Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've gotten up to 99.6% of the map discovered but still need more shards and items. 😬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It only affects if you started a game prior to 1.02, patched, then kept playing on 1.02

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Barudak posted:

It only affects if you started a game prior to 1.02, patched, then kept playing on 1.02

That’s what I did but I haven’t run into any chest issues and I’m wondering if I’m in the clear or if this will bite me later on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Overbite posted:

That’s what I did but I haven’t run into any chest issues and I’m wondering if I’m in the clear or if this will bite me later on

Have you seen a green or red chest be open before youve opened it? If not youre fine. The specific chest that no fooling you cant bypass is about mid game in the tower area and visible to you when you enter. If thats open RIP otherwise perservere

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Barudak posted:

Have you seen a green or red chest be open before youve opened it? If not youre fine. The specific chest that no fooling you cant bypass is about mid game in the tower area and visible to you when you enter. If thats open RIP otherwise perservere

Oh if you mean the gold chest there I was able to open that’s and get the item fine. Looks like I was able to dodge the bullet after all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've got that multi lightning bolt spell, a thunder ring and a crit ring now. It's been a while since a mook has remained on screen for more than a second.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

it's been two days and i'm still finding new ways to get stuck, the magical feeling has still not faded!! i killed bloodless and drained the fountain but the underwater caverns just looped and i haven't found a soul to let me walk underwater so it's a bit ?? where i need to go next. the spike corridor i can't go through yet...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, I have to restart, that hold chest was already opened...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, hard mode doesn't mess around, I'm having trouble just getting to the second teleporter room inside the castle.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

arisu posted:

The game breaking bug applies if you start a game before patch 1.02, then update the game to 1.02 and continue that same save. If you have not started a game, go ahead and update to 1.02 and start a new game and you shouldn't hit the weird chest bug.

There are still a lot of other persistent bugs in the game though.
Does "start a game before patch 1.02" include people who would have played it on Steam on the 18th?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Any tips for iga boss fight? I need my swordwhip! I kind of have his pattern down it's just he hits so hard and I feel like the battle just keeps going and going.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Does "start a game before patch 1.02" include people who would have played it on Steam on the 18th?

I'm not 100% certain but I think steam launched with 1.02 so you should be fine. I started immediately on the 18th and I haven't encountered the chest bug or any other issues.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have never castled a vania before. Should I buy this game anyway?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Social Animal posted:

I'm not 100% certain but I think steam launched with 1.02 so you should be fine. I started immediately on the 18th and I haven't encountered the chest bug or any other issues.
What's the current rev? Usually a game on steam will put it on the corner on the title but I can't see/check it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I have never castled a vania before. Should I buy this game anyway?

Yes it's a very good game. If you like to explore and you like rpg elements, you will like this game.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

What's the current rev? Usually a game on steam will put it on the corner on the title but I can't see/check it.

Not sure to be honest. The official twitter account seems to allude to the fact that this chest bug issue was with ps4 because it wasn't launched with 1.02. Where are you at currently on your save file? I think you should be fine.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm fairly close to the end, but I'm definitely considering getting most, if not all, items. Part of the charm of SotN was the fact that there were weird joke items, easter eggs hidden within them, etc.
Also, is there a new game+? I'm not usually a fan of them, but considering I had a chest glitch, I wouldn't mind running through the game again.

Oh, also, I wonder if there's something new with high level familiars... I've platinumed Requiem recently, and I used a Sword, so I'm doing the same here.

If people found that out, what does the Grade upgrade on shards? I get that with, for example, battle spells it does more damage, as with familiars, but does it do anything with, say, shards that steal items, or give you a stat boost? The obvious example is Chair Summon, but as it's a joke shard, it might not do anything. However there are shards like that, where Rank is more or less clearly defined, but Grade seemingly does nothing.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 20, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Social Animal posted:

Not sure to be honest. The official twitter account seems to allude to the fact that this chest bug issue was with ps4 because it wasn't launched with 1.02. Where are you at currently on your save file? I think you should be fine.
I'm still fairly early on, I got the Hold shard before I stopped last night and then noticed it downloaded a big hunkin' 1.8GB patch afterwards. But if that has nothing to do with the 1->1.02 stuff then it's probably fine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Merilan posted:

it's been two days and i'm still finding new ways to get stuck, the magical feeling has still not faded!! i killed bloodless and drained the fountain but the underwater caverns just looped and i haven't found a soul to let me walk underwater so it's a bit ?? where i need to go next. the spike corridor i can't go through yet...

