Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

McCoy Pauley posted:

drat -- I suppose I should finally learn how to do a haduken. Even if the reward isn't great, it just irks me too much to leave an unexplored square behind.

Unfortunately at least on PS4 it seems kind of hard to get the techniques to come out in this game. I don't have any trouble with fighting game specials but getting the shoe rekkas to come out has been kind of a bitch for me in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

I'm going to share my pain for anyone who didn't realize it, but there are medals you get for no-damaging bosses. They don't have any obvious function but they might count for item completion so now you are like me and have to get them all.

It was nice to remember that these were probably in the game by just mashing lightning into a dragon's face and going "oh yeah". I don't even know what that boss does.

I think Ecclesia's medals did count towards item completion so I'd be surprised if these ones didn't.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I got the game in on Tuesday but work and life has kept me away from giving it much attention. I'm cancelling a movie ticket to really start to dig into it. It'd been a while since I played SOTN and I'm trying to get back into the rhythm of the game, totally digging it so far though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goferchan posted:

That skill is actually unmasterable, it's unique to that specific staff

yeah, i assume there's only one sectional staff so any weapon-specific mastery skills are going to be automatically 'maxed'. kind of like the blood spray for the umbrella.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RichterIX posted:

Unfortunately at least on PS4 it seems kind of hard to get the techniques to come out in this game. I don't have any trouble with fighting game specials but getting the shoe rekkas to come out has been kind of a bitch for me in this.

yeah, the technique detection feels really finicky at times. i thought it was just me using mouse and keyboard at first but it still was there using a controller too. i think the detection is just not implemented great.

that said, being unable to perform a hadouken is a shameful gamer confession

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCoy Pauley posted:

drat -- I suppose I should finally learn how to do a haduken. Even if the reward isn't great, it just irks me too much to leave an unexplored square behind.

I know the room you mean here, and you'll probably find it easier to do a dive kick towards it when you're in the air, since that's how I was able to do it here.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im playing the PC version with a PS4 controller and I cant reliably get the air-kick tech to work either for what that's worth

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im playing the PC version with a PS4 controller and I cant reliably get the air-kick tech to work either for what that's worth

yeah there's something weird about it

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arc Impulse posted:

I know the room you mean here, and you'll probably find it easier to do a dive kick towards it when you're in the air, since that's how I was able to do it here.

Is dive kick a move other than this haduken thing with the shoes? Which after a dozen tries I find myself able to do on the ground, but still having a hell of a time executing as jump forward off of the swinging mast. I should just swallow my OCD and leave the room alone.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 20, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help I found the goof zone and everything hits me for 80-100 damage

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is dive kick a move other than this haduken thing with the shoes? Which after a dozen tries I find myself able to do on the ground, but still having a hell of a time executive as jump forward off of the swinging mast. I should just swallow my OCD and leave the room alone.

after you get the double jump, holding down, or diagonal down/right or left, and hitting jump again will cause you to do a triangle kick. if you hit something with it you'll bounce up to the height of a normal jump off of it, and it'll reset your double jump so you can use it again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

after you get the double jump, holding down, or diagonal down/right or left, and hitting jump again will cause you to do a triangle kick. if you hit something with it you'll bounce up to the height of a normal jump off of it, and it'll reset your double jump so you can use it again.

The game tracks your longest kickin' spree too

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Cowcaster posted:

Thanks. I can't haduken to save my life, but I've downward stabbing things since Zelda 2, so this I think I can do it.

EDIT; Success, thanks to that harpy creature flapping around uselessly. Netted myself a pirate hat I already had, as well as a staff that seems decent, but a hair under the sword I currently use. Probably there's a lesson here about not really needing to explore every nook and cranny.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 20, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Djarum posted:

So I beat the game and the DLCs today. Really, really fun. I do wonder what the Celeste Room is for.

Pretty sure that's some kinda kickstarter reward thing and doesn't actually do anything.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i assume there's only one sectional staff so any weapon-specific mastery skills are going to be automatically 'maxed'. kind of like the blood spray for the umbrella.

The umbrella technique isn't unique. It definitely shows up in your technique menu and has its own mastery bar. You can find a bookshelf later on that lists other swords with the technique but they're all higher-level ones that I haven't seen yet.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RBA Starblade posted:

MY SELF AND MY SHADOW :byodood:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Any notable differences between PC and PS4? I usually get games on PC but my USB cord is being dumb and I figured I'll just get it on PS4 because that poo poo works wirelessly

BUT if there's notable differences in performance I guess I'll get a new USB cable for my DS4 ugh. At least the game is $5 cheaper on steam

I was waiting for the switch version till I saw it was 30fps. Please advissssse

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the only major reported difference so far is that ps4 physical copies went out and received a patch a day later that breaks game progression when you update to it using an older save, and pc digital downloads went out with the patch already baked in so no problems there. of course it's a moot point if you haven't already gotten the game. otherwise, the game is quite explicitly advertised as even running on a piece of cardboard with some wires hotglued to it so i'd be pretty surprised if the pc/ps4 ports didn't have parity.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ohhhh, I got stuck/lost for some time after getting the bad ending, but I didn't realize you could use the mirror warp ability that way (as a jump boost)

I don't think it's a very intuitive item

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Any notable differences between PC and PS4? I usually get games on PC but my USB cord is being dumb and I figured I'll just get it on PS4 because that poo poo works wirelessly

BUT if there's notable differences in performance I guess I'll get a new USB cable for my DS4 ugh. At least the game is $5 cheaper on steam

I was waiting for the switch version till I saw it was 30fps. Please advissssse

My friend on the ps4 (pro if it matters) complains that there is still some audio hitching / engine stuttering / frame drops at parts of the game, even after the most recent patch.

