Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ibblebibble posted:

Last night I found out that Siren with MNK is hilariously easy. Killed her before her phase change.

Chumping ArcheoAvis with them is even better, so look forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I'm liking this new running gag

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

mp5 posted:

I'm liking this new running gag

Apparently I missed a few things by only checking in like every couple of days, what's this gag about.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bufuman posted:

Apparently I missed a few things by only checking in like every couple of days, what's this gag about.

Lenna loves poison.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Have an extra-enthusiastic BUTES for the pile!

There's nothing sadder than a dead mini.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I put in an all jobs code after Dragon Plant because gently caress me that was a slog. No AoE to speak of and my mages were on Esuna duty 75% of the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jade Rider posted:

I put in an all jobs code after Dragon Plant because gently caress me that was a slog. No AoE to speak of and my mages were on Esuna duty 75% of the time.

Dragon flowers are open to literally everything. Sleep 'em, confuse 'em, whatever.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Should I grind !Rapidfire on my Monk or just saddle them with nonboosted !summon for the entire game? I'm already going to have them grind eqBow for double Killer Bows against a couple bosses.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Does anyone have FFV hacking experience? How hard would it be to make movers give 999 AP?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DalaranJ posted:

Should I grind !Rapidfire on my Monk or just saddle them with nonboosted !summon for the entire game? I'm already going to have them grind eqBow for double Killer Bows against a couple bosses.

I think so. Buy a bunch of golden needles and go hang out in Castle Bal for a while. It won't take too long.

ItBreathes posted:

Does anyone have FFV hacking experience? How hard would it be to make movers give 999 AP?

Are you on GBA? If so, you can just exploit the Quicksave feature to run into movers over and over again.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

agradine posted:

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Edit: I will also accept other Good Friends references, in case FRON is more your speed.

Edit2: Apparently I missed the first name-based :toxx:, nothing wrong with coming second!

Butes Run.

Run 2 done. Mystic Knight / Thief / Beastmaster / Ranger

This run was rough at times early on between Sol Cannon being a jerk and I forgot to catch something for bridge greg so he started doing 1000 damage jumps. After getting past that though the rest of W2 and all of W3 was easy besides Omega 'cause beastmaster calmlock doesn't work on him on the SNES. I had to grind up to level 50 to pull the fight off and it still took like 4 attempts. Shinryu wasn't that bad since Beastmaster could still berserk and blind him. NED was a cakewalk after taking out half of him with the lamp and break blade.

Project Demi's pretty nice. Skipping cutscenes and turning off encounters is really useful

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 21, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lenna and Uncle Ramuh kill a robot while everyone nervously sings at it

Anger and illusions trivially defeat some dragon

This rear end in a top hat cactus almost wipes my intensely OP party with a bullshit Grand Cross.

I'm going to do one more, since this was kinda free.

Rolled Samurai, Dragoon, Geomancer... Chemist. I've never been glader that I use the fiesta mod.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Decided to skip Omega since I've done two runs now with White Mage & Summoner.

I did get Two Ragnaroks though. Shame nobody can use them.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I don't remember if this has been posted, but I found this FJF guide.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 21, 2019

pointy corpse
Jul 7, 2014

Any advice on getting monk/summoner/geomancer/dragoon through the crystal fight at moore?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

pointy corpse posted:

Any advice on getting monk/summoner/geomancer/dragoon through the crystal fight at moore?

In Drakenvale, confuse a Poison Eagle (dancing dagger works) to have it Float at least one char (you may hve to use an ether to get its MP up?). Everyone with Summon 3, back row, clothies with Gaia Gear. Summon Golem as needed. Each crystal has 7777 HP and goes nuts under 3k. Your goal is to use Fight / Jump / Titan to bring the top 3 crystals to 3.5kish hp (keep track), wait for everyone's ATB to fill up, and hit them with 4 queued Titans to drop the top 3 at once without them going into the casting phase. Bottom one can be whittled down safely as when he is under 3k he will spam Earth Shaker, which your floating character(s) are immune to.

Personally I'd be lazy and try and work around getting Float if possible, but it effectively ends the fight as soon as the other 3 are dead. If you accidentally get a crystal below 3k, you may be able to salvage the attempt by healing it with a potion or high potion as necessary.

derra fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 21, 2019

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

agradine posted:

[img] https://imgur.com/WGaNJy4 [/img]

Arban fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 21, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

pointy corpse posted:

Spam golem, melee one crystal to just over 3k hp, summon Gaia gear boosted titan, repeat until only earth crystal is left, then use thunder rod boosted ramuh instead. Get float if you really need to

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

I decided to peek ahead. (I am very slow, because Life[tm].)

This looks like encouragement to actually get the Fiesta done this time, I think. Yeeeep.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oh boy this is gonna be umm...well I'm just gonna have to steal 8 twin lances aren't I

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

OzFactor posted:

You're probably going to need to survive at least one Almagest unless you really want to do what A_Raving_Loon is suggesting and try to Break that piece. But honestly it is not worth trying unless you're using save states--it's a very, very low chance to hit. I'm sure by the time I've posted this someone will have done the math and posted it.

