Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Boogalo posted:

So it comes out on steam the same day FF7 remake releases. oof..

Epic APPARENTLY guarantees a minimum revenue/sales, so they can launch it the day of a new X-Com if they wanted to and still get paid anyway. Plus the sooner they launch the sooner they can double dip on Steam when the 1 year of exclusivity ends, so why bother delaying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

Based on the backer's alpha I played a few months ago:

Core gameplay is almost all there but mostly implemented at a fairly rudimentary level. Geoscape to move around on and build new outpost on and factions to interact with. PoI to trigger small decisions with, are all in. Map generation with three tilesets. Basic base building interface. Soldier equipment, skills, and classes, etc. The combat system works although I don't think it's more engaging than the new XCOM (attacks has ballistic calculation and can target specific body parts), since it currently lacks a lot of polish (soldier clipping through wall or cover when stepping out, and shoot out your own cover).

Only thing that's completely missing is research.

I think the movement/action system is a great upgrade over XCOM. No more 'you can move and shoot, but can't shoot and move' or 'you can move 12 tiles in this direction, but you can't do it if you move first 6 tiles, and the 6 more'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boogalo posted:

So it comes out on steam the same day FF7 remake releases. oof..

edit:nevermind, I read wrong.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the movement/action system is a great upgrade over XCOM. No more 'you can move and shoot, but can't shoot and move' or 'you can't move 12 tiles in this direction, but you can't do it if you move first 6 tiles, and the 6 more'.

Yeah the best part of XCOM was always counting my time units and being 1 off because I crouched.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like diversity of gameplay systems, but there's nothing wrong with XCOM's version. Sprinting further rather than moving once and moving again with more vision is a really clear risk/reward choice. Shooting ending movement is important because it means you can't escape the risk of return shots - being able to move after shooting is an incredibly powerful upgrade.

It looks like Phoenix Point is addressing the core gameplay issues these things are about from a different direction, but they do need addressing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the best part of XCOM was always counting my time units and being 1 off because I crouched.

The GUI helps avoid that in Phoenix Point. Select a weapon, and the XCOM-like movement grid will show exactly how far you can move and still be able to shoot with that weapon. So basically, click on blue space and you won't gently caress up TUs. I recall there being a second UI somewhere on screen that shows your TU as a draining bar or something, based on where you move the mouse, which helps for weapons that can be fired with a smaller chunk of TU, such as pistols. Anyway, it's less annoying than X-COM while affording more mobility options than XCOM. Being able to take a few steps out for a better angle, shoot, and take a few steps back into cover is very nice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phoenix Point has a very good mix between the movement systems from X-Com and XCOM, IMO.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pharnakes posted:

You mean comes out on epic store.

No it's ok, if you're backer who doesn't want to support Epic's horrendous practices, you can either a) wait a year or b) rent the game you already for from Microsoft on your own dime. That's totally fine right?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the movement/action system is a great upgrade over XCOM. No more 'you can move and shoot, but can't shoot and move' or 'you can't move 12 tiles in this direction, but you can't do it if you move first 6 tiles, and the 6 more'.

Xenonauts 2 is on its way

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Xenonauts 2 is on its way

I know, and I will take a look at it, although I think Phoenix Point is a good middle point between the over fiddliness and micro of Xenonauts/classic X-com and the high abstraction and limited feeling of XCOM.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ah gently caress its a whole year? I thought it was 6 months.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

DatonKallandor posted:

No it's ok, if you're backer who doesn't want to support Epic's horrendous practices, you can either a) wait a year or b) rent the game you already for from Microsoft on your own dime. That's totally fine right?
Or C: Pirate a game you've paid for in order to avoid the Epic bullshit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The initial EGS thing really soured me on the devs because I felt it was highly unethical, and I resolved not to support them anymore. It being on Game Pass is pretty okay, I guess? I'm not getting GP for Phoenix Point specifically, the devs are barely getting anything (if at all, I don't know how these things work) from my subscription, so I guess it shapes out.

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies
re: Game Pass

I preordered Phoenix Point from EGS when they gave the 10€ off bonus sale.
I have now cancelled that preorder successfully and used the refund to buy a year of xbox gold and used the 1€ upgrade offer from MS to transform that into 1 year of gamepass.
So now I get to play Phoenix Point, Outer worlds, Metro Exodus and some random Halos and Gears of wars plus whatever else pops up on gamepass for a year for about 45 €.

