Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Man, if we get an early spring, i might actually get poo poo done this summer

i won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Man, if we get an early spring, i might actually get poo poo done this summer

i won't

Same.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What a difference a week makes. Roads bare and dry, albeit sand and pebbles in some intersections and some wet where snow was piled.

gently caress it. Time to do an oil change and wake it up :woop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hell yeah man, seat and I got our Acura out of the snow bank today, I drove it into town, no problems so far.

I hope your porch faired winter well.

Also sorry I missed you when you came to Calgary, had conflicting schedules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good stuff! Dare I say spring might finally be here!

Did the oil, no Exxon Valdez in the garage and it fired right up. Let it warm up on the stands while I checked for leaks and bumped the tires back up. Drove it and was immediately overcome by the sound of the RE71s picking up and throwing every bit of sand/pebble they were going over.

Was too bad we missed you a couple weeks back. It was a good time.. or at least I did since I didn't have to drive LOL. Enjoyed meeting everyone.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bad day at work. Had to go to Zama City. Brought along the cat since I didnt want to leave him alone for a bunch of days.

Used roughly 1000L of fuel for the trip. After a lovely sleep I got into location to load 40tons of crude. First my pump froze because I left some fresh water in it overnight (only -10) so I had to get a plant operator to find a kerosene heater, making me look like an amateur.

Ok so I get thawed out and loaded. Only 4 hours behind. Then as I'm rolling up hoses with pump suction on, I get the last section rolled, close the main load valve, turn off the pump and whoosh. Get covered in crude and spray it across the ground.

So I either clean it up with a shovel or they call a vac truck in from high level at $225 per hour. Finally get cleaned up as best as I can, smelling like earth's anal discharge, and now the goat trail road has thawed and I'm weighing in at 145,000lbs. So I chain up and then have a very sketchy 68km drive out to pavement at zama. Then a 9 hour trip back to laglace to unload. Started at Friday 1pm, finished Sunday 1pm. A 20 hour trip ended up being 36 hours. Now I have to go clean crude off the equipment and head back up.

I guess there's 2 ways to get rich,

1 be smart and doing really profitable things

2 be an idiot like me and just keep bashing your head into the bank vault until it opens.

Also holy gently caress... zama city, every structure is on a skid or on piles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Bad day at work. Had to go to Zama City.

Kinda redundant.

Did you drive back to high level smelling like crude or take your chances reviving some long-dead diseases from Zama's lovely historic rig camps?

My first job after break-up the one year was hauling firefighting equipment up there along side a bed truck that kept breaking down. It was a pretty wild couple of days.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah I drove straight back, unloaded and slept at home. Place makes red earth look like Cancun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well its spring now. First bugs on the windshield and first flattened gophers on the road.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We had snow yesterday. Just as things were drying up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Haha, well that sucks. I fired up my irrigation on Friday. I am assuming night pushing -8 or colder are done now.

Or at least.. I hope! :buddy:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

advance polls are open.

voooooooooote

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, that was a surprise.

Not.

Prepare for fun times with Ottawa.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sorry y'all voted in the homophobic sack of poo poo :(

At least he and Ford can chum together and gently caress us with nice group photos of their lovely selves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, spring was okay, a little short. Summer just blasted by.

Kinda sucks to get hit by 30cm of snow on the first day of winter though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Well, spring was okay, a little short. Summer just blasted by.

Kinda sucks to get hit by 30cm of snow on the first day of winter though.

Any of it sticking up there? We're just slightly damp so far, not even a little slush accumulating.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Any of it sticking up there? We're just slightly damp so far, not even a little slush accumulating.

Yeah, it's kinda sticking.

supposed to be -10 with the heaviest tonight.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ok it ramped up a bit here

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It got pretty nasty here, and now it froze.

The snow was tremendously wet from the standpoint of water, and was blowing hard east, coating anything facing that way. People were driving around with their entire front ends or back ends coated in snow, and no headlights on, it was fantastic.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just got back from Australia to this poo poo. Power's been out for 13 hours, company is swamped so no chance of it being restored anytime soon. Ice loving everywhere, wind blew the bbq four metres across the deck.

At least I have a gas fireplace now to keep the house warm. Could be worse.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Any AB goons need a Fiesta ST? My brother is moving to Toronto and would rather not take it with him since it would make life significantly easier.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Albino Squirrel posted:

Car dealership question: I bought a car from one of the Mercedes dealerships here in Edmonton. Since they have limited stock of the GLCe (the plug-in), I have to get it special-ordered. They tell me it's gonna arrive sometime in November, but I get a reasonable deal on this. No problem, my wife's current truck is old but functional.
Long story short: The dealership forgot to order the car and didn't tell me about it until November. The build date wound up being January 11, and I finally got the car this week, 9 1/2 months after I ordered it. I asked for winter tires/rims as compensation for the fact that they didn't order the car until four months after I put money down, and they refused and counter-offered 3 years of maintenance and a Harry Singer gift card. I regret most of my actions over this period and would direct you to the wikipedia page for 'sunk cost fallacy' for further details.

