Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you should talk about things that you like.

Talk about things that do a bad job in serving a good purpose.

I've said this before but there are good design goals buried in 3.5 / Pathfinder that the facile suggestion of "just play 4E" or "just play Dungeon World," however well intended, do not serve any better (and sometimes worse) than those games do.

The hard part is identifying those things and drawing them out from all the more objectively quantifiable failures, like how utterly useless CR is as a measure of difficulty, feats that serve no purpose except to trap the unwary, the fact that it's even possible to play a non-caster PC, and so on.

FMguru posted:

P&P is a perfect example of why games need developers. I'm sure the whole thing made perfect sense to the designer, but its a completely baffling nonsense mess to anyone who isn't him. It's a real heartbreaker - it's clear he had a vision for what he wanted (and it wasn't just "AD&D plus a decade of my group's house rules"), and he put a lot of work and effort into it, it's just incredibly badly communicated.

I've never heard of this game but based on your description, it sounds like it would also be a fantastic topic for a similar kind of analysis.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never heard of this game but based on your description, it sounds like it would also be a fantastic topic for a similar kind of analysis.
Fortunately it's available for free on powersandperils.org :)

Some guy even put a 2nd edition together for it which incorporates errata and not much else.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

Rolemaster, too.

C&S is interesting because it has many of the signs of a fantasy heartbreaker, but it also has a clear vision of what it wants to be, namely an SCA-specific version of D&D, with a more detailed and "realistic" combat system (based on experience in SCA melees and bouts) and a more specific and accurate Medieval European setting of the sort familiar to SCA members (instead of D&D's lightly implied mishmash of Vance and Lieber and Moorcock and Howard and Tolkien and etc)
Early C&S pretty explicitly declares what it considers the central problem of D&D to be: namely, that it doesn't offer a social context for the PCs to exist in, and characters without a social context are missing an entire essential dimension.

In fact, I'd say a good chunk of the 1970s fantasy heartbreakers constitute various attempts to solve the "no social context" problem in D&D. Empire of the Petal Throne does it by grafting on Tekumel, which is awesome but constituted way too deep and idiosyncratic of a background (and the actual EPT 1st edition rules don't really engage with the background that deeply save for magic and treasure, since they're an eccentric riff on OD&D). C&S overcorrects by going for a setting drawing heavily on Medieval Europe, but massively overestimating how much information you actually need to bake into the game to arrive at the sense of verisimilitude it's after. Finally, RuneQuest shows the world how you actually bake setting assumptions into a game system (particularly with the way you're enticed into investing in cult membership for magic), as well as finding a level of setting description which is light enough that it isn't daunting whilst being rich enough to deliver a lot of flavour.

It's notable that once the 1st edition AD&D DMG comes out, it included a whole bunch of details on building quasi-medieval societies, and the design space shifted away from looking into ways to marry setting to rules and more into finding more robust rules (BRP/RQ 3rd Edition generalising RQ's skill system, for instance, or early Rolemaster essentially saying "What if AD&D, only you have a more consistent resolution mechanic for stuff?").

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
To me, the missing context of D&D characters is less setting, and more that there's no room for characters to have any kind of hooks into the setting, whatever it is. Even Exalted's extremely threadbare Resources/Retainers/Hearthstone backgrounds do more. It doesn't help, of course, that prewritten adventures generally have the baked-in assumption that characters have exactly zero attachments to keep them from wanting to move across the country, take a caravan to China, or whatever.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Roadie posted:

To me, the missing context of D&D characters is less setting, and more that there's no room for characters to have any kind of hooks into the setting, whatever it is. Even Exalted's extremely threadbare Resources/Retainers/Hearthstone backgrounds do more. It doesn't help, of course, that prewritten adventures generally have the baked-in assumption that characters have exactly zero attachments to keep them from wanting to move across the country, take a caravan to China, or whatever.

I think it's starker in the core OD&D booklets, where there is a dungeon and a hexmap wilderness and that's literally all that's defined of the world. I don't really disagree with you, mind, though I think "social/setting context" and "hooks into the setting" amount to the same thing - if the characters don't have those hooks then the setting isn't a society they live in, it's a painted backdrop for their adventures to play out against.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Roadie posted:

Weapons of the Gods does the 'integrate characters into the world and its history and lore' better than any other game. Pity the dice system is so awful.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Warthur posted:

Did he poo poo his pants in Chik-fil-a, which would imply he got inside the store somehow (perhaps partaking in a secret "chicken lock-in" party and stuffing himself with chicken direct from the fryer), or merely at Chik-fil-a, which would imply he was just in the general vicinity (perhaps desperately pounding on the door demanding that they let him use the bathroom).

