Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The only thing that comes to mind is, I think it was called Chrysanthemum, which was a falling-block game where the gimmick was that flowers would fall in from any of the four edges and land on a central square, or by hitting another already-landed flower. You had to arrange the flowers into certain configurations according to what kind of flower it was, and the failure state involved insects swarming out to eat all of your flowers.

If it's not Chrysanthemum, and it's something like Chrysanthemum, I want to play whatever this is too.

That is my all-time favorite obscure puzzle game, and it should've been as a big as Tetris, or at least Columns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bob Morlock posted:

Tower of the Ancients, maybe?

Thank you for answering the question I hadn't asked! That game looked really quite cool at the time, and I was addicted for a while in the very early 2000s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Every once in awhile I remember an old game, and this time I remembered this thread. What I remember about the game was that it was a superhero action game. I'm pretty sure it was an arcade brawler. I'm just about confident that it featured Spiderman who could just kind of swing back and forth across the screen, pretty ridiculous mobility for your average brawler game. I'm also pretty sure that at points it would zoom way out and your sprites and moveset would be replaced by simpler things, like I think Spidey's webslinging got replaced by a web projectile that just killed enemies. Maybe those were platformer sections?

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Every once in awhile I remember an old game, and this time I remembered this thread. What I remember about the game was that it was a superhero action game. I'm pretty sure it was an arcade brawler. I'm just about confident that it featured Spiderman who could just kind of swing back and forth across the screen, pretty ridiculous mobility for your average brawler game. I'm also pretty sure that at points it would zoom way out and your sprites and moveset would be replaced by simpler things, like I think Spidey's webslinging got replaced by a web projectile that just killed enemies. Maybe those were platformer sections?

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Yeah that's the spiderman arcade game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Y80vd0Qgk

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wow, that looks substantially less impressive than I remember it being. But yeah, that sure is it. Thank you!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What game is it where I think at the end of a battle or level, a male character yells "Success!" but the voice actor weirdly says it in two distinct syllables, like "Suck cess!"

It's gotta be a Japanese game with English voice acting from the PS3 era or older, and I feel like it's probably not a fighting game for some reason, but I'm not sure of that.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rollersnake posted:

What game is it where I think at the end of a battle or level, a male character yells "Success!" but the voice actor weirdly says it in two distinct syllables, like "Suck cess!"

It's gotta be a Japanese game with English voice acting from the PS3 era or older, and I feel like it's probably not a fighting game for some reason, but I'm not sure of that.

Super Smash Bros Melee? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGoRYCbnVDg

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Wow, that looks substantially less impressive than I remember it being. But yeah, that sure is it. Thank you!

Most of the gpu was dedicated to rendering Naked Spock's package.

https://youtu.be/LSzfWYGPXX4

Pneub fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 19, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Nah, but I figured it out. Searching around for games with bad voice acting led me to Audio Atrocities, a site I completely forgot existed, and is almost certainly where I heard this to begin with. It's some PS2 light gun game called Vampire Night.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

JossiRossi posted:

There was a game I played at a friend's house in the late 90s, it was a text adventure, first person walk aroundy hybrid. It was futuristic with aliens coexisting. All I recall is a taxi cab, and the driver would ask where to go. When you typed a wrong answer he'd go "Wut the hell!?" and we would crack up. Not sure if we got past that drat cabby. He may have been copy protection.
I believe Spaceship Warlock is what you're looking for!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Nah, but I figured it out. Searching around for games with bad voice acting led me to Audio Atrocities, a site I completely forgot existed, and is almost certainly where I heard this to begin with. It's some PS2 light gun game called Vampire Night.

Wouldn't a vampire want to call it a suckcess? Sounds like an intended feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OK, this should be easy, but I can't seem to find it. It's a CGA golf game, you get to build your own courses, and you can put dinosaurs in it. I'm guessing it's from 1990 or thereabouts.

EDIT: Ok, so NOW I try and can find it no problem.

World Tour Golf -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tour_Golf

Reading further:

quote:

World Tour Golf was EA's second sports title and its second sports hit, and it represents a link in the chain that led to the founding of EA Sports.

