Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Shageletic posted:

Manhattan Project was a good show, though it didn't show too much of the scientific project as it should have. But it did surprisingly alot, especially for being on WGN.

Manhattan was a great show, and I’m glad the actors from that are spreading to other things.

The creator mentioned that if season 3 happened they would’ve jumped forward to talk about suburbs, as Manhattan project was a remarkably well-built planned community and jump started that idea in post-war America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just watched this, crazy how a lot of the same mistakes that led the reactor to blow wrt human arrogance and ignorance are also going to destroy the climate and eradicate most of humanity

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

just watched this, crazy how a lot of the same mistakes that led the reactor to blow wrt human arrogance and ignorance are also going to destroy the climate and eradicate most of humanity

Chernobyl (2019) is an extraordinarily optimistic look at climate change because the people responsible force many of the working class to sacrifice their lives to save the rest, instead of just shutting the doors and letting them all die

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Something like Chernobyl, but about the Sanitation Movement in the 1800s. Like, honestly, if we had to do something like this today we'd all just die of cholera instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY

I can't imagine convincing the Chicago of today that they need to raise the entire city by 15 feet just to keep poor people from dying and then actually doing it. They won't even spend a tenth of a cruise missile on making sure the water doesn't have lead, these days...
:smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

We will not have the kind of insider details needed for a show like this for at least another decade.

Not really the 737 MAXX already had some great investigative reporting like how Boeing transferred or demoted who raised quality concerns over the rapid program development.

Boeing also pitched the plane to airlines and pilots as requiring no special training since it has same handling characteristics as other 737s.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I don't know what you guys are smoking, there is no way anyone could get funding to make a high profile docudrama miniseries about any existing huge corporation in this country.

The only reason we know dick about Chernobyl is that their entire government collapsed and therefore no one was paid to keep the secrets anymore.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
itshappening.gif

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/1141581405513641984

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tankies would really like a second season about the Bhopal Disaster (the costs of unregulated capitalism) or atomic-testing related deaths.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

jeeves posted:

I don't know what you guys are smoking, there is no way anyone could get funding to make a high profile docudrama miniseries about any existing huge corporation in this country.

The only reason we know dick about Chernobyl is that their entire government collapsed and therefore no one was paid to keep the secrets anymore.

That's not really true cause I remember watching a major blockbuster movie about Erin Brokovich some time in the 00s.

Xander77 posted:

Tankies would really like a second season about the Bhopal Disaster (the costs of unregulated capitalism) or atomic-testing related deaths.

Russia already doing a series about how the CIA blew up Chernobyl so I think the tankie demographic is served for now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Xander77 posted:

Tankies would really like a second season about the Bhopal Disaster (the costs of unregulated capitalism)

This looks like it would be a seriously good candidate, though.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

A Chernobyl-like series about the Boeing stuff sounds like the most boring thing on earth.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kanish posted:

A Chernobyl-like series about the Boeing stuff sounds like the most boring thing on earth.

And we already have Air Crash Investigation, which is really good too.

I mean it isn't Chernobyl-good, but it is good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kanish posted:

Except for the plane crashes?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Sulphagnist posted:

And we already have Air Crash Investigation, which is really good too.

I mean it isn't Chernobyl-good, but it is good.

Yeah this show is interesting, but to make a multi-episode drama of board meetings and FAA hearings would not make for good tv imo.

hobbesmaster posted:

Except for the plane crashes?

Sure, but they happen right after takeoff, so that'd be a few minutes of "action". To compare to Chernobyl, which had the initial explosion and harrowing aftermath, as well as the liquidation effort lends itself more to a multi-episode docu-drama. Sully was a decent movie, but they had a clear 'hero', and the filmmakers essentially had to create FAA investigation drama to make it into a single movie.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Cambridge Analytica would be a good season. The nature of truth, etc

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

This looks like it would be a seriously good candidate, though.

good luck getting it funded

an activist prankster got on the bbc claiming to be a spokesman for dow chemical, saying the company would take responsibility for the disaster and compensate the victims. dow stock fell 4.5% in minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro9eI

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

luxury handset posted:

an activist prankster got on the bbc claiming to be a spokesman for dow chemical, saying the company would take responsibility for the disaster and compensate the victims. dow stock fell 4.5% in minutes

glorious

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kanish posted:

Yeah this show is interesting, but to make a multi-episode drama of board meetings and FAA hearings would not make for good tv imo.

