Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Techniques are neat and potentially powerful but I do think most of their MP costs are a bit high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the three hit kick and katana combos also do decent damage but 80% of the time you'll be knocked out of it by bumping before you get to complete them

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I keep wanting to use greatswords and while I know there are techniques that aren't explicitly spelled out for you I'm not noticing a lot of anything I want to use there.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Just going to join in on the gushing. This really is Aria/Dawn of Sorrow done with Symphony's janky charm, it's perfect in every way. I know the plot is the smallest part of these games for most people, but I was worried the lack of "cursed king Dracula" would lead to everyone feeling like a lesser substitute. "Alchemists create a hell castle by summoning the 72 demons and now you face their head warlock" is a drat fine substitute.

The most objective criticism I could give is that crafting is a little overwhelming, but I love that the shop and alkahest breakdown means that farming money is the only real bottleneck.

Kheldarn posted:

On the one had, I'm sad that apparently, my video card is too potato to play the Steam version of this game.

I know this is from several pages ago, but I wanted to say I was ping-ponging between sub-30 fps up to 40 at best until I switched from Fullscreen / Vsync Off / Framer Smoothing On to Fullscreen Borderless / VSync On / Frame Smoothing Off. The smoothing in particular seems to be what was killing my card; I was able to set everything up to Epic afterwards except post processing with a constant 60fps. Maybe not the problem you're having but wanted to share.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Techniques are neat and potentially powerful but I do think most of their MP costs are a bit high

Yeah I'd be interested in seeing some MP balancing
which is another cool thing of this being a modern castlevania - they'll be able to tune this rather than us being stuck with hosed up drop rates and useless items

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of weapons i found the game's copy paste of the heaven sword from SOTN and it's going to be hard to find a weapon to replace it. huge range, wide arc on the return, hits multiple times, and can be used while walking, it's the whole package. i'm just disappointed they couldn't figure in a way to retain its super move.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can I find a 16-bit coin somewhere in the game world, or do I gotta pony up the $$$? Also is the Deathbringer axe worth blowing my precious coin on.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
techniques are the worst cuz you have to do them to actually record them, not just read them

the menu for it has them with a mastery tho so it might do more with that

also someone was asking about the celeste key, I found the door for it here. Not the key tho so it's a mystery!!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

techniques are the worst cuz you have to do them to actually record them, not just read them

also someone was asking about the celeste key, I found the door for it here. Not the key tho so it's a mystery!!

The menu directly under the technique menu holds all the journal entries you've read, which includes the descriptions and weapons for techniques you've yet to try.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Maxed out mastery lets you use a technique with all weapons of that type, not just specific ones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

Maxed out mastery lets you use a technique with all weapons of that type, not just specific ones.

which might be kind of a disappointment in its own right, because it means once you've seen (for example) one shoes' quarter circle forward attack technique you've seen them all

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gamerofthegame posted:

the key is in a ceiling in one of the rooms off to the left, in the gaudy golden place. Look for a tall chamber room with, I think, the fairy variants in it I can nail down specifics later if needed I'm just going off recent memory

actually going into the room just produces more mysteries though lmao

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I really really really want Not Alucard to be the next playable DLC guy.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I wish I switched to console when they announced they were no longer supporting Mac and Linux. A controller seems like it would be the best control scheme but I can't seem to get any of my controllers to work with Windows. Keyboard and mouse is really awkward and not easy to use for things like QCF + Kick for a combo move.

There's a menu item in Steam client settings (not in game, in the launcher, near where you configure poo poo like your display name and the overlay key) that lets you configure just about anything. I'm playing through fine with a Saturn pad on a 20-year-old adapter that predates the 360 pad system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RBA Starblade posted:

Wired Xbox 360 controllers are plug and play

Don't listen to this guy with his piece of poo poo peasant controller.

