Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

there's like only three dungeons in skyrim that actually take an hour to clear and they all generally have unique loot rewards

No, but see, Skyrim is garbage and everything about it is garbage, and Morrowind was perfect in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

No, but see, Skyrim is garbage and everything about it is garbage, and Morrowind was perfect in every way.

This, but in a deeper, higher T voice.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fuckin' Vvardaboos making GBS threads up the Skyrim thread.

Anyhow, speaking of bad dungeons, skip out on the Forgotten Dungeons mod. It adds a bunch of dungeons, but if they're anything like the one I tried on my last playthrough, they're a lot like the DooM levels I put out when I was 14. OH BOY, another square combat area! Oh, hey, 5 urns with the exact same rotation so they look identical! Yay! Oh hey, we can tell exactly where the designer realized he hadn't used a trap in a while! And we can also tell where he figured out how to use oil traps.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 20, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Fuckin' Vvardaboos making GBS threads up the Skyrim thread.

Anyhow, speaking of bad dungeons, skip out on the [url=]Forgotten Dungeons[/url] mod. It adds a bunch of dungeons, but if they're anything like the one I tried on my last playthrough, they're a lot like the DooM levels I put out when I was 14. OH BOY, another square combat area! Oh, hey, 5 urns with the exact same rotation so they look identical! Yay! Oh hey, we can tell exactly where the designer realized he hadn't used a trap in a while! And we can also tell where he figured out how to use oil traps.

I was being sarcastic. I actually think Morrowind has aged pretty badly, and that a lot of people have some serious rose tinted glasses for it. :ssh:

As for dungeons, do you have any mods for them that you particularly like? I've tried out a few, but it's been a while and I forget what they were, but most were pretty enh. I was trying to find more puzzle based ones, but everything I tried was either Babby's First Puzzle or obtuse moon logic.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

(I was being sarcastic too, although I actually really like Morrowind too, I just think that it's a fundamentally different type of game than Skyrim, not necessarily better.)

The best Dungeon's I've found in mods weren't in mods focused on adding more dungeons, unfortunately. Off the top of my head, Dwemertech, SPectraverse, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy*, Lost Wonders of Mzark*, Clockwork, The Wheels of Lull, and Blackreach Railroad all added some pretty neat areas.

* Im working on converting these two to SE! If you'd like to help me beta test them, grab them here!

Edit: The Spellmaking in Skyrim mod for Oldrim, of all things, had some pretty kickin' dungeons and area designs, unfortunately, not only has it never been ported to SE (to my knowledge), as soon as it was posted the author disappeared and it's not even compatible with any Perk Overhauls, AFAIK, cause it's written in such a way as I couldn't even figure out how to make a patch.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 20, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for the recs. I'll give them a try when I start my next playthrough here soon.

I totally wish I could give you an assist beta testing, as well, but I'm pretty sure my PC would burst into flames if I tried running SE.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh and Aethernautics is pretty loving rad too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was being sarcastic. I actually think Morrowind has aged pretty badly, and that a lot of people have some serious rose tinted glasses for it. :ssh:

As for dungeons, do you have any mods for them that you particularly like? I've tried out a few, but it's been a while and I forget what they were, but most were pretty enh. I was trying to find more puzzle based ones, but everything I tried was either Babby's First Puzzle or obtuse moon logic.

What about those of us who still actively play Morrowind. It’s mechanics were always janky, but I far prefer Morrowind to Oblivion/Skyrim. Not just the narrative or world building either, I actually prefer the gameplay.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I was actually in the middle of a morrowind playthrough when my old HD died. Morrowind and Skyrim are objectively different experiences. I always have to go in prepared for morrowind, while I can just pick up and play Skyrim.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Average Bear posted:

Morrowloot is great but what you're seeing is someone trying to polish a turd. You would have to completely redesign skyrim from the ground up to have dungeons feel rewarding like morrowind. It wants to reward you for exploring but no amount of unique loot can make up for the fact you're in a dungeon in skyrim and you just want it to loving be over already.

I like skyrim dungeons, in that mild skyrim kind of way. Each one has some kind of interesting gimmick, like there's an ice one on the coast where little lights attach themselves to you as you go through it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agents are GO! posted:

(I was being sarcastic too, although I actually really like Morrowind too, I just think that it's a fundamentally different type of game than Skyrim, not necessarily better.)

The best Dungeon's I've found in mods weren't in mods focused on adding more dungeons, unfortunately. Off the top of my head, Dwemertech, SPectraverse, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy*, Lost Wonders of Mzark*, Clockwork, The Wheels of Lull, and Blackreach Railroad all added some pretty neat areas.

* Im working on converting these two to SE! If you'd like to help me beta test them, grab them here!

Edit: The Spellmaking in Skyrim mod for Oldrim, of all things, had some pretty kickin' dungeons and area designs, unfortunately, not only has it never been ported to SE (to my knowledge), as soon as it was posted the author disappeared and it's not even compatible with any Perk Overhauls, AFAIK, cause it's written in such a way as I couldn't even figure out how to make a patch.
So I am not sure if it was Brhuce that hosed up all my AFT party members or if it was being on a Companions quest or both, but something hosed up two of them pretty bad. Just a data point for you - I got it resolved so no worries.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm using AFT with Brhuce. I need a little more description than "hosed them up."

