Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Was hoping people would jump on the Revengeance Dimitri Train but it looks like Edelgard’s popularity is still too powerful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Was hoping people would jump on the Revengeance Dimitri Train but it looks like Edelgard’s popularity is still too powerful. :(

Punished Dimitri is powerful, as is Chinstrap Claude, but neither of their houses have Petra or Dorothea so my decision was predetermined.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh also in my hypothetical thracia remake I'd put the final chapter in a courtyard so it's an outdoor map

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Punished Dimitri is very cool but so is Evil Overlord Edelgard so I understand those who are sticking with the Eagles. I think at this point all the houses have enough good character designs and plot hooks among them that they all make a sensible choice.

Though, I am a bit curious about how many people changed their mind about their choice after the timeskip trailer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Punished Dimitri is very cool but so is Evil Overlord Edelgard so I understand those who are sticking with the Eagles. I think at this point all the houses have enough good character designs and plot hooks among them that they all make a sensible choice.

Though, I am a bit curious about how many people changed their mind about their choice after the timeskip trailer.

I've been team Edelgard since day one and no eyepatch will ever change that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im a simple woman. i hear aoi yuuki, i pick aoi yuuki.

i like hilda and raphael too, and deer seem like the least popular house (esp. after punished dimitri made people like lions more) and im a hipster. im hardcore enough fe that ill do all three routes within the first like, month, of the game being out, but the route you do first will probably influence how you look at other stuff in the game even just subconsciously, know what i mean. like how when i was a kid i never used my lords so geitz still registers in my mind as this hidden secret character even though i dont think ive done a run that got me wallace in like a decade.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 20, 2019

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I still like team deer, they have some great designs and Claude himself is a beautiful man, but drat, I want to know Dimitri’s deal like now.

Don’t really care about the eagles except for Dorothea, who has an awesome hat

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lmao if you don't pick team deer

the only thing eagles have going for them is HAT and petra who'd want to be lead by some alice in wonderland queen

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Geitz feels like your reward for using a couple mediocre units a bunch. Like if Karla was actually good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some post timeskip designs' in game models. Spoilers, natch.

Looks like Bernadetta, Ashe, Lorenz, Hilda, Caspar, Felix, Lysithea?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m happy that post timeskip gives them variety. It solves a lot of the issues I had with the designs feeling same-y because of the uniform.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m happy that post timeskip gives them variety. It solves a lot of the issues I had with the designs feeling same-y because of the uniform.

really the timeskip is a stroke of genius, it solves basically every single quibble people were having.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

They'll be varied long before the timeskip in their models, because they'll be wearing class outfits instead of school uniforms.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

only in battle, assumedly you're not going to have the heavy knights CLONK CLONK CLONKing around in school

given the appeal of them tho, I'm surprised Hilda seems to lose her twin-tails. Lystitheiaisiea's hair color also is different, but the lighting in general is weird so maybe it's just that. Or it's a fake out and one of the characters introduced post-skip, but I doubt it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

What if Dorothea lost her hat in the war

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
then the game is dead to me

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the black eagle fans are going to have egg on their face

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

rannum posted:

What if Dorothea lost her hat in the war

I will cry

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it’s probably cool if some of the characters get distinct design changes following the timeskip.

Dorothea should replace her hat with a different hat imo.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Dorothea should replace her hat with a different hat imo.

"Underneath my hat... is another hat!"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I wonder if the artist started with the timeskip designs, then worked backwards to give them younger appearances for school. Might explain why the school designs were a bit underwhelming for a lot of characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gluten Freeman posted:

I wonder if the artist started with the timeskip designs, then worked backwards to give them younger appearances for school. Might explain why the school designs were a bit underwhelming for a lot of characters.

They were probably developed side-by-side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-timeskip designs were intentionally made a bit 'plain' in order to give a base for growth and development from them. Plus the uniforms in themselves kinda limit designs.

