Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

J.A.B.C. posted:

I've been busy with moving and have missed out on this thread.
boy howdy did you ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
loving around in the sewers, just bred a full bag of gun's down to three guns and it was a lot of fun. I never get tired of the animation, especially the randomized switches at the start. I never get tired of the apostrophes in gun's. Pretty much consider the promise kept as far as I'm concerned, all ToGsters former and current.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

J.A.B.C. posted:

What the gently caress happened? There's a demo now?

Tunicate posted:

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

J.A.B.C. posted:

Gates of heck were swung open, and a demo was squeezed out from the abyss by applying enough public pressure.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there any way to get Barkley 1 to run in proper fullscreen?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gortarius posted:

Gates of heck were swung open, and a demo was squeezed out from the abyss by applying enough public pressure.

Man, I need to catch the gently caress up, it seems.

In my notes, this started on page 228 with hiratio's first post. There's now 291 pages of dev notes, absolute turnabouts and then this.

Guess I need to start compiling. But thanks!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Lazyhound posted:

Is there any way to get Barkley 1 to run in proper fullscreen?

Have a screen so small it takes all of it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When does the youtube documentary on this thread release

Khorne
May 1, 2002

J.A.B.C. posted:

In true ToG fashion, the game was canceled and then after that they released a demo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Khorne posted:

In true ToG fashion, the game was canceled and then after that they released a demo.

Actually I think you'll find it's alive and well and being worked on for free by a couple of gullible coders and a deluded businessman

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Actually I think you'll find it's alive and well and being worked on for free by a couple of gullible coders and a deluded businessman

Sounds like some true doom murder heads to me.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

the one where two devs hosed another devs girlfriend then the two devs had a falling out with each other for betraying each other by loving the other guys gf.

This suggests that they did not, in fact, gently caress her simultaneously.

I am somewhat disappointed, but my curiosity is slaked.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

scandoslav posted:

This suggests that they did not, in fact, gently caress her simultaneously.

I am somewhat disappointed, but my curiosity is slaked.

Oh yeah sorry if you're the guy who asked previously. As far as I know they didn't double dip

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

I take full credit for the epic meme burn I laid down.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Since things are quieting down, please allow me to share this weird journey I just went on

I enjoy watching Jon Bois' (SBnation editor who sometimes does basketball!! related poo poo) vids and was looking up a song that he uses frequently within them. I found it here (set to start at the sample he uses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wuy8g-8DH4&t=75s

and even though I've heard this song plenty of times, listening to it separately from his videos made something click...haven't I heard this distinct style of music before? Why is there an address to London on that album cover? Wasn't there some funky BBC synth stuff from the 70s and 80s? Didn't I play a game that had music that sounded kinda like this?

oh yeah! Another indie/freeware RPG roughly around the same time as Barkley. I've totally forgotten about this game (minus the music, apparently). I'll replay it and see if it's any good. OK thanks for reading - next time: replaying Barkley with a working knowledge of basketball and who Lebron James and Vince Carter are vs. my younger self who had no idea who these people were or why they mattered or how to Basketball

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
space funeral owns and the creator of it puts out weird experimental little games fairly frequently

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Space Funeral is extremely good.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
who are you again

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

space funeral owns and the creator of it puts out weird experimental little games fairly frequently

Magic Wand was a kickass exploration game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

barkley shut up and jam gaiden was a documentary.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1142887563855900674

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bisse posted:

The Save Station Menu

[snip]

Aaanyway years passed and the game changed and the menu needed a do-over again, we had the same user interface discussions again, and landed on something which I hunkered down in my code cave and built. There are two screenshots of Version 4 in this update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1335376
To be honest I quite loved this. Also I made this during a time I was out of country with just a macbook and GM:S needs windows, so I bought a new Windows laptop specifically for building this during a time I could otherwise have enjoyed seeing the country.

Then came a personal hiatus due to stress, few months later I shaped up and decided to get back in gear, I open the project, check out the menu and. Lo and behold. There is a new menu again, a version 5. In the original design. Of course no one had bothered to inform me.

This makes me sad, I really wanted to see this version of the menu in action.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Started a new game to pay Wilmer's rent or whatever and gently caress that queue. Seemed like I nailed it but when I came back during the curfew he was out on his rear end again. I just don't understand duergar bureaucracy.

Hey, is time going backwards and does the curfew ever lift? (In the demo)

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Shanty posted:

Started a new game to pay Wilmer's rent or whatever and gently caress that queue. Seemed like I nailed it but when I came back during the curfew he was out on his rear end again. I just don't understand duergar bureaucracy.

