Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Pokemon historically breaks down every time it has a nonlinear section. I still remember the 8th gym leader in gold and her complete lack of anything in the area near her in level.

Sure, in Gen 2 that was a huge problem. However, it shouldn't be THAT hard to have a more dynamically levelled zone that reacts to how many badges you have and what your average team level is or something like that on modern hardware. Something like levelled zones out of TES would work, I guess, while still giving you freedom to go all over the place, and pseudo-blocking some areas due to the base level of the levelled zone being 10-20+ levels above you or something like that. GF won't ever do something like that, but I can dream! Dynamic gyms, like that scene out of Origins where Brock only takes 2 of his 6 out for the battle, dynamic trainers, even area hazards would all be neat but far beyond what GF seems willing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

Chronische posted:

Sure, in Gen 2 that was a huge problem. However, it shouldn't be THAT hard to have a more dynamically levelled zone that reacts to how many badges you have and what your average team level is or something like that on modern hardware. Something like levelled zones out of TES would work, I guess, while still giving you freedom to go all over the place, and pseudo-blocking some areas due to the base level of the levelled zone being 10-20+ levels above you or something like that. GF won't ever do something like that, but I can dream! Dynamic gyms, like that scene out of Origins where Brock only takes 2 of his 6 out for the battle, dynamic trainers, even area hazards would all be neat but far beyond what GF seems willing to do.

This is what the rom hack crystal clear does, and it’s honestly pretty ok. It does have issues where you are spoiled by choice and the gameplay being straight gen 2 and thus kinda dated.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Garbage Picking

:smug:

:v: "You then ran back to Cerulean City to beat up a Pokemon half your level!"

:sigh:

I pop over to the grass to the west to make a capture. I thought about fishing up a Magikarp so that I could name it Surf, but that would involve respecting a Magikarp. Also it probably wouldn't be able to learn CUT anyway.

We then open-palm slam a compact disk into its skull.

While we wait for Serf's double vision to clear up, we bag an extra Spearow.

Would I ever! :sever:

I was worried that there's be some tedious shuffling shenanigans moving Serf into the front position, selecting it from the lineup, picking CUT from a menu, et cetera, but it turns out all you have to do is walk up to a tree and CUT it. Usability!

This means the path east out of Cerulean is also now open. I guess this gives us two paths to the city in the east (Fuchsia? I didn't check) but that's not on the menu for today.

Jaws was never my scene, and I don't like Star Wars

We stop in at the babysitter's place to bail Glemy out. He's grown up a bit! Hopefully I didn't miss any skills.

As we're making our way back to Vermilion, The Rock dings level 21, and gets... a choice.

I've never really liked kamikaze-type abilities in RPGs, but it feels like it would be wrong to pass it up. Reasoning that Dwayne is almost immune to lightning already and can just punch any lightning-users to death himself, I replace Mud Sport.

I know I'll regret this, but oh well.

Back in Vermilion...

She'll be back in Vermilion about this time next year.

Great, I guess we'll just wait.

I pay this kid a visit and hand over the Spearow we picked up.

Overlooking the discovery that a person exists who would name their pet Ch'Ding, that's... not really a auspicious look. ("A duck carrying a leek" is a Japanese phrase for an unexpected stroke of good luck; something that tastes good - a duck - shows up with something that'll make it taste even better. In short, our new acquisition may as well have a sign saying "eat me, I'm delicious!")

Our survival-challenged bird is carrying one of these. The idiom doesn't have anything to do with critical hit rates, though. At least as far as I know.

We can now cut down that tree in the way of the Viridian Gym.

That is not a real name. Also, Kaz is one step ahead of us yet again.

Oh right, it's you. (Personally I can't wait for the SaGa twist where this guy turns out to be God and we kill him at the end with a chainsaw.)

People refer to him as the Lightning American!

I wager an embarrassing avatar for myself of the thread's choosing that he will never be referred to as "The Lightning American" again in this game.

Is... is he reading the thread? :tinfoil:

Eh. How difficult could it be?

The two henchmen stand in place and periodically look around them, but does anybody actually sneak past trainers when they play this game?

I wonder if Sailor Dwayne knows the ship left without him?

Also, we've got a Dwayne of our own, who punches out his twin Pikachu's with no difficulty.

He set up double locks everywhere. Let me give you a hint. When you open the first lock, the second is right next to it.

