Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
sounds a worse manager than he was a player, if that's possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

13 days until the return of Alan Pardew on a 10 year contract, John Carver on 15, and an announcement that the club is no longer for sale and off the market

The new owner's business partner, Mek-Hal Azhlai, looks familiar...

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
water wet

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11743720/manchester-united-fans-top-list-of-football-related-arrests-involving-racism

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Chelsea fans must be disappointed then

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nah, top 6 is what we expect.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Championship clubs Leeds and Millwall each had 15 supporters arrested, while Leicester had 14 and Chelsea 13.

Millwall you say?

https://twitter.com/georgiepiehead/status/1089971226196525058

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Do they get a trophy for that?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

[United voice] They aren’t racists they’re just made to look like racists.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1141399735997214722?s=21

I know it’s Sky, but interesting.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Wow, did not expect that.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
:wtc:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

i presume it's something to do with the licensing of the plane for commercial travel

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My first thought was a man in Yorkshire wielding an RPG launcher.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

i presume it's something to do with the licensing of the plane for commercial travel

Yeah the pilot didn't have a commercial license so suspect whoever organised the charter is the one who's been arrested

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Sandwolf posted:

I know it’s Sky, but interesting.

Off topic, but Sky are fairly reliable by British media standards.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1141619805335801857

Premier League deciding not to use VAR for GK position on PK.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Good

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
can't read the full article, but what happens when the ref makes a clear and obvious error in what is probably the most game changing situation?

if you're gonna use var, use var

kcer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 20, 2019

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really dumb not to use VAR on penalties. Keepers now know that they should be on the line, and if they break that rule it's their own fault. What is so difficult about that?

Looking forward to PL keepers loving up every penalty in Europe and for national teams.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is a situation where VAR can easily and objectively correct a game-changing decision, of course they’ve chickened out of it

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vegetable posted:

This is a situation where VAR can easily and objectively correct a game-changing decision, of course they’ve chickened out of it

Yeah, don't want to make it more difficult to fix a match by being able to objectively correct a decision.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
it's not even a situation where there's a lot of interpretation, it's a quick whisper in ref's ear to say he was off his line and it needs to be retaken

it's all of 5 seconds, or should be anyway

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

var sucks and this is why

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
VAR dramatically changed how the world cup was played in that everyone was diving every chance they got in the hopes var would give them a soft call. The goals per game increased but the goals from open play decreased.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

var sucks and this is why

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like how VAR has worked in the u21s Euros, barring one harsh handball decision and linesmen being a bit lazy with offside flags when encouraged to let marginal calls go.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bit of a wider discussion, but with VAR coming in, they should change the offside rule back to clear daylight between the attacker and last defender. Having any part of your body infront is dumb e.g if Lindgard had like one size smaller shoes, he would have been onside and England would have beaten Holland

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Bit of a wider discussion, but with VAR coming in, they should change the offside rule back to clear daylight between the attacker and last defender. Having any part of your body infront is dumb e.g if Lindgard had like one size smaller shoes, he would have been onside and England would have beaten Holland

This is a bad take

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Offside is offside, don’t be silly.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Offside is offside, don’t be silly.

A striker having their toe in front of the last defender is not an advantage..

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CyberPingu posted:

A striker having their toe in front of the last defender is not an advantage..

He won't mind standing back a bit, then.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CyberPingu posted:

Nah

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Mmm yes "clear daylight" would certainly not be hard to legislate for at all

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CyberPingu posted:

yeah, nah

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Why?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Because it’s stupid as gently caress? The striker is leaned way over but there is a sliver of daylight between their torsos so it’s allowed? Where does the “clear daylight” have to be in relation to their bodies? What is “clear daylight”?

It’s so much easier to make it an either or decision, you’re either behind or in line of the defending player, or you’re ahead and offside.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

You'll have the same issue as before where nothing is clearly defined.

sassassin posted:

This is really why. If you want to be absolutely sure then take half a step back.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

sassassin posted:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
one of the weird things about VAR and offside is it seems like the angle of the camera relative to attacker and defender can change the perspective quite a bit and thus change what looks offside and what doesn't. you see the same thing with the positioning of outfield cameras in baseball stadiums.

i really noticed this on some meaningless play during the first leg of liverpool/barca...it was an offside call deep in the attacking area, and it was the bernabeu, so the camera was probably quite a bit further away from the pitch than in smaller stadiums. i feel like the linesman got the call right, but it looked weird nonetheless when it was on replay.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

bewbies posted:

one of the weird things about VAR and offside is it seems like the angle of the camera relative to attacker and defender can change the perspective quite a bit and thus change what looks offside and what doesn't. you see the same thing with the positioning of outfield cameras in baseball stadiums.

i really noticed this on some meaningless play during the first leg of liverpool/barca...it was an offside call deep in the attacking area, and it was the bernabeu, so the camera was probably quite a bit further away from the pitch than in smaller stadiums. i feel like the linesman got the call right, but it looked weird nonetheless when it was on replay.

I don't think the footage the VAR refs see are the same ones we see on tv.