I figure if I really like the games I can then buy the games discounted on steam or something after the gamepass year is done.

Game Pass seems like a pretty good deal I you don't mind just renting the games for a year.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
This is the first I've seen of the gameplay in a long time and it looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_CU3-gWQxo

I've seen Beagle's comments on the free aim setup but honestly to me this looks pretty fun to play. Guess I'll find out for sure when I can give it a try myself

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

This is the first I've seen of the gameplay in a long time and it looks pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_CU3-gWQxo

I've seen Beagle's comments on the free aim setup but honestly to me this looks pretty fun to play. Guess I'll find out for sure when I can give it a try myself

Yeah, it's looking a lot closer to being the synthesis of UFO, Apocalypse, and new XCOM that was what was pitched. Still very interested.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully it's crazy modifiable.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Oh Boy is devs listening to Beaglerush going to ruin another game?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

What did Beagle say about Phoenix Point?

And the bit where he aims where he last saw an enemy and kills it in the fog of war was neat, but the sight ranges feel a bit low overall. The map seemed like it was in perpetual shadow and the guy playing through killed half the enemies while they were out of sight, which was kinda weird. It was four soldiers and a vehicle going up against a bunch of outlines and indicators.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh Boy is devs listening to Beaglerush going to ruin another game?

What other game did he ruin? I hope you're not meaning this as a strike against XCOM2, which basically setup the timers specifically to counter Beagle's Overwatch creep style. Because XCOM2 even on default settings is awesome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fuzz posted:

What other game did he ruin? I hope you're not meaning this as a strike against XCOM2, which basically setup the timers specifically to counter Beagle's Overwatch creep style.

that's definitely what he means because i remember him whining about it in that thread literal years ago

lol that he has ground the axe for this long

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fuzz posted:

What other game did he ruin? I hope you're not meaning this as a strike against XCOM2, which basically setup the timers specifically to counter Beagle's Overwatch creep style. Because XCOM2 even on default settings is awesome.

They also changed the overwatch trap settings because of him

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dogstile posted:

They also changed the overwatch trap settings because of him

In terms of the Alien Rulers acting on every move? Because otherwise it's no different without that DLC.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
No, if aliens see a guy out in the open some of them will just fire on him rather than moving to cover. Before they'd all run to cover. Beagle would intentionally leave a guy out of cover to cheese it.

Its actually a really lovely solution because the game wasn't designed for it, so every now and again in a campaign an alien will path into a guy and you'll probably lose him because of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fuzz posted:

In terms of the Alien Rulers acting on every move? Because otherwise it's no different without that DLC.

No, pre release they added code so if the aliens broke you out of concealment on their turn they had a chance to shoot any of your dudes who aren't in cover instead of scurrying.

Mostly because Beagle did a bunch of streams where he congalined everyone in the open on overwatch to trigger a free overwatch trap+turn. Its commented in the code as the 'anti-Beaglerush maneuver'

Basically they gave a downside to breaking concealment on the enemy's turn. If you have a SPARK you can still do the Beag strat though, just make sure the rest of your dudes are in cover.

dogstile posted:

No, if aliens see a guy out in the open some of them will just fire on him rather than moving to cover. Before they'd all run to cover. Beagle would intentionally leave a guy out of cover to cheese it.

Its actually a really lovely solution because the game wasn't designed for it, so every now and again in a campaign an alien will path into a guy and you'll probably lose him because of it.

Do note its only if your dudes are in concealment that the rule pops into effect, not just if a pod blunders into you while you're already in a fight

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 20, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean, losing a soldier because aliens saw him?
:xcom:

Cover and overwatch already make your guys a million times more survivable than the originals. Who cares.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

What did Beagle say about Phoenix Point?

And the bit where he aims where he last saw an enemy and kills it in the fog of war was neat, but the sight ranges feel a bit low overall. The map seemed like it was in perpetual shadow and the guy playing through killed half the enemies while they were out of sight, which was kinda weird. It was four soldiers and a vehicle going up against a bunch of outlines and indicators.

Apparently it was a night mission. Agreed on the aliens being a little too obscured - not necessarily in terms of gameplay, but just visually. They gave them cool models and animations but you can barely see any of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Apparently it was a night mission. Agreed on the aliens being a little too obscured - not necessarily in terms of gameplay, but just visually. They gave them cool models and animations but you can barely see any of it.

Clearly they need to use the solution from UFO Aftershock that gives you nightvision/thermal/EM vision modes that acts as a filter for your whole screen.

