Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like Rival Schools a bunch, both the video game and band!

You might find that Manic Compression leans a bit toward the slightly more "poppy" sound (if you want to call it that) of Rival Schools where Slip is just THIIICCCCCCCCCCCCK.

Compare:

Slip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzF66hDkFs

to

Manic Compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmvbiuzMcWs

Both are way more heavy than the Rival Schools albums though and highly recommended.

Those CD's never left my car for that whole decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been listening to a bunch of old rock lately. Where do I start Rory Gallagher and Bruce Springsteen?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Where do I start ... Bruce Springsteen?

Two ways you can go about it:

If you want to jump right into an amazing album, then Born To Run is my answer, with the 2nd best option being Born in the USA. Then I'd say go back and listen to his other albums from that era.

The preferred/best way would be to go through 1973-1987 chronologically, from Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ to Tunnel of Love. That's a run of 8 albums; plenty of variety but without compromising quality.

If you'd rather have a one-stop peek, The Essential Bruce Springsteen is fine, but it's missing some of my favorite songs, like "Backstreets".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

I've been listening to a bunch of old rock lately. Where do I start Rory Gallagher and Bruce Springsteen?

Born to Run is by far the most essential Bruce album and has three of the most undeniably great rock songs of all time. After that I would go with its jammier predecessor (The Wild, The Innocent...) and its darker successor (Darkness on the Edge of Town).

Born in the USA is worth listening to and it's his best selling album, but it can get pretty mixed responses due in large part to the extremely dated production. It doesn't really sound like anything else in his discography.

After all that, if you're converted to the cult of Bruce, come back to us for where to go next.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Greetings from asbury Park is the good one. The rest are dumb.

Edit: and the demos for that album are better than the actual album. Springsteen messes stuff up in the studio.

Edit 2: the old live boxed set might be the correct answer here.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 12, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For Rory Gallagher, I'm no expert but he was pretty consistent. You can probably go more or less chronologically, though if you're really just in it for the guitar heroics, Irish Tour '74 is great.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Junpei posted:

I re-listened to some pop-punk songs I liked when I was a preteen because I thought they were 'edgy' and 'rebellious' and 'cool'. They're still a little cringy, but they actually hold up a little. But they're mostly singles. So, do blink-182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte have anything worth listening to on the albums via deep dive?

I think Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch still hold up pretty well, both musically and in terms of not being completely embarrassing to listen to lyrically. Lots of juvenile humor and all, but like... what else would you expect? I did a little revisit of a bunch of my old CDs not too long ago, and their lyrics are definitely a LOT less troubling than a lot of the other stuff I was listening to at the time (looking at you, The Ataris)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Man, the 90s were such a terrible time for punk rock in retrospect. Garage punk was where all the quality and creativity went - TJSA, New Bomb Turks, Oblivians, Teengenerate. All the hair dye pop punk and Boston-style crossover hc stuff from that era aged horribly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Terminally Bored posted:

Man, the 90s were such a terrible time for punk rock in retrospect.

OTOH, Sleater-Kinney's albums Call The Doctor and Dig Me Out came out in the 90s. (Along with other albums but those are the only two I'd label firmly as punk)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, forgot about femi-punk, lots of great stuff there.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Jawbreaker holds up well. Just pop-punk enough, but still really, really solid. First Jets to Brazil album is worth checking out as well. Blake is a great lyricist and songwriter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I remember Discount doing some good stuff around that time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I recommend Pegboy. Poppy but not oversly so, melodic as hell.

Also, Dillinger Four.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Greetings from asbury Park is the good one. The rest are dumb.

Edit: and the demos for that album are better than the actual album. Springsteen messes stuff up in the studio.

Edit 2: the old live boxed set might be the correct answer here.

The live 75-85 box set is almost entirely beat by the official release of the Hammersmith `75 show, imo.

Springsteen is entirely one of those artists I'm likely to spend a page and a half detailing his ups, downs, important eras and starting points, but I am just frankly too tired to do so right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

The live 75-85 box set is almost entirely beat by the official release of the Hammersmith `75 show, imo.

Springsteen is entirely one of those artists I'm likely to spend a page and a half detailing his ups, downs, important eras and starting points, but I am just frankly too tired to do so right now.

That’s why I told him to come back after the easy stuff! Don’t want to intimidate the newbies now.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I tried Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town, and I'm starting to think the Boss isn't my thing. :ohdear:

I'll make sure to revisit these albums though, they feel like they get better the deeper one dives in.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Siivola posted:

I tried Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town, and I'm starting to think the Boss isn't my thing. :ohdear:

Nah, it’s kinda corny stuff. Try the first one though. It’s alright.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

I'll make sure to revisit these albums though, they feel like they get better the deeper one dives in.

You could try Nebraska, the go-to Bruce album for people who don't like him. It's demo quality folk stuff that's really dark.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

My mom was obsessed with Bruce when I was growing up. She still is. He is someone I respect but most of his albums are not my thing. Too cheesy. Too overproduced. Too long. Etc.

As such, if you feel the same as me, I say give Tunnel of Love a try. I feel it has aged extremely well and benefits from all the cheesy overproduced sounds that bother me on the other albums.

It’s got filler, but it’s interesting in all its flawed glory

Edit. And Nebraska. That one is good too

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't remember if I asked this previously, but what about The Tragically Hip?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

hexwren posted:

I can't remember if I asked this previously, but what about The Tragically Hip?

Up To Here and Day For Night are my favorites.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Up To Here and Day For Night are my favorites.