This one is a bit fucky imo. You need to get the random soul drop from the squid guys in the water (the ones who look like the monsters way back from the ship at the beginning) which will let you move through the water. The boss of the area will give you the soul that lets you actually walk underwater.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the DLC boss inserted somewhere in the castle or is it just something you pick from a menu?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Help, the upgraded Shovel Armor shard is too powerful and now I can't stop using it everywhere. It feels really silly too but it just machine guns projectiles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I'm stuck again. I just beat Alfred and got the shard that lets you run around underwater. I know the next thing I have to do is probably find something that will let me squeeze through tight spaces. But I think I've explored all of the underwater caverns + desert and whatever I need isn't there. Am I missing something?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

I think I'm stuck again. I just beat Alfred and got the shard that lets you run around underwater. I know the next thing I have to do is probably find something that will let me squeeze through tight spaces. But I think I've explored all of the underwater caverns + desert and whatever I need isn't there. Am I missing something?

Have you got the item from the area past the train?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hm no, I don't think I've been back to the train since getting through it the first time. Unless you mean the Reflector Ray, which I already have.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

exquisite tea posted:

Hm no, I don't think I've been back to the train since getting through it the first time. Unless you mean the Reflector Ray, which I already have.

... That's the thing that lets you squeeze through tight spaces.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought it would only work on the reflective panels. Don't I feel dumb!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so every 2 grades you get past the first one for the Dullahan head familiar adds another head. Still not sure if it's gonna be better than the Silver Knight, but it's definitely not bad.

Edit: Oh man, I'm not sure how long this holds up, but having 5 Dullahan heads murdering everything in sight is kinda nuts early on.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 20, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Silver Knight's clutch blocks are so great sometimes. He's my best bro. Got him up to 7/5 and he's actually outdamaging me in the lava caverns. In general I feel I've hit a damage/level wall and need to farm more levels, I'm up to level 32ish and the best weapons I can craft (other than blowing all of my money on a 16 bit coin) are all around 30-35 base damage. My spells vastly exceed anything my weapons can do, it's just even focusing on Int for regen there's just not enough mana even when being conservative with shotgunning enemies in the face with arrows (my most reliable stupid damage dealer, I think).

Was doing mostly okay with decent amounts of food usage (some of the basic ingredients are really annoying to farm/buy) up to now, but then the lava caves just pushed it to a whole new level and I think I Ned to go explore elsewhere to either level up or find other poo poo to do. Already found Gebel's room and explored that whole area until it loops back to the library. Maybe I Ned to go back toward the desert/explore the waterfall caverns...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So int is "casting speed" according to the augment shard. Is con hp and mind magic damage?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've been doing my first run mostly using squeaky shoes my stream viewers be damned.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

So int is "casting speed" according to the augment shard. Is con hp and mind magic damage?

I thought mnd mitigated magic damage taken. It's in the defensive stat zone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Downloaded finished overnight, and while I'm still in the opening area, this is...criminally good. If it turns out there's a version of Juste Belmont: Interior Decorator somewhere in this, it'll be everything I could ever want from a Castlevania type game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Downloaded finished overnight, and while I'm still in the opening area, this is...criminally good. If it turns out there's a version of Juste Belmont: Interior Decorator somewhere in this, it'll be everything I could ever want from a Castlevania type game.

I think we can pretty comfortably just call this a Castlevania game at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

I thought mnd mitigated magic damage taken. It's in the defensive stat zone.

:shrug:

I assume strength increases physical attack damage so something should affect the magic damage right? I never really paid a lot of attention to the stats in CV beyond Number Go Up :v:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

JBP posted:

I think we can pretty comfortably just call this a Castlevania game at this point.

Some areas are basically identical in terms of placement to Symphony

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RBA Starblade posted:

Int increases damage, but shard RANKS generally do something different from the shard's main function (which is increased by GRADE ie more copies). So the Augment Int shard raises both damage and cast speed when upgraded. Augment Str does the same thing for attack speed.

IE: With more Grade the shard will raise your int more. With more ranks your int will stay the same but your cast speed will go up instead. The same applies to attack shards too: grade increases damage while ranks increase aoe or duration or something.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 20, 2019

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Int increases magic damage. The INT Augment shard gives int. Higher grade gives more int. Higher RANK gives whatever it says at the rank (in this case: faster casting). It doesn't mean int gives cast speed, it just means a higher ranked INT Augment gem helps you cast faster (i guess).

Additional note, the STR Augment gives faster attack, and str definitely doesn't give aspd

e;fb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it strikes me as kind of weird that they would spell out what additional ranks do right there in the shard description but not do the same for grade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks guys I didn't realize the shard actually did more than just adding a point to Int so I conflated the description for it for what the stat does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you lock yourself out of the bad ending? I'm just now hearing about it and I get the impression I might have progressed too far on accident;

I'm missing a boss after the blood vampire girl, I wound up getting blood absorb went "Oh right the fountain I wonder if that'll work" and backtracking to it. I assume the bad ending is back where she was or something?