Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
3 piece suits are starting to grow on me a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have one that I can’t possibly discuss that looks to be going to trial in September. Can’t do an anti-SLAPP motion because our statute requires the speech to be about a “public issue” and our Supreme Court has interpreted that extremely narrowly. I tried removing it because the claim was initially hundreds of thousands of dollars but it got remanded based on a $75k stipulation. Then I tried for MSJ but the trial judge has said in open court that she never grants summary judgments (she sure didn’t grant mine). So here we are. And yes it is absolutely lol-worthy. The facts are completely ridiculous. I wish I could get into details. It’s similar to the Hulk Hogan/Gawker poo poo.

Brutal. Good luck. I can relate to barreling toward a trial that shouldn't happen, it just hasn't happened to me with defamation yet, prob just jinxed it though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

terrorist ambulance posted:

3 piece suits are starting to grow on me a bit

Start lifting and eating more, they'll feel tighter.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Unamuno posted:

appeals aside, lol @ having to litigate a defamation case beyond a rule 12 or anti-slapp mtd

The question arose in the context of a Slander of Title real estate claim where a "Quitclaim Deed" that wasn't actually a quitclaim deed got filed and killed a sale, and we were discussing trial strategy, and since Slander of Title is just [Slander Elements] + [Lost a Specific Sale of Real Property] it came up.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

blarzgh posted:

The question arose in the context of a Slander of Title real estate claim where a "Quitclaim Deed" that wasn't actually a quitclaim deed got filed and killed a sale, and we were discussing trial strategy, and since Slander of Title is just [Slander Elements] + [Lost a Specific Sale of Real Property] it came up.

Perhaps I misread your earlier posts, but is it not just a burden-shifting standard, where plaintiffs must meet some initial burden, and if they meet that burden, the defendants must bear the burden of establishing the statement was substantially true?

And does the lack of pleading the affirmative defense of truth prevent you from introducing the same evidence (on cross-examination, lets say) as a rebuttal to the Plaintiff's evidence at trial? And why can't you just ask to amend the pleadings to conform to the evidence during the trial if you need to? Courts in my state have always generously allowed amendments to conform to the evidence.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Did any of you use some sort of flash cards or software for helping to memorize rule statements for essays?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Perhaps I misread your earlier posts, but is it not just a burden-shifting standard, where plaintiffs must meet some initial burden, and if they meet that burden, the defendants must bear the burden of establishing the statement was substantially true?

And does the lack of pleading the affirmative defense of truth prevent you from introducing the same evidence (on cross-examination, lets say) as a rebuttal to the Plaintiff's evidence at trial? And why can't you just ask to amend the pleadings to conform to the evidence during the trial if you need to? Courts in my state have always generously allowed amendments to conform to the evidence.

I was jumping between the two threads

blarzgh posted:

I think I have it figured out: The point is that if you don't plead it as the Defendant you don't get to raise the issue during your case in chief, and may only address the issue during Plaintiff's case in chief, and in a fashion limited only to what the Plaintiff raises.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

Did any of you use some sort of flash cards or software for helping to memorize rule statements for essays?

I literally did nothing but read practice answers and tried to mimic those. It was good enough for me to pass.

How does your state structure the test? FL is 3 essays and 100 MC for the state test and then 200 question MBE.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Toona the Cat posted:

Just read and re-read mini-outlines for the essays, my state had 6 out of like 14 topics or something, didn't bother with flash cards or any of that non-sense since there was just too much to memorize to matter.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

I literally did nothing but read practice answers and tried to mimic those. It was good enough for me to pass.

How does your state structure the test? FL is 3 essays and 100 MC for the state test and then 200 question MBE.

6 essays, with one being a PA Performance test which is writing a memo/brief/letter in a closed universe.

200 MBE

Essays are weighed 55/45 to MBE.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Counterpoint, I made flashcards and passed. Basically rule statements with the hope that I could fart them out quickly on an essay and get 50% in the first 5 minutes.

For reference, my state had 5-6 essays that were worth 30% of the grade. Another 20% was the document questions, where you get half points by just applying facts to rules, even if you get the rules wrong.

In my figuring, I would get AT LEAST 50% on the multiple choice, and it was worth it to maximize points on the essays.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flashcards were fun for me so I did a lot of them. Do whatever is remotely fun or least painful for you. As long as you're consistently engaging with the materials you will be OK, unless you suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

6 essays, with one being a PA Performance test which is writing a memo/brief/letter in a closed universe.

