Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Back in the mid-90's I scoured the T.V. guide for new cartoons, since there always seemed to be an ill-fated show that would run for a year or less and get cancelled. I got up at like 4 a.m. when I found out about the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon airing first-thing after paid programming. I sleep in on principle now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

FilthyImp posted:

RBD was just soooooo blatantly commercialized that it was hard to buy in. That and it just wasnt as relatable.

I don't remember much about Rebelde itself. I think it was one of the last big telenovelas of its kind because it was the mid 2000's and most kids were gravitating more towards kids cartoons. Around that time, my friends and I were more into Fox Kids anime like Digimon and Beyblade.

Anyway, that one was mid 2000's, so to move back a bit into 90's, there was a kids telenovela called Serafín in 1999. I just found out that in 2001 they made a movie based on it. The animation is even worse than I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A3m3ukzDP8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grammarchist posted:

Back in the mid-90's I scoured the T.V. guide for new cartoons, since there always seemed to be an ill-fated show that would run for a year or less and get cancelled. I got up at like 4 a.m. when I found out about the Ruby Spears Mega Man cartoon airing first-thing after paid programming. I sleep in on principle now.

Why is the robot dog in a sexy pose in the eye catch?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's just a regular "sassy supersmart robot dog" pose comkon to the 90s why are you sexualizing it you being yiffy weirdo.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Cartoon Man posted:

Look guys, Vanilla Ice explains it best:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLo4Z_LWu4

It’s not the same!

At the time everyone thought this was absurd but I have to say, looking back I think he was absolutely right. Obviously it samples that one measure, but Ice Ice Baby is very much not the same song as Under Pressure. However good or bad it is, it is it’s own thing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Thermos H Christ posted:

At the time everyone thought this was absurd but I have to say, looking back I think he was absolutely right. Obviously it samples that one measure, but Ice Ice Baby is very much not the same song as Under Pressure. However good or bad it is, it is it’s own thing.

I think the absurdity is the fact that the legal dispute was over lack of permission for the sample, not whether it was a different song. Obviously, it was a sample. So his defense was simply irrelevant. It would be like getting pulled over for drunk driving and defending yourself by saying "I'm over 21!" That's why you leave it to the lawyers. (Not that he didn't also use lawyers, I'm sure he did.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thermos H Christ posted:

At the time everyone thought this was absurd but I have to say, looking back I think he was absolutely right.
He said it in a really dumb way and would have been better served talking about the culture of rap and hip hop leading to reinven--- hahahahahaha yeah right like he knew any of that poo poo.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Why is the robot dog in a sexy pose in the eye catch?

A good question to which I never sought an answer. Rush basically seemed like a sassy Scooby Doo in the cartoon.

I caught like two episodes back to back before I decided it wasn't for me. One of these involved ancient humanoid Lions entombed near Pearl Harbor rising from their graves to convert humans to their cause with ray vision. The original settlers of Hawaii apparently kicked their rear end pretty hard with nothing but melee weapons, but the lion abominations drat near conquered the planet until Mega Man found his way out of a rope net.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

I caught like two episodes back to back before I decided it wasn't for me.

Same, except change “decided it wasn’t for me” to “found it to be deeply disappointing.” It didn’t help that I was probably out of the target age demographic anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grammarchist posted:

A good question to which I never sought an answer. Rush basically seemed like a sassy Scooby Doo in the cartoon.

Yea, that makes sense, but he should be trying to eat a big sandwich or wearing a hawaiin shirt, not in a "I've been waiting for you :wink:" pose

EDIT I have an op for the early 2000s thread written up by all the image links are broken, and I'm not sure how to fix them.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Jun 19, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hILCw66sLU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I never watched telenovelas while I was in Mexico, but you know what I watched the poo poo out of? Lucha Libre, especially AAA. Mid 90s AAA was the loving poo poo to me, especially since none of the adults let the kids watch it so we would watch in secret. Watching things like Los Gringos Loco (Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr) fighting against El Hijo de el Santo was like crack cocaine to an excitable young me. Also the cause of far too many injuries because of course my cousins and I tried to fight each other using lucha moves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There hasn't been a telenovela dealing with lucha yet and I think that's an untapped market.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FilthyImp posted:

There hasn't been a telenovela dealing with lucha yet and I think that's an untapped market.

Does Lucha Underground count? It's the only wrestling I've ever watched but it has at least one zombie and one dragon in the cast

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Does Lucha Underground count? It's the only wrestling I've ever watched but it has at least one zombie and one dragon in the cast

Lucha Underground actually involves a lot of really good wrestlers from the Mexican scene, its one reason why I can't stop watching.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Lucha Underground actually involves a lot of really good wrestlers from the Mexican scene, its one reason why I can't stop watching.

Ahem...one Zombie/Unstoppable Murder Golem, one Dragon, one time-traveling spaceship who is also a wrestler, one wrestling Aztec God who's unfathomably strong (seriously, Jeff Cobb is amazingly physically strong)...oh, and one female ghost manager.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It's too bad Hogan is a garbage person, because that's a hell of a promo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wacky Delly posted:

It's too bad Hogan is a garbage person, because that's a hell of a promo.

Sadly, by wrestling standards, he barely registers.