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Wintersun -> Mehrunes Dagon worship -> Khajiit vampire -> explosions everywhere.

And if you have summermyst and claws armor. Things automatically die around you just by being present. Everything is on fire and exploding 24/7.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm using AFT with Brhuce. I need a little more description than "hosed them up."
Sure :)

I am hoping it was unrelated to Brhuce, and this was just a coincidence.

I had 3 followers (in order to cope with the aforementioned insane Morrowloot difficulty level) and headed on that Companions quest with Farkas. I told my dudes to wait at the entrance just in case they bugged the quest with their presence. I stopped playing for the night, installed Brhuce the next afternoon. Near the end stuff was going majorly to poo poo, so I summoned my dudes to me with the AFT command spell, and only 1 of them actually showed up. I couldn't find the rest.

I uninstalled Brhuce, reloaded, and summoned them again. This time all three showed up, but two were in their "heading home" process despite their dialogue still being companion-ish. I could not command them to follow me, etc. - they were just leaving, while still dialoguing like companions. I used the Reset AFT Tweaks on them, and asked them to re-join me and it worked.

It's entirely possible this is a bug involving (1) AFT itself, (2) AFT's interaction with Farkas being a pseudo-companion for this quest, or (3) some combination of the above.

I am hoping it's not Brhuce because I really want to give him a spin :)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Coming back to replay Skyrim again, are there any good mods in the past year to check out? And visual stuff as well?

I was gonna do Ordinator to start off unless there's some new perk hotness.

And Legacy of the Dragonborn cause I never got around to that.

Sylink posted:

Wintersun -> Mehrunes Dagon worship -> Khajiit vampire -> explosions everywhere.

And if you have summermyst and claws armor. Things automatically die around you just by being present. Everything is on fire and exploding 24/7.

What mod does this? Like Mehrunes Dagon worship being a thing?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Wintersun is the mod, one of Enai's, the guy who made Ordinator, bunch of others you should probably use.

I guess I'm saying doing a running power one-handed attack which spellscribes a fireball into the target, who dies instantly, which triggers a larger fireball, that kills the other dudes around you, setting off more fireballs, is a good time.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 20, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I really like Skyrim Underground, though it's not what I'd call puzzle-based.

But if you want to wander around in a series of monster-filled tunnels and chambers that span all of Skyrim, it's definitely the mod for you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sylink posted:

Wintersun is the mod, one of Enai's, the guy who made Ordinator, bunch of others you should probably use.

I guess I'm saying doing a running power one-handed attack which spellscribes a fireball into the target, who dies instantly, which triggers a larger fireball, that kills the other dudes around you, setting off more fireballs, is a good time.

Cheers. That didn't exist last I played.

Also an aside, is the Unofficial Patch still basically needed? And if so does it have any dumb Arthmoor poo poo I need to patch out?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Unofficial patch is needed. Only dumb arthmoor stuff I can think of is the voiced lines for the first dragon are put back in and they're awful. However it's just one line of "Dovahkiin!? Noooo"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

A Sometimes Food posted:

Cheers. That didn't exist last I played.

Also an aside, is the Unofficial Patch still basically needed? And if so does it have any dumb Arthmoor poo poo I need to patch out?
Use the unofficial patch, definitely. Arthmoor is a tool, but also a useful tool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having recently done that tower/dragon quest with Arthmoor's dumb dragon voice, I didn't think that scene was nearly as bad as it was made out to be. It's super quick and the VA isn't as bad as folks make it out to be. I mean it's definitely not good. But the idea that someone would take the time to mod that out says more to me about that particular modder than any of the goofy poo poo Arthmoor gets up to.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chaosapiant posted:

But the idea that someone would take the time to mod that out says more to me about that particular modder than any of the goofy poo poo Arthmoor gets up to.

Snipping an objectively bad voice acting line out is not really on the same level of an Oblivion Gate Campaign though and I worry you might be showing symptoms of 'truth is somewhere in the middleitus'

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Coming back to replay Skyrim again, are there any good mods in the past year to check out? And visual stuff as well?

I was gonna do Ordinator to start off unless there's some new perk hotness.

And Legacy of the Dragonborn cause I never got around to that.

What mod does this? Like Mehrunes Dagon worship being a thing?

Enai also has a new perk overhaul out, called Vokrii, I'm using it on my current playthrough but I'm only level 6.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man the choice paralysis is real with the Wintersun gods.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agents are GO! posted:

Enai also has a new perk overhaul out, called Vokrii, I'm using it on my current playthrough but I'm only level 6.

Is Vokrii a replacement for Ordinator, a side grade, or to be used in conjunction? I like his mods. His mods make my Skyrim feel better about itself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

Is Vokrii a replacement for Ordinator, a side grade, or to be used in conjunction? I like his mods. His mods make my Skyrim feel better about itself.

It's a replacement, a much more low key overhaul of the perk system that's supposed to resemble vanilla more closely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Man the choice paralysis is real with the Wintersun gods.

