something, it'll just leave that spot as paper.

High end printers have a gloss tank to hit that area with a 'varnish' so the finish is uniform.

If you take that artwork and get a commercial printer to do it for you, it'll also fix it. Might cost $10 for a print, but eh.

Other option, place your miniature further away from the backdrop so your depth of field doesn't have it in focus.

You can still pick up some speculars moving the background further away, plus if it's a sweep some will be under the base (part of why it's impossible to make a Macromat look good without a bunch of photoshop). Other than getting them professionally printed, the best solution is to varnish your backdrop.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What's a good metallic for highlighting Leadbelcher? The Citadel pots that came with my Death Guard starter set are enraging me so much that I may just swear off any of their stuff that's not a wash. I've started to buy Vallejo stuff for the other colors I need, based off a conversion chart, but I've heard poor reviews of some of the Vallejo metallics, unless they're of the airbrush variety, and I'm not using an airbrush.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Filthy Hans posted:

What's a good metallic for highlighting Leadbelcher? The Citadel pots that came with my Death Guard starter set are enraging me so much that I may just swear off any of their stuff that's not a wash. I've started to buy Vallejo stuff for the other colors I need, based off a conversion chart, but I've heard poor reviews of some of the Vallejo metallics, unless they're of the airbrush variety, and I'm not using an airbrush.

You can brush on airbrush metallics and they're often very good.

Citadel non base metal is pretty much all bad.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

You can still pick up some speculars moving the background further away, plus if it's a sweep some will be under the base (part of why it's impossible to make a Macromat look good without a bunch of photoshop). Other than getting them professionally printed, the best solution is to varnish your backdrop.

Out of interest what is the best varnish for this? I've used AP matte spray varnish and it is quite uneven on my painted backdrop.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Out of interest what is the best varnish for this? I've used AP matte spray varnish and it is quite uneven on my painted backdrop.

No idea. Probably 2 or 3 thin coats moving the can in perpendicular directions each coat. I'm just saying that if I needed to make a printed at home backdrop work that's what I'd do, not that I've done it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Filthy Hans posted:

Vallejo Metal Color, whichever shade you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDELycXMS4

It's a bit thin so you have to watch how you work with it but I always brush it on and it's great once you get used to it.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I wasn't paying attention while building my Imperial knight and glued a part to a weapon that I wanted to keep attached to the body only so I could swap weapons on and off of it.

Im now trying to make a mould and copies of the piece but it's not going well. God damnit >:I

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Vallejo Metal Color, whichever shade you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDELycXMS4

It's a bit thin so you have to watch how you work with it but I always brush it on and it's great once you get used to it.

JBP posted:

You can brush on airbrush metallics and they're often very good.

Citadel non base metal is pretty much all bad.

thanks, I'll try out some VMC

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Cool and good. Until you trash my yellow bois :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What is this "vertical strokes" tip? I'm struggling with getting consistent results on any larger area. Initially I made the mistake of "touching up" too light areas before the paint had completely dried, which produced a horrible mess, like if you try to add too little wash to an already washed area before it's completely dry.

I also picked up a bottle of Space Wolf Grey yesterday with the intent of seeing how well I can do Space Woofs with it, and so far I'm not super optimistic. But it's not like I've done a lot of practising yet.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 22, 2019