Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Start doing weirder and weirder retroclones until you’re explaining Mork Borg or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

theironjef posted:

I dunno, something else. It'll be nice to not think about D&D anymore.

Have you done the white cover OD&D? I can't remember. It's a really interesting read, though, from a historical perspective.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
What was being referred to was a time when Paizo was running a cross-promotion with Kingdom Death. Since Jessica Price was basically the main point of contact a number of people had with Paizo, people went to her going "wtf". She flipped out on them-- how dare they come to her about this, etc, this was a few years ago, I don't remember what all exactly she was saying. IIRC she was loosely implying that if she tried to rock the boat on this she'd be endangering her job; I kind of doubted that angle at the time since she'd previously gone to bat for the game the last time the subject had come up (though I don't actually doubt that if she'd made a thing of it she would have caught massive poo poo, especially knowing what we know now about Paizo). All that said it is definitely an incident that soured a number of people on her personally. I don't much like her myself, because I was there for this!

However, bringing it up out of basically nowhere out of context is massively disingenuous; none of the above invalidates that she's absolutely gotten a raw deal, both in tabletop and out, and she's brought a number of issues to light that would have continued to just be the usual missing stair bullshit. So yeah. That particular incident is in no way relevant to anything other than a small group of people as anything other than perhaps a canary in the coal mine that is Paizo itself.

Also, taking that as proof that she was somehow lying about not seeing her firing coming is absolute nonsense-- you can absolutely know that if you were to do something it would have negative consequences while at the same time not seeing other negative consequences coming. Like that's fuckin flimsy, man.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xiahou Dun posted:

I will also happily buy you a copy of The Spire.

More people should be buying, talking about, and playing Spire.

Strata posted:

A Black Guard sergeant removes their helm to show that, under their iridescent black armour, their skin is crawling with beetles bearing carapaces of the same colour. Rumour has it that the armour itself is just several huge beetles trained to sit very still.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can confirm Spire is a real good game for playing a holy agent of terrifying (but loving) spider peace.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hostile V posted:

Pathfinder: :getin:

(just do whatever, this has been an excellent run for you all)
This, unironically, I live for your frothing rage at poo poo game design.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

Unless you really get into the weeds, I feel like PF is too similar to 3.5 to be an interesting new subject.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

do all the bullshit ways to die in old modules like Palace of the Silver Princess (levels 1~3) where a snake hiding in some towels can blind you permanently or kill you.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

I dunno, something else. It'll be nice to not think about D&D anymore.

You could go on with making every 25th episode some kind of “Best Worst of D&D” feature where you make fun of poo poo like old racist FR supplements, all those weird setting-specific Monstrous Compendium add-ons for 2E, dumb bullshit in classic 1E modules, etc.

If it’s not enough to fill an entire episode with, do 2-3 at a time like you did in that old episode where you talked about sourcebooks for Haven and that terrible Star Fleet game.

You obviously wouldn’t need to make characters afterwards, so the
bonus content should just be 30 minutes of you reading choice parts of the 1E DMG in various character voices.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you should talk about things that you like.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

dwarf74 posted:

In that case, Dangerous Journeys:Mythus. Gary Gygax's very own Fantasy Heartbreaker is sufficiently D&D adjacent, and so very, very poorly designed.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Can confirm Spire is a real good game for playing a holy agent of terrifying (but loving) spider peace.

Obligatory plug for my F&F review of it. Really need to get my arse in gear to go through Strata, and probably the rest of Black Magic past the classes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Thranguy posted:

In that case, Dangerous Journeys:Mythus. Gary Gygax's very own Fantasy Heartbreaker is sufficiently D&D adjacent, and so very, very poorly designed.
Gygax wrote two fantasy heartbreakers (the other was Lejendary Adventures). Both would make excellent subjects for SM.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My #175 pitch for the pile (though most of the ideas people have pitched are also good): just do D&D 6th Edition. No, it won't have come out by then - the episode is just the two of you improvising a review of a fake edition of the game, like with the Duckman RPG, along with improvising the tale of the 5E->6E edition wars and making up fake controversies surrounding its publication. (You know, like Zak S. making GBS threads his pants at Chik-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con 2017, only fake.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd love to hear a review of how 6th edition actually got things right, even if you just do it as an April Fool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Thranguy posted:

oh god that's a great one.

I am also voting for my personal favorite, Avalon Hill's spreadsheet masterpiece, Powers & Perils. (It genuinely has some compelling weirdness to it, for what it's worth, and the system once you get past chargen seems decently workable.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The more I dive into Sparked by the Resistance, the more I incorporate everything about Blades in the Dark.

Spire's world is cooler, but more importantly, the core mechanic is just so much loving better.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

CitizenKeen posted:

The more I dive into Sparked by the Resistance, the more I incorporate everything about Blades in the Dark.

Spire's world is cooler, but more importantly, the core mechanic is just so much loving better.

Are there any good Sparked games out yet?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Facade gets spoken of highly, but the demo is a different game entirely, and I haven't bought the full version, so I can't speak to it personally.

Ascendancy is really good as incomplete Google Docs games go.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

oh god that's a great one.

I am also voting for my personal favorite, Avalon Hill's spreadsheet masterpiece, Powers & Perils. (It genuinely has some compelling weirdness to it, for what it's worth, and the system once you get past chargen seems decently workable.)
P&P is a perfect example of why games need developers. I'm sure the whole thing made perfect sense to the designer, but its a completely baffling nonsense mess to anyone who isn't him. It's a real heartbreaker - it's clear he had a vision for what he wanted (and it wasn't just "AD&D plus a decade of my group's house rules"), and he put a lot of work and effort into it, it's just incredibly badly communicated.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
175? GURPS maybe?