I love the irony in the Redguard choices that the core tennant of Satakal's worship is to kill Alduin... who is the Nord aspect of Satakal.

Whoops.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the irony in the Redguard choices that the core tennant of Satakal's worship is to kill Alduin... who is the Nord aspect of Satakal.

Whoops.

I mean could be a mistake. But also totally seems like fitting Elder Scrolls god behaviour.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

It's a replacement, a much more low key overhaul of the perk system that's supposed to resemble vanilla more closely.

Ok, I actually prefer Ordinator then, as it does more "cool poo poo" than vanilla. I assume Mr ModMan will then be supporting both mods, me hope?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

chaosapiant posted:

Ok, I actually prefer Ordinator then, as it does more "cool poo poo" than vanilla. I assume Mr ModMan will then be supporting both mods, me hope?

Looking over the mods he's uploaded, it looks like there are low-key and overhaul versions of mods for a lot of different systems. I'd assume their intent is support both - sort of a "pick how nuts you want to go with my mods" choice.

For what it's worth, I installed all of their major overhaul mods, and love how dramatically it's changed Skyrim. After getting the itch to play "Skyrim" after 3 years all of Enai's major overhauls along with TKDodge and TKHitstop have made it feel like an actual fun action RPG!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I wanted to play as a bare handed Khajiit, is that better supported in perks by Ordinator or SPERG, and are there other mods general mods for punching (or technically scratching) playthroughs?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 21, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

If I wanted to play as a bare handed Khajiit, is that better supported in perks by Ordinator or SPERG, and are there other mods general mods for punching (or technically scratching) playthroughs?
In Ordinator, unarmed is part of the Light Armor tree.

I think it's Pickpocket in SPERG.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

In Ordinator, unarmed is part of the Light Armor tree.

I think it's Pickpocket in SPERG.

Do you level either of those up by punching/scratching people?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You can, yes. Once you get a perk you will start leveling light armor by punching.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I always plan on a punchcat playthrough, but then once I start the lack of directional/moving power attacks annoys me and the fact that unarmed attacks are not silent. The first time I whiff a grab and alert everyone from Whiterun to Valenwood, I lose interest. I've looked for mods over the years but have not found anything for my specific issues.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Sure :)

I am hoping it was unrelated to Brhuce, and this was just a coincidence.

I had 3 followers (in order to cope with the aforementioned insane Morrowloot difficulty level) and headed on that Companions quest with Farkas. I told my dudes to wait at the entrance just in case they bugged the quest with their presence. I stopped playing for the night, installed Brhuce the next afternoon. Near the end stuff was going majorly to poo poo, so I summoned my dudes to me with the AFT command spell, and only 1 of them actually showed up. I couldn't find the rest.

I uninstalled Brhuce, reloaded, and summoned them again. This time all three showed up, but two were in their "heading home" process despite their dialogue still being companion-ish. I could not command them to follow me, etc. - they were just leaving, while still dialoguing like companions. I used the Reset AFT Tweaks on them, and asked them to re-join me and it worked.

It's entirely possible this is a bug involving (1) AFT itself, (2) AFT's interaction with Farkas being a pseudo-companion for this quest, or (3) some combination of the above.

I am hoping it's not Brhuce because I really want to give him a spin :)

I actually think this was Brhuce, sorry. For some reason, brhuce alters a vanilla hidden quest that governs all followers, which also happens to be the quest AFT packs a ton of new features in. You need to put Brhuce Hammar - Legacy.esp before AFT in your load order. This also means Brhuce's custom horse won't work. This weekend I'm going to take a swing at moving this functionality to its own quest, making the two more compatible.

I like to say that TrainWiz's reach exceeds his grasp, and this is what I mean. Great ideas, somewhat janky execution. Sometimes it seems like he does poo poo in the most loving obtuse ways under the hood.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually think this was Brhuce, sorry. For some reason, brhuce alters a vanilla hidden quest that governs all followers, which also happens to be the quest AFT packs a ton of new features in. You need to put Brhuce Hammar - Legacy.esp before AFT in your load order. This also means Brhuce's custom horse won't work. This weekend I'm going to take a swing at moving this functionality to its own quest, making the two more compatible.

I like to say that TrainWiz's reach exceeds his grasp, and this is what I mean. Great ideas, somewhat janky execution. Sometimes it seems like he does poo poo in the most loving obtuse ways under the hood.
Wow, well I am glad I helped out a bit by reporting it. That's some crazy stuff there.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For unarmed I recommend

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74327/

Unarmed Attack Variation and Blocking - Lets unarmed act more like a 2 handed weapon with alternating punches and the ability to block and bash. Works fine with SSE

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/25375

Magefist - Unarmed damage - Or any other mod that gives unarmed damage to the Ironflesh spells.

I recommend pairing with a cloak spell so you make your flesh harder than steel, set it on fire and then wade through your enemies.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have to say, the load time improvements in the CK granted by Creation Kit Fixes are amazing, it's actually gotten me to do a bunch more modding!

Edit: I've also converted a bunch of tiny poo poo to esl files, effectively making it so they don't take up space in my load order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I haven't played Skyrim since I beat it at launch what are the essential mods to get