200 MBE

All of our essays were supposed to be in brief/memo format. You literally get points for writing a proper heading and for formatting whether hand written or typed.

Florida allows you to pass as long as your average between the FL and MBE parts is above the line. You can fail either test individually and still pass & get admitted.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Toona the Cat posted:

200 MBE

The essay topics are likely to overlap with MBE topics. So I focused on getting as close to 100% on the MBE as possible and essentially punted on everything but the very basics of the esoteric, rarely-asked-about-in-essays subjects (e.g. commercial paper and secured transactions).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Am I reading this testimony right in the Gallagher ISIS murder case? The medic suffocated the prisoner AFTER Gallagher stabbed him in the neck? Like no one is disputing he stabbed the prisoner? Cause that doesn't seem like a great thing to hang your innocence on.

"I pinched the guy's nose after my buddy shot him in the head, therefore I did the murder, your honor."

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

Scott, testifying under immunity, also said that he had not admitted to asphyxiating the prisoner in previous interviews with NCIS or with the prosecution. He said he was only doing so now because he was granted immunity, which means he cannot be prosecuted for his testimony.

Scott also said he does not want to see Gallagher prosecuted and he does not want to see him go to jail. He admitted he had a motivation not to tell the Navy investigators the whole truth previously.
he's blowing up the trial to protect his friend

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
They're guessing, correctly, that they live in a fundamentally lawless, racist shithole that will never hold them accountable for their crimes or dishonesty.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Even if Gallagher gets convicted, the flag loving troop lover Big Mac golem will just pardon him, I don't know why the witness is bothering to lie

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Right, but his testimony doesn’t get his bro off the block. My crim law is extremely rusty, but he just drops from murder to at best attempted? Plus the other charges he is facing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Pretty big difference in sentence between stabbing someone but not causing their death and murder

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

After the other medic left the scene, Scott said he saw "Gallagher pull out his knife and stab the ISIS prisoner underneath the collar bone at least once." He said he did not see any blood. Scott froze and was not sure what to do, and said he "stayed with the prisoner until he asphyxiated."
On cross-examination, he told the defense that he never saw any blood after the stabbing. That's when he admitted to killing the prisoner himself, "because I knew he was going to die anyway."
He thought the prisoner was going to die because of the stabbing, so wouldn't Gallagher still be considered the murderer? or at least joint murderer? don't know how the military treats it.

Still seems like the dude is lying or trying to derail the case

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

EwokEntourage posted:

He thought the prisoner was going to die because of the stabbing, so wouldn't Gallagher still be considered the murderer? or at least joint murderer? don't know how the military treats it.

Still seems like the dude is lying or trying to derail the case

The law of parties normally requires one party to perform some action to aid or cause the other party to commit the act. Article 81 of the UCMJ also seems to require an agreement between the parties to commit a crime. In other words, Gallagher would have needed to say or do something to cause or encourage the medic to asphyxiate the prisoner. If Gallagher stabbed the prisoner and didn't encourage/aid/solicit/etc the medic to kill the prisoner then Gallagher shouldn't be convicted of murder.

Possible exception: Does the UCMJ give a soldier owe some sort of heightened duty of care to a prisoner under his watch?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 21, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What is the guys charged with? I assume the UCMJ allows for prosecution of war crimes, and stabbing a prisoner is in fact a war crime?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My friend failed the CA bar twice despite going to a law school that isn't just CA qualified. Anything I can say to him that'll make him feel better but also acknowledge that he's a dumbo given that he should have passed?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
hand draw Dick Butt and mail it to him

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What is the guys charged with? I assume the UCMJ allows for prosecution of war crimes, and stabbing a prisoner is in fact a war crime?

Well, yes, but there are a bunch of other charges.