Oh wow. drat :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 19, 2019

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
An rpg of some sort that appeared as a shareware version on a MacFormat CD at some point in the nineties. Top down grid deal, looked a lot like Exile or Odyssey, but I can't for the life of me think of any distinguishing features other than this:
You could... select you main characters sprite... somehow? And one of the options looked a lot like Batman. Which I think was incongruous.

Maybe one of the enemies was a rabbit?

I have found and made peace with most of my other nightmare memories of interminable shareware and demo games, but this one eludes me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, this should be easy, but I can't seem to find it. It's a CGA golf game, you get to build your own courses, and you can put dinosaurs in it. I'm guessing it's from 1990 or thereabouts.

EDIT: Ok, so NOW I try and can find it no problem.

Reading further:

The one time I could have answered a dang question in the thread they go and answer it themselves.

I remember this because it was one of like 30 games preloaded on this ancient computer my stepmom had and then gave to me that was apparently the first consumer grade computer with a cd drive. I actually went to the trouble of trying to figure out based on old memories what they all were earlier this year but could only find references to about 20 of them or so.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Retroblique posted:

I believe Spaceship Warlock is what you're looking for!

It is! Thank you so much, drat how did I remember an alien taxi and not that crazy intro music

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Third person action adventure game for Xbox 360. You're trapped on a sinking ship and have to navigate tight corridors as they sink. The game was kind of a tech demo for its water physics but it has basically been forgotten to history.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hydrophobia?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lol what an apropos name that I would never think to look up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can't remember a shareware DOS game I played a few times. It was a run 'n gun platformer-shooter, the main character was a generic Duke Nukem type guy who may also have been a cyborg. The thing that made it unique were the graphics, they were made up of what I think were tons of sprites scaling and moving around to create a parallax scrolling effect with a lot of layers. It was quite disorienting to look at, enemies also exploded into showers of tiny sprites and stuff. It wasn't a great game but it had a unique look and I'd like to remember what it was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shibawanko posted:

I can't remember a shareware DOS game I played a few times. It was a run 'n gun platformer-shooter, the main character was a generic Duke Nukem type guy who may also have been a cyborg. The thing that made it unique were the graphics, they were made up of what I think were tons of sprites scaling and moving around to create a parallax scrolling effect with a lot of layers. It was quite disorienting to look at, enemies also exploded into showers of tiny sprites and stuff. It wasn't a great game but it had a unique look and I'd like to remember what it was.

Was it Electro Man/Electro Body?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Was it Electro Man/Electro Body?

No, it looked way freakier and took place outdoors from what I recall, the main character's sprite was also tall and I vaguely recall that he could kind of hover by using his boots as mini jetpacks or something

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Reading further:

Speaking of, what was the EGA golf game that I chiefly remember for the sample of an extremely Leonard Nimoy voice exclaiming 'great shot Jim!' (I may be misremembering 'Jim' but the sample was so nimoy-ish its burnt into my head that way)

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Shibawanko posted:

BioMenace?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have played that too but no, it has way more parallax scrolling, like if you take a single step everything moves in several layers, giving the illusion of 3D.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Chubby Henparty posted:

Speaking of, what was the EGA golf game that I chiefly remember for the sample of an extremely Leonard Nimoy voice exclaiming 'great shot Jim!' (I may be misremembering 'Jim' but the sample was so nimoy-ish its burnt into my head that way)

Your "Jim" memory might be from Links: The Challenge of Golf, which had "Looks like I hit the tree, Jim." Definitely not EGA, and definitely not very Nimoy, so probably not what you're looking for.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Shibawanko posted:

I have played that too but no, it has way more parallax scrolling, like if you take a single step everything moves in several layers, giving the illusion of 3D.

jim power had pretty ridiculous parallax, although i don't recall seeing rocket boots.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Your "Jim" memory might be from Links: The Challenge of Golf, which had "Looks like I hit the tree, Jim." Definitely not EGA, and definitely not very Nimoy, so probably not what you're looking for.

