Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

OH HAI NEW BESTIES GLOMP ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can we get advice from the strangers?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Go say hi to the strangers.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Of course, it's very possible that these strangers might be Spanish speakers, and I don't think Chitoryu took the Spanish skill.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Gotta go say hi to the new arrivals. Approach them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I was born in Delaware. My father used to tell me stories of Africa and promised one day we'd find ourselves going home. But I don't know if I'm getting closer or farther away with all this walking."

Okay that was depressing. Do you have any advice?

"Keep a good eye on those animals of yours and don't let them get too over-tired. A dead animal's no good to nobody, except maybe the butcher. And out here in this awful place, I'd rather be moving than eating."

As before, the final Sweetwater crossing is easy.

The Dry Sandy Crossing spent part of the year as a creek but most of it as a dry desert. Trying to dig a shallow well here would usually lead to brackish alkali water, making it impractical to stop here.

If you read back, you'll note that this trail seems very different. The exact path of the Oregon Trail changed over the years, not accounting for settlements and forts that opened and closed/got abandoned along the way. Traveling to ostensibly the same place in 1840 and 1850 are both radically different journeys.

Last time we accepted help on such a treacherous river for a similar price. With our excessive stock of cornmeal, we're going forward.

And last time there was Fort Bridger! Now it's just an empty field.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I wanna go see Salt Lake!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aw, the strangers didn't have any candy. Maybe they make taffy at Salt Lake?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

If you read back, you'll note that this trail seems very different. The exact path of the Oregon Trail changed over the years, not accounting for settlements and forts that opened and closed/got abandoned along the way. Traveling to ostensibly the same place in 1840 and 1850 are both radically different journeys.

Any ideas on why this is? Did people find new routes along the way that were easier to manage, did the terrain shift over time?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Any ideas on why this is? Did people find new routes along the way that were easier to manage, did the terrain shift over time?

The route changed pretty regularly over the few decades of the main trail's common usage. While there's a "definitive" Oregon Trail, in practice people found better ways through the environment over time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Salt Lake route has finally got us some new scenery! The river is shallow and simple, so we just ford it.

The Needles is a prominent rock formation on the border of Utah and Wyoming that Brigham Young's group of Mormons passed in July 1847. Young fell ill, but survived and kept going to the Great Salt Lake. This area is now the part of the Canyonlands National Park.

If you're playing with sound on you get a really cheesy audio clip of someone going "Helloooo-hellooooo-helloooooo" every single time you go to this screen from another one. Echo Canyon is currently home to a few dozen people; it was a prominent stop on the railroad until the advent of diesel made it unnecessary for trains to stop for water and assistance with the grades, leaving the tiny town nothing more than a short stop on the interstate.

Continuing without doing anything worked last time, and by God it'll work this time!

Here's another river. This one could be a little trickier.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
My feet hurt. We should rest a bit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CAULK THE GODDAMN WAGONS AND FLOAT

You CANNOT LOSE.

It's called a Prairie Schooner, after all.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I think we've earned a break, let's rest for the maximum amount of time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Simsmagic posted:

I think we've earned a break, let's rest for the maximum amount of time.

Just to make sure nobody is caught off guard, the maximum amount of time is 14 days.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I agree, let's take a load off and rest for a day or two

Also in the spirit of this thread I played some 2nd edition a few days ago and everything was going swell, was a couple weeks away from California with everyone in the party alive. Next thing you know I die from "an accidental gun shot" and the game is over :xcom:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Wait about 8 years. Eventually, you'll come across a guy named James Brown and his really big family...13 wives, 28 kids. They'll settle down and build a farm. Eventually, a bunch of other people will settle nearby, and they'll name the community Brownsville, but then they'll change the name to Ogden. Now you have a choice to make. If you're ok settling down in Utah with the Mormons, then you're all set.