Right, I was trying to say that the 45 minute format is already more than enough for an air accident. They will probably end up making a special about the 737-MAX crashes in a few years once we have all the facts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Yes Men are amazing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Kanish posted:

Sure, but they happen right after takeoff, so that'd be a few minutes of "action". To compare to Chernobyl, which had the initial explosion and harrowing aftermath, as well as the liquidation effort lends itself more to a multi-episode docu-drama. Sully was a decent movie, but they had a clear 'hero', and the filmmakers essentially had to create FAA investigation drama to make it into a single movie.

Yeah. Part of what grips people watching Chernobyl is that it feels like you are watching something set after the apocalypse.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Meanwhile, the TERFs have decided that the miniseries is an allegory for… transgenderism?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Came for the hard hitting historical drama about a world wide devastation. Stayed for the TERFs making it about the horror of dealing with trans women.

:stare:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I mean, they're right in the sense that long-held "truths" are often lies or misinformed...

A simple swap of words or subjects without any nuance can go a long way.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do they think transpeople are so god drat scary that in their mind it's on the level of nuclear meltdowns and dictatorships

How deep does their brainrot go

Who gives a poo poo what gender someone wants to be how the gently caress does that affect you lol

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

luxury handset posted:

This is an amazing thing and I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why do they think transpeople are so god drat scary that in their mind it's on the level of nuclear meltdowns and dictatorships

How deep does their brainrot go

Who gives a poo poo what gender someone wants to be how the gently caress does that affect you lol

The closest it ever comes to a good faith argument is when to fall back on "it lets people who may have penises use women's restrooms". But then you show them stats on sexual assaults and realize you're more at risk from a US congressman in a restroom than a trans person and any and all premise of good faith flies out the window and it's straight back to "they're gross and icky"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They think we're normalizing magical thinking, which makes the whole world irrational

(more so)

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I don't recall seeing this movie referenced in the thread, but the 2002 film K-19: The Widowmaker, starring Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson, should be right up everyone's alley. Radiation, Soviet engineering, Russian bureaucracy, and everyone speaking english with a Mr. Chekov accent, so it's a good contrast to watch this film and then the HBO series to decide which approach you like better.

One great scene in this movie has sailors being sent to work on the nuclear core while wearing NBC suits, which won't do anything to stop the radiation, but the sailors are told they will to give them false hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKIm26tDMs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SimonCat posted:

I don't recall seeing this movie referenced in the thread, but the 2002 film K-19: The Widowmaker, starring Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson, should be right up everyone's alley. Radiation, Soviet engineering, Russian bureaucracy, and everyone speaking english with a Mr. Chekov accent, so it's a good contrast to watch this film and then the HBO series to decide which approach you like better.

One great scene in this movie has sailors being sent to work on the nuclear core while wearing NBC suits, which won't do anything to stop the radiation, but the sailors are told they will to give them false hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKIm26tDMs

It'd prevent any heavy metal poisoning and inhaling radioactive dust at least which are the next concerns if they don't actually end up with a large enough dose of radiation.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd prevent any heavy metal poisoning and inhaling radioactive dust at least which are the next concerns if they don't actually end up with a large enough dose of radiation.

