Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

a privacy app place told me every time the federal government shuts down, all the names get purged from the do not call list (and equivalent opt outs). of course they may be fibbing to sell their service but... do check.

Nahh I just checked. This is the email they sent me. Edited of course

BIG GOVERNMENT posted:

Thank you for registering your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry. You successfully registered your phone number ending in XXXX on June 12, 2008. Most telemarketers will be required to stop calling you 31 days from your registration date.

Visit https://www.donotcall.gov to register another number or file a complaint against someone violating the Registry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, I'm not american. (Norway) But it might be a good tip for any americanos in the thread.

There's just 1 company that keeps sending me addressed spam, and I don't want to engage with them in any way honestly.
I am however expecting that number to steadily increase now that I've got my own company, because this means that a fuckload of companies suddenly have my address and will start sending me garbage.

(Having worked at a post office it's obscene how much garbage mail companies get addressed to them, hopefully they won't give a poo poo about mine.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SubNat posted:

Ah, I'm not american.

My condolences

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Let's take an official picture of this year's Porsche Cup competitors at the famous Nurburgring racetrack, and we'll get the iconic graffiti in the photo as well!

What, no, we don't have to run it past anyone who reads English first, why do you ask?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Memento posted:

Let's take an official picture of this year's Porsche Cup competitors at the famous Nurburgring racetrack, and we'll get the iconic graffiti in the photo as well!

What, no, we don't have to run it past anyone who reads English first, why do you ask?

I mean, the crudely drawn picture of, presumably, Sara is language independent...

But you know, that's completely armless so who cares.

:v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Another lesson in the "Don't let the internet name your product" category: Hi-Point offered up a new model of 9mm handgun for the naming. Then they collected the "most popular" ones for a final round of voting:

Except that the most popular one wasn't actually on the list and people objected.

Then when this was questioned they revealed some unfamiliarity with the term:

Even rival companies started ribbing them:

Hi-Point has compromised and named the model the YC-9.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did nobody suggest YCS/186?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe there wasn't a huge write-in vote for "Thoughts and Prayers"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They at least didn't put it unfiltered like Mountain Dew Hitler Did Nothing Wrong, or it almost certainly would have been something along those lines.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elfface posted:

They at least didn't put it unfiltered like Mountain Dew Hitler Did Nothing Wrong, or it almost certainly would have been something along those lines.

That reminds me: Boaty McBoatface is back in the news:

https://www.businessinsider.com/boaty-mcboatface-climate-change-discovery-maiden-voyage-2019-6

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/lay_fay17/status/1136807792508059654?s=21

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I witnessed my friend yesterday try to get out of a meet up with old co-workers who wanted to get dinner at Applebee's by pretending he'd never heard of the place.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Detective No. 27 posted:

I witnessed my friend yesterday try to get out of a meet up with old co-workers who wanted to get dinner at Applebee's by pretending he'd never heard of the place.

I saw this episode of Seinfeld

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Detective No. 27 posted:

Apple... bees? They make speciality honey yes?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why not just say something came up with family? Works like a charm and most people don't dig for further details.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Splicer posted:

Apple... bees? They make speciality honey yes?

"You want us to meet for dinner at the home of J.R. Applebee, the sausage baron of Chicago?!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Why not just say something came up with family? Works like a charm and most people don't dig for further details.

The flaw in that plan is that they might have tried to reset the Applebee's date to accommodate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The flaw in his actual plan is that there's no logical connection between not knowing a place and refusing to eat there

Did it work, at least?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My brother's rehearsal dinner was at Applebee's and it sad by far the best part of the wedding.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

The flaw in his actual plan is that there's no logical connection between not knowing a place and refusing to eat there

Did it work, at least?

It was a very flawed plan. It didn't work as he told me they went there last night.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

jojoinnit posted:

"You want us to meet for dinner at the home of J.R. Applebee, the sausage baron of Chicago?!"

Excuse me.

Abe Frohman is the sausage king of Chicago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1144283018825277440?s=19

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Lol, holy poo poo; I thought for sure this would be a bank or something but wow

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

plainswalker75 posted:

Lol, holy poo poo; I thought for sure this would be a bank or something but wow

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Panfilo posted:

My brother's rehearsal dinner was at Applebee's and it sad by far the best part of the wedding.

They couldn't even spring for a Chili's?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I was guessing some kind of clothes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Beachcomber posted:

I was guessing some kind of clothes.

Same.

I'm so glad I watched the entire thing for that payoff.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Holy hell, with 15 seconds left I'd settled on either cologne or jeans.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I inexplicably thought condoms and then I felt vindicated about 2/3rds the way through only to lose at the last minute to a different kind of foot long.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Started out with security guard training, ended up at UHaul. Was not expecting that.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I thought it was going to be an insurance or maybe a truck commercial.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I was thinking Hanes or some other underwear brand for about half of it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I thought it was going to be for brandy because I misread the tweet as saying that.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Frankly, it could well have been. I was going for insurance myself, and that would have made a lot more sense too.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
poo poo the pretentious as gently caress advert worked really well didnt it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's beautifully shot at least

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh no one is saying it's not well made

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

TheMaskedUgly posted:

poo poo the pretentious as gently caress advert worked really well didnt it

Yah every time I pass a Subway for a better sandwich shop I'll think "Man that was a weird commercial".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder about the - probably - frustrated director who wanted to put that out and the only option was a Subway ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Creepy twist: it was directed by Jared