Charge I - UCMJ Article 118 (Premeditated Murder)
Charge II.1 - UCMJ Article 128 (Aggravated Assault with a Dangerous Weapon)
Charge II.2 - UCMJ Article 128 (Aggravated Assault with a Dangerous Weapon)
[UCMJ Article 134 is the catchall for "all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital"]
Charge III.1 - UCMJ Article 134 (Reckless Discharge of a Firearm)
Charge III.2 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.3 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.4 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.5 - UCMJ Article 134 (Posing With a Body)
Charge III.6 - UCMJ Article 134 (Reenlisting With a Body)
Charge III.7 - UCMJ Article 134 (Wrongful Operation of Drone Over Body)
Charge IV.1 - UCMJ Article 112.a (Wrongful Use of a Controlled Substance) (Tramadol, Narcotic)
Charge IV.2 - UCMJ Article 112.a (Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance) (Sustanon, an anabolic steroid)

https://www.scribd.com/document/393220365/Charge-Sheet-For-The-Navy-SEAL-Accused-Of-War-Crimes-In-Mosul#from_embed

Carillon posted:

My friend failed the CA bar twice despite going to a law school that isn't just CA qualified. Anything I can say to him that'll make him feel better but also acknowledge that he's a dumbo given that he should have passed?

"I hear the lawyers are abandoning the law to run taco trucks anyway..."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ulmont posted:

Charge I - UCMJ Article 118 (Premeditated Murder)
Charge II.1 - UCMJ Article 128 (Aggravated Assault with a Dangerous Weapon)
Charge II.2 - UCMJ Article 128 (Aggravated Assault with a Dangerous Weapon)
[UCMJ Article 134 is the catchall for "all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital"]
Charge III.1 - UCMJ Article 134 (Reckless Discharge of a Firearm)
Charge III.2 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.3 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.4 - UCMJ Article 134 (Obstructing Justice)
Charge III.5 - UCMJ Article 134 (Posing With a Body)
Charge III.7 - UCMJ Article 134 (Wrongful Operation of Drone Over Body)
Charge IV.1 - UCMJ Article 112.a (Wrongful Use of a Controlled Substance) (Tramadol, Narcotic)
Charge IV.2 - UCMJ Article 112.a (Unlawful Possession of a Controlled Substance) (Sustanon, an anabolic steroid)

https://www.scribd.com/document/393220365/Charge-Sheet-For-The-Navy-SEAL-Accused-Of-War-Crimes-In-Mosul#from_embed

"I hear the lawyers are abandoning the law to run taco trucks anyway..."

The only charge that pertains to stabbing the kid to death is the murder.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

joat mon posted:

You don't think the steroids played a role?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

joat mon posted:

ulmont posted:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

joat mon posted:

That's the only life sentence too unless I'm missing something. Not the craziest thing I've seen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Carillon posted:

Lots of people fail the CA bar. They're called baristas.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

Lots of people fail the CA bar. They're called baristas.

:perfect:

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

Are you going through a test prep company or just trying to do this on your own? If through a company, just follow what they lay out and just keep doing the draft essays (probably in outline form is fine) then compare to the model answer. Try to pick up 2-3 points each time that you missed.

If you're just doing prep on your own you should really consider going for a prep program, even at this point. You're shooting for a raise right? So it's easy to justify the cost. If you won't do that, maybe there are similar essay questions and model answers publicly available.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Carillon posted:

Kathleen Sullivan became a supreme court litigator, dean of Stanford law school and the only female name partner in a vault 100 law firm( or something like that), before she took and failed the California bar.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113374619258513723

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Are you going through a test prep company or just trying to do this on your own? If through a company, just follow what they lay out and just keep doing the draft essays (probably in outline form is fine) then compare to the model answer. Try to pick up 2-3 points each time that you missed.

If you're just doing prep on your own you should really consider going for a prep program, even at this point. You're shooting for a raise right? So it's easy to justify the cost. If you won't do that, maybe there are similar essay questions and model answers publicly available.

Yeah, I'm using Themis and have been doing okay with it. My graded essays have been generally alright, but with our bar scores more weighted towards essays, I figured it couldn't hurt to beef up more on rule statements.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
K

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 15, 2021

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

quote:

Is this common enough to justify an article?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s not specifically mentioned in the article-the text includes “...all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital,...”

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is this common enough to justify an article?
No, I expect its never been charged until now.

In the military, your bosses and their lawyers are allowed to just make up charges. Notice? Nah. Ex Post Facto? Nah. Could it be prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces ? Oh, then you're good to go.
The "Posing With a Body" and "Wrongful Operation of Drone Over Body" are similarly made up charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Conduct unbecoming (133) is the catchall for officers, right?