Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

I think this is likely the reason.

I really hope this whole goalkeeper line thing gets re-thought before another major international tournament. It's incredibly short sighted to start enforcing this in this big of a tournament.

You may see a keeper adapt to the rule in this same tournament- i.e. something similar to what Shrapnig said about starting a foot behind the line prior, thereby staying kosher.....then everyone will get with the new dance move. Growing pains is what I'm getting at. It's always uncomfortable, and yeas the timing is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mr. Mambold posted:

You may see a keeper adapt to the rule in this same tournament- i.e. something similar to what Shrapnig said about starting a foot behind the line prior, thereby staying kosher.....then everyone will get with the new dance move. Growing pains is what I'm getting at. It's always uncomfortable, and yeas the timing is atrocious.

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with enforcing this. It's a rule, adapt, but to do it on this stage is insane.

I think I asked this before, but do any women's pro leagues use VAR? I know that the cost of implementing it was always an issue in lower league men's football, and it effectively prevents leagues with less money from using it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

I don’t think you can start behind the line though either. The actual law says

quote:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until after the ball has been kicked.

It’s all so dumb and poorly thought through

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with enforcing this. It's a rule, adapt, but to do it on this stage is insane.

I think I asked this before, but do any women's pro leagues use VAR? I know that the cost of implementing it was always an issue in lower league men's football, and it effectively prevents leagues with less money from using it.

I thought I had heard them mention no league used VAR in the women's game earlier in the tournament, but havent heard it since.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

idiots posted:

The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until after the ball has been kicked.

They should definitely eliminate that pause/stutterstep then that's so en vogue. Make that an automatic foul, no retakes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Make any run-up sufficiently similar to one neymar has previously attempted an immediate red card

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

For calls like offside the "goal line" extends to infinity though so a defender can't just run off the pitch to put an attacker in an offside position.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm beginning to make peace with it. Scotland have a few younger players who will make it to the next world cup (hopefully) and they'll be a better team overall, even if Little can't make it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Gigi Galli posted:

NWSL definitely doesn't, partly because not every team plays in a venue that could support it. Sky Blue's cameras are garbage and if it's raining even a little, you can barely see poo poo on the stream. No way you try and have a functional VAR system off of that.

I think it's been said that this is the first time VAR's ever been used in women's games, though, yeah.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HOT HOT THIRD MINUTE VAR ACTION

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

As someone who checks the thread more than watches the games, this thread isn’t giving me much incentive to watch any more than I have. Seems like VAR is pretty frustrating.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

What if just the keeper's toes are on the goal line, with most of his feet behind the line?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

colachute posted:

As someone who checks the thread more than watches the games, this thread isn’t giving me much incentive to watch any more than I have. Seems like VAR is pretty frustrating.
Eh the games are fine. It's just that FIFA is pushing the use of new replay review technology that hasn't been fully fleshed out, and they're combining it with emphasis on enforcement of certain rules, and it's causing issues. In some cases, major issues.

Brony Car posted:

What if just the keeper's toes are on the goal line, with most of his feet behind the line?
what if you change into clown shoes before the penalty and use the extra length to keep your heels just on the line

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

what if you change into clown shoes before the penalty and use the extra length to keep your heels just on the line

You would be technically compliant, which is the best kind of compliant.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not normally an England fan but they seem to like their goofy coach, I can appreciate that, might root for them

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

HUP HOLLAND HUP

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
That looked like a tasty pair of goals, excellent Cameroon goal and Netherlands header into the net.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Sinclair is bordering on actively harming Canada's chances, at this point

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Well that was a positive VAR experience for Cameroom because it hits her shoulder, so stfu Fox color blabber

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

gtkor posted:

You were saying?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

gtkor posted:

owned

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

You were saying?

absolute howler of a goal that :stare:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Gigi Galli posted:

I think this is likely the reason.

I really hope this whole goalkeeper line thing gets re-thought before another major international tournament. It's incredibly short sighted to start enforcing this in this big of a tournament.

Really, it should have been done in qualifying but I'm betting part of the issue was having VAR set up in the stadiums across the world. It's still ridiculous, though. The keeper off the line rule is loving insane as defined by the rules, and it's already hard enough to save a pen.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I'll never recover

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ahahaha what a bunch of silly play in NZ goal

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The good news for New Zealand is they won’t be the first losers in the anglosphere

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

colachute posted:

The Scotland/Argentina game was otherwise loving great. And VAR properly called the pen that would otherwise have gone uncalled. If only they'd get the keeper's line straightened out and the refs hadn't ignored all the stoppage time that game was supposed to have, people wouldn't be complaining nearly as much.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Zoran posted:

The good news for New Zealand is they won’t be the first losers in the anglosphere

I'm still sad for Scotland :smith:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dual Monarchy posted:

I'm still sad for Scotland :smith:

*Scottish team all go home and look to at least score enough heroin*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Where's the VAR to give us that very obvious corner dammit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What’s the tiebreaker after total goals scored? If the Cameroon/New Zealand result holds and Chile beat Thailand by at least four, Nigeria and Cameroon will be tied for the sixth third-place spot on points, GD, and total goals.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Weedle posted:

What’s the tiebreaker after total goals scored? If the Cameroon/New Zealand result holds and Chile beat Thailand by at least four, Nigeria and Cameroon will be tied for the sixth third-place spot on points, GD, and total goals.

Fair play points

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Weedle posted:

With no games between the teams concerned, I think it’s down to fair play points

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hell yes Beerensteyn, you go girl

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Really well put-together goal, and Labbé has strong "For gently caress's sake, lasses." game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Really well put-together goal, and Labbé has strong "For gently caress's sake, lasses." fame.
Yeah well maybe Labbe shouldn't have let that cross go right under her arms when she dove for it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Yeah, that was surprisingly weak goalkeeping

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

Hell yes Beerensteyn, you go girl

Canada made the mistake of thinking they had to mark Berenstain.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

New Zealand has still not scored, yet are tied 1-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Hell yeah own goal