Also, big spoilers related to the leak - post-timeskip lysithea does disprove that she 'dies in every route pre-timeskip.' could be that they rewrote stuff or she dies in most routes and the guy was just mistaken about her dying in the golden deer route. it did seem off to me that she'd die in the golden deer route when you could have invested heavily in her and it'd leave the deer down a character. who knows though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

only in battle, assumedly you're not going to have the heavy knights CLONK CLONK CLONKing around in school

given the appeal of them tho, I'm surprised Hilda seems to lose her twin-tails. Lystitheiaisiea's hair color also is different, but the lighting in general is weird so maybe it's just that. Or it's a fake out and one of the characters introduced post-skip, but I doubt it.
I think Lysithea just has a veil on, it's not purple hair. If you look you can see the gold at the end of the fabric.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

They were probably developed side-by-side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pre-timeskip designs were intentionally made a bit 'plain' in order to give a base for growth and development from them. Plus the uniforms in themselves kinda limit designs.

Also, big spoilers related to the leak - post-timeskip lysithea does disprove that she 'dies in every route pre-timeskip.' could be that they rewrote stuff or she dies in most routes and the guy was just mistaken about her dying in the golden deer route. it did seem off to me that she'd die in the golden deer route when you could have invested heavily in her and it'd leave the deer down a character. who knows though.

Was there a second leak? I don't remember that spoiler

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Was there a second leak? I don't remember that spoiler
No, thanibomb said that if you look at the summary of all his posts, it's just that nobody really commented on it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

When the game is out it'll be interesting to see how much of the leak was either changed since then or completely misremembered. Or had intentionally wrong things sprinkeled throughout.

Honestly I'm surprised it turned out to be real in the first place!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

rannum posted:

When the game is out it'll be interesting to see how much of the leak was either changed since then or completely misremembered. Or had intentionally wrong things sprinkeled throughout.

Honestly I'm surprised it turned out to be real in the first place!

I’m surprised they showed the timeskip as a big selling point at E3, though I guess it was necessary to quell the naysayers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's one of the core selling points of the game in my mind, not just a plot twist. It makes sense it got revealed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's like reverse children.

We knew about children in Fates beforehand, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Clarste posted:

they dropped kanna in famitsu like, a few weeks before release iirc?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's one of the core selling points of the game in my mind, not just a plot twist. It makes sense it got revealed

Yeah it's like literally half the game and adds more weight to your choices. It also just feels where the actual story gets going? All the school stuff focuses on the fluff with some plot on the fringe. Even what seems to be the end point for your time at school is more jovial than sad. We'll meet together right here, 5 years later. A fun class reunion.
Hard smash to WAR

Clarste posted:

I don't believe so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m surprised they showed the timeskip as a big selling point at E3, though I guess it was necessary to quell the naysayers

Edelgard’s whole “don’t forget me” thing from the first trailer already had me thinking a timeskip would be happening at some point. I was kinda expecting it to be revealed a bit earlier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I assume the pre-release hype train for FE4 revealed the timeskip but not the details, same as we're getting here

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
how would they have handled all that for FE4 anyway

since seliph is the one front and center of the boxart, but you can still see sigurd behind him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

how would they have handled all that for FE4 anyway

since seliph is the one front and center of the boxart, but you can still see sigurd behind him

i imagine they said 'there'll be a timeskip where you get to play as the kids! some characters from generation 1 will return with updated designs!' and show finn, but no details

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i imagine they said 'there'll be a timeskip where you get to play as the kids! some characters from generation 1 will return with updated designs!' and show finn, but no details

and probably some teases like "You now play as Seliph, but what happened to Sigurd...?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody repost the images with Byleth's and Edelgard's possible classes? I can't find it again :(

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

they dropped kanna in famitsu like, a few weeks before release iirc?

We didn’t find out about kids until people with review copies stumbled across them

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kids were revealed via magazines one week before its Japanese release, yeah.

https://serenesforest.net/2015/06/18/marriage-fire-emblem-fates/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Didn't they also heavily bury the time travel plot of Awakening before release as well.

Pretty sure Lucina was "Marth" in most marketing material.