Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If they're going to add a mechanics boss, it should be a solo duty you need to complete to progress in the MSQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smart Car posted:

I could see it being a bit of both personally. They might have done initial design thinking they needed to split the load by splitting the zones, then later in HW development developed the zone instancing, but they'd already designed the story around the split zones. Then in Stormblood they figured everything went fine with HW so they didn't need to bother with it. S-E also mentioned there were heavy DDOS attacks at the launch of SB which were contributing to the issues, though I still hope they pushed segments like it later since I'm pretty sure cramming everyone into a lengthy solo duty didn't help.

There actually was a brief zone split in the beginning of SB. It didn’t help though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i've never been so insulted in my life

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

SettingSun posted:

We should have more weird mechanics bosses imo

cosigned

e: honestly just bring back the stacking gaze marker from the diabolos hollow fight it's really cool watching peoples brains break to that

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

The new raid is just Number Munchers hosted by Construct 7

i want a new raid set in the construct 7 factory

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There need to be more bosses that play with your mental conditioning with regards to telegraphs, like A10. You see a big orange circle on the ground and your instinct is to stay the gently caress out of it, but you actually need to stay in it to avoid another, unmarked mechanic.

Also it's really funny to see people take the long way around the growing orange circle during the Mist Dragon intermission instead of just running right through it. Pavlovian as gently caress.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Krabboss posted:

Speaking of bad players, I got put into jail recently for something I did in 4.0 I think. I was running the Aery as DRG and there was a tank and some melee dps in the party who had queued together. They were both very bad, and this came after a string of slow and torturous dungeon runs, so I was pretty cranky. When I used LB as soon as the meter was full, they complained that I had wasted it. So I told them that based on their damage numbers, they'll just have to trust that I know better than them.

I was kicked from the party and then I think my sub ran out a couple days later. It finally caught up to me when I resubbed. The GM who scolded me in the cell was very roleplay-y about it. That's my story.

Good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Be excellent to each other, talk poo poo in private with your friends.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, they're removing the FATE challenge logs. Rip in piss forever fates.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

The new raid is just Number Munchers hosted by Construct 7

In keeping with the bleak, apocalyptic themes of ShB, it will instead be Mathman.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

I'm not excusing what I did and I deserved the report. Definitely being a bad player is a worse offense than being mean to a bad player though, especially if a bad player thinks they have the right to speak to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
In a MMO you are a bad player if you are a raging rear end in a top hat

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Based on my reading of the post, they're turning them into something else FATE related.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Martin BadClixx posted:

In a MMO you are a bad player if you are a raging rear end in a top hat

That's true. You're also a bad player if you make a dungeon take twice or three times as long as it should.

I wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat, I just told two people who were raging at me that they were wrong to do so. I didn't say anything else in the run beforehand and iirc I wasn't even complaining to my FC. I broke the rules though, and I paid the price by having to talk to a turbonerd GM who wanted to roleplay with me in my prison cell.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The guilty pay the price.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If they're going to add a mechanics boss, it should be a solo duty you need to complete to progress in the MSQ.

If only.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going through my screenshot folder and oh drat, Yojimbo being in Hildi was called by goons all the way back in 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Krabboss posted:

I'm not excusing what I did and I deserved the report. Definitely being a bad player is a worse offense than being mean to a bad player though, especially if a bad player thinks they have the right to speak to me.

WTF. Are you being serious?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
its always nice when the .txt comes from within the thread

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

jabro posted:

WTF. Are you being serious?

Well both don't add anything to the game or make anybody happy, so they're probably equally bad I guess.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Multiple tiers is not a surprise, "Ah you finished AF1? Here's a box that unceremoniously gives you all of AF2" is a surprise, especially with my only MMO experience being FF11

That's pretty much the nature of MMOs post WoW. WoW put a big emphasis on each new raid tier being objectively better than the last one, and FFXIV is imitating WoW, so ilvl for gear is always going up and you're always replacing it. It's not like FF11 at all where gear is usually all just lateral upgrades and you're hanging on to a bunch of stuff for gear swap macros or whatever.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd rather be in a party with three people figuring out their jobs and trying their best than someone efficient, competent, and a giant prick.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Krabboss posted:

Well both don't add anything to the game or make anybody happy, so they're probably equally bad I guess.