Lol trying to grind dancer to 46, and all of the info is in this thread now thanks to Kyro so,

Break is 1.6 + (Level/5)% (so around 6%)
Stoat is 5.4 + (Level/5)% (so around 10%)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've had a really good time, and I want to say a huge thanks to everyone in the discord who helped me to get through this game. It's why I'm real sad to say this run's a bust.

This is my first time ever playing an FF game, and I've got to NED after what the save file is calling 45 hours (probably more). Thief, Time mage, Beastmaster and Samurai are my pulls.

I don't quite know what "matrix" means but apparently being on the version of the game I'm in means I can't use the dragons to hurt NED like I was hoping to. Also surviving long enough to inflict the 19 gil tosses it'd take to kill NED is just not going to happen, even with a team that survives almagest. Meteor does even less damage than gil toss so that's out. Everyone's over level 40 so I can't capture a crystal monster to protect everyone. Grinding for insane levels or just continually running at the boss until it turns up the right fight just doesn't sound like fun.

I might come back next year and try on a ROM, but this year's experience has been kinda weird. It's been huge fun talking to everyone and learning about this game, which is a lovely game. However, this has left a sour aftertaste.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just a reminder that if you're reflecting a team against Omega that the healing number shown from Atomic Fires is a lot less than it really is:eng99: Damnit...

Here's another fun fact, confusing a zombie doesn't make the zombie attack enemies or anything like that. How you'd confuse a zombie I'll leave as an exercise for the reader (the answer is not tofu brains}.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MagusDraco posted:

Oh boy this is gonna be umm...well I'm just gonna have to steal 8 twin lances aren't I

I was gonna be all "actually you only need 6 because mimes don't have universal equipment access like freelancers do," but then I double checked and it turns out mimes can in fact use the thief weapons. Huh, weird.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

derra posted:

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

:toot:

My first ever sub 100 run.

Black/Mystic/Ranger/Knight is basically mono damage. Having consistent multi-target skills throughout the game was a really nice change of pace.
Rapid fire mystic knight was the solution for nearly every world 3 encounter. I did mess up and died to NED when chicken knife tried to flee three times in a row.

I guess this also technically fulfills Ritznits toxx, but my previous run also did that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

pointy corpse posted:

derra's plan is pretty foolproof, although I'll add that one of the Gaia spells in there will Slow them and that can give you some breathing room if you accidentally tip the scales a bit too far.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've had a really good time, and I want to say a huge thanks to everyone in the discord who helped me to get through this game. It's why I'm real sad to say this run's a bust.

This is my first time ever playing an FF game, and I've got to NED after what the save file is calling 45 hours (probably more). Thief, Time mage, Beastmaster and Samurai are my pulls.

I don't quite know what "matrix" means but apparently being on the version of the game I'm in means I can't use the dragons to hurt NED like I was hoping to. Also surviving long enough to inflict the 19 gil tosses it'd take to kill NED is just not going to happen, even with a team that survives almagest. Meteor does even less damage than gil toss so that's out. Everyone's over level 40 so I can't capture a crystal monster to protect everyone. Grinding for insane levels or just continually running at the boss until it turns up the right fight just doesn't sound like fun.

I might come back next year and try on a ROM, but this year's experience has been kinda weird. It's been huge fun talking to everyone and learning about this game, which is a lovely game. However, this has left a sour aftertaste.

Don't give up! NED is hard, that's just the way it is. Study Mega64's boss guide https://ff5.mega64.net/index.php/bossguide/bg-dr. You have a lot of options:

-The Magic Lamp casting Odin will kill the Magic piece in the back straight up. I've only every played a Matrix version (iOS) and I almost always save this for the very end after the other three pieces are dead to prevent the Meteor barrage.

-It works... strangely... but if you just have your Beastmaster keep whipping the Grand Cross piece (top) you will Paralyze it a lot and sort of reset its timer. It does behave kind of weird and you might still see some GCs but there's a big difference between one of them and four of them.

-Max out the Chicken Knife to 127 Attack Power by running away from stuff and then give it to your Thief and let her Mug.

-Just wail on the Almagest piece with your Samurai (steal a very strong Katana from the samurai guys in the jail area of the Void castle if you haven't already) and your Mugging Thief and let the Time Mage serve entirely as a Haste buffer and Elixir healer while your Beastmaster just keeps flogging the GC piece. Focus down the Almagest piece and you can probably (at your levels) only have to eat one of them. When it's dead, then you can start Quick Meteoring--it'll do a lot more damage to just three targets, and there's no weird dummy targets in this version.