P.S. UFO Aftershock owned, don't @ me.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jack Trades posted:

Clearly they need to use the solution from UFO Aftershock that gives you nightvision/thermal/EM vision modes that acts as a filter for your whole screen.

P.S. UFO Aftershock owned, don't @ me.

It did have some good ideas in the series, but making it realtime with pause wasn't one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The best one was afterlight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I think Afterlight was the best executed of the series, but Aftershock was the most ambitious one that tried to do a lot of the same things Phoenix Point is trying to do re: factions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Alchenar posted:

I think Afterlight was the best executed of the series, but Aftershock was the most ambitious one that tried to do a lot of the same things Phoenix Point is trying to do re: factions.

Afterlight was too boring and weird, I thought. Although I don't remember the specifics of why I thought that.
I liked playing Aftershock the most out of the whole UFO series.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I think Aftermath had the best arc and was the most coherent, Aftershock tried to do too much but had a lot of cool content because of it and Afterlight was the most polished but man that art style shift is something else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I agree the art style was a bit meh in afterlight. But the underlying mechanics for your base, research and exploration was stellar. You also had the theme of desperation as your men died, I remember losing the big tanky guy and his teenager daughter had to pick up a rifle in his stead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Afterlight was too boring and weird, I thought. Although I don't remember the specifics of why I thought that.
I liked playing Aftershock the most out of the whole UFO series.

The problem with Afterlight is that there are three enemy species and three weapon damage types and SURPRISE they're each resistant to two and vulnerable to one. So there's lots of loadout options but in reality you look up the enemy type on the map and then select the squad loadout that's appropriate (being able to save squad preset loadouts was a huge correct decision). Combat was extremely non-variable.

Environmental hazard meaning you had to vary the size of suit you had to take was an interesting idea, but ultimately you took the suit for the mission rather than make tradeoffs (the 'top tier' suit being one that's just combat armour because you've terraformed the planet and the air is breathable was a nice move though).

Aftershock had the opposite problem to Afterlight, in that there was a Jagged Alliance 2 level of choice of weapons across all types, along with 3-4 mods for all of them, but there was no reason not to ever just choose the best one. The class system was interesting though.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the best 'after-wutevs' one where the seventy year-old german dude kills ayys with a disc saw

it's not a good game, but that part was memorable.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Alchenar posted:

The problem with Afterlight is that there are three enemy species and three weapon damage types and SURPRISE they're each resistant to two and vulnerable to one. So there's lots of loadout options but in reality you look up the enemy type on the map and then select the squad loadout that's appropriate (being able to save squad preset loadouts was a huge correct decision). Combat was extremely non-variable.

Environmental hazard meaning you had to vary the size of suit you had to take was an interesting idea, but ultimately you took the suit for the mission rather than make tradeoffs (the 'top tier' suit being one that's just combat armour because you've terraformed the planet and the air is breathable was a nice move though).

Aftershock had the opposite problem to Afterlight, in that there was a Jagged Alliance 2 level of choice of weapons across all types, along with 3-4 mods for all of them, but there was no reason not to ever just choose the best one. The class system was interesting though.

Well there was a reason to take different weapons in Aftershock, and that being because it's cool to make your own comic book action squad out of your guys. I think my final squad included a sniper with an anti-material rifle, a dude dual wielding pistols, an explosives guy, some drones, and I think one dude who just ran as fast as OG Doomguy and hit things with a sword, plus some others I don't remember. It was radical.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Katsuma posted:

Well there was a reason to take different weapons in Aftershock, and that being because it's cool to make your own comic book action squad out of your guys. I think my final squad included a sniper with an anti-material rifle, a dude dual wielding pistols, an explosives guy, some drones, and I think one dude who just ran as fast as OG Doomguy and hit things with a sword, plus some others I don't remember. It was radical.

Yeah flavour can be fun, although there is a certain point where it's like, okay how many different kinds of assault rifle do you need? (of course I like Jagged Alliance 2 so I'm not one to talk here).

I like Afterlight the best just because it's the least janky of any of them. They had a much more solid of idea of what they were making by that point, and exactly how they wanted to make it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I somehow only just found out about this game and I'm hype but gently caress signing up to EGS. What's the least stupid way to play this come December?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

I somehow only just found out about this game and I'm hype but gently caress signing up to EGS. What's the least stupid way to play this come December?

Signing up to EGS?