The Mercedes GLCe, on the other hand, is goddamn fantastic. It's torquey and smooth and dead-silent when running on electricity, which it does in the city almost exclusively. Our current gas mileage is reading out at 0.25 l/100, which is... good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

That is some royal bullshit. Have you spoken to Mercedes corporate about it? Which dealership was it? South side or west end?

Congratulations on the new wheels though! That hybrid drivetrain is something else, that's for sure. Are you sure you didn't mistype a decimal place on that fuel economy figure? Because, uh :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just learned there's a budweiser museum in didsbury.

http://thebudbarn.com/

The website only makes me want to go 10 times more

It's literally just a barn in some dude's yard

am i going to get murdered?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 24, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey Jonathan, looks like you were one of the last people to see northern alberta before it all burned up.

gonna be a long fuckin summer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's just nature's way of telling us to stop living in three quarters of the province.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's just nature's way of telling us to stop living in three quarters of the province.

Basically north of Edmonton and south of Calgary (prairie fires) seem to spontaniously combust. Red Deer seems to be the safest place, even with the meth heads. Let's all move in to Powershifts' place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Red Deer seems to be the safest place, even with the meth heads. Let's all move in to Powershifts' place.

What about the tornadoes?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Basically north of Edmonton and south of Calgary (prairie fires) seem to spontaniously combust. Red Deer seems to be the safest place, even with the meth heads. Let's all move in to Powershifts' place.

The palliser triangle is gonna get renamed soon. I'm betting on "dimension of fire".

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
So remember that Mercedes I bought? Thing throws a check engine light on the weekend, still there after gassing up and ensuring the cap is tight. I take it in to the dealership, and they initially report the temperature sensor is acting up. During testing after they replace it, it turns out the electric water pump (which is part of how the hybrid part of the car is cooled) isn't working well, and they need to replace that. But the hybrid version of the water pump isn't readily available in Canada, so the ETA on the part is August 23rd.

I mean, it's under warranty and we have a loaner, but there's less than a thousand KM on the car. We went through 15 bucks of gas. My wife is not happy at all with the car, and I can't say I blame her. Does Alberta have lemon laws?

McTinkerson posted:

That is some royal bullshit. Have you spoken to Mercedes corporate about it? Which dealership was it? South side or west end?

Congratulations on the new wheels though! That hybrid drivetrain is something else, that's for sure. Are you sure you didn't mistype a decimal place on that fuel economy figure? Because, uh :stare:
South side dealership, and I haven't spoken to MB corporate about it because I'm just loving done with the whole thing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Canada has a lemon law, kind of, it's messier than the states. You'd have to go through an arbitration process with CAMVAP and present your case to an independent arbitrator, typically you'd need to demonstrate that there is an issue with your particular vehicle that the manufacturer tried to remedy but has been unable to do so. The arbitrators decision is binding.

We initiated the process after we had so many issues with the navigation in our Veloster, we went through like half a dozen head units, but surprise surprise that gave the dealer enough of a kick to actually try something different and when they replaced the antenna our problem went away so we withdrew the case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think your pain of buying the car is going to factor into a lemon law case either. Hopefully all will be well after this?

Did they give you a decent loaner at least?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

slidebite posted:

I don't think your pain of buying the car is going to factor into a lemon law case either. Hopefully all will be well after this?

Did they give you a decent loaner at least?
C class. Nice as far as cars built in third world countries* go. They say they'll try to get me into a GLC which is the same size as my car, but I'm not holding my breath.

*Alabama

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PowerShift,

Northern Alberta isn't burning up. It's loving snowing.

I'm so over insured for fire that Canada burning would be a great financial payoff. I am not insured for snow.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What do you expect from a company built on the ashes of well engineered gas chambers. GAS chambers... Not hybrid electric chambers.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

jonathan posted:

What do you expect from a company built on the ashes of well engineered gas chambers. GAS chambers... Not hybrid electric chambers.

Look, the CO2 emissions are fine, but that's a hard fail on the HCN tailpipe test.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sounds like the Caroline/sundre area is in store for 30-80mm of rain :stare:

Last time anything close to that happened was 2013.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah, rip.

Last time they replaced half the roads with right mats to keep fracs going. This time the roads will probably be abandoned.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Holy poo poo. We've had done pretty gnarly clouds and lots of lightening the last bit but shockingly little rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Albino Squirrel posted:

C class. Nice as far as cars built in third world countries* go. They say they'll try to get me into a GLC which is the same size as my car, but I'm not holding my breath.

*Alabama

On the upside, you’re putting miles on a car that isn’t yours for a while, right? Weird that the ETA for the pump is so far off, should be like 3-4 weeks max unless there aren’t any available world wide for some reason.