PC version has been flawless and crash free for me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh actually there was one reproducible bug i got on pc: i opened a staircase shortcut in one room and left using it fine, but if i ever used the staircase to go back up the graphics wouldn't load in and just leave me with a black screen. game was still running, all it took was walking back down the stairs to leave, but i ran back and forth a couple of times and just had to give up on entering that room from that direction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only bug I've seen on pc so far is items will get stuck in walls or areas you can't physically reach but it seems to just automatically give you whatever it is if you can't get to it anyway

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

The only bug I've seen on pc so far is items will get stuck in walls or areas you can't physically reach but it seems to just automatically give you whatever it is if you can't get to it anyway

ah yeah, this seems to happen most frequently on sloped bits of floor geometry and also in areas where they do funky things with the camera rotating around a tower and such. i think if the game detects that the item bag is in the "falling" status and not actually on the floor it'll just toss you it when you leave the room, i don't think it does it for bags that land and you just neglected to pick up though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only bugs I’ve experienced on PC is that one time I got stuck in the water with no way to jump out, and the game would crash on a very specific scene transition up one of those retractable staircases if I hit it a certain way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

My friend on the ps4 (pro if it matters) complains that there is still some audio hitching / engine stuttering / frame drops at parts of the game, even after the most recent patch.

drat that sounds like a big deal when the steam version is slightly discounted to boot

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The only bugs I’ve experienced on PC is that one time I got stuck in the water with no way to jump out, and the game would crash on a very specific scene transition up one of those retractable staircases if I hit it a certain way.

That water bug happened to me too, but I was lucky that it was on the left side from town, so you can just walk back to land since it's gradual.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kobogartimer posted:

the twirling spear one that does horrible damage and not much else.

It's actually a guard move that can deflect projectiles. :ssh:

Cowcaster posted:

I may be mistaken, but it seems like these moves also inherit boot damage if you're wearing boots, so they're just another move you can do to be a kung fu badass.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about the Train

I heard there was a easter egg tied to sitting in a chair. Is there a specific one? I've got the camera zoomed in and half expecting a jump scare as I'm not sure what I'm waiting for :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Slightly annoyed that an item that is used in so many cooking recipes is only obtainable from a single enemy type at a fairly low droprate.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

One thing I noticed if you had a glitched file (started pre 1.02 patch and upgraded) is the lighting was hosed up in the "blood moon" hall way in the Silent Garden. And it looks right in a good file.

Even if that room is just a filler room, it's very :black101: and I love it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about the Train

I heard there was a easter egg tied to sitting in a chair. Is there a specific one? I've got the camera zoomed in and half expecting a jump scare as I'm not sure what I'm waiting for :v:

You didn't wait long enough. You'll know when to stop.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Technique inputs using the analog seem unreliable, but I've had zero issues since switching to d-pad. Switch Pro on PC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I forgot you could change Miriam's hairstyle

this game is so good

I can't wait for the real costumes to get added

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That’s happened to me on my pc a few times. Just some audio hitches and some engine stuttering that lasted a few seconds. It only happened twice and in different places.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

okay where am I supposed to be going in the Forbidden Underground Waterway after beating the vampire lady? I can't go underwater and there's nowhere else to go

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zereth posted:

okay where am I supposed to be going in the Forbidden Underground Waterway after beating the vampire lady? I can't go underwater and there's nowhere else to go

you need to get the shard from the jellyfish things. it'll let you jet around in the water but not actually walk around. you gotta navigate using that and get to somewhere else where you'll get the ability to walk underwater.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Phantasium posted:

You didn't wait long enough. You'll know when to stop.

Oh haha, got it to show up. What a goofy secret. I'm thankful that it only took 2 of them to get his soul, would be annoying otherwise I imagine.

Downside is I got so flipped around exploring that I have no idea where to go and my map is looking pretty complete :v: I just got the bad ending a few minutes ago but now I'm just wandering around filling out map squares. I think I'm at like 75% or something.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

Kill a jellyfish monster until you get its soul. It has a 10% drop chance so it won't take long, but

it's dumb.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I double dipped and bought the PC version after deciding I couldn't live with somewhat spotty framerates. Glad I did, because after a couple of hours this is a strong GOTY candidate for me.

It also features the greatest death sound in the history of video games. Sounds like it could be from a Monty Python skit, but in a good way! Just adds to the charm this game has!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrEArbNx8Wk

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH I'M SO MAD!"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anime Crystal Vampire Killer 2k19: GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I wish all the music in this game was just SotN tracks but played in reverse.

Including I Am The Wind.