Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

1. you must be doing something illegal at all times (dragging body, carrying illegal item, etc.) 10 second culminative grace period

Please tell me this condition is one that could actually work in the game, because "you must be doing something illegal at all times" is such a funny phrase that drips with the possibilities for silly hijinks. Certainly beats Sticky Pistol/Hide All Bodies while giving the same kind of gameplay challenges.

As for the ETs, I got a picture-perfect Silent Assassin chandelier drop on the town hall guy after luring all his bodyguards into the Bohemian's house. Then I botched dropping a chandelier on the other guy, he went into lockdown and I just chucked the Golf Ball into a room full of guards.

I don't even have the Terminus Suit on 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I call this the Sapienza Map Quality Escalation

Step 1: Kill Caruso and Di Santis, the virus must not be destroyed
no further steps

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The Mash posted:

no further steps

Only if the virus glows blue, and is visible at all times.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Mash posted:

no further steps

:master:
IOI needs to hire you ASAP! (Better yet, though; still give it three 'tiers' with the exact same requirements. Since Sapienza is so good that I for one would be happy to play it three times in a row :D )

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I don't understand why they haven't gone back and made the virus optional after you've done it once, like they did with the tornado shelter in Colorado.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Please tell me this condition is one that could actually work in the game, because "you must be doing something illegal at all times" is such a funny phrase that drips with the possibilities for silly hijinks. Certainly beats Sticky Pistol/Hide All Bodies while giving the same kind of gameplay challenges.
Escalations and challenges prove that the game is able to track far more things than we as players have access to in Contracts Mode. For example, I asked them a long time ago about making incinerator/baler/shredder kills their own thing (in a contract they just count as Any Method), and the new Escalation explicitly demonstrates that incinerator kills can be tracked, but you still can't make use of that yourself. Likewise Rowdy Guns proved that the game can track unsilenced vs. silenced firearms, but there is no way to deal with that.

My favorite "what are you smoking" thing in Contracts Mode, however, is that a Pistol Elimination does not count as a Pistol kill. If I'm going to let someone pop a target with a pistol at range, I do not care at all if they get up close and use an elimination prompt instead. The game CAN make this distinction, as I believe there was an Escalation where that was kosher, but once again we can't do it.

Urben and I actually provided IOI with a new kill method priority chart before Hitman 2 even came out, one that didn't change much of anything but made more sense and allowed more granularity ("Non-Explosion Accident" was a subset of every accident type and further generalized to "Accident" as now), but I'm not sure they ever listened. They also didn't listen when we said we always want Contracts Mode on map variants, but at least we're getting two whole new levels this time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The Milton Confabulation (Marrakesh day)
All levels begin in the Consulate Intern outfit, blended at the copier on the lower floor of the embassy.

Level 1
No disguise change: If you change your starting disguise at any point you will immediately fail the mission.
Agency pickups are not available.
Company Car: The car in the embassy basement is the only exit available.
Extreme Security: Deadly landmines have been added throughout the parking garage and area outside the embassy. Equip the disarm device in your inventory to bypass the mines.
Retrieve the watch from the safe in the bazaar.
Use the computer in the office area.

Level 2
No disguise change: If you change your starting disguise at any point you will immediately fail the mission.
Extreme Security: Deadly landmines have been added throughout the parking garage and area outside the embassy. Equip the disarm device in your inventory to bypass the mines.
Big brother: Additional security cameras are present. If recorded by a security camera, delete the evidence within two minutes.
Wild Card: Some things have been moved, removed or added to the mission. [The car keys are now in the consulate kitchen.]
Retrieve the item from the safe in the embassy basement.
Retrieve the item from the safe in the consular office.
Retrieve the item from the safe in the security trailer.

Level 3
Extreme Security: Deadly laser-tripwires have been added throughout the embassy. Equip the disarm device in your inventory to bypass the lasers.
Big brother: Additional security cameras are present. If recorded by a security camera, delete the evidence within two minutes.
Wild Card: Some things have been moved, removed or added to the mission. [The car keys are now in the massage room. The security server is now in the security trailer.]
Retrieve coffee from the bazaar and place it on the meeting room table.

Level 4
Extreme Security: Deadly laser-tripwires have been added throughout the embassy. Equip the disarm device in your inventory to bypass the lasers.
Intern with a Shotgun: The Intern is now an Enforcer and carries a shotgun.
Wild Card: Some things have been moved, removed or added to the mission. [The car keys are now in the consulate basement. The security server is now gone.]
Use the computers in the office area, studio, consular office and reception.

Level 5
Assassinate Hilda Berg, Erik Olander, Alden Riauff Hansson, and Ms. Persson using fire.
Retrieve the item from the consulate office desk.