The original rumor said it was in the Circle Center Mall Chick-Fil-A, so we’re talking about a food court situation. Perhaps he was leaning back against the drop down cage when the alleged making GBS threads occurred? I don’t know! There’s no proof that isn’t exactly what happened!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The way 13th Age used backgrounds for skills also does a good job of integrating characters with the game world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

In fact, I'd say a good chunk of the 1970s fantasy heartbreakers constitute various attempts to solve the "no social context" problem in D&D. Empire of the Petal Throne does it by grafting on Tekumel, which is awesome but constituted way too deep and idiosyncratic of a background (and the actual EPT 1st edition rules don't really engage with the background that deeply save for magic and treasure, since they're an eccentric riff on OD&D). C&S overcorrects by going for a setting drawing heavily on Medieval Europe, but massively overestimating how much information you actually need to bake into the game to arrive at the sense of verisimilitude it's after. Finally, RuneQuest shows the world how you actually bake setting assumptions into a game system (particularly with the way you're enticed into investing in cult membership for magic), as well as finding a level of setting description which is light enough that it isn't daunting whilst being rich enough to deliver a lot of flavour.
I noticed most of the heartbreakers in Edwards' original article (and others reviewed by System Mastery) are guilty of this. Darkurthe, Of Gods and Men, Legendary Lives, and Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All all make you roll for a medieval profession. Most of these also have some kind of Piety score and a more-or-less fiddly system for tracking it and determining the odds of miracles and divine wrath.

Fantasy Imperium really takes the cake; it strives for *~Historical Fantasy Role Playing in Medieval Europe~*. It makes you roll for social class and profession. It has a complex and fiddly system for piety and prayers, including specific benefits depending on whether you're praying to God the Father or the Trinity or the Virgin mary, because it takes it for granted that Christianity is the true religion. It gives an extremely Judeo-Christian and Islamophobic history of the Western world from ancient Greece to the Schism of 1054. It does insane poo poo like take ancient sources at their word (The death toll of the Siege of Jerusalem was over a million), believes common canards (no one minted coins for centuries after Rome fell), blames everything wrong with the Catholic Church on a Satanic conspiracy, and begins its section on Islam with "The history of Islam is a river of blood."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 21, 2019

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent
That doesn't sound Judeo-Christian. That just sounds Christian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah FI sounds like it'd have some uncomfortable handling of Jewish content.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

friendlyfire posted:

That doesn't sound Judeo-Christian. That just sounds Christian.

To be fair, when people say 'Judeo-Christian' they usually just mean Christian anyway.

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Mors Rattus posted:

To be fair, when people say 'Judeo-Christian' they usually just mean Christian anyway.

Yes. I wish they'd stop.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fair. It's pretty bad.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah FI sounds like it'd have some uncomfortable handling of Jewish content.

Fantasy imperium was a dogshit game made by a man whose brain does not process reality in the same way as everyone else. The author tracked me down about a bad review I wrote too. Never made any real trouble for me but still.

I went to a game shop in Santa Monica, I cant remember the name, and it warmed my heart to see multiple copies of the FI corebook being used as structural support for bookshelves. Apparently the guy finally realized that both he and his product were abject failures and dumped boxes of the corebook off.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I say Judeo-Christian because it promulgates that weird sort of history where Roman emperors are evaluated as good or bad based entirely on how friendly they were to Jews and/or Christians. And it only discusses Jews in the context of saying that Islam (and the odd secular monarch like Ferdinand II) is evil and committed atrocities against the Jewish people. It's very strange in that regard.

The Inquisition is blamed on a Satanic conspiracy that infiltrated the Church, and to which most secular monarchs belong.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 21, 2019

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
When most people say "Judeo-Christian" they actually mean "just the white people".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A distressing number of Christians only care about Jewish People in as much that rounding up enough of them in the holy land is supposedly the cheat code that activates the rapture.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Weapons of the Gods does the 'integrate characters into the world and its history and lore' better than any other game. Pity the dice system is so awful.

i love weapon of the gods but is there a way around having everyone have to read half of the core book and make notes during chargen because it sounds inpossible to do

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

i love weapon of the gods but is there a way around having everyone have to read half of the core book and make notes during chargen because it sounds inpossible to do

Yes, but it requires you to play Hearts of Wulin or Tianxia instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheArchimage posted:

When most people say "Judeo-Christian" they actually mean "just the white people".
Wait, you mean these "Western chauvinists" handing out flyers in my neighbourhood don't appreciate Simon Bolivar?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hey now! WotG has its issues but I'll not hear any slander against the dice system. Matching up sets is fun!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sage Genesis posted:

Hey now! WotG has its issues but I'll not hear any slander against the dice system. Matching up sets is fun!

It's a bitch to do with a VTT system.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's a bitch to do with a VTT system.

Oh. I've never played with a VTT, I wouldn't know. But that does sound plausible.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Warthur posted:

I think it's starker in the core OD&D booklets, where there is a dungeon and a hexmap wilderness and that's literally all that's defined of the world. I don't really disagree with you, mind, though I think "social/setting context" and "hooks into the setting" amount to the same thing - if the characters don't have those hooks then the setting isn't a society they live in, it's a painted backdrop for their adventures to play out against.