Trouble at The Henhouse for me

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Recommendations for other (any?) EBM bands that have the aggression and punk intensity of Youth Code.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

Recommendations for other (any?) EBM bands that have the aggression and punk intensity of Youth Code.

Not EBM necessarily but you can try out L.O.T.I.O.N.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMMtNf2OE8

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Youth Code (for me) took a lot of influence from the early Nitzer Ebb records. You might check out That Total Age or Belief. 3TEETH might tickle your fancy as well, although I find them sort of one note. Front 242 while more danceable is also a legacy artists that might scratch that itch.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some essential glam/hair metal albums if I just did a deep dive of Motley Crue's discography and loved it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Kvlt! posted:

What are some essential glam/hair metal albums if I just did a deep dive of Motley Crue's discography and loved it?

You're gonna get buried with recs, from people much more knowledgeable than me, but one that I think gets terribly overlooked is Dokken - Back for the Attack

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I haven't bought a hip hop album in literally decades and I feel like this is a huge blind spot in my musical tastes. So: Kanye.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

regulargonzalez posted:

I haven't bought a hip hop album in literally decades and I feel like this is a huge blind spot in my musical tastes. So: Kanye.

You can basically trace 2000s hip-hop through his body of work since he's typically either capitalizing on trends or starting them. So you can really pick pretty much anything since (in my opinion) it's almost all great (his last one was whatever, though). Yeezus might be a bit abrasive for a newcomer, though. MBDTF is the consensus masterpiece, and quite accessible, so it's as good a starting point as any. My pet Kanye album is Graduation, not because it's necessarily better than his others, but because it's a bit shorter (50 minutes) than most of his albums and more laid-back.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

regulargonzalez posted:

IMO start from the beginning, his discography doesn't dip below a solid 9/10 until The Life of Pablo or ye depending on who you ask. It's also fun to kind of see his progression as an artist and a person.

Also if you care to do a deep dive into My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, there's a podcast called Dissect that explains the context of pretty much everything and it made me appreciate that album even more.

edit:

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeezus might be a bit abrasive for a newcomer, though.
As a big metal fan, Yeezus is what got me into Kanye (and thus hip hop as a whole) so it's not that bad of a place to start depending on who you are.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 20, 2019

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

internet celebrity posted:

As a big metal fan, Yeezus is what got me into Kanye (and thus hip hop as a whole) so it's not that bad of a place to start depending on who you are.

Yeah, that's true, I have no idea what angle he's approaching this stuff from. I appreciate it for the same reasons.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ha for context I mostly listen to post-rock, opera, edm, riot grrrl / fem punk, Big Black, and 80s indie-ish stuff. I'll probably start from the beginning as suggested unless his first album or two are lower quality than the ones right after.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Start from the beginning like people said. All of his albums are at best good and interesting through Yeezus, and I think most people would agree that at least Dropout and MBDTF are stone cold classics (I'd put 808s in there as well). If you also find a list of the top 4-5 hip hop songs for each year you can give those songs a listen and watch them magically start to follow Kanye's trends, usually with a bit of lag.

I also just wanted to point out that a lot of Kanye's influence and success, at least early on, was his production work for other people. I've known quite a few people who "can't stand Kayne" who then would tell me how much they love, for instance, any of these songs:

Jay-Z
Talib Kweli
Common (honestly the entire Be album is basically the Common/Kayne Watch the Throne collab)
Twista
Royce da 5'9
Lil' Wayne
Kid Cudi (also the Kid Cudi/Kanye Kids See Ghosts album from last year is the best thing Kayne has done since Yeezus IMHO)

This list could and probably should be longer, but you get the idea. Love him or hate him, he is one of the most influential musicians of the century.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 20, 2019

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Kanye is without any doubt the most overrated rapper of this century, his lines are bad to mediocre. He's a good producer, though.

Also a nazi enabler:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/987696355341553665

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
To avoid a really dumb derail... Where should someone start with krautrock? I know Can's Tago Mago is regarded as a masterpiece by fans but is it a good place to start/does it exemplify the genre well?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

To avoid a really dumb derail... Where should someone start with krautrock? I know Can's Tago Mago is regarded as a masterpiece by fans but is it a good place to start/does it exemplify the genre well?

Krautrock is a really wide genre style-wise so I'd recommend reading the fantastic Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope first.

If you just want some albums then:
Faust Tapes
The first three Neu! albums

Tago Mago is awesome but it goes heavily into mindfuckery in the middle (20 minute improv-explorations) and the best starting point for Can would be Ege Bamyasi.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know a lot about krautrock, but I do know that Amon Düül II's Phallus Dei is pretty drat good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Krautrock is a really wide genre style-wise so I'd recommend reading the fantastic Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope first.

If you just want some albums then:
Faust Tapes
The first three Neu! albums

Tago Mago is awesome but it goes heavily into mindfuckery in the middle (20 minute improv-explorations) and the best starting point for Can would be Ege Bamyasi.

Krautrocksampler has a lot of factual errors as well as Julian Cope's sort of annoying opinions in it because he's a burnout. anyway it's kind of weird to say that he should avoid tago mago because of the 20 minute long improv when that's half the appeal of listening to krautrock in the first place and it's a great album.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is there more to Smash Mouth than Shrek memes? Is there an actual band under all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Junpei posted:

Is there more to Smash Mouth than Shrek memes? Is there an actual band under all that?

No.

They might have had a few good singles, and maybe their first album is worth listening to, but there really isn't much depth to their catalog. They had a few hits, but they're all in a similar style. All Star might actually be the song that sounds the most different and not just a 60s garage rock revival.

Get a greatest hits if you want more.