Get a Bone, Switch Pro, or DS4 controller. All of them work natively in Steam and unlike the 360 controller their D-Pads aren't smoking piles of poo poo.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the key is in a ceiling in one of the rooms off to the left, in the gaudy golden place. Look for a tall chamber room with, I think, the fairy variants in it I can nail down specifics later if needed I'm just going off recent memory

actually going into the room just produces more mysteries though lmao

To further narrow it down, I'm like 99% certain it's in the room that leads to both a save room and a warp room on the left hand side in that area. I've only found the one thing in that room though, but yeah, dunno if there's anything else hidden in it here either.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Does the boss of the Asian gardens have fire/slashing resist or something? It's obviously supposed to be tough, but 100+ claymore hits makes me feel like I'm missing something mechanical.

E: I should have thought harder. Since most of his poo poo is horizontal rushes of some sort, and it's annoying because of the changeup between jump dodge and duck/slidekick dodge, he's a sitting duck if you just go inverse and carve him off the ceiling with a greatsword.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 20, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Impulse posted:

To further narrow it down, I'm like 99% certain it's in the room that leads to both a save room and a warp room on the left hand side in that area. I've only found the one thing in that room though, but yeah, dunno if there's anything else hidden in it here either.

It's a reference to SotN. The room that leads into the fight with Richter had a breakable ceiling with a bunch of rare items in it, and a second breakable wall to the side. Just like the broken staircase, this is only slightly different, being in the tall room just before the staircase rather than right after it.

There's still a breakable wall up there, too. It's got something pretty interesting behind it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Broken Cog posted:

Do anyone actually use techniques? They can be pretty finicky to do on keyboard, and their damage or utility usually doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

ME.

Techniques were made for me. I use them all the time and everytime I get a new one I immediately go to master it. Technique mastery works exactly like I hoped it would when I first heard about it.

Seriously, though, if you work on food recipes and get the first time eating buffs it really helps out for mp usage. Some food boosts how fast your MP recharges.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

Don't listen to this guy with his piece of poo poo peasant controller.

Get a Bone, Switch Pro, or DS4 controller. All of them work natively in Steam and unlike the 360 controller their D-Pads aren't smoking piles of poo poo.

Wow, rude

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've gotten some use out of the staff extension and helm splitter techniques. The latter lowers enemy defense and does a TON of damage, though it usually leaves me inside an enemy's hitbox. Kinda hard to judge the range.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I didn't even know mastering a technique was a thing. My favorite weapon is the red flying blade that you throw across the screen, does this weapon have a technique?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

exquisite tea posted:

I thought it would only work on the reflective panels. Don't I feel dumb!

Yeah, as far as I can tell reflective panels are a "use ray here" notation and maaaaaybe range extender but mostly not necessary and walls do the same thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CRAYON posted:

I didn't even know mastering a technique was a thing. My favorite weapon is the red flying blade that you throw across the screen, does this weapon have a technique?

it does not, unless it uses a button combination i'm not aware of yet. also even though it's classed as a one-handed sword you can't use mastered one handed sword techniques with it (if i'm remembering right)

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, i don't think flying swords have techniques buy I've only got 81% of them. It's just the main weapon categories.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So I decided to try the game on Nightmare on the first playthrough and after getting to the first boss, here's my review:

Don't.

To go into depth I guess, there's more changes aside from just numbers, aka bosses have some new attacks, but it's mostly numbers. Big numbers. Like, two hits from any enemy and you're dead big numbers. For a while this was fine, but even just from my limited playtime has shown me that this game just isn't technical or tight enough to play it like that. Enemies are just giant hitboxes and don't need to be doing an attack to actually hit you, and some enemies are designed to just be constantly ramming into you. The first bosses Nightmare attack is one that is a screen-wide attack you can only avoid by hiding behind the enemies she summons. But, the enemies are always moving and jumping around and attacking and so you need to use your weapon to hold them in place, except if you accidentally get too close to one you might as well have just gotten hit by the screen lazer, but you have to get close because if you're even a little too far away you'll get hit by the lazer anyways. The game's movement just isn't precise enough to make this feel good. Just stick with Normal or Hard unless you want to do like some sort of mega challenge run, because this reaaaally isn't the way this game is meant to be played.