Reward
Unlocks the Red Stapler, which is an unsuspicious lethal melee weapon and a nonlethal thrown weapon. The stapler is not an illegal item, but NPCs will pick it up as if it were a phone or coin.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 17, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Can I just say that every day I breathe a sigh of disappointment, about the fact that there's no way to unlock the tactical wetsuit (even though there WAS an ET on Hawke's Bay) or the prologue training outfit with gloves? :(

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Failed to get silent assassin in that ET for some reason. The UI marker thing turned red when I got spotted by a camera and then I took out the evidence so that shouldn't have voided it right? Must have gotten seen by someone after the cameras, maybe when I killed the guy with the chandelier.

Were you trespassing when the camera spotted you?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there anything special to do when disguised as the Politician in Whittleton? I got his outfit but even the intern near his booth didn't say anything lol. Similarly I didn't really know if anything changed when you're in Roy Batty's clothes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Moon Shrimp posted:

Were you trespassing when the camera spotted you?
This is an important thing to note. While cameras recording you can just be deleted later, if a guard is actively watching the feeds and you're doing something illegal (the camera should have a dot over it if you are), they can spot you through the camera and will come down to where they saw you. This is the same as being spotted by a guard normally and will void SA.

As to when a guard is "watching," I think it just involves proximity to the evidence recorder or preset guards or something because I've definitely had instances where cameras never seemed to be actively watched.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I thought the "guard watching the feeds" thing was horseshit and cameras just spotted you if you were being illegal, like they used to in 2016's pro mode? In any event, the cameras loving up on the elusive had nothing to do with that, I was running past in a valid disguise specifically to avoid the issue. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just tested it - in paris, knocking out the npcs around both security stations (attic + basement) meant that when I got recorded by the cameras, it did not cause a guard to hunt for me in a "searching" activity. The cameras also lacked the white dot and suspicious meter/lines. After removing the evidence at the security station, my status icon returned to green SA status.

if you don't knock out the npcs around security stations, cameras will have the "dot" in instinct, getting spotted by cameras does trigger a suspicion meter, does cause a guard to search for my presence, and permanently breaks SA status.

If you get spotted by cameras but the suspicion meter does not fill (you "tap" their vision cone but don't linger in it), no guard will be summoned to look for you, and you can destroy the evidence to return to SA status.

Of course, if you have a disguise that is legal for the area, the cameras won't have a suspicion meter and deleting the evidence will return you to Silent Assassin status.

tldr: if you get the "searching"/"found trespassing" activity from a camera, your SA status is busted beyond repair, and you should restart if you care about those things.

now the question remaining is: what does the game consider "near the security station"?

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 19, 2019

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think being in a valid disguise but doing something overtly illegal (like carrying a gun as a waiter) may also cause the camera to spot you, but as long as you're allowed to be where you are and doing nothing obviously suspicious, you will be recorded but will not be spotted.

As far as the guard thing, that's an interesting question and I think there's an easy, if slow, way to find out: Do something illegal in front of a camera, KO/kill the guard who responds, repeat until guards stop coming.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they featured my cheeseburger-throwing contract (hungry hungry hitman)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Congratulations!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sick

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Awesome! Congrats!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Way to go!

...I'm disappointed no one commented on my Office Space escalation.

Separately, it does appear clear that the cameras system is not working well. At a minimum, it's causing a degree of confusion such that its underlying systems are not well communicated (especially for the degree of effect they have on players).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 20, 2019

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Discendo Vox posted:

Way to go!

...I'm disappointed no one commented on my Office Space escalation.

Separately, it does appear clear that the cameras system is not working well. At a minimum, it's causing a degree of confusion such that its underlying systems are not well communicated (especially for the degree of effect they have on players).

If the SA breaking is from guards watching through the cameras, you'd think this would be easily communicated via one of the pop up windows showing a guard watching through the cameras. Should be relatively easy to patch in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't really watch anything. there's some sort of link between some but not all guards and the cameras, but it's not actually a realistic simulation of video surveillance.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah there is no animation or anything, it's more of a "if { security station.radius contains npc.guard} then camera behaviour 1,
else camera behaviour 2"

sort of deal. Though they could build the animation system i'm sure. If they had the urge and time, there's no technical limitation

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 21, 2019

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
What ended up being the fix for the "people can see where you sniped from all the way across the map and immediately zero in on you" bug?

In doing Colorado's Sniper Assassin, the workaround was just crouching immediately after making your shot, but I'm trying that Mumbai Crows Nest challenge and Dawood Rangan's entourage immediately comes for me even if I shoot him when he's far ahead of everyone else.

Aug 24, 2011

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

What ended up being the fix for the "people can see where you sniped from all the way across the map and immediately zero in on you" bug?

In doing Colorado's Sniper Assassin, the workaround was just crouching immediately after making your shot, but I'm trying that Mumbai Crows Nest challenge and Dawood Rangan's entourage immediately comes for me even if I shoot him when he's far ahead of everyone else.