...Traps?

I'll bet! :science:

I expected to get blown up by the Voltorb, but we get a lucky crit that puts it down immediately.

Magnemite is more resilient, but still flammable.

That's what I just said, yes.

Ah, a simple switch hunt.

That's a pretty impressive door, I have to say.

He was a hard taskmaster.

How... how old is Surge, exactly?

No, really. It's bugging me now.

He has a single higher-level Pikachu, but Dwayne flattens it effortlessly.

LT. SURGE was always famous for his cautious nature in the Army.

Pfft, this is a kid's game, how hard can it be to get open?

Pretty lights. No switches here, though.

Apparently these things are trash cans. And hey, I found the first switch already!

One down. This'll be a cinch. Now, if the switches are "next to" each other, maybe they're together in the same can.

:doh:

And then the switch promptly disappears. Well played, game. But all I have to do is look for the switch in another can, right?

:doh:

On the third attempt, I try checking the floor around the trash can with the switch. No luck, though.

:smugjones:

:shepface:

:shepicide:

This goes on for a bit. Each time there's at least two trash cans adjacent to the first switch, but I never seem to be able to find the second switch when I look. I check the floor around the can some more, I check the wall next to the can, I talk to the trainers again. I even lower myself to talking to the front door stalker again. Nothing.

And then, suddenly, it works. I have no idea if the second switch's location is really up to luck, or if I just blundered into the solution without realizing it.

I doubt he has a Starmie, but Surge has nonetheless humbled me before I even reached him. :arghfist::sigh:

Time to face the music, I guess.

:patriot: You won't live long in combat! Not with your puny power!

:corsair: I tell you, kid, electric POKEMON saved me during the war!

I swear to god, the game's deliberately rubbing it in at this point.

YOU ARE NOT THAT OLD GUY'S FORMER CO

His Voltorb goes down in two rock-throws, but has some kind of sonic boom attack that takes a good chunk out of Dwayne.

Next in line is a Pikachu, but a Magnitude 10 one-shots it.

And then... oh. This looks ominous. I'm not sure if The Rock has the strength for this.

There's only one option left.

:black101: NEXT TIME IN VALHALLA! :black101:

A pun for the road. Of course.

You're the real deal, kid! Fine, then, take the THUNDERBADGE!

:woop:

HOLY CRAP THAT'S AMAZ--- oh wait, it's like CUT and we have to wait until we otherwise learn the skill, isn't it.

Hey, now I can... paralyze... people. Yeah, it's definitely deliberate at this point.

Electricity is sure powerful! But, it's useless against ground-type Pokemon!

Why are you telling me this now after I've beaten you, presumably by exploiting your Pokemons' weaknesses? :psyduck:

Name's on the memorial? Good. Another gym leader down.

...I hate you so much, stalker door guy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
drat, you’re making up for lost time!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wow, you steamrolled this Gym, good job!

You were semi-right in expecting Cut to be more tedious to use: in the original, you did in fact have to go into the menu and select Cut manually, like you did for Teleport in the last update. They added this quality of life feature of just "talking" to the object to Cut in Gen 2 already, iirc. Fun fact: you can still use Cut manually from the menu, and destroy patches of grass in front of you! Presumably also slicing all Pokemon in there to tiny bits :psyduck:? Anyway, I've never used that and I don't think anybody ever did, so it's not much of a super secret tactic spoiler, I don't believe.

You can check which attacks for your day-care visitor you "missed" - they learn all of their levelup moves in the day-care, just replace I think moves from the bottom (or top?) of the list as new ones come in. So the Rattata has all of them, but might have forgotten Tackle by now.

The trash can puzzle is idiotic, don't feel bad for not "getting" it, because there's zero hints to it and it makes no loving sense. You have to randomly find the first switch, there's nothing but RNG for it; and then, the second switch is randomly in one of the trash cans directly adjacent. Yes, that can mean up to 4. It's just dumb.

Shock Wave doesn't actually paralyze at all! You can check move descriptions from the TM menu. It's a 60 power (decent but not spectacular) electric move that never misses.

And finally, you had no problems with the Gym due to already having a ground type, but other people might not be so lucky. However, the designers accounted for that, and there's a cave near the town with a lot of ground Pokemon in it. It's often the case with these games that they distribute explicit "silver bullet" type mons around the gyms, so you don't have to scrounge half a game away for something that MIGHT work against this one problem opponent. If you're having trouble, it's worth exploring what you can before taking on a gym!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, the classic lt surge experience :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's me. I'm Lt. Surge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hey, Surge doesn't have to be older than all of his soldiers to have been their CO.

