Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't know, I've also heard that about James Gunn too.

I've just seen that Gunn is doing SS for sure and maybe JL2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine Abrams being your silver bullet.

It sorta petered out with the sequels, but the Star Trek reboot was pretty big at the time, and he revitalized Mission Impossible.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

And he's been Lucasfilm's guy to re-launch the Star Wars franchise and guide it to a close.

Like, as hit-or-miss as Bad Robot's collective output has been, he's proven himself to be worth the money you put out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He's a competent director and a great producer and I be they are hiring him for the latter.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, this seems like one of those announcements that won't do much for anyone who's already reading the comics, but which will get a lot of eyes on them from outside the usual pool of fans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

blast0rama posted:

And he's been Lucasfilm's guy to re-launch the Star Wars franchise and guide it to a close.

Like, as hit-or-miss as Bad Robot's collective output has been, he's proven himself to be worth the money you put out.

I somehow completely forgot he was behind new Star Wars too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/ronchronchronch/status/1141712971422457856

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I've just seen that Gunn is doing SS for sure and maybe JL2.

He's also back on GotG3, so doing more Marvel is back in play for him too, depending on how he feels about The Mouse at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martinpale posted:

He's also back on GotG3, so doing more Marvel is back in play for him too, depending on how he feels about The Mouse at this point.

Dude can live the dream, work for whichever side he wants. Know Gunn he's gonna easter egg a reference crossover in there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I generally hate Ramos but this variant for House of X rules

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would say it's incredibly poor form to compare some kid you're not familiar with to a legit real sociopathic monster just because they both have famous dads.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hasn’t there been a few people that have used their famous dads name to get a comic gig? Stephen King’s son, maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hasn’t there been a few people that have used their famous dads name to get a comic gig? Stephen King’s son, maybe?

No, Joe Hill made his name as an author before anyone knew he was King's son.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

No, Joe Hill made his name as an author before anyone knew he was King's son.

It was the entire point of having a pen name!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If memory serves someone else blew the secret, he didn't want to be known as King's son.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Quite a few kids of famous people have used their parents name to otherwise get their foot in the door in industries. It's not a unique thing, nor does it always work out.

I'm reminded of when Richard Donner wrote an arc on Superman. I remember that they were really good stories.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

X-O posted:

I would say it's incredibly poor form to compare some kid you're not familiar with to a legit real sociopathic monster just because they both have famous dads.

nepotism is okay as long as they're the right kind of rich kid

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Autism Sneaks posted:

nepotism is okay as long as they're the right kind of rich kid

You can be critical of nepotism without making the comparison to a piece of poo poo like Max Landis just fine.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Nepotism isn't good. It's a thing in almost every society known to man, but that doesn't mean we have to like that. I am not going to judge the work itself before reading the comic, because it might turn out alright, yet that does leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

X-O posted:

You can be critical of nepotism without making the comparison to a piece of poo poo like Max Landis just fine.

I took the tweet to be more along the lines of 'oh boy, let's not ever give the job to someone who might actually be qualified or, lord forbid, a woman or person of color or someone who has been working at for years. Let's just give it to the unqualified little kid instead."

But that's just me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

I took the tweet to be more along the lines of 'oh boy, let's not ever give the job to someone who might actually be qualified or, lord forbid, a woman or person of color or someone who has been working at for years. Let's just give it to the unqualified little kid instead."

But that's just me.

The "great timing" tweet is definitely a reference to Max Landis.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

If I remember correctly, Nicolas Cage's son traded on his dad's reputation to get people looking at his indie comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, Nicolas Cage's son traded on his dad's reputation to get people looking at his indie comic.

It didn't work, since I didn't even know Nic Cage's son wrote a comic(not sure if I knew Nic Cage had a son).

