Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Took off my 5 year old IRC Road Winners (bike sat on dealer lots for 4 years) and replaced em with S20 Evos. Got taught how to use the hydraulic tire changer thing. Feels like I'm glued to the road now. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Got to use a center stand for the first time in my life today and I gotta say, fuckin excellent. Also, I’ve been mentally comparing the oil change on my 40 year old Honda to the one I did on my five year old KTM. One of these bikes ended up with a stripped drain pan bolt and snapped oil filter cover bolts, and had a ton of useless screens; the other was painless and intuitive. The answer may surprise you!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Revvik posted:

Got to use a center stand for the first time in my life today and I gotta say, fuckin excellent. Also, I’ve been mentally comparing the oil change on my 40 year old Honda to the one I did on my five year old KTM. One of these bikes ended up with a stripped drain pan bolt and snapped oil filter cover bolts, and had a ton of useless screens; the other was painless and intuitive. The answer may surprise you!

I have a Duke 390, so to me, the answer is obvious.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Skreemer posted:

I have a Duke 390, so to me, the answer is obvious.

:squints in Austrian:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds like my stupid rotax.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took it out for the first time in ages to fill up with gas, just passed 5,000km on the clocks :toot:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

changed the oil in the 1290SAR and marvelled at still having tread on my shinkos after using them for 8200mi. definitely installing a new rear before I ride to banff, but yeah

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

also murded several hundred bugs riding out to waldo to camp and back over the weekend :D

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
After weeks of dicking around and several other setbacks, pulled the carbs all the way out and going to start cleaning them tomorrow.

But now I know I have spark (at the appropriate time!) and good compression on all four cylinders. Expecting to find carb #3 full of crap, since its the only one not running now.

Also I banged up the intake boot clamps on 2 and 3, going to see if I can straighten them out.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wee or Rex? I've lost track.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

got rid of the lovely DOT signals

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fashioned a crankcase guard out of a Rubbermaid trash bin.

Going to take the CRFX on the WABDR in a week. I figure 500 miles on gravel provides enough of a chance of catching a rock on the engine case big enough to puncture it to add some protection.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

made the ride a hell of a lot comfier for my 6ft passenger

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
New Shinko tires on the GL1000. Tour Masters, which are really cheap but they’ll get me through the year unlike the bald, cracking, 13 year old rubber that had tubes in them?? loving why?

Anyways. Shop told me to give em about a hundred miles of break-in before really trusting them. Already managed that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cleaned the air filters, a surprisingly painless process. Even so, gently caress doing it at the manual suggested interval (every time it rains? :cmon:)

I've got a chain and sprocket set and new oil in the mail too hopefully get those done soonish. Speaking of oil I really need to make a run to the recycling centre soon, I've got like 8 litres of dead oil making GBS threads up the back of my garage (and another 4 in my dad's garage that I never emptied out, whoops!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

Wee or Rex? I've lost track.

Lol I didn't know anyone other than I was keeping track. The Wee's trouble-free this year, this is the Rex. A Wee wouldn't have a carb #3...

So I cleaned all the carbs (didn't bother unracking them this time), found lots of reddish brown poo poo in the float bowls (and the various jets) that dried to sandy beige. Blasted the bejesus out of everything with carb cleaner. The carbs have been rejetted by a PO, it's a Dynojet kit.

Then put them back in the bike, finally having luck with the blockoff plates the zrx forum recommends. (This involves using two strips of sheet metal to go between the carbs and carb boots on either side, so the carbs slide right into place without gouging the rubber. Also flipping the airbox-side boots back on themselves for extra clearance. Really reduces the frustration factor when it works.)

Started it, checked the exhaust headers with a temp gun... All cylinders running. loving finally.

Next is to do the valve shims and replace all the gaskets.

E: oh yeah and the gas stayed inside the bike too, always a bonus

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That reddish brown stuff means you've had water in the fuel at some point.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Still waiting for the clutch plates back from the machinist so I drew up a second draft wiring diagram for the soon to be homemade 12v system on the 1926 Ner-a-Car

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

A Wee wouldn't have a carb #3...

