Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jagged Alliance: Human Resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jagged Alliance 2 until you get proper guns is dismal. (Yet I've played through it like five times because there really aren't many alternatives.)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

i always thought they were super cool but i really only played 4 and origins where they're pretty unobtrusive if you don't like them

e: maybe i should play others, i think i have a few ps4 ones from pre-origins sitting around somewhere

Trap sprung those scenes suck

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

QuarkJets posted:

It teaches you to use more grenades and explosives in general, a good and valuable lesson

Yeah, I was going to say, "doesn't the grenade launcher that you get about then chump them?" The plasma rifle also cut through the shield like butter if memory serves.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I was really too used to having to conserve grenades thanks to other, worse games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

Huh? Is yuppie an old person word now? I still hear it from time to time but admittedly not from teenagers or whatever

They don't exist anymore, as much as they ever did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Huh? Is yuppie an old person word now? I still hear it from time to time but admittedly not from teenagers or whatever

It was the 1980s term for young (white) people who were working professional jobs in *gasp* cities.

Its been 40 years, and now the term is basically meaningless because most jobs are in the cities and thats where young and old people live

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By0AOWGE89U

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

It was the 1980s term for young (white) people who were working professional jobs in *gasp* cities.

Its been 40 years, and now the term is basically meaningless because most jobs are in the cities and thats where young and old people live

Oh, was it? That's interesting, I didn't know that

The way I've heard the word "yuppy" used in recent years is in reference to people who are vaguely narcissistic upper-middle class young adults, which made sense in the context of what the other poster wrote (e.g. pokemon games are for children, whereas Pokemon Go and Detective Pikachu are for young adults with money to burn and a lot of nostalgia). Other yuppy things: geocaching, waiting in line overnight for the next iphone, crossfit, paleo diets (and before that, atkins), buying designer clothing for a toddler, etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yuppie isn't a word I'd expect the latest generation to use, but the word fits and I use it. What word works better? "Hipster?"

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Vakal posted:

Yeah, that sounds rough, but it also kind of makes me want a fantasy version of Jagged Alliance 1/2 where you have to manage a team of mercenaries heroes and look after their contracts, gear and medical costs.

Give Battle Brothers a look if you haven't already.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Yuppie isn't a word I'd expect the latest generation to use, but the word fits and I use it. What word works better? "Hipster?"

'Hipster' turned out to basically be 'Obnoxious young person with money', so pretty much. ('obnoxious' is probably redundant there) Before it turned out they were a loud minority and most young people are broke and pissed.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jerry Cotton posted:

Opinion which is also fact: emulation is always poo poo and people who go on about emulation are doodieheads.

This is old, but playing BotW on emulation is really incredible once you figure out the details of making it run. The fact that I can take that game and make it 4k at 60 fps is crazy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a new study bible! posted:

This is old, but playing BotW on emulation is really incredible once you figure out the details of making it run. The fact that I can take that game and make it 4k at 60 fps is crazy.

J will never trust a person who owns a 4K VDU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Barudak posted:

Yuppy is based off the acronym for Young Urban Professional.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ultrafilter posted:

Yuppy is based off the acronym for Young Urban Professional.

That don't seem too bad.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Slay the Spire's Act IV boss warps the rest of the game and over-rewards the sort of combo-intensive play that's memetic but not engaging or reasonably likely to assemble.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Slay the Spire's Act IV boss warps the rest of the game and over-rewards the sort of combo-intensive play that's memetic but not engaging or reasonably likely to assemble.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Hipster' turned out to basically be 'Obnoxious young person with money', so pretty much. ('obnoxious' is probably redundant there) Before it turned out they were a loud minority and most young people are broke and pissed.

hipsters and yuppies are opposite versions of "obnoxious young person with money"; yuppies take pride in consuming things that they see as popular (craft beer, designer-label yoga pants, the latest iPhone), whereas hipsters imagine that they're "ironically" consuming things that they see as unpopular (PBR, skinny jeans with thick-rimmed glasses, a flip phone or maybe even a beeper)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

yuppies (craft beer, the latest iPhone), whereas hipsters (PBR, a flip phone)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

drat back when i used a flip phone i did it because it was like $50 and smartphones were still just ipods that could dial out

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

drat back when i used a flip phone i did it because it was like $50 and smartphones were still just ipods that could dial out

My mom's scared of change and they had to order some old piece of poo poo flip phone in for her special haha

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

pooch516 posted:

I don't remember them feeling that out of place/annoying, but I basically spent my teenage years playing Halo and those guys are definitely inspired by the Jackals there (right down to the hole in the shield leaves their arm and head exposed for no reason).

IIRC the only other enemies in that area are the zombies, do I guess the shield guys are supposed to remind you that you're supposed to strafe and jump around in this game.

DOOM owns.