Also his gym "puzzle" is absolutely the worst in the game and it's entirely up to RNG, so you weren't doing anything stupid there. You just have to hope that eventually you hit the jackpot.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

dotchan posted:

Eh, Teleport and Dig are fine in-game moves though. Ditto Fly and Surf.

What needs to change all those other HMs (Cut, Dive, Defog, Flash, Strength, etc.) so the player doesn't feel the need to have a "slave" specifically to carry those abilities.

Teleport is dogshit though, all is does it guarantee an escape from a wild battle, which you can do with a Smoke Ball or PokeDoll.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

Hey, Surge doesn't have to be older than all of his soldiers to have been their CO.

No, but he looks like he was probably in diapers when the old guy was serving.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He's only 30, but tragic experiences age you way faster. Surge hung out in the cozy officer's tent, while that poor guy had to sit in blood soaked trenches, while the voltoballs fell from the sky.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I also just realized that barrier composed of arcing electricity is described as a "motorized door." :laugh:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Seyser Koze posted:

I also just realized that barrier composed of arcing electricity is described as a "motorized door." :laugh:

A case of upgrading the graphics from Gen1 but not amending the text to fit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A Pokemon war sounds pretty hectic. What happens if you bring a Pokemon that won't obey you to the battlefield? :ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

A Pokemon war sounds pretty hectic. What happens if you bring a Pokemon that won't obey you to the battlefield? :ohdear:

drat it charizard! You're a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules, but you get results!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ya know, I must've played Fire Red about a hundred times, but I cannot for the life of me ever remember having trouble with Surge's gym puzzle. I guess I just had some absolute god-tier luck?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

serefin99 posted:

Ya know, I must've played Fire Red about a hundred times, but I cannot for the life of me ever remember having trouble with Surge's gym puzzle. I guess I just had some absolute god-tier luck?

I think the first one is always top-right, then it's a 50-50 shot of getting the second one.

Not sure where it goes after that though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

serefin99 posted:

You did.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ah, the classic lt surge experience :allears:
It really is; this update is basically Lt. Surge in a nutshell. Struggle a bit figuring out the Gym's puzzle, and then
1) Wipe the floor with everyone if you have a Ground type
2) Have a hell of a time fighting Surge if you don't have a Ground type

You went with option 1, which is the much better option.

You wanna know what's sad? In Gen 1 Voltorb didn't even learn any electric moves at all by level up, just Normal moves and Light Screen. Even in Gen 7 its movepool is still kinda sad, just Normal and Electric moves and barely anything else, even with TMs.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Let me understand, as the item's new to me as well. The Vs Seeker is semi-infinite money from re-fighting trainers? You're no longer restricted to Meowth and Pay Day to deal with any supply issues? You're no longer restrained by 'you only have so much money', which was very much a thing for Red and Blue?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That is correct.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Saladin Rising posted:

You wanna know what's sad? In Gen 1 Voltorb didn't even learn any electric moves at all by level up, just Normal moves and Light Screen. Even in Gen 7 its movepool is still kinda sad, just Normal and Electric moves and barely anything else, even with TMs.

That's the Electric-type experience in a nutshell. A lot of pure Electric types have really, really lovely movesets.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bloodly posted:

Let me understand, as the item's new to me as well. The Vs Seeker is semi-infinite money from re-fighting trainers? You're no longer restricted to Meowth and Pay Day to deal with any supply issues? You're no longer restrained by 'you only have so much money', which was very much a thing for Red and Blue?
Yes, and it's great. Best addition to FRLG, IMO.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

I'm actually sitting at almost 30k right now, and haven't really had to spend on anything except Pokeballs (and - :sigh: - the Magikarp). I'm assuming that'll change at some point.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vandar posted:

That's the Electric-type experience in a nutshell. A lot of pure Electric types have really, really lovely movesets.
That goes double for Gen 1 mons, which generally started with utter poo poo for their movepools and had to cross their fingers hoping later gens fixed it(which happened for some but not others).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I believe in krabby!