Hopefully Marvel got all the scripts already, anyone remember what happened last time one of the creators of Lost wrote a mini for Marvel?

quote:

Publication date December 2005 to May 2009
No. of issues 6

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ozzie Osborne's son used his dad's fame to get a comic published which turned out to be composed of as of yet unpublished in America issues of Death Note. He then tried to claim they ripped him off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nic Cage's son is named Kal-El.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cage has made a good decision in his entire life.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Ozzie Osborne's son used his dad's fame to get a comic published which turned out to be composed of as of yet unpublished in America issues of Death Note. He then tried to claim they ripped him off.

i thought that was Gene Simmons' son

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

September solicits

https://www.newsarama.com/45706-marvel-comics-september-2019-solicitations.html

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

quote:

The most shocking and incredible comic of 2019 is here

I'm sure Cadaverous will be an important new character in the Marvel Universe and this series will be as fondly remembered as BATTLE SCARS

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Stryfe better update his motherfuckin' Strike Files because CADAVEROUS is coming to town and nothing will ever be the same

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Who the gently caress are Sword Master and Aero?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

IUG posted:

quote:

The first ever Chinese superheroes created by the Marvel franchise made their online debuts this week on the website of NetEase, one of China’s leading internet technology companies.

Sword Master and Aero are the central characters in two new online comics designed to attract more fans in China and across East Asia. The former made his debut on Wednesday, while the latter made hers the following day, both on 163.com.

While the pair exist in the modern world and their storylines are heavily influenced by Chinese culture, they will also interact with other characters from the Marvel universe, NetEase said in a statement.

That fantasy world is home to such globally recognised names as Spider-Man, Iron Man and the Hulk, to name but three.

lmao thank you for using QQ

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Stryfe better update his motherfuckin' Strike Files because CADAVEROUS is coming to town and nothing will ever be the same
Is Cadaverous a hunter or prey?

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I hope being dead for years didn't marr his descriptive touch. Cadaverous better be ready for some white-hot jagged shards of hate!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

IUG posted:

didn't we do this exact thing during the last solicits

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

didn't we do this exact thing during the last solicits

I went through like 5 different revisions of my post explaining it before getting it right please don't make me do it again i can't

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man is ending with #12. That's a bummer.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sammyv posted:

I hope being dead for years didn't marr his descriptive touch. Cadaverous better be ready for some white-hot jagged shards of hate!

aw man according to the Strike Files on hate, the absolute worst way to receive it is from white-hot jagged shards!!

R.I.P. Cadaverous, your name was in a thesaurus

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

- and his name is Cadaverous.

-

- It means "dead" or "dead-like." He's gonna be, like — okay, what's the last thing you want to see happen to Spider-Man.

-

- No. Dying. See, the thing with Cadaverous, is that he is, like, death in some way.

-

- I didn't ask him. He's a smart kid, though, he was reading in, like, kindergarten.

-

- Probably books. Definitely whole words, his mother never told me about sentences in her excitement. I trust my family.

-

- Well, I do too. Thank you.

-

- The idea is like, Spider-Man is really good at crime-fighting! And web-slinging! I love the guy. Pete. He's relatable because after he does that he's like sheesh and eats a pizza.

-

- Ha ha ha yeah a little sarcastic, like Han Solo. Like "can you believe it?" But you believe it. But Han Solo is like, it's okay not to believe it, a little, because it's crazy.

-

- No.

-

- So I want to see what if he's making jokes but then a guy comes up who's, like, death. Well and I mean my son helped me with this idea, too. Obviously. Partial credit. Cadaverous. This guy, he's gonna kill Spider-Man.

-

- I know! And that's why it's scary. What if the ultimate good guy was against the ultimate bad idea, which is death. Cadaverous.

-

- You know those books, "Official Marvel Universe Handbook"? We got them off the internet.

-

- Oh, well, they're neat. They have all this poo poo you probably don't care about but anyway, there's no Cadaverous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait for Cadaverous to end in wherever it is the other created in a spider-book sensation, Alpha, is nowadays if he’s still alive.