Unless you're prone to breaking stuff!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Unless you're prone to breaking stuff!

redundant array of JIS screws.

Suspension refresh for the pig. Hauled the forks/shock to Superplush for a rebuild, revalve, and respring. new swingarm and steerer bearings were installed while it was apart.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Still waiting for the clutch plates back from the machinist so I drew up a second draft wiring diagram for the soon to be homemade 12v system on the 1926 Ner-a-Car

gonna need some pics of that ner a car

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Got hopelessly stuck in my woods after grossly underestimating how mucky it still is back there. Fortunately, three neighbors rolled by pretty quickly and helped me lift it back onto the trail.

This is the before cleanup picture, I blasted all that muck and mud off before it could set up.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Paid off my '14 636 about 9 months early so I decided to treat myself by finally doing the exhaust/ power commander V/ KN filter job I dreamed of. It's much louder than I thought it would be, I've gotta order the silencer tip or I'm gonna piss all my neighbors off and get too much police attention. Two Bros Carbon Black Full system. Put some Q3+ on about a month ago, these tires are great too, way better than the battlax's I had on before. https://www.twobros.com/collections/sport/products/kawasaki-zx-636r-6rr-2009-2016-full-exhaust-two-brothers-racing

click for huge, shot with an A6000 with 30mm lens at 1.8f and 4.0f

I feel the weight savings more than the extra power, but I pretty much just commute on this thing. I honestly should have just done a slip on but I work with a bunch of car nerds with cool stuff so I had to compensate! Looking to take some classes and start doing track days by the end of the year. Next up is the tail tidy and windscreen imporvements, but I gotta spend some money on the house and lady before I spend much more on myself.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 3, 2019

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Took the throttle and clutch cables off the GL1000 and lubed them with the Motion Pro tool. Personal anecdote: this doesn’t feel like the best designed tool for these particular cables, though it did work. The throttle cables are awkward and almost-but-not-quite too big and just barely have the length to fit in the clamp.

Anyways, far less resistance in the cables I paid attention to. I still have a choke cable, speedo, and tach cable but I ran out of time last night. The throttle tube was the original; what happens when you apply non subtle amounts of force to sun baked, 40 year old plastic? The insert for the throttle push cable snapped on me during reassembly! So I rode in to work today on just the throttle pull.

But the thing feels SO MUCH PEPPIER with smoothly operating cables. It races up to speed now, and shifting fees far less clunky because the clutch is actuating with the lever instead of lagging behind on the pull. I have a replacement throttle tube coming in with some grips but I think they’ll wind up being a stopgap measure until I eventually break down and get another set of heated grips.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Paid off my '14 636 about 9 months early so I decided to treat myself by finally doing the exhaust/ power commander V/ KN filter job I dreamed of. It's much louder than I thought it would be, I've gotta order the silencer tip or I'm gonna piss all my neighbors off and get too much police attention. Two Bros Carbon Black Full system. Put some Q3+ on about a month ago, these tires are great too, way better than the battlax's I had on before. https://www.twobros.com/collections/sport/products/kawasaki-zx-636r-6rr-2009-2016-full-exhaust-two-brothers-racing

click for huge, shot with an A6000 with 30mm lens at 1.8f and 4.0f

I feel the weight savings more than the extra power, but I pretty much just commute on this thing. I honestly should have just done a slip on but I work with a bunch of car nerds with cool stuff so I had to compensate! Looking to take some classes and start doing track days by the end of the year. Next up is the tail tidy and windscreen imporvements, but I gotta spend some money on the house and lady before I spend much more on myself.

Cool bike, terrible framing, B-.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Revvik posted:

Took the throttle and clutch cables off the GL1000 and lubed them with the Motion Pro tool.

I'm in the same boat. Its great for more modern bikes but not wonderful on old Hondas. Half the timeni just wear a rubber gloves, use a filed down straw and pinch it hard to make a seal.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Valve check on drz. All in spec. Lobes don’t look worn. That valvetrainy noise is probably caused by the bigass bored out setup :dings:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Slavvy posted:

Cool bike, terrible framing, B-.