Hey, is time going backwards and does the curfew ever lift? (In the demo)

Wilmer must be busted up once again. I don't know how this is possible because back when I was working on this still like a year ago I went through every NPC (in TNN) to fix them up, and I spent an unforgivable amount of time to make sure Wilmer worked as intended. Maybe something was changed during the past 6 months or there is something that was overlooked BUT this is how it is supposed to work:

- He sends you off to pay the mortgage
- You can wait (skip) in line and pay the mortgage and then he should be set as saved
- You can dilly-dally for too long and the mortgage office is closed down, Wilmer gets evicted
- You can give lip to the duergar at the office and fail to pay the mortgage, Wilmer gets evicted
- You can show up at the office with not enough money and fail to pay the mortgage, Wilmer gets evicted
- You can unknowingly sell Wilmer out to the duergars by talking to Gelasio and giving Wilmer's papers to him, Wilmer is sent to the Hoosegow
- You can pardon Wilmer as one of the Gov Policies and Wilmer is saved even if he was evicted before
- You can have Wilmer evicted, not pardon him and then talk to him and he will turn into a ghost and curse you

The curfew lasts, iirc, 2 or 3 ingame hours but ingame hours are super convoluted so let's just say it lasts for an hour. In order to end it though you have to either come out of the sewers and X1 will comment about it OR walk near the speakers and it will be announced that curfew is over. I believe you can force the curfew to start by helping out Gutterhound.

The ingame time will stop when it reaches the point when curfew is supposed to start and won't advance until curfew is triggered or until you get hoosegow'd etc.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 26, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
maybe timed quests like that are terrible design and a better fix is just not doing that, ever

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

nerdz posted:

maybe timed quests like that are terrible design and a better fix is just not doing that, ever

Yes, timed quests in rpgs is unfun garbage, and it seems like a ton of time was wasted on this system I doubt anyone will enjoy. Structuring your whole game around timed quests is nuts! Maybe that’s the joke?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The clock is nonlinear too so the more quests you do the faster time elapses

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it was supposed to be a parody of permanently missable quests in JRPGs, just taken to 11? Now that's what I call a funny gamers joke

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I like the timed quests! If all the areas were supposed to be as tightly packed with content as TNN it sort of almost seems necessary to block the players out of some of it so they don't lose the plot entirely. That's what always turns me off Bethesda rpgs, although I'm probably in a minority there.
Would be even better with some mechanism that lets you start over and revisit poo poo. Like in New Game+ you could start with a device that controls time (in many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think the faction/decision solution is a much more elegant way to gate quests in a single playthrough. Side with someone, make a decision and that closes off certain quests.

reading all these design ideas being exposed like this just shows how woefully unequipped the dev/design team was to execute something like this. just putting this failure on the manager is missing the whole picture. I mean, we spent years watching Frankie draw several sprites for each possible weapon variation in the game when they could reach the same end result in a much more optimized way without sacrificing the art style. all that for a system where all weapons are all randomly boring in the exact same ways, not unlike Starbound critter gen.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I mean it's something new, at least. Who the gently caress wants to make yet another elder scrolls knockoff? This was kickstarted, they had no obligation to make something actually playable or conventionally enjoyable and I'm happy they sort of didn't even try.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Honestly, I think Wilmer getting thrown out even if you pay his rent is pretty funny. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I spent well over 50 hours testing the game and the Wilmer questline never broke once, I don't understand how they managed to break it the minute I turned my back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It worked for me when I tried it. I paid the rent, went back and told him I'd paid, then he gave me some exposition. I'm not sure if he would have been thrown out after that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Katana Zero is a goddamn triumph and I'd like to thank this thread for giving me the kick to check it out.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I choose to believe that gamers hate time management in games because they completely lack the skill irl, since time management in games owns

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Pomp posted:

I choose to believe that gamers hate time management in games because they completely lack the skill irl, since time management in games owns

Time management in games is kind of like weapons with limited durability, in that they're cool and good but break some people's brains.

I'd probably prefer more of a SaGa style event rank thing than an actual real-time timer for a game like this, though.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

weapons with durability is ok if you can repair them and they last a while

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I tried Katana zero and I thought it was pretty weak. gently caress cliffhanger endings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trabandiumium posted:

yeah it's not good if it's "gently caress you it broke quick get a new weapon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Trabandiumium posted:

No that's actually the worst version. If it's just the same as unbreakable weapons but you need to do chores once in a while then don't bother.