Otherwise, if you're committed to getting to Oregon, you have to wait longer, another 11 years. At that point, the transcontinental railroad will be built, and good news, it'll stop in Ogden. That'll get you to San Francisco. At this point, your best bet is probably a boat from San Francisco to Astoria, and congratulations, you're in Oregon.

Otherwise, take a 3 day break, and if river conditions haven't gotten worse, ford the river

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Just ford the river now.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Noticed in the screenshot for Echo Canyon that it said we had no fruit or vegetables, so stopping and resting might not be a very good idea. Thus if possible see who is around to trade for that stuff.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Noticed in the screenshot for Echo Canyon that it said we had no fruit or vegetables, so stopping and resting might not be a very good idea. Thus if possible see who is around to trade for that stuff.

I second this, and request a listing of our current food stocks.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

UED Special Ops posted:

Works for me.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

UED Special Ops posted:

Trade? Real men forage for mysterious plants and test them on a convenient small child.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We appear to be at a tie between Rest and See Who's Around. The next vote will take it.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
Let's see who is around.

Also, really have been enjoying going through the thread! Figured I'd hop in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hey friend!

"My brother drowned as a boy, and I never lost my fear of water ever since. But I reckon for all else we're facing on this trail, a little water shouldn't leave me quaking. Just don't tell the others I'm scared. I'll pluck up my courage and cross over along with everyone else."

We learned absolutely nothing useful except "Don't be scared."

We're getting short on food in general, but definitely lacking in vitamins.

You know what time it is!

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

You know what time it is!

3 and 4? Honestly, I have no idea.

FriskyBoat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 22, 2019

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Take them all

Why the hell do we have 200 pounds of biscuits and 500 pounds of corn meal, but we're so low on essentials?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Keep the upper two, throw away the bottom two.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If God wanted us not to eat some of the plants He would have labelled them. Eat them all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Truthkeeper posted:

Take them all

Why the hell do we have 200 pounds of biscuits and 500 pounds of corn meal, but we're so low on essentials?

The river gods demand many sacrifices of bacon and coffee. They seem indifferent to biscuits and cornmeal.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
A looks like thistle, I think that's edible. No idea about the others.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Take A, toss the rest.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I can't believe I didn't find this fantastic thread until today!

Also take them all!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Counting any refusal to take something as a "no"

Yes
Plant 1: 6
Plant 2: 4
Plant 3: 4
Plant 4: 4

No
Plant 1: 2
Plant 2: 2
Plant 3: 4
Plant 4: 4

I'm going to count a tie as keeping it because it's more fun that way. So I guess we get them all!

Seyser Koze correctly identified wavyleaf thistle! It's a relatively palatable thistle with edible roots and stems, though the roots can cause flatulence due to containing an indigestible starch. It's good for soups or drying for storage.

Our second plant is burdock, the taproot of which is still a popular vegetable in East Asian cuisine. Since medieval times it's been made into a soft drink of dandelion & burdock by fermenting them, similar to root beer.

We keep up our good fortune with arrowroot! The starchy rhizomes are edible similar to potatoes or cassava and can be ground into flour.

We then promptly ruin our good fortune with dogbane, or Indian hemp. All parts of the plant are poisonous and can potentially cause cardiac arrest. Normally it's only a real problem for livestock, but desperate times call for accidentally poisoning yourself with scavenged leaves. Maybe whoever dies from it can use their last moments to make some rope.

We wait 3 days, miraculously avoiding any poisoning (so far). The river level drops by half a foot.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ford that sucker

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've played roguelikes before, you always quaff ID poo poo you find laying around. You can only get poisoned once, but you can eat the edible ones repeatedly! :eng101:

Oh, and Ford I guess.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Ford that bitch

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Welcome to "Blasted Worthless Plains City"! We ain't got nuthin'!

See also: Levelland, Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-D824LHti4

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does time pass when you "See who, around" and then "Look for someone else"? Can you spend years waiting for Mr. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm pretty sure "see who's around" is a free action and doeant take up time. The people you talk to just tell you something about your location, their loves, or day to day stuff about taking the trail.