1. be really fast
2. book it the gently caress out of dodge after you snipe them
3. you don't have to exit via tornado shelter so you can just use the front gate instead

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Wait, have they still not fixed that after breaking it real bad in one of the last two big updates?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I realize it's for the best from a gameplay perspective but I do kind of miss how bumping up against someone enough times in Hitman 1.0 would cause them to potentially label you as Suspicious and even put you under arrest. I had one video where I bumped into a person at the consulate in Marrakesh and this one tiny brush with them caused all the security people to kill me, loving up my run lol.

edit: ah, it was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL6T7FFKLE0&t=540s

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Once I was giving cassidy the home tour in whittleton creek when I turned on a TV, but this made him suspicious. Turned it back off, crime noticed, gun drawn, never made it to the vault. Dude hates TV

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

poverty goat posted:

Once I was giving cassidy the home tour in whittleton creek when I turned on a TV, but this made him suspicious. Turned it back off, crime noticed, gun drawn, never made it to the vault. Dude hates TV

gently caress YOU FAKE NEWS *shoots TV several times*

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Good news, Discendo and Fern: I have discovered a way to potentially create a contract that requires the use of a worn unique disguise and can be done without violating No Pacifications. Now the bad news: I only know of two ways to set it up. One can't be done in a contract, and the other necessitates knocking out an unrelated NPC.

Also trying to work out a way to out of bounds glitch as a knight in Sgail. Access even to a ledge drop would permit smuggling the armor out of the penthouse, but I've yet to find anything and the existing out of bounds methods tend to employ corner subduals which I don't believe a knight can do.

EDIT: The new Miami Escalation with no mastery and no loadout. Easy as pie.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 22, 2019

Aug 24, 2011

from a reddit post

quote:

Much to my chagrin I found out that blood puddles are also rigged up to conduct electricity...

contract brainstorming time! the electrocution targets will need to a) not be guards, since they pick up tasers - or have enough targets that you can't tase them all - and b) not be near any source of water.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They blood pools are rigged to conduct but not to alarm? :stare:
Won't you need to kill someone for the blood?

Sininu posted:

Wait, have they still not fixed that after breaking it real bad in one of the last two big updates?
Wasn't their fix to delay the gunshot sound trigger by a little?

Aug 24, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

They blood pools are rigged to conduct but not to alarm? :stare:
Won't you need to kill someone for the blood?

apparently to the first, yes to the second

so you need one any/any target to be your blood pool... or just accident/poison him then shoot until blood comes out. does blood come out if you shoot them in the torso without killing them? science to be done.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are there any electrical sources that you can only use once? Maybe the garden lights in Whittleton Creek?

Aug 24, 2011

Dabir posted:

Are there any electrical sources that you can only use once? Maybe the garden lights in Whittleton Creek?

hmm, maybe kill a guy next to one of those and then electrocute another target as they come to investigate the body? problem is the investigator would probably also be a guard, and then you'd have the problem of people just tasering him

if there's a nearby water source the contract stops being a gimmick because you can taser that instead

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can you broadsword the auction balcony guard and blood taser Dalia in Paris?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
So apparently on the PS4 the achievement for completing the second sniper challenge is "ultra rare" and only 0.4% of players beat it.

Am I like the only person on PS4 to even play that mission?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

So apparently on the PS4 the achievement for completing the second sniper challenge is "ultra rare" and only 0.4% of players beat it.

I think more than 250 people played this game.

But seriously I love achievement stats, mainly for the always shockingly high number of people who don't get past the opening bits of games.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

marktheando posted:

I think more than 250 people played this game.

But seriously I love achievement stats, mainly for the always shockingly high number of people who don't get past the opening bits of games.

Yeah it's pretty great. I remember playing "the surge" and only like 2% of all players got to the second level.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Going by how long it took me to find a single multiplayer sniper partner on pc (gotta get 125/125 cheevs after all), I think either hantu port/the sniper mode in general is wildly unpopular, or people are waiting for a full map to come out before buying the expansion pass - the only people who're playing it now are probably the gold edition at launch havers like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

contract brainstorming time! the electrocution targets will need to a) not be guards, since they pick up tasers - or have enough targets that you can't tase them all - and b) not be near any source of water.
Did you actually test this? Because it doesn't work at all. At the very least, a blood puddle is not conductive of electricity under any circumstances I can determine. Whoever said this must have been standing in water or a puddle or something without knowing it. The blood's just a decal, it doesn't appear to do anything.

EDIT: But since you're curious, here's the skinny. A blood puddle will only form when an NPC is initially killed, and then only when killed in a "bloody" fashion. Any gunshot and any lethal melee other than Fiber Wire will work (not sure about explosions but I believe not, oddly enough). Stuff like frontal non-lethal melee will spatter blood about, but it won't create a puddle.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 23, 2019