I like the Spire setting but can’t see it being much of a system mastery episode when there’s not much to complain about. Unless they’re going to lawyer the setting which is a good way to get hated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

P&P is a perfect example of why games need developers. I'm sure the whole thing made perfect sense to the designer, but its a completely baffling nonsense mess to anyone who isn't him. It's a real heartbreaker - it's clear he had a vision for what he wanted (and it wasn't just "AD&D plus a decade of my group's house rules"), and he put a lot of work and effort into it, it's just incredibly badly communicated.
Oh I spent many, many hours figuring out how it works, and I uh ... kinda? do. I did a character generation thing for F&F for it, and it made me like the system more, not less.

I got it at a Toys R Us back in the 80's and it is the game I've been fascinated with the longest, that I have still never played.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LazyAngel posted:

Obligatory plug for my F&F review of it. Really need to get my arse in gear to go through Strata, and probably the rest of Black Magic past the classes.

Strata is good so far. The two new classes are cool as hell and the setting stuff is full of groovy weirdness. Now I just need to get through the adventures, pick a couple I want to run and start recruiting.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The real question I have about Zak S making GBS threads his pants at Chik-fil-a on the last day of GenCon '17 isn't whether or not he actually poo poo his pants, but rather how and why he was IN a Chik-Fil-A on the last day of GenCon '17 which was a Sunday and thus a day when Chik-Fil-A is always closed by corporate mandate?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

Early Chivalry & Sorcery is like that - 2nd edition is very clearly tuned up as a result of feedback from actual play, and in addition does a (somewhat) better job of communicating how the game was expected to be played to begin with, whereas 1st edition is very clearly a product of Backhaus and Simbalist's very idiosyncratic interpretation of how fantasy campaigns worked which didn't necessarily reflect general practice at the time (or now).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I assume he was trying to get in (to use the bathroom) but was too stupid to know they're closed and then diarrhea just happened.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

The real question I have about Zak S making GBS threads his pants at Chik-fil-a on the last day of GenCon '17 isn't whether or not he actually poo poo his pants, but rather how and why he was IN a Chik-Fil-A on the last day of GenCon '17 which was a Sunday and thus a day when Chik-Fil-A is always closed by corporate mandate?
When they heard about all the hard work he's done on behalf of people who think women should live in terror and slavery, they opened just for him.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Did he poo poo his pants in Chik-fil-a, which would imply he got inside the store somehow (perhaps partaking in a secret "chicken lock-in" party and stuffing himself with chicken direct from the fryer), or merely at Chik-fil-a, which would imply he was just in the general vicinity (perhaps desperately pounding on the door demanding that they let him use the bathroom).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Halloween Jack posted:

When they heard about all the hard work he's done on behalf of people who think women should live in terror and slavery, they opened just for him.

:perfect:

Warthur posted:

Did he poo poo his pants in Chik-fil-a, which would imply he got inside the store somehow (perhaps partaking in a secret "chicken lock-in" party and stuffing himself with chicken direct from the fryer), or merely at Chik-fil-a, which would imply he was just in the general vicinity (perhaps desperately pounding on the door demanding that they let him use the bathroom).

I'm not exactly sure of the context of the pants making GBS threads which happened to Zak S on the last day of GenCon '17 but I do wish to know more of these secret chicken lock-ins.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm not exactly sure of the context of the pants making GBS threads which happened to Zak S on the last day of GenCon '17 but I do wish to know more of these secret chicken lock-ins.
I mean, it's like a pub lock-in, except after drinking alcohol well past trading hours are done you eat chicken...

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Warthur posted:

I mean, it's like a pub lock-in, except after drinking alcohol well past trading hours are done you eat chicken...

Oh, I got that, I just want to know how to get INTO one of these magical events. You got an in?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

yo I stopped following this thread for a bit and I just now noticed the title change
did zak s really poo poo himself
please say yes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

paradoxGentleman posted:

yo I stopped following this thread for a bit and I just now noticed the title change
did zak s really poo poo himself
please say yes
So far, there hasn't been any proof offered that he didn't poo poo himself.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zak S has not signed an affidavit swearing under penalty of perjury that he did not poo poo his pants on the last day of GenCon '17.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nobody has come forward with a scripted display of solidarity to vouch for him, either.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Warthur posted:

Early Chivalry & Sorcery is like that - 2nd edition is very clearly tuned up as a result of feedback from actual play, and in addition does a (somewhat) better job of communicating how the game was expected to be played to begin with, whereas 1st edition is very clearly a product of Backhaus and Simbalist's very idiosyncratic interpretation of how fantasy campaigns worked which didn't necessarily reflect general practice at the time (or now).

A whole lot of C&S makes a lot more sense when read in the context of OD&D too. Every little detail is an adaption, "fix", or addition to OD&D.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
a System Mastery on just the 4th Ed Essentials would be hilarious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LatwPIAT posted:

A whole lot of C&S makes a lot more sense when read in the context of OD&D too. Every little detail is an adaption, "fix", or addition to OD&D.
Rolemaster, too.

C&S is interesting because it has many of the signs of a fantasy heartbreaker, but it also has a clear vision of what it wants to be, namely an SCA-specific version of D&D, with a more detailed and "realistic" combat system (based on experience in SCA melees and bouts) and a more specific and accurate Medieval European setting of the sort familiar to SCA members (instead of D&D's lightly implied mishmash of Vance and Lieber and Moorcock and Howard and Tolkien and etc)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mechayahiko posted:

a System Mastery on just the 4th Ed Essentials would be hilarious.

"Welcome to 5 different wizard classes and their hangers on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Elementalist was a good beta-test for 5e’s Eldritch Blast.