Yeah, about that...:

"On 4 July 1961, under the command of Captain First Rank Nikolai Vladimirovich Zateyev, K-19 was conducting exercises in the North Atlantic off the south-east coast of Greenland. At 04:15 local time the pressure in the starboard nuclear reactor's cooling system dropped to zero. The reactor department crew found a major leak in the reactor coolant system, causing the coolant pumps to fail. The boat could not contact Moscow and request assistance because a separate accident had damaged the long-range radio system. The control rods were automatically inserted by the emergency SCRAM system, but the reactor temperature rose uncontrollably. Decay heat from fission products produced during normal operation eventually heated the reactor to 800 °C (1,470 °F).

Making a drastic decision, Zateyev ordered the engineering section to fabricate a new coolant system by cutting off an air vent valve and welding a water-supplying pipe into it. This required the men to work in high radiation for extended periods. The accident released radioactive steam containing fission products that were drawn into the ship's ventilation system and spread to other compartments of the ship. The jury-rigged cooling water system successfully reduced the temperature in the reactor.[1]

The incident irradiated the entire crew, most of the ship, and some of the ballistic missiles on board. All seven members of the engineering crew and their divisional officer died of radiation exposure within the next month. Fifteen more sailors died within the next two years.[6]

Deceased crew members
Several crew members received fatal doses of radiation during repairs on the reserve coolant system of Reactor #8. Eight died between one and three weeks after the accident from severe radiation sickness. A person who receives a dose of 4 to 5 Sv (about 400-500 rem) over a short period has a 50% chance of dying within 30 days.[10]

Name Rank Dose of radiation Date of death
Boris Korchilov Lieutenant 54 Sv (Sievert)[11] = 5400 rem [12] 10 July 1961
Boris Ryzhikov Chief Starshina 8.6 Sv 25 July 1961
Yuriy Ordochkin Starshina, 1st class 11 Sv 10 July 1961
Evgeny Kashenkov Starshina, 2nd class 10 Sv 10 July 1961
Semyon Penkov Seaman 10 Sv 18 July 1961
Nicolai Savkin Seaman 11 Sv 13 July 1961
Valery Charitonov Seaman 11 Sv 15 July 1961
Yuriy Povstyev Captain Lieutenant,
Commander of the division of movement 7.5 Sv 22 July 1961

Fourteen other crew members died within two years. Many other crew members also received radiation doses exceeding permissible levels.[1] They underwent medical treatment during the following year. Many others experienced chest pains, numbness, cancer, and kidney failure. Their treatment was devised by Professor Z. Volynskiy and included bone marrow transplantation and blood transfusion. It saved, among others, Chief Lieutenant Mikhail Krasichkov and Captain 3rd class Vladimir Yenin, who had received doses of radiation that were otherwise considered deadly. For reasons of secrecy, the official diagnosis was not "radiation sickness" but "astheno-vegetative syndrome", a mental disorder.[13]"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I meant it wasn't an absolute certainty going in, those 3 guys that went into the water at chernobyl were supposed to be going to their deaths but were fine. It probably wasn't the captain's plan to irradiate the entire drat boat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I meant it wasn't an absolute certainty going in, those 3 guys that went into the water at chernobyl were supposed to be going to their deaths but were fine. It probably wasn't the captain's plan to irradiate the entire drat boat.

Well, sitting on top of a reactor core welding some pipes to it is quite different from going into a basement with some spicy water.

I mean the guy received 11 lethal doses ffs.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

The other point is that a nuclear powered submarine was put to sea stocked only with NBC suits, not the lead lined anti-radiation suits they should have had. Basically the supply guy at the depot said "eh, one's as good as another."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

going into a basement with some spicy water.

lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This link with pictures from the Fukushima exclusion zone popped up on my facebook feed this evening. A couple of pretty cool shots there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

This link with pictures from the Fukushima exclusion zone popped up on my facebook feed this evening. A couple of pretty cool shots there.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Not great, not terrible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

E.J.Olmos posted:

Not great, not terrible.

I used this line at my D&D table last night and discovered all but one member of the group has watch Chernobyl

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I personally prefer "Not great, not horrifying" in that wheezy Fomin voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
You mean Bryukhanov, comrade.

Take this man to the infirmary, he’s clearly delusional.