Thanks - this lead me back to World Class Leader Board which was apparently the 1988 precursor to 1990's Links, and used the exact same samples. Listening to it now, I kind of get where I got Nimoy from, as a dumb kid listening to samples being squeezed out the PC speaker.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

wb posted:

jim power had pretty ridiculous parallax, although i don't recall seeing rocket boots.

drat, this is pretty close in tone but it's still not the game I'm looking for, the one I mean also makes you dizzy though. I don't think it even had music and it might have been a shareware-only game from Europe or something.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shibawanko posted:

drat, this is pretty close in tone but it's still not the game I'm looking for, the one I mean also makes you dizzy though. I don't think it even had music and it might have been a shareware-only game from Europe or something.

I don’t know why I’m thinking of Turrican but I am. Probably wrong though!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm looking for an old adventure game. I'm going to say Mid 90's. I remember playing it on my cousin's computer around the same time that we were playing Rebel Assault II. This was on a windows PC, and the game came on a cd-rom. I think it was a pack-in.

The game had prerendered 3d graphics, which I think were similar to Rebel Assault II. It took place on a space station, or in a space ship. I remember that the menu/intro screen was like a ship airlock, and to start a new game you clicked on an open/dismantled space suit (as if you were putting the suit on). I only vaguely remember a few rooms. I'm pretty sure that didn't see your character on the screen, the view was from your perspective. The only puzzle I remember is one where there was a terrarium, and you needed to balance the amount of water, plant life, and animals in the terrarium. We never managed to do this.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Maybe Halloween Harry 1 or 2?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flannelette posted:

Maybe Halloween Harry 1 or 2?

No, sorry, these are all very similar in gameplay to the game I'm looking for, but the graphics were totally unique. You know how Ecstatica is made up of a bunch of spheres? It was kind of like that, except everything was made up of a ton of sprites parallax scrolling.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm looking for an old adventure game. I'm going to say Mid 90's. I remember playing it on my cousin's computer around the same time that we were playing Rebel Assault II. This was on a windows PC, and the game came on a cd-rom. I think it was a pack-in.

The game had prerendered 3d graphics, which I think were similar to Rebel Assault II. It took place on a space station, or in a space ship. I remember that the menu/intro screen was like a ship airlock, and to start a new game you clicked on an open/dismantled space suit (as if you were putting the suit on). I only vaguely remember a few rooms. I'm pretty sure that didn't see your character on the screen, the view was from your perspective. The only puzzle I remember is one where there was a terrarium, and you needed to balance the amount of water, plant life, and animals in the terrarium. We never managed to do this.

Any chance this is ASA: A Space Adventure?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shanty posted:

An rpg of some sort that appeared as a shareware version on a MacFormat CD at some point in the nineties. Top down grid deal, looked a lot like Exile or Odyssey, but I can't for the life of me think of any distinguishing features other than this:
You could... select you main characters sprite... somehow? And one of the options looked a lot like Batman. Which I think was incongruous.

Maybe one of the enemies was a rabbit?

I have found and made peace with most of my other nightmare memories of interminable shareware and demo games, but this one eludes me.

Kind of a long shot, but could it be Castle of the Winds? Top down RPG, on a grid... Not sure about the sprite though

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

No, sorry, these are all very similar in gameplay to the game I'm looking for, but the graphics were totally unique. You know how Ecstatica is made up of a bunch of spheres? It was kind of like that, except everything was made up of a ton of sprites parallax scrolling.

Platform Masters! :shepface:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shibawanko posted:

No, it looked way freakier and took place outdoors from what I recall, the main character's sprite was also tall and I vaguely recall that he could kind of hover by using his boots as mini jetpacks or something

https://youtu.be/FMX_jC38nAM

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Serperoth posted:

Kind of a long shot, but could it be Castle of the Winds? Top down RPG, on a grid... Not sure about the sprite though

Same sort of look, you're in the ball park. But no dice. Thanks though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Adventure game made in Sierra’s AGI engine. It’s basically John Carpenter’s The Thing with the aesthetic of original King’s Quest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

al-azad posted:

Adventure game made in Sierra’s AGI engine. It’s basically John Carpenter’s The Thing with the aesthetic of original King’s Quest.

The Dig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

al-azad posted:

It was called Enclosure.