NED is hard and you can just get some bad rolls sometimes. Don't get discouraged.

edit: forgot one - if you're more concerned about rushing down Almagest, give your Beastmaster the Beast Killer whip from the Island Shrine, it'll auto-crit that piece.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 21, 2019

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #1 750risk (Black Mage/Berserker/Bard/Chemist)

I don't know if I met any toxxes (levels are definitely too high for derra's), but that was a nice and easy way to start the season.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Matrix Software is the name of the company that did the recent ports of FF5 on iOS, Android, and the Steam version.

You have a fairly strong team and you've come this far!

If you don't have the Magic Lamp, I think the Samurai's Iainuki ability (the last one you learn) will also straight up kill the rear NED part. But the Magic Lamp is a quick get since once you're out of the rift you can just fly over to Boko and you'll get no fights after that. You also probably want to give your Samurai Time Magic instead of Iainuki.

Because you have a Time Mage, you can liberally use Quick to get extra turns whaling on the Almagest part with your heavy hitters. Having Hastega will also let you use accessories other than Hermes Sandals, like Protect Rings or even Elven Mantles if you want a chance to dodge Physical attacks.

If you need Elixirs to power your MP usage you can get them from chumps all the way back in the Wind Shrine.

Edit: Enkibot tells me you can apparently land Old on the Almagest part, and that would make it completely harmless. But your odds of landing it are pretty low so embrace the yolo if that suits you

mp5 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 21, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

If you want it for GBA, I can make a patch that does that. I also posted a patch that awards Double AP earlier in the thread.

Note that you will NEVER get any kind of extra AP from any code that you find on the internet. All they do is change the AP in the message. This is because AP is coded to formation, not to the enemies.*†

*This is for GBA. I haven't looked into the SNES version, so I don't know if that is also coded this way. I've never touched Steam or Mobile.

†I haven't tested every single code for this, so there might be one that works, especially when you consider the fact that the Oracle has a passive skill that boosts AP gain.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kheldarn posted:

If you want it for GBA, I can make a patch that does that. I also posted a patch that awards Double AP earlier in the thread.

SNES, but it looks like project Demi can do 4x AP for essentially the same result as well as basically everything else I could want. Thanks though.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ItBreathes posted:

SNES, but it looks like project Demi can do 4x AP for essentially the same result as well as basically everything else I could want. Thanks though.

It would probably be pretty easy to suss out a pro action replay code using ZSNES or something to modify the AP per fight

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

It would probably be pretty easy to suss out a pro action replay code using ZSNES or something to modify the AP per fight

Actually unfortunately not, since it's stored as a per-encounter variable.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

Because you have a Time Mage, you can liberally use Quick to get extra turns whaling on the Almagest part with your heavy hitters. Having Hastega will also let you use accessories other than Hermes Sandals, like Protect Rings or even Elven Mantles if you want a chance to dodge Physical attacks.

I've been abusing the quick spell and elixirs. Smacking down specific parts was never on the cards for me. The best damage I could do was throwing cash or firing meteors, so there wasn't an awful lot of weapon attacks. If you've noticed I'm speaking in the past tense it's because.

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1142102835280134151

OzFactor posted:

NED is hard and you can just get some bad rolls sometimes.

For sure. About half of the time he'd cast grand cross directly after almagest and it'd just be all over. In the end the trick was to get a good roll but also to give my time mage the ability to throw cash and then everyone else time magic. Two characters can quick > throw money > throw money everyone else can quick > meteor > meteor or people can quick to do give two actions for revivals or throwing an elixir at someone who needs more MP.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here and everyone in the discord for walking me through this weird game. Also thanks to OFS for mentioning the fiesta to me, and to whoever bought the banner ad for bringing me here in the end.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 21, 2019

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
:holy: :woop: :holy: :woop:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've been abusing the quick spell and elixirs. Smacking down specific parts was never on the cards for me. The best damage I could do was throwing cash or firing meteors, so there wasn't an awful lot of weapon attacks. If you've noticed I'm speaking in the past tense it's because.

https://twitter.com/AzzaBamboo/status/1142102835280134151

For sure. About half of the time he'd cast grand cross directly after almagest and it'd just be all over. In the end the trick was to get a good roll but also to give my time mage the ability to throw cash and then everyone else time magic. Two characters can quick > throw money > throw money everyone else can quick > meteor > meteor or people can quick to do give two actions for revivals or throwing an elixir at someone who needs more MP.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here and everyone in the discord for walking me through this weird game. Also thanks to OFS for mentioning the fiesta to me, and to whoever bought the banner ad for bringing me here in the end.

Nice fuckin job, you did it :)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have vivid memories of playing FF5 on ZSNES and using a cheat that gave the basic nutkin encounter 255 AP. I think you can still run into those guys in the Jachol Cave in both world 1 and 3.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually unfortunately not, since it's stored as a per-encounter variable.

That just means you'd have to do it where there's only one encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

That just means you'd have to do it where there's only one encounter.

More what I mean is, it's loaded into memory when you start a fight, and I don't know of any codes that can do multiplication like that.

A code that says "AP per fight is always 10" is easy. A code that says "multiply AP by four", I have no idea how it'd work.