And in this I am alone.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Thank you for taking my dumb name.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm actually sitting at almost 30k right now, and haven't really had to spend on anything except Pokeballs (and - :sigh: - the Magikarp). I'm assuming that'll change at some point.

yeah there'll be stuff you want to buy a town or two from now...

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

ldragon posted:

This is what the rom hack crystal clear does, and it’s honestly pretty ok. It does have issues where you are spoiled by choice and the gameplay being straight gen 2 and thus kinda dated.

Wow, so it does. Lacking a few things I wish it had, but man, is it open! And the romhacker went out of their way to make it as compatible with official games as possible, even stuff like the Bank. Amazing work! Thanks for sharing that with me!

The Golux posted:

yeah there'll be stuff you want to buy a town or two from now...
Just spend it all on pokeballs right now! Live in the moment, save nothing!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
feckin encounter rates :rant:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

feckin encounter rates :rant:

Getting swarmed, or trying to find something? If it's the first, invest in repels! Super Repels are the best value per-step. If it's the second... my condolences. Encounter rates are hell, and only got more absurd and hellish as the series went on!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Haifisch posted:

That goes double for Gen 1 mons, which generally started with utter poo poo for their movepools and had to cross their fingers hoping later gens fixed it(which happened for some but not others).

At least Gen I 'mons had the advantage of having incredibly wide and varied moves they could get from TMs...

...except for, again, Electric types, because lol.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Seyser Koze posted:

People refer to him as the Lightning American!

I wager an embarrassing avatar for myself of the thread's choosing that he will never be referred to as "The Lightning American" again in this game.
Not only are you not wrong, but he's one of exactly three references to real-world geography in the game.

(apparently there's a throwaway scientist that says Silph Co. has a branch in Russia, which I did not know until I looked up to confirm there weren't any others beyond this and the South America one later that I won't spoil)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not only are you not wrong, but he's one of exactly three references to real-world geography in the game.

(apparently there's a throwaway scientist that says Silph Co. has a branch in Russia, which I did not know until I looked up to confirm there weren't any others beyond this and the South America one later that I won't spoil)

Do any other games (and I mean those that don't take place in Kanto) have references to real-world geography? I think it's unlikely because after Gen I, they made the Pokemon World much more explicitly a fantasy world. But I wouldn't entirely count it out either. Perhaps in a throwaday line in a pokedex entry or something.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do any other games (and I mean those that don't take place in Kanto) have references to real-world geography? I think it's unlikely because after Gen I, they made the Pokemon World much more explicitly a fantasy world. But I wouldn't entirely count it out either. Perhaps in a throwaday line in a pokedex entry or something.

Only a throwaway reference to Indian Elephants in one Gen 1 entry iirc.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not by name since Generation 1 really, but really what makes Surge (and those others) stand out is that they use real world names. Pokemon's mainline games have all taken place in geography analogous to the real world, but starting Gen 2 they just changed up the names so instead of using real world place names like France they call it a made up name (Kalos in this case, for those playing along at home). There's plenty of reason to believe that Russia exists in the Pokemon world, it just wouldn't be called Russia in Pokemon.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's also the reference in the Pewter City museum to the date of the moon landing, although that's less real-world geography than real-world history.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

There's also the reference in the Pewter City museum to the date of the moon landing, although that's less real-world geography than real-world history.

That's referenced again in R/S/E, I believe, at a not-NASA type facility. As they've never officially said that stuff like "America" doesn't actually exist, perhaps Unova is simply a renamed state, as Kalos might be a renamed region of France. Who knows? It's one of those questions like: where do the people get meat from in the Pokemon world? Are they eating pokemon, or animals? Are there 'regular' animals, other than the aforementioned elephant?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lieutenant Surge's episode was the first Pokemon episode I saw, which gave me a VERY different impression of what the show is supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I kinda disliked how the original season of the anime typically distilled the Gym Leaders down to using only one Pokemon. Brock doesn't even use Geodude the first time he battles Ash and it's basically brushed off in the second match anyway. Ironically, the opposite is true for Misty's Starmie, which is a wimp compared to her Staryu.

The battle with Surge was pretty great, though. And apparently he has a foul mouth in Japanese, shouting out things like "Goddamn!" when he's losing. In the Pokemon Adventures manga, he's even more over the top and has a bazooka that launches Voltorbs, if I remember correctly.

He's certainly one of the more entertaining Gym Leaders, that's for sure. And he uses Raichu, so I can appreciate his good taste.