If a difficulty is locked until you beat the game but also unlockable via cheat code, it is the universal sign that the difficulty is balanced around the knowledge that you’ve already beaten the game and have mastered all the game’s mechanics already but the developers were courteous enough to realize that sometimes people lose save files or get the game again on another system and will want to just dive back in to the higher difficulties

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Where do you find Monster Fur? I need some to make some breastplates to upgrade my Strike Resistance shard.

Saint Freak posted:

I have the sword that flies around that you can also equip, and I know that some part of the familiar is making the equip part stronger, but no clue which one.
Based on my experiments, all of it. Grade, Rank, and its level all increase the damage of it as an equipped sword.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

The best tech is the greatsword charge because the longer it goes, the faster you go. Nothing like getting from town to the castle in 10 seconds flat :getin:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Bloodless is kicking my rear end! I can't tell, is her mid-fight heal just a "phase 2" transition type thing or is it something I can interrupt/avoid somehow?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

goferchan posted:

Bloodless is kicking my rear end! I can't tell, is her mid-fight heal just a "phase 2" transition type thing or is it something I can interrupt/avoid somehow?

I would also like to know if there is a trick to this fight.

Somehow beat it because I guess I did enough damage before she healed a second time. The chainsaw shard just absolutely rips any boss that stays still.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

goferchan posted:

I don't think you can prevent it, but you can avoid it by standing under the parasols or running to the other side of the room

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell reflective panels are a "use ray here" notation and maaaaaybe range extender but mostly not necessary and walls do the same thing.

the panels extend how far the ray goes and are pretty necessary in some cases to actually make the shot if they want you to go somewhere in particular while using it. walls won't give the same amount of distance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

She can heal more than once? Huh.

Yeah I just thought it was a phase transition.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I love the techniques. Not all of them are useful, but you can always cancel your attacks by doing them. So for example with the whips, if you're tired of hopping around like a crazy person, you can do attack, dodge, attack, qcf-attack to spit out three rapid hits and the recovery on the skill is much less than a regular attack so you stay mobile.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

goferchan posted:

it's not interruptable and just a phase 2 transition (or at least hitting her with the chainsaw for the entire animation won't interrupt it).

i think that lady just has a lot more HP than other bosses until then, because it was the first I couldn't just damage race

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

goferchan posted:

Pretty sure this is just a phase 2 transition. I beat her without interrupting or avoiding it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phantasium posted:

She can heal more than once? Huh.

Yeah I just thought it was a phase transition.
I never saw her heal more than once myself. I always died before it until my most recent attempt after bumming around the castle upgrading shards and exploring areas and stuff and changing my tactics.

She's pretty vulnerable to the crafted lighting shard which drops a bunch of lightning where you are, a lot of her attacks lock her in place.

Kobogartimer posted:

I love the techniques. Not all of them are useful, but you can always cancel your attacks by doing them. So for example with the whips, if you're tired of hopping around like a crazy person, you can do attack, dodge, attack, qcf-attack to spit out three rapid hits and the recovery on the skill is much less than a regular attack so you stay mobile.
Don't forget "attack in the air, land" at the start of the chain to make that four fast attacks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only technique that matters is the shoes cause it lets you access stuff early easily and if playing hard mode and above gives you invulnerable frames. The others seem to be junk.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Difficulty goes through the roof at about Bloodless or so. I love it. Had to take a step back and rethink poo poo when I noticed my health was dropping super low in these later areas.

I'm at 15 hours or so and a majority of that is loving about farming and playing with abilities and combos. So many of these I want to see how I can use them and am already planning future runs around different weapon/ability combos. Can't wait to read some of the massive guides people create for this and it will be great fun to watch the speedrunning community rip it apart.

Anyone tried any of the 32 bit coin weapons yet?

I'd back a Bloodstained 2 right now if they announced it. I hope the planet lasts long enough so we can enjoy.

Givin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the katana counter is pretty good
the power pole extend move is good though it’s exclusive to one weapon I think
the problem with a lot of the others though is that they more often than not place you inside of an enemy’s hitbox with no mercy invincibility