I think part of this is the wargaming background from which OD&D was written, where the game doesn't exist to provide the context, the game exists to facilitate an existing context. You're interested in gaming out a pseudo-historical battle between Castile and Cordoba, and you can use Chainmail for this. Chainmail doesn't need to establish the entire historical context of the rise of Islam, the Umayyad conquest of Spain, and the Reconquista, because that's what the players bring with them: Chainmail just provides the rules for soldiers and horses crashing into each other. I think there's a half-formed, unwritten, possibly unconscious assumption behind OD&D that the players will have a context, and the rules are just there to let them play heroic tomb raiders and real estate developers in the context of their choice.

(This is of course somewhat at odds with the very specific assumptions about magic and monsters made, but if there's one thing OD&D is not it's consistent.)

There aren't lists of weapons and armour from wildly divergent historical periods and geographic locations because D&D is a world where all these somehow coexist, but because D&D needs to support play in all the divergent historical periods and geographic locations. (The Rules Cyclopedia gets outright explicit about this, with equipment divided by historical period.)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

There aren't lists of weapons and armour from wildly divergent historical periods and geographic locations because D&D is a world where all these somehow coexist, but because D&D needs to support play in all the divergent historical periods and geographic locations. (The Rules Cyclopedia gets outright explicit about this, with equipment divided by historical period.)

I don't know anything about OD&D but in 2nd edition Advanced D&D it's like this, too. There's a chart of what weapons are available to you based on time period and culture. There's a giant page with several different cultures political/religious titles, I think it even listed the word for money in several different languages.

I remember in particular one full page drawing that depicted two Greek soldiers carrying a third into a temple while an old man in a toga watched. It showed young-me that D&D wasn't only meant to be played in Tolkien-esque European fantasies. I still have that book somewhere.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
WFRP has some fun handling of the societal context thing by having most of the entry careers explicitly be pretty mundane and boring, with just enough quirks to hang some character traits off (small but vicious dog, etc), and the second and onward careers are where you get the "cool" stuff. I feel like you could get a similar effect in D&D but you'd need to create a lot of of 3-level classes or whatever to represent the "mundane" start.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mandatory 3 levels of a martial class before you’re allowed to be a caster :v:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mode 7 posted:

I see you've played D20 Modern

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

No, no, it's 3 levels of mystical apprentice who has status condition-inducing incense but no spells or weapons.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Beyond the Wall does a great job of creating a social context for the PCs as a D&D game by having you create your village and backstories as a group and having that play into your characters stats.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

I've flipped through my PDF of the Cyclopedia, and I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. The equipment is in big old lists, and the default campaign setting is Mystara, which is very much a kitchen sink setting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Advanced D&D in specific seems to have been where they got the idea of "use this for any fantasy world!" In particular 2nd leaned on this heavily, and with 3rd it got extended into "use the d20 system for everything!"

That has been dialed back since, 4th was very much "this is about dungeon heroics", though with 5th you do see a lot of "let's use this for random concept I have" due to its popularity.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greg-Staffords-Office-RuneQuest-Movie-Script-Chaosium/133089597802?hash=item1efcc2196a%3Ag%3AbOEAAOSwmgVdCXb%7E

Turns out there was a runequest movie in the works. It was in the financing stage but Conan came out and took all that heat. Also apparently the script wasn't great but what did you expect.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Emrikol posted:

I've flipped through my PDF of the Cyclopedia, and I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. The equipment is in big old lists, and the default campaign setting is Mystara, which is very much a kitchen sink setting.

Yeah, my mistake. I was thinking of AD&D 2e, which operates with the categories Ancient World, Dark Ages, Medieval, and Renaissance.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah, my mistake. I was thinking of AD&D 2e, which operates with the categories Ancient World, Dark Ages, Medieval, and Renaissance.

Was that in the core or are you thinking of the Combat and Tactics guide. Because I know thats in the latter but I think its just a big table again in the core. I really loved Combat and Tactics when 2nd edition was my only game. 3E felt very familiar to me because of that book when it came out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Maxwell Lord posted:

Advanced D&D in specific seems to have been where they got the idea of "use this for any fantasy world!" In particular 2nd leaned on this heavily, and with 3rd it got extended into "use the d20 system for everything!"

That has been dialed back since, 4th was very much "this is about dungeon heroics", though with 5th you do see a lot of "let's use this for random concept I have" due to its popularity.

That 'lets use this for random concept I have' is the brain-sick musings of people who have never been exposed to any other system and refuse to leave the comfort of their mud hovels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Liquid Communism posted:

That 'lets use this for random concept I have' is the brain-sick musings of people who have never been exposed to any other system and refuse to leave the comfort of their mud hovels.

The OGL's shadow is long and dark.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

remusclaw posted:

Was that in the core or are you thinking of the Combat and Tactics guide. Because I know thats in the latter but I think its just a big table again in the core. I really loved Combat and Tactics when 2nd edition was my only game. 3E felt very familiar to me because of that book when it came out.

You're both kinda right. It's a big table that sorts all equipment into four time periods, plus a paragraph or so of text about each period. Page 53 in the AD&D 2E DMG. There are also notes in the PHB on certain pieces of equipment like the arquebus, advising players that they may only be allowed in specific settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Can we please not have this sort of thing, when the actual reason most people only use 5th ed is because they got introduced to it through Critical Role and don't really care about mechanics.