Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just pay yourself to 'work'.

OK Outrail, here's your contract: catch three 8 pound trout by the due date and I'll pay you $5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stolen from the cursed thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

This makes me want to die

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Two for the price of 2

Sjs00 has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Jun 20, 2019

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Powershift posted:

This is straight out of 30 Rock.

I honestly thought it was a parody and had to double-check the YouTube account.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Powershift posted:

The reset is manual turning on and off? Wouldnt you only want these bulbs somewhere you cant reach so cant manually do?

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

For those hard-to-reach lights you'll need a remote power on/off system, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Clapper-Activated-Detection-Appliances-Technology/dp/B0000CGKLR

Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk&t=57s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Asimov posted:

For those hard-to-reach lights you'll need a remote power on/off system, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Clapper-Activated-Detection-Appliances-Technology/dp/B0000CGKLR

Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds. Clap twice for two seconds.... and clap twice again for 8 seconds.

Stand up and shout MCDONALDS to turn your lights back on.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06/19/avengers-endgame-theatrical-re-release-extra-footage-kevin-feige

Tl;dr they're giving the latest Avengers movie a cinematic re-release with six whole minutes of extra footage. Mostly (I suspect) to push it over the line to break Avatar's box office records.

:regd08:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

the people who live off of stocks but don't want any kind of government handout (free school, education etc) are so incredible to me.

And yeah if you can get 2-3 mil into mutual funds, bonds etc you're pretty set for retirement. anyone with net worth above that is living LAVISHly in the US.

If you have 100,000,000 you can spend several million each year and still end up in the green, all just for having money...

If a form of luxury communism is society just giving you whatever you want when you want it for no work then the 1% and up live exactly that way. No work, no contribution, just a bank account that says a number big enough for you to take whatever you want.
yes but have you considered that if you splurge on a $100 million yacht you would be financially destitute like anyone else? and there are people that could drop $100 million on bitcoins and lose it all and it's basically the equivalent of them losing their iphone

not much difference between them and the average amazon warehouse worker if you think about it in this context

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So my partner works for an NGO and is trying to raise $20k to fund a project. One of the board members has a potential donor on the line and my partner was feeling super bad about trying to butter this rich dude up for money because $20k is obviously a lot.

But then it was pointed out that the rich dude is worth about $1bn, so $20k for him is literally the equivalent (relative to net worth) of $10 for us. That made her feel much better.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

So my partner works for an NGO and is trying to raise $20k to fund a project. One of the board members has a potential donor on the line and my partner was feeling super bad about trying to butter this rich dude up for money because $20k is obviously a lot.

But then it was pointed out that the rich dude is worth about $1bn, so $20k for him is literally the equivalent (relative to net worth) of $10 for us. That made her feel much better.

It's actually less, it's like 1 cent. A million dollars is like one cent, in that losing it will make absolutely no difference to his life in any way whatsoever. $10 for a lot of people will be the difference of being bale to pay a power bill or not.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

i already have that without having the money to to retire
or having the vacations or golf

they post on reddit which is substantially more disturbing than posting on these dead, gay forums, friend

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

$20,000 to someone with $1 billion ($1,000,000,000) net worth is the mathmatical equivalent of $2 to someone with $100,000 net worth.

So, if you make a great salary and decide to buy a McDonalds double-cheeseburger it will have about the same impact to some guy with a billion bucks. If you took half that guy's wealth and distributed it, you could have:

500 new millionaires instantly
or provide a $10,000 tuition benefit to 50,000 college students
or fund a ~30,000 student public school district for a year
or basically anything else you can think of that would substantially improve thousands of people's lives

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yes precisely why she's no longer feeling guilty about asking him for $20k, and also not at all worried about trying to keep him on the hook for a multi-million dollar donation later

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

Just pay yourself to 'work'.

OK Outrail, here's your contract: catch three 8 pound trout by the due date and I'll pay you $5000.

Just pay yourself in gamerscore, 1 Gamerscore = $2.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

My favorite billionaire statistic is that someone with $1b could spend $70k every single day for 40 years before they ran out of money. Jeff Bezos can spend at that rate for 6000 years.

It is necessary and proper that such spending power be concentrated in a handful of individuals.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc3WY3fuZU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Powershift posted:

it support: have you tried turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

My favorite billionaire statistic is that someone with $1b could spend $70k every single day for 40 years before they ran out of money. Jeff Bezos can spend at that rate for 6000 years.

It is necessary and proper that such spending power be concentrated in a handful of individuals.

Well yeah if you dumb poor people had that kind of money you might do something silly like spend it or otherwise use it in a way that's more economically productive than throwing it in a big pile and hoarding it like a dragon

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

it support: have you tried turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on and turning it off and turning it back on?