A bad player may just need some friendly coaching in a game, but being a rude jerk is something people should know well enough not to do in general. They are definitely not equally bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Krabboss posted:

"the right to speak to me"

Every post you've ever made in this thread makes you sound like the most insufferable shithead

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well if they're only a giant prick after you complain they used limit break wrong. :shrug:

If it was a choice between dealing with someone being pissy all dungeon long and people who are new but willing to learn, yeah, no contest, the latter. But there's some days I just want to get my daily dungeon done and can at least sort of empathize with someone who doens't really want to deal with players who don't know what they're doing AND who criticize others.

But yeah the "right to speak to me" part is :laffo:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I just had a party where we wiped in Sohm Al on the first big pull, so I proceeded to pull more slowly so the healer could keep us up. The healer proceeded to complain that I was pulling too slow, so I pulled more and then we wiped again.

I didn't get mad in game but, lemme tell you, I was mildly perturbed irl.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Smugly telling my duty finder party about how good my damage meters make me look

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mister No posted:

I just had a party where we wiped in Sohm Al on the first big pull, so I proceeded to pull more slowly so the healer could keep us up. The healer proceeded to complain that I was pulling too slow, so I pulled more and then we wiped again.

I didn't get mad in game but, lemme tell you, I was mildly perturbed irl.

Did you tell the healer the reason why you were pulling slower or just goon out and yell to your monitor?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Only when you post your ACT logs and I deem them acceptable are you allowed to speak to me.

*sits forward in my Archon Throne*

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The text says they're being revised, so those challenges are likely being reworked to something else. Maybe they'll do something like create a separate challenge for each expansion, to help encourage participation in old areas.

Krabboss posted:

:yikes:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Is this the same guy who said there should be mandatory parses and that people with bad ones should be banned.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

jabro posted:

Did you tell the healer the reason why you were pulling slower or just goon out and yell to your monitor?

I'm not sure saying "The reason I'm pulling slowly is because you suck at healing" is the correct move there tbh.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I stopped parsing video game damages back in WoW Draenor I think and if I did have a meter going it was watching who was doing interrupts and cleanses. That's the real meta.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gross, no

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

jabro posted:

Nah, the WHM wasn't casting holy or anything more than occasional heal, so I didn't want to start anything over the dungeon taking a few minutes longer than normal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The best tanks are the ones who used to play healers.

The best healers are the ones who used to play tanks.

Prove me wrong.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

There need to be more bosses that play with your mental conditioning with regards to telegraphs, like A10. You see a big orange circle on the ground and your instinct is to stay the gently caress out of it, but you actually need to stay in it to avoid another, unmarked mechanic.

Also it's really funny to see people take the long way around the growing orange circle during the Mist Dragon intermission instead of just running right through it. Pavlovian as gently caress.

One of the best things about FFXIV is the mechanical consistency. It's one of the annoying things about WoW. One fight a purple circle means do not stand here. The next fight it means "stand here"

FFXIV keeping visuals consistent for mechanics is good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hope SB2 doesn't have a mechanics boss like Bardam. It's cool the first time you do it, but it's the exact same thing every time. There's no way to speed it up either. It doesn't help that you can just go afk and 90% of the time your party isn't too stupid to handle it. It really should have been part of a solo trial rather than repeatable content.
On the other hand it's like, a 2-3 minute boss fight. At most.
The only faster boss fights are when you Unsync stuff (and most old content is pretty quick too.)

Given how much they've been tweaking NPC allies for handling mechanics it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck refreshers/tests in solo stuff in ShB.
Not to mention Trusts being available to do another Bardam's style encounter.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

The best tanks are the ones who used to play healers.

The best healers are the ones who used to play tanks.

Prove me wrong.

Oh I definitely think knowing the limitations and needs of other roles makes you a better player overall. I used to be one of those people who overhealed tanks habitually until I leveled a tank and realized how unnecessary it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
We should have more mechanics bosses and they should auto-wipe the group after a single error.