But yeah, that may be my favorite heel turn of all time, just for him finally acknowledging the southern audiences didn't like his act.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

If you can't tell from the smallish picture, her bra thing there is zippered pockets.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ralph Crammed In posted:

If you can't tell from the smallish picture, her bra thing there is zippered pockets.

I'll always associate this with Venture Bros.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6yZq-clWhI

great song

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

twistedmentat posted:

Can I say that the video for Praise You is one of the most overrated video of the 90s? Its not clever, its just boring and annoying. It's the 12oz Mouse of Music Videos.

I think it got recognition and acclaim because it bucked the trend of late 90's videos. Everything else at the time were these big-budget, mini-movies. "Bye. Bye Bye," "Backstreet's Back," "California Love", "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems," etc...

So then suddenly there's this mostly unheard of musician (at least to the casual music listener, i.e. prime MTV watcher) with this tiny little video of a community dance troupe shot in a mall on your dad's camcorder.

I'm not saying that made it good, just that it made it stand out.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it got recognition and acclaim because it bucked the trend of late 90's videos. Everything else at the time were these big-budget, mini-movies. "Bye. Bye Bye," "Backstreet's Back," "California Love", "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems," etc...

So then suddenly there's this mostly unheard of musician (at least to the casual music listener, i.e. prime MTV watcher) with this tiny little video of a community dance troupe shot in a mall on your dad's camcorder.

I'm not saying that made it good, just that it made it stand out.

The music video is better once you realize the main leader of the dance group is for some reason Spike Jonze, the director (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Her).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Jonze

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I recognized him in the music video from the Three Kings movie. Which is also a really 90s stylish mtv-style movie.

"We three kings be stealing the gold!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TeamJesus posted:

The music video is better once you realize the main leader of the dance group is for some reason Spike Jonze, the director (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Her).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Jonze

its probably because he directed the music video

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Brett Hartdad is a cool dad.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
And then Goldberg forgot to pull one kick and crushed his brain.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pneub posted:

And then Goldberg forgot to pull one kick and crushed his brain.

He could have recovered from that, but he kept wrestling and getting more concussions, and welp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just got a sudden nostalgia reminder of Fun World. It was an amusement park next to Flea World in Sanford with an arcade, go-karts, mini golf, and fairground rides that opened in 1990. The arcade was like a who's who of all the best early and mid-90s arcade games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OOP-1WHSKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6aMdA8y7oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W9juT-4aP0

It closed in 2013 and everything was auctioned off, with Flea World following shortly after. It was mostly riding on nostalgia for its heyday (virtually nothing changed), but it was mainly closed because the guy just got tired of running it and wanted to do something else. The bulldozed lot is still empty and paperwork hang-ups are preventing the shopping plaza and office space they wanted from opening.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Fun World the one on the Defunctland YouTube channel that killed a bunch of people?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe,but I know Action Park did

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe,but I know Action Park did

That's probably what I'm thinking about. Though killer theme parks seem more 80s than 90s.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Action Park’s most infamous water slide:

Here’s the best article on it:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/536412/action-park-water-park-oral-history

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

That's probably what I'm thinking about. Though killer theme parks seem more 80s than 90s.

Definitely Action Park. As far as I know Fun World never had any incidents major enough to hit the news. It had maybe a dozen rides at most?

Action Park is required reading for anyone with even the tiniest interest in theme parks, amusement parks, water parks, etc. It's practically American history and it always gets crazier every time you unearth a new story.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Even though they started in the late 80s, Ill always associate Messiah with the 90s techno scene, and I totally played them when I did crap college radio shenanigans.
https://youtu.be/Xx1g8ikTE6k

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Grammarchist posted:

Born in 85 and grew up in a small, rural-ish community that didn't have cable service, so Saturday morning cartoons were all I had throughout the 90s.

So the idea of a whole TV network devoted to cartoons 24/7 blew my child mind. So whenever I visited my sisters (who moved a couple of hours away from home), I would binge-watch Cartoon Network as much as I possibly could, because they had a decent cable package.

Irony is I wouldn't get AOL until 2002-2003ish, because I needed internet and that was the cheapest I could find at the time. Things got better, though :unsmith:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
This song came on at Walmart tonight and holy poo poo I had forgotten all about it. I remember my best friend was OBSESSED with Fastball in middle school.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Fastball is inextricably linked with this band in my mind and I’m not sure why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

chitoryu12 posted:

Definitely Action Park. As far as I know Fun World never had any incidents major enough to hit the news. It had maybe a dozen rides at most?

Action Park is required reading for anyone with even the tiniest interest in theme parks, amusement parks, water parks, etc. It's practically American history and it always gets crazier every time you unearth a new story.

I was lucky enough to grow up in north Jersey in the 80’s and 90’s and got to go to Action Park on a small number of occasions. We would always hear stories of injuries and people flying off the Alpine Slide to their doom, and while I didn’t come out crippled or dead, I do remember the alpine slide being scary as poo poo when it got going fast and riding the brakes for most of the way down. I also remember how COLD the water was when you jumped into the pool from the cliff or Tarzan swing.

By the time I was old enough to go I am sure it wasn’t as completely batshit bonkers as in its heyday, but it still felt like a lawless place compared to Six Flags. This feeling was not eased by the fact that at least once my friend’s mom took us there and just dropped us off to come get us later, leaving us totally unsupervised in that place before we were teenagers.