Turn on, apply directly to the forehead. Turn on, apply directly to the forehead. Turn on, apply directly to the forehead. Turn on, apply directly to the forehead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I had to check if that was really from GE and not a satire account, it really seems like Tim and Eric sk-

there we go

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Communist Walrus posted:

That’s if it’s stable too - a bucket of one billion in cash - and not growing at a compounding like 5 or 6% every year

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Communist Walrus posted:

Mmm well kind of but only if they get 0 return on that billion to begin with. 5-10% roi on $1b is $50-$100 million which means they could spend significantly more than $70k/day and still break even at the end of the year.

:v:

$70k a day is roughly $2.1m a month so spending that amount out of a billion in principle would mean at the end of the year you have more than you started with even just assuming about 5% return. Even accounting for capital gains tax I think.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Jun 20, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

just a reminder that the only way that someone can earn wealth they did not work for is that someone else in society produced wealth which they did not keep

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Had a call from a citizen today. Apartment keeps flooding with backed up sewage. Landlord's solution? Bring in some fans to dry it up and bitch about tenants flushing diapers.

Citizen: "They're so quick to want the rent money but if you need help you can't get a hold of them." Nail on the head, lady.

There's a reason the landlords are the first against the wall in any revolution. :killing:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So we got a new site manager this week and his first change is to add onto our No Fault Point system. Under the current system you get a written warning at 4 points, verbal at 6, suspension at 8, and termination at 10.

A point lasts a full year before it falls off. You get 1 point for missing over half a day. 1/2 for missing 6 minutes to half a day. 1/2 for being less than 6 minutes late.

Well now if you have over 5 1/2 points you get no raise. Instead your raise gets cut up and distributed to everyone under that score

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

So we got a new site manager this week and his first change is to add onto our No Fault Point system. Under the current system you get a written warning at 4 points, verbal at 6, suspension at 8, and termination at 10.

A point lasts a full year before it falls off. You get 1 point for missing over half a day. 1/2 for missing 6 minutes to half a day. 1/2 for being less than 6 minutes late.

Well now if you have over 5 1/2 points you get no raise. Instead your raise gets cut up and distributed to everyone under that score
So... if you're going to be six and a half minutes late... you should just stay home until noon?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

So... if you're going to be six and a half minutes late... you should just stay home until noon?

:hmmyes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So you can have 5 extra vac days a year and still get a rise?

Losing your job because you're 30 seconds late 20 days a year is some great bullshit.

Basically get all your employees up in points and you can basically fire them at will for dumb reasons and deny everyone a raise.

Up against the wall.

E: do you get points back if they ask you to stay 30 seconds late?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

Basically get all your employees up in points and you can basically fire them at will for dumb reasons and deny everyone a raise.

Congrats you cracked the code.

Who wants to bet that for all the scrutiny over clocking in late, clocking in early is strictly disallowed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
lol what kind of doublespeak is this 'no fault point system' bullshit? it's very clearly a graduating series of faults and punishments!

yes I know, the 'no fault' part is actually a reference to the employer, because it's a universal standard with no room for manager oversite, they can't be held at fault and sued for wrongful termination or uneven enforcement
I do love the way that every place that uses it inevitably gets angry when someone min-maxes the system either riding up to the "cool, nothing bad happens until x point. I'll always be under x" or "So half day is the same as being 5 minutes late? Cool, I'm always going to be < 5 minutes late, or else I have a half day"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Outrail posted:

:lol: you don't even need a points system to do that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
'no fault' is just a way of saying that they don't care what the reason was for your absence/tardiness. In other words, no extenuating circumstances matter or will ever help you, get hosed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

using bullshit points systems to fire people for cause is so you can deny people unemployment benefits

yes there is a hilarious conflict of interest in letting a former employer make more money by denying you unemployment benefits

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thanatosian posted:

People have done that. I was going to be late one day and when it was obvious I wouldn't be in until after the 4 hour mark I just stayed home. I was still going to get the point.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Chomp8645 posted:

Congrats you cracked the code.

Who wants to bet that for all the scrutiny over clocking in late, clocking in early is strictly disallowed.

I use a hand scanner for clock on/off. It gives you a score ('your score is: ***') but no one has any idea what the score means, because sometimes it will be less than fifty or over 100 on the same day, even if you arrive and leave on time.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Len posted:

So if I’m on time everyday AND slash my coworkers tires so they’re late, I can get a bigger raise?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

So if I’m on time everyday AND slash my coworkers tires so they’re late, I can get a bigger raise?

5 more cents a month

You'll have to do all their jobs when they're fired tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TheMostFrench posted:

I use a hand scanner for clock on/off. It gives you a score ('your score is: ***') but no one has any idea what the score means, because sometimes it will be less than fifty or over 100 on the same day, even if you arrive and leave on time.

If it pops up as you scan, usually that score is biometric matching. So how accurate a read it got/certainty of the valid scan, not tied to you meeting your schedule.