:yeah:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

i always thought they were super cool but i really only played 4 and origins where they're pretty unobtrusive if you don't like them

e: maybe i should play others, i think i have a few ps4 ones from pre-origins sitting around somewhere

4 also had the best ones of the bunch. It was a neat premise and could be really creepy at times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

My mom's scared of change and they had to order some old piece of poo poo flip phone in for her special haha

Yeah old poor Boomers all have flip phones and they would always be like "bet you don't see these anymore huh?"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm in my thirties and was the kid who told their parents after growing up that "I'm not doing your drat tech support anymore!". I don't have a smartphone, and won't make a fuss about it, but almost guaranteed someone in the pub (etc) will have their mind blown that people still use bricks.

Tangent: I was in an discussion a few years ago (online) about welfare and reasonable standards of living; and I was the only one who thought that smartphones where NOT part of a staple of goods, such as microwaves and fridges and such, that welfare should aim to bring families up to. That was years ago, and I'm sure that view is even more outspoken nowadays.

Ontopic: The very best games ever made are always labours of love, or for larger projects, are being driven by a single person with a clear vision. I see SO MANY awesome ideas for indie games now, and after you buy & complete the game you realize that the devs kinda just set their sights lower than the moon, reached their goals, released, got paid, then hosed off leaving a mostly-done game collecting dust on Steam. Think Everspace. Then there's stuff like Cogmind where the game was 'done' ages ago, but the dev loves his baby project too much to call it quits and keeps adding new poo poo well above the call of duty. Even if you don't care about those two particular titles, I'm sure everyone's come across the same in their own guilty pleasure of a subgenre.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

hipsters and yuppies are opposite versions of "obnoxious young person with money"; yuppies take pride in consuming things that they see as popular (craft beer, designer-label yoga pants, the latest iPhone), whereas hipsters imagine that they're "ironically" consuming things that they see as unpopular (PBR, skinny jeans with thick-rimmed glasses, a flip phone or maybe even a beeper)

I wear skinny jeans so my pant leg doesn't get ironically stuck in the chain of my fixed gear

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I like when developers release games and dont patch them right away after people start crying on reddit but instead let the community figure out how to counter "overpowered" stuff on their own.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MMOs can actually be fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sorry about your brain tumor.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I like when developers release games and dont patch them right away after people start crying on reddit but instead let the community figure out how to counter "overpowered" stuff on their own.

same but instead of letting the community figure out how to counter overpowered things it's letting the community figure out how to circumvent game-breaking crashes and memory leaks

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Do you mean like theoretically some day somebody might actually make an MMO that's fun? Cause I'm still gonna have to disagree with you on that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I loving love all the "nextgen cancer" postprocessing effects like film grain and chromatic aberration. I want them in every game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ruffian Price posted:

I loving love all the "nextgen cancer" postprocessing effects like film grain and chromatic aberration. I want them in every game.

look if they could put in a nice, conservative filmscratch effect on way of the samurai 5 and give me an over/underexposed monochrome option i will be happy. but this is the only postprocessing i will ever accept, and only in a way of the samurai game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D graphics peaked with Deus Ex and Thief 2 and have been in decline ever since

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

3D graphics peaked with Deus Ex and Thief 2 and have been in decline ever since

In a simlar vein and from what I've read on the internet a broadly insane one - I much preffered Thief 1 to Thief 2

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Serephina posted:

I'm in my thirties and was the kid who told their parents after growing up that "I'm not doing your drat tech support anymore!". I don't have a smartphone, and won't make a fuss about it, but almost guaranteed someone in the pub (etc) will have their mind blown that people still use bricks.

Tangent: I was in an discussion a few years ago (online) about welfare and reasonable standards of living; and I was the only one who thought that smartphones where NOT part of a staple of goods, such as microwaves and fridges and such, that welfare should aim to bring families up to. That was years ago, and I'm sure that view is even more outspoken nowadays.

Ontopic: The very best games ever made are always labours of love, or for larger projects, are being driven by a single person with a clear vision. I see SO MANY awesome ideas for indie games now, and after you buy & complete the game you realize that the devs kinda just set their sights lower than the moon, reached their goals, released, got paid, then hosed off leaving a mostly-done game collecting dust on Steam. Think Everspace. Then there's stuff like Cogmind where the game was 'done' ages ago, but the dev loves his baby project too much to call it quits and keeps adding new poo poo well above the call of duty. Even if you don't care about those two particular titles, I'm sure everyone's come across the same in their own guilty pleasure of a subgenre.

If you liked Everspace you should try Sky Rogue which is the same concept but with more fun fights and which I think is still being updated.

I agree that some of the best games are usually the result of a single person's idea of what the game should be like, or a small team who all have the same idea. There's very few design-by-committee games that I can think of that were good.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 21, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

In a simlar vein and from what I've read on the internet a broadly insane one - I much preffered Thief 1 to Thief 2

Thief 1 had lower lows where they didn't know what works well yet but it was the original so some people like it more, they're both great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Both were great, but I liked Thief 2 better just because it didn't focus as much on the fantasy elements.

Weird that both completely fall apart in their final level though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Stealth games seem to have a lot of trouble with their endgame and escalation in general. Metal Gear Solid tends to devolve into action setpieces hoping you've been using totally optional mechanics and abandoning stealth both in-story and out. Hitman does it best just by presenting you with the most exotic and highly secure environments to intimidate you before you find all the security holes.