I suck I know, I'm experimenting with the prime lens and not using auto-focus. Also I just took these for my facebook page after using my phone for the overall bike pics, which I figure goons have seen enough of these bikes to need that.

Man I love how this thing sounds when I'm downshifting :hehe:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ADINSX posted:

gonna need some pics of that ner a car
Recently got eBay saddlebags mounted and handlebar cross bar fabricated and attached and rear wheel trued. Waiting for the refurbished clutch plates from the machinist before I can get the transmission back in. Need to get 80% of the wiring harness made (it came with only carbide/acetylene lights when I got it) and then put some miles on it before the big teardown this winter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

(it came with only carbide/acetylene lights when I got it)

Well, that doesn't matter because you're refurbishing and keeping those stock

right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I mean I might have in other circumstances, cause you can still get carbide pellets and use those lights, but this is a Cannonball bike and I need more reliable and visible lights so it's going to be all LED.

Also this bike has two separate brakes with two separate controls but both the brakes are on the rear wheel.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Also this bike has two separate brakes with two separate controls but both the brakes are on the rear wheel.

God I love dumb ancient poo poo like this :allears:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Haha. Ha. Anyone ever do their timing belts and not put the timing interval cover back on when they start their bike? Haha.

That was messy.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

owns owns owns

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pulled everything out of the garage so I could get rid of the stanky old carpet and put down a tarp and finally start taking the ninjette to bits.

The ybr is... ugh I have no loving clue. There's some kind of weird immobiliser thing in it that stops it starting if you're not sat on it. That seems to be on the fritz because regardless of what I did turning the key never seemed to turn the bike on, it just kept flashing the alarm light.

Finally figured out I can bypass it by jiggling the key between off and on, which somewhat reliably gets it to flicker into on mode. So then it'll crank, but not catch. I figure maybe both problems are with the battery, it hasn't been ridden in a while. Get a multimeter on the battery, cold read is 12.5v. I try cranking (no throttle, no choke) and the bike immediately springs to life and idles happily. I remove the multimeter from the battery and the engine dies. :psyduck:

A few more attempts show cranking voltage a bit above 10v, and running voltage at about 12.4v (above idle but not really high revs). I'm completely mystified.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Valve check on drz. All in spec. Lobes don’t look worn. That valvetrainy noise is probably caused by the bigass bored out setup :dings:

Check your cam chain tension? Which I'm assuming you already did since you checked the valves.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Haha. Ha. Anyone ever do their timing belts and not put the timing interval cover back on when they start their bike? Haha.

That was messy.

It has been 400 miles since Saturday’s timing belt change, coolant flush, fork seal swap, and throttle tube replacement / cable tune. One of my fork seals is already hemorrhaging so I guess I DID tear it when I inserted it, and I’ll be redoing those this weekend or next.

No other issues though. Hasn’t jumped time. Engine stays cool after 100+ mile pulls through the countryside in 90 degree humid weather. Feeling kinda good about it overall.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The ZRX: Pulled off the valve cover, checked the valve shims. Many out of spec on the loose side. A couple tight. Tomorrow going to figure out which ones I can switcheroo and how many of what size I need to get. Also, checked my cam lobe heights, and the PO swapped in ZX11 cams. Someone really liked this bike, and then I went and dropped a Weestrom on it.

After the nightmare that is carb extraction, Kawi made the valve check ridiculously easy with the rocker arms that just slide out to the side and then the shim's right there. What's a bucket? Who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I bought a 1978 Suzuki GS750 a couple of days ago. I probably won't be riding it this year, but the price was great. For the most part it is ready to go, but there are a few things that need to be sorted.
However, I wasn't the biggest fan of the fairing and luggage rack.

Sorry for the framing, the barn is full of crap and the lighting wasn't the most conducive to good pictures.

After removal:

It didn't come with the original headlight retainer or front turn signals. I had to order new turn signals, but the head light mount and retainer from the fairing fit just fine.

That wiring harness hanging off the front is the harness that came with the fairing, connecting it to the bike's original harness. I wanted to test the fit of the newer headlight mount to ensure all of the wiring would fit in it without issue before completely removing it.