Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ninth attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

seems someone hasn't gotten the message

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boiled Water posted:

Ninth attempt

well, it's been 11 years since they launched android, by google's standards that's positively staid

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol my favourite thing is when they drop a service and it's the first time i've even heard of it
lol they just announced they were shutting down Trips (their travel booking/comparison/planning site) and my first reaction was "google had a travel booking/planning/comparison site?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as a non-american half the poo poo they kill off never even existed in my country and i assume that's the case for the entire rest of the world that isn't us of a

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i liked youtube fuckoff edition

youtube can't play with the screen locked anymore and all apps that do it are banned
to unlock this feature, pay us money and be in one of these countries, or gently caress off

aces

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol my favourite thing is when they drop a service and it's the first time i've even heard of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

youtube can't play with the screen locked anymore and all apps that do it are banned
to unlock this feature, pay us money and be in one of these countries, or gently caress off

aces

tying unrelated features to subscription services that are only available in some regions is some quality poo poo, for sure

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

infernal machines posted:

as a non-american half the poo poo they kill off never even existed in my country and i assume that's the case for the entire rest of the world that isn't us of a

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

one day i hope someone is able to prove that killing off gmail is somehow a financial benefit

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

lol they just announced they were shutting down Trips (their travel booking/comparison/planning site) and my first reaction was "google had a travel booking/planning/comparison site?"

you will be shocked to learn that it's different from Google Flights (a flight booking/planning/comparison service)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it's very different because that wasn't Google trips purpose at all, it just scraped your email to create an itinerary for trips. it didn't work very well and you couldn't edit the itineraries so if you booked outgoing and return flights separately they would be separate itineraries or sometimes you would end up with one itinerary to a layover city and a separate one for the actual destination

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
google trips was cool and good and the replacement (a new web page in google search?) is completely missing the point that it got you all your itinerary details offline, which is kind of useful if you’re travelling abroad and don’t always have a data connection.

maybe it wasn’t perfect but it worked for me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
google trips doesn't even have weather at destinations in the app it's so bare bones it's basically a piece of paper with your flight number written on it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rapeface posted:

google trips doesn't even have weather at destinations in the app it's so bare bones it's basically a piece of paper with your flight number written on it

lol, look at this guy expecting a google service to be integrated with other google services

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol it didn't even integrate with calendar. i thought it could at least pull my manual, local event location data and build out a rudimentary travel plan.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

google trips was cool and good and the replacement (a new web page in google search?) is completely missing the point that it got you all your itinerary details offline, which is kind of useful if you’re travelling abroad and don’t always have a data connection.

maybe it wasn’t perfect but it worked for me
This just made me think of something: Google is the main force behind the push behind web standards for PWAs, and Chrome has been getting all the APIs really quickly, right? But does Google even have any PWAs?

It would seemingly make sense to make the Trips page a PWA to fill in this functionality, unless they really just don't give a poo poo and are just replacing the app with the most minimal thing that they can point to claim they are replacing Trips rather than killing it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mystes posted:

This just made me think of something: Google is the main force behind the push behind web standards for PWAs, and Chrome has been getting all the APIs really quickly, right? But does Google even have any PWAs?

It would seemingly make sense to make the Trips page a PWA to fill in this functionality, unless they really just don't give a poo poo and are just replacing the app with the most minimal thing that they can point to claim they are replacing Trips rather than killing it.

everyone implementing chrome-only support for their web page is doing free labor promoting the web browser from the world's largest advertising company

even the current round of "PWA" branding for web pages that load megabytes of js and an ugly font feels very google-y

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

everyone implementing chrome-only support for their web page is doing free labor promoting the web browser from the world's largest advertising company

even the current round of "PWA" branding for web pages that load megabytes of js and an ugly font feels very google-y
I don't think the APIs are chrome-only, and I don't really understand what PWAs have to do with pages loading megabytes of js and ugly fonts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

aces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puu7PkN2tKU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ComputerWorld: Google's officially done making its own tablets

quote:

Here's an interesting little nugget of info to chew on: Google's decided to step away from its self-made tablets and focus instead on the laptop form.

To be clear, Google hadn't actually announced any tablet-specific products this year; the last such item that made its way to the market was the Pixel Slate in 2018. But, as I learned today, the company did have two smaller-sized tablets under development — and earlier this week, it decided to drop all work on those devices and make its roadmap revolve entirely around laptops instead.

A Google spokesperson directly confirmed all of these details to me. The news was revealed at an internal company meeting on Wednesday, and Google is currently working to reassign employees who were focused on the abandoned projects onto other areas. Many of them, I'm told, have already shifted over to the laptop side of that same self-made hardware division.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when did google make a tablet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when did google make a tablet?

they made approximately 3 pixel tablets running chromeos

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Endless Mike posted:

i assume that's counting number shipped, not number sold

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soricidus posted:

i assume that's counting number shipped, not number sold

number manufactured. they were used strictly as demo units

actually bull guy in dyp probably has one

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

speaking of tablets, is there a tablet available that through some combination of dongles can output an HDMI signal? specifically one that supports a mainstream app store, so not a switch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the apple ipad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i forgot about those (like everyone else)

that was part of their will they/won't they about chromeos replacing android as a tablet os.

turns out they won't (make a tablet os)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

can you point me to the dongle that enables this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fun fact: it runs it's own little macos variant right on the adapter!

quote:

Airplay is not involved in the operation of this adapter.

It is true that the kernel the adapter SoC boots is based off of XNU, but that’s where the similarities between iOS and the adapter firmware end. The firmware environment doesn’t even run launchd. There’s no shell in the image, there’s no utilities (analogous to what we used to call the “BSD Subsystem” in Mac OS X). It boots straight into a daemon designed to accept incoming data from the host device, decode that data stream, and output it through the A/V connectors. There’s a set of kernel modules that handle the low level data transfer and HDMI output, but that’s about it. I wish I could offer more details then this but I’m posting as AC for a damned good reason.

The reason why this adapter exists is because Lightning is simply not capable of streaming a “raw” HDMI signal across the cable. Lightning is a serial bus. There is no clever wire multiplexing involved. Contrary to the opinions presented in this thread, we didn’t do this to screw the customer. We did this to specifically shift the complexity of the “adapter” bit into the adapter itself, leaving the host hardware free of any concerns in regards to what was hanging off the other end of the Lightning cable. If you wanted to produce a Lightning adapter that offered something like a GPIB port (don’t laugh, I know some guys doing exactly this) on the other end, then the only support you need to implement on the iDevice is in software- not hardware. The GPIB adapter contains all the relevant Lightning -> GPIB circuitry.

It’s vastly the same thing with the HDMI adapter. Lightning doesn’t have anything to do with HDMI at all. Again, it’s just a high speed serial interface. Airplay uses a bunch of hardware h264 encoding technology that we’ve already got access to, so what happens here is that we use the same hardware to encode an output stream on the fly and fire it down the Lightning cable straight into the ARM SoC the guys at Panic discovered. Airplay itself (the network protocol) is NOT involved in this process. The encoded data is transferred as packetized data across the Lightning bus, where it is decoded by the ARM SoC and pushed out over HDMI.

This system essentially allows us to output to any device on the planet, irregardless of the endpoint bus (HDMI, DisplayPort, and any future inventions) by simply producing the relevant adapter that plugs into the Lightning port. Since the iOS device doesn’t care about the hardware hanging off the other end, you don’t need a new iPad or iPhone when a new A/V connector hits the market.

Certain people are aware that the quality could be better and others are working on it. For the time being, the quality was deemed to be suitably acceptable. Given the dynamic nature of the system (and the fact that the firmware is stored in RAM rather then ROM), updates **will** be made available as a part of future iOS updates. When this will happen I can’t say for anonymous reasons, but these concerns haven’t gone unnoticed.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh the adapter that costs 50 dollars, compresses the video, and stopped working with ios12, and even if it did work wouldn't support Netflix. next time save me the time and just tell me to go gently caress myself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

please do the needful

pretty much anything that has usb-c and android will work with a usb-c to hdmi dongle

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

speaking of tablets, is there a tablet available that through some combination of dongles can output an HDMI signal? specifically one that supports a mainstream app store, so not a switch

anything and a mother freaking chome cast my dude

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
unless its for The Enterprise in which Case... some insanely complex Dante install... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

anything and a mother freaking chome cast my dude

man I love my chomecast but this would be for travel so I want something that doesn't require wifi

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

man I love my chomecast but this would be for travel so I want something that doesn't require wifi

i think u can connect directly to the chome cast w/out fighting the captive portal idk. dc ur chome from ur wifi & test

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i forgot about those (like everyone else)

that was part of their will they/won't they about chromeos replacing android as a tablet os.

turns out they won't (make a tablet os)

i have a chromeos tablet tho not a google one. for what i use it for which is reading library books its fine but for anything else especially anything requiring the keyboard its not fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fun fact: it runs it's own little macos variant right on the adapter!

lmao, all of this justification is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

if all you're doing is making GBS threads video over a cable, a surface go and whatveer usb-c to hdmi dongle that has the highest amazon reviews should work. anything that doesn't have a windows app will have a website

windows 10 sucks as